PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Johnson closing in on Jerry Rice's receiving record

woodbuck27
12-19-2012, 11:43 AM
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/12/19/3781870/calvin-johnson-jerry-rice-receiving-record-detroit-lions

Calvin Johnson closing in on Jerry Rice's receiving record

By Sean Yuille on Dec 19, 2012

" With two weeks left in the season, Johnson is only 182 yards away from breaking Rice's receiving record. Johnson currently has 1,667 yards receiving this season, putting Rice's record of 1,848 yards well within reach. Johnson only needs to average 91 yards receiving a game in the final two weeks of the season to break Rice's record. " Fr. LINK

Comment woodbuck27:

Another outstanding NFC North player (along with Adrian Peterson) having a sensational season and aiming for Jerry Rice's prestigious total yards receiving record.

The fact that this record is set at 1849 yards and comparing that to Eric Dickerson's rushing record of 2105 makes Adrian Peterson's efforts 'already' at the head of the class for offensive player status in 2012. Incidently...about 80% of NFL fans (polls); say that AP will break the record that has stood since 1984.

Calvin Johnson and the total yards receiving record appears to be a LOCK to me with Matthew Stafford 'all over' Drew Bledsoe's seasonal pass attempts record set at 691. Matthew Stafford presently has 629 passing attempts.

MadtownPacker
12-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Peterson will likely break the record trying to get in the playoffs. Johnson will probably get it on some garbage time yardage.

MadScientist
12-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Peterson will likely break the record trying to get in the playoffs. Johnson will probably get it on some garbage time yardage.
Given the value of the rest of the Lions' season, the first snap is garbage-time.

sharpe1027
12-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Given the value of the rest of the Lions' season, the first snap is garbage-time.

Given the value of their entire franchise lately, garbage time started a long time ago.

Fritz
12-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Given the value of their entire franchise lately, garbage time started a long time ago.

According to Matt Stafford, the reason the Lions suck so hard this year is the number of injuries.:cry:

sharpe1027
12-19-2012, 04:01 PM
According to Matt Stafford, the reason the Lions suck so hard this year is the number of injuries.:cry:

Yes. It is unfortunate that the Lions were the only team with injury problems this year. It put them at a distinct advantage because no other teams that they played had injuries to key players. Perhaps teams should have sat some of their starters just to make it fair.

Joemailman
12-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Now I feel guilty about the Packers beating them twice.

Joemailman
12-19-2012, 07:19 PM

Hopefully he won't get it this week so he can get it against the Bears.

Fritz
12-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Now I feel guilty about the Packers beating them twice.

To the credit of some of the Detroit fans, after that article, several fans responded by reminding everyone that teams like the Packers suffered a bunch of injuries and still managed to play well enough to get into the playoffs.

I credit this to both Thompson, for drafting good players so there is depth, and MM, for coaching 'em up.

The Schvantz is 22-40 in season four. I think MM was something like 38-26. After that 8-8 there was the 13-3, then the fall back to 6-10, then, I think, 11-5.

The Schvantz went 2-14, 6-10, 10-6, and 4-10 so far. I know he has far less talent to work with than MM, though the team did return 21 of 22 starters from that playoff team to this year. Didn't seem to help.

I also read that 33 of the Lions' 53 players on the roster are free agents. Not a good sign. And I also read they are carrying over only about $1.9 mill of the salary cap, versus the Packers' 5.2 or so.

The Lions' future is not as bright as its fans thought a year ago.

Joemailman
12-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Lions started out 5-0 last year. They're 9-16 since then. I'd be worried about a talented young QB who should be ascending instead digressing into mediocrity despite having the best WR in the game to throw to.

Pugger
12-20-2012, 08:56 AM

Cry me a river Stafford!

Smeefers
12-20-2012, 08:57 AM
The Lions are still rebuilding. Sure, they have the chance to go deep due to their vast amount of talent, but the depth isn't even close to there. Since Johnson, they've hit on every single one of their first rounders. They even had a decent secondary, but when you have practice squad guys out there starting, there's no way you're going to compete unless you are extremely lucky, like we were with Zombo, Walden and Shields.

pbmax
12-20-2012, 09:34 AM
One problem with them, and it goes back to last year when things were going well, is their secondary. Between lack of depth and injuries, its a nightmare back there. If they could shore that up, then that would relieve some pressure on the front 7 and offense.

They need two solid draft classes and roster moves to shore up the DB and O line.

Fritz
12-20-2012, 10:55 AM
One problem with them, and it goes back to last year when things were going well, is their secondary. Between lack of depth and injuries, its a nightmare back there. If they could shore that up, then that would relieve some pressure on the front 7 and offense.

They need two solid draft classes and roster moves to shore up the DB and O line.

While Mayhew knocked it out of the park with the Roy Williams trade, and while he's scored with Stafford, Johnson, and Fairley, he has thus far shown an inability to draft well after round two, and a seeming lack of judgement in putting a roster together. He's pretty tight against the cap but has a decimated secondary and an aging offensive line. He's drafted both injury risks (Broyles) and character risks (young, Fairley).

If he cannot produce past the second round and manage the cap better _ and find someone to coach Stafford _ then he's got big trouble.

pbmax
12-20-2012, 11:02 AM
While Mayhew knocked it out of the park with the Roy Williams trade, and while he's scored with Stafford, Johnson, and Fairley, he has thus far shown an inability to draft well after round two, and a seeming lack of judgement in putting a roster together. He's pretty tight against the cap but has a decimated secondary and an aging offensive line. He's drafted both injury risks (Broyles) and character risks (young, Fairley).

If he cannot produce past the second round and manage the cap better _ and find someone to coach Stafford _ then he's got big trouble.

I know he is from the cap side of the football operation, does he do the drafting or does his college personnel guy call the shots?

Fritz
12-20-2012, 03:24 PM
I know he is from the cap side of the football operation, does he do the drafting or does his college personnel guy call the shots?

I am not sure but given the lack of press about the college personnel guy, I would say it's Mayhew. Some speculation that the Fords push for offense to keep the fans in seats.

George Cumby
12-20-2012, 06:33 PM
To the credit of some of the Detroit fans, after that article, several fans responded by reminding everyone that teams like the Packers suffered a bunch of injuries and still managed to play well enough to get into the playoffs.

I credit this to both Thompson, for drafting good players so there is depth, and MM, for coaching 'em up.

The Schvantz is 22-40 in season four. I think MM was something like 38-26. After that 8-8 there was the 13-3, then the fall back to 6-10, then, I think, 11-5.

The Schvantz went 2-14, 6-10, 10-6, and 4-10 so far. I know he has far less talent to work with than MM, though the team did return 21 of 22 starters from that playoff team to this year. Didn't seem to help.

I also read that 33 of the Lions' 53 players on the roster are free agents. Not a good sign. And I also read they are carrying over only about $1.9 mill of the salary cap, versus the Packers' 5.2 or so.

The Lions' future is not as bright as its fans thought a year ago.

ThanksTed!

Fritz
12-21-2012, 11:37 AM
ThanksTed!

What a difficult job - because Thompson has drafted well, and despite what seems his careful management of the cap, the team stands to lose some good players to FA the next couple years.

So Thompson must continue to draft really well to fill the holes created by successful players leaving. There is no resting on laurels.

I hope TT is as passionate about scouting and drafting as ever. It's his big edge over many other GM's.

woodbuck27
12-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Calvin Johnson breaks Jerry Rice’s single-season receiving yardage record.

By Doug Farrar

Shutdown Corner – 48 minutes ago

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/calvin-johnson-breaks-jerry-rice-single-season-receiving-051259888--nfl.html

Despite the fact that every defense he faces focuses on him almost exclusively, the absence of any consistent target to take the heat off of him, and a quarterback in Matthew Stafford whose productivity and mechanics have been inconsistent to say the least, "Megatron" has performed as few receivers ever have. And with 2:57 left in the Lions' Saturday night loss to the Atlanta Falcons, he broke Jerry Rice's single-season record for receiving yardage with a 26-yard catch from Stafford.

comment woodbuck27:

Calvin Johnson had 11 receptions and 225 yards in this game and his record now sits at 1892 yards and counting with one game remaining in the regular season. He's looking good for a 2000+ yard season. Another great season from another great player from the NFC North. Besides breaking Jerry Rice's seasonal total yards receiving record he added the following records tonight:

** Set a record for over 100 yards receiving for the eighth straight game, breaking the old record, set by Charley Henningan in 1961 and tied by Michael Irvin in 1995.

** Set a league record for the fourth game in a row in which he caught at least 10 passes.

** He tied Michael Irvin's mark of 11... 100-yard games in a single season.

** He set a new NFL record for catches in a single month with 44 and has one more game remaining in December.

An exceptional season for Megatron.

Kiwon
12-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Random thoughts.....

Ha! Matt Millen did something right. Will Lions fans remember?

108 yards from 2,000 - Very doable and very incredible. 2,000 yards for a single receiver, wow!

Credit CJ for staying healthy. Good genes, training, luck, etc...whatever. He does his part to stay on the field.

Credit CJ for getting open when everyone knows that he will be the main target.

Credit Stafford for getting him the ball. CJ can't catch what isn't being thrown.

The Ford family should make sure CJ is the face of the franchise rather than the no-conscience, cheapshot artist known as Suh.

woodbuck27
12-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Random thoughts.....

Ha! Matt Millen did something right. Will Lions fans remember?

108 yards from 2,000 - Very doable and very incredible. 2,000 yards for a single receiver, wow!

Credit CJ for staying healthy. Good genes, training, luck, etc...whatever. He does his part to stay on the field.

Credit CJ for getting open when everyone knows that he will be the main target.

Credit Stafford for getting him the ball. CJ can't catch what isn't being thrown.

The Ford family should make sure CJ is the face of the franchise rather than the no-conscience, cheapshot artist known as Suh.

It's a little sad such a waste of a phenomenal talent.

To see a man have such a huge game and at the same time, his team get thrashed! That's sad.

RashanGary
12-23-2012, 07:47 AM
The strength of TO and the speed of Randy Moss. I'm sure there are things TO did better, and things Moss did better. Overall, CJ might be the best we've seen.

red
12-23-2012, 09:48 AM
The strength of TO and the speed of Randy Moss. I'm sure there are things TO did better, and things Moss did better. Overall, CJ might be the best we've seen.

and most importantly ....

the attitude of neither

Pugger
12-23-2012, 10:01 AM

I'm glad a guy like Megatron broke the record instead of a goofball like Moss or TO.

woodbuck27
12-23-2012, 09:15 PM

He's expensive but imagine him lining up with Aaron Rodgers.