PDA

View Full Version : Packers defense and our run game on offense

RashanGary
12-17-2012, 10:32 AM
9th in points
16th in yards allowed

I think they were freelancing Woodson a little too much early in the year. I don't think the other players are at that level where there is so much grey area. They were blowing coverages. Keeping the zone defense a little simpler has paid off for the other players.

Shields looked confident and decisive in his zone drops. Burnett, although he lacks range, is where he's supposed to be now. If they get beat, they're just getting beat. It's not the blown coverage thing. They're a great man team anyway. Williams and Shields stick with the WR's as good as anyone, especially down field.

In 2010 we dominated with 8 in the box nickel defense. Collins was the best player in the NFL at covering the deep middle. Shields and Williams were able to run with everyone outside. Our speed out there and back there was just sick.

This year is different. We can't just man up all of the time. Burnett just doesn't cover the ground Collins did. We need that extra player back to cover ground. If we're going to slow down the run game, we're going to have to do it with 7 in the box and keep our eyes toward the backfield like SF does, like Chicago was doing when they had all of their players healthy. There's a time and place to man up. Mixing coverages confuses QB's.

Look for a lot of turnovers and very few points down the stretch here. We're a top 10 defense in points right now. I could easily see us being a top 5 defense between now and the SB.

And then there is the run game. It's not great, but we've been putting AR in those (2nd and 7) / (3rd and 4) situations all QB's thrive in. It took 13 games to get it going, but it's just enough to turn time of possession in our favor and break that cover 2 defense. Between a more ball control offense and a defense really starting to come on it looks like we're rounding into a team that can match up against any team, unlike last year where our defense and run game were holes playoff teams could expose.

MM is making chili. He decided to put ingredients in that would take a little longer took a little longer to soak in. He just as easily could have whipped it up a little quicker and sat around with friends patting his back about how sure he was to win. It's been simmering for 14 weeks. This isn't your "whip up a batch of Sunday chili cuz you're too busy to cook on Monday and Tuesday." This is one of those yearly tradition cook-offs in Wisconsin where the best chili wins the sacred apron. Credit to MM for going for the gusto, for putting the work in to win it all. We're in this competition to win it. Just put your nose to the pot and take in the aroma. Soon enough we'll be tasting, what could be, the best chili in the show.

Cheesehead Craig
12-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Get that dang gum chili hot!

Bossman641
12-17-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm hungry for chili now.

Good analysis JH

George Cumby
12-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Really good post.

swede
12-17-2012, 11:50 AM
I made white chili yesterday. I guess that makes me the George Preston Marshall of chili cooks.

denverYooper
12-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Yah, nice writeup but I think the chili might be more of the cleaning out the cupboards variety -- injuries forced them to get more creative with the cooking (on the offensive side, anyway).

As for the D... The secondary has been gelling throughout the year. Woodson's injury might have been the best thing to happen to Casey Hayward's development. Also, I thought you'd go in a different direction with the Collins thing, but Shields being back there with his speed has given that backend an extra dimension. I bet that game Sunday will make some OC's think twice going downfield. They have a LOT of toys back there now, many on the same page. Add to that Brad Jones shutting down the problematic RB/FB(?) plays and you've got something going.

Add to that Raji coming on strong at the end of the year, Matthews returning, and Woodson coming back (still probably the most effective blitzer in the secondary) probably willing to throw himself around a bit for that last ring, and I feel like you're dead on about the TOs. If Mike Neal can stay healthy down the stretch, you're going to see a front that can force some balls to come out a little too early.

KYPack
12-17-2012, 12:06 PM
I noticed a little sea change in the front 7. Mike Neal appears to be healthy and makes contributions as a rush guy when they spot him in there. Mike Daniels will be a real good hand for us in the future, he's blurry quick off the snap and has a great motor.

The big thing I noticed was with the backers (not counting the presence of CMIII). Brad Jones wore the "hat" for this game. He got the calls over the helmet radio and made the base calls and audibles for the D. That's the first time I've seen that and it may be a view of things to come. Jones has played well inside this season. Bishop and Jones at ILB next season?

it might be.

pbmax
12-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I made white chili yesterday. I guess that makes me the George Preston Marshall of chili cooks.

Only if you don't allow brown chili in the house at all.

pbmax
12-17-2012, 12:52 PM
I noticed a little sea change in the front 7. Mike Neal appears to be healthy and makes contributions as a rush guy when they spot him in there. Mike Daniels will be a real good hand for us in the future, he's blurry quick off the snap and has a great motor.

The big thing I noticed was with the backers (not counting the presence of CMIII). Brad Jones wore the "hat" for this game. He got the calls over the helmet radio and made the base calls and audibles for the D. That's the first time I've seen that and it may be a view of things to come. Jones has played well inside this season. Bishop and Jones at ILB next season?

it might be.

I am with you on Jones. Different level of athleticism with him on passing downs. The Packers seem to be missing a great fit for a banger type ILB for between the tackle runs, but if Jones and Bishop can be assignment sure, it perhaps won't matter as much.

Patler
12-17-2012, 03:52 PM

it might be.

I think Jones has been making the D-calls since the first game he started. I'm fairly certain that was in an article after his first start this year.

Patler
12-17-2012, 04:02 PM
I found this from after Jones first game starting in place of Smith. The GBPG 10/22/2012:

In the wake of D.J. Smith’s season-ending knee injury against Houston two weeks ago, the fourth-year linebacker received his first career start playing inside during Sunday’s 30-20 win over St. Louis.

Jones, who made the conversion from outside to inside linebacker this offseason, assumed Smith’s role playing in all the team’s sub-packages, wearing the communication helmet from which plays were called into the huddle.

In his 60 defensive snaps, the 6-foot-3, 242-pound linebacker wasn’t as productive as Smith — he finished with only two tackles — but both Packers coach Mike McCarthy and defensive coordinator were happy with how Jones played in his second start in two years.

woodbuck27
12-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Mmmm smells and almost tastes....like what.....Ohhh

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSc0riUFIOX9SmjrTit-snxjl1tEb1VAXde9Hd35O89wJ013unW

GO PACK GO !

mission
12-17-2012, 05:49 PM
First -- great post, JH. You can really see things coming around full circle. I've always loved Sammy Shields and Hayward getting an opportunity is huge for this team's playoff run.

Jones is a massive difference. I can't believe some of his coverage sometimes: 3rd down breakup on a Larry Frickin Fitzgerald backshoulder play I believe; Forte down the sideline yesterday. His athleticism in the passing game makes us quickly forget that the Packers can't cover any tight ends. Remember that? Jones is WAY better than even the second-best (or third if you count Clay) coverage LB. He doesn't get a lot of love in the run game, but I saw him with some key stand-ups on Bears' RB second efforts to prevent that extra yard... he plays tough even if he isn't very big.

I'm sure you can even find a post of mine somewhere saying Jones needs to be cut, blah blah, thought we were screwed when Bishop/Smith went down... I can admit I was (way) wrong. I love what he brings to the squad. Bishop and Jones is B+/A- easy.

Freak Out
12-17-2012, 05:50 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/188nlw0tp7atrjpg/original.jpg

pbmax
12-17-2012, 06:53 PM
I want to see Raji do that dance.