PDA

View Full Version : DEADWOOD SEASON FINALE!

No Mo Moss
08-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Does anyone else watch this amazing show. The season three finale is Sunday and rumors are it may be the series finale as none of the actors are signed for the fourth season yet. I for one am pumped beyond belief!

FavreChild
08-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Best. Show. Ever.

I've heard there will possibly be a few feature-length "movies" to wrap up the story in lieu of season four? Hate to end a good story, but unfortunately Deadwood *did* come to an end.

Partial
08-21-2006, 10:37 PM
They talk about this show on Bob and Brian with Steve CZaban about one a week. I am thinking about checking it out on DVD, so please don't post spoilers!!!

FavreChild
08-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Be sure to start at the very beginning. It is a difficult show to watch, but if you commit to it....you'll be hooked. You'll be worshipping at the alter of Albert Swearengen (a.k.a. "Swigen").

Ah...I miss The Gem Saloon already. :mrgreen:

FavreChild
08-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Oh, and know that it's incredibly historically accurate. Most of the main characters were real residents of Deadwood.

SkinBasket
08-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Best. Show. Ever.

I've heard there will possibly be a few feature-length "movies" to wrap up the story in lieu of season four? Hate to end a good story, but unfortunately Deadwood *did* come to an end.

From what I've gathered, there's 2 two hour finals after this last normal episode.

test
08-22-2006, 08:19 AM
The show is awesome. Gotta make sure the kids are in beds and can't hear it in order to watch it though.

Cocksuckers.

KYPack
08-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Yes,

Can't believe Deadwood is done.

The producer has already moved on & is shooting a new series for HBO about surfers. This will be the finale.

Bretsky
08-22-2006, 08:44 AM
The show is awesome. Gotta make sure the kids are in beds and can't hear it in order to watch it though.

Cocksuckers.

Can somebody give me a paragraph summation on what the show is about ? Sounds like I may have missed a good one.

B

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 09:01 AM
B, it's the *true* story of the outlaw camp of Deadwood, South Dakota. People come to the lawless town with dreams of striking it rich with a gold claim, or they just come to indulge in booze, women and gambling without reproach. The story centers on the power struggles that ensue as the camp moves toward civilization and establishing a government.

Vivid, graphic portrayal of life in a lawless camp. I'm sure you'd especially enjoy the Gem Saloon scenes, Bretsky, along with the other houses of repute.

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Cocksuckers.

A.k.a. the most oft uttered phrase on the show.

For more info., see http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/about/

test
08-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Cocksuckers.

A.k.a. the most oft uttered phrase on the show.

For more info., see http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/about/

lol....yes that phase is on the show a LOT. My favorites is when Jane, the drunk, possible lesbian, goes on a tirade.

Bubba "hotdog&quot
08-22-2006, 10:15 AM
LOVE it!! We used to try and play the "C.S." drinking game but they say it way to much to keep up!!! Im a sucker for westerns though! I have been a little dissapointed with the last few episodes, , not as much action as I expect.
It is truly an awesome show though!!! I will miss it if it doesnt come back, , , luckily its football season !!!!!

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 10:55 AM
My favorites is when Jane, the drunk, possible lesbian, goes on a tirade.

Calamity Jane, what a gal. I think my favorite Jane scenes are:

Season one, when she finds Andy Cramed in the woods with the plague and he keeps saying, "I apologize."

Season three, when she says, "Custer is a c*nt" and then visits the school children to tell them about scouting for Custer.

Of course all her drunken rantings are great. And every time she yells at Mose, "you fat f*ck!"

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 10:56 AM
BRETSKY BONUS: I know you said not to post spoilers, but it may interest you to know that you'd find a smattering of grailism scenes througout the show's run.

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 11:21 AM
http://www.tvguide.com/NR/rdonlyres/9944F36D-87BB-4C14-A8AF-5C623FA0DAAA/11944/060811insider4.jpg

"The direction of this camp makes me f*cking sick. And it bores the shit out of me. C*cksuckers!"

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 05:35 PM
http://www.tvguide.com/NR/rdonlyres/9944F36D-87BB-4C14-A8AF-5C623FA0DAAA/11944/060811insider4.jpg

"The direction of this camp makes me f*cking sick. And it bores the shit out of me. C*cksuckers!"

Hey FavreChild your cool, Ehh. :mrgreen:

Any brothers?

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Nope, but believe it or not, I watch Deadwood religiously with my pop and stepmom. I'll borrow from Madtown and assert that the family who watches Deadwood together, stays together. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Nope, but believe it or not, I watch Deadwood religiously with my pop and stepmom. I'll borrow from Madtown and assert that the family who watches Deadwood together, stays together. :mrgreen:

First I heard of this series. What Network is it affiliated with FavreChild?

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 06:20 PM
HBO. The language/dialogue used is said to be thoroughly researched (and historically accurate).

See http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/about/ to read more about the series...

SkinBasket
08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
HBO. The language/dialogue used is said to be thoroughly researched (and historically accurate).

See http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/about/ to read more about the series...

Which, as mentioned earlier, can be a bit confusing at first. After the first episode, my wife and I looked at each other and both asked "what the fuck were they talking about?" After getting used to the dialect, it gets a lot easier.

I thought season two overdid the dialect and speech patterns a bit and made the show even harder to understand. That and the plodding season two plot made it kind of crappy. Seasons one and three are much better.

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Yes, you really have to pay attention, and sometimes you also need to infer what is happening from body language and other physical cues to understand what is going on.

Beyond the cussing, the language is otherwise much more formal that we are accustomed to. And very rarely are the characters (except perhaps Swearengen) direct in their meaning/intention when conversing.

(BTW, it really wasn't until FDR that American speech shifted to the more direct, plain style of speech known as the feminine style of rhetoric.)

But the dialogue (and its accuracy) is, of course, a big part of what makes the show so brilliant. It's really a very gritty presentation of life in a lawless camp.

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 07:53 PM
I thought season two overdid the dialect and speech patterns a bit and made the show even harder to understand. That and the plodding season two plot made it kind of crappy. Seasons one and three are much better.

Yeah, season 2 started out a bit slow, and then it was confusing with Yankton vs. Montana and all that go-between. And it wasn't the same when Al was sick and out of the picture (except the scene where Dority yells at Wu). And I know a lot of people thought there was too much drama with "the widow" and Mrs. Bullock. And also the storyline with Wolcott, just because he was absolutely deplorable. But still better than anything else on TV.

KYPack
08-22-2006, 08:06 PM
FC, I'm a big Deadwood Fan.

You are right on the mark about the language.

In that era, if you wanted to show class, you spoke like an upper class Englishmen. So you even have rough types like Bullock demonstrating the strange convoluted manner of speaking, when they are in a social setting. That butts up against some real rough and tumble people like crooks and buffalo skinners, who could give a shit less about social niceties.

Deadwood was a for real lawless boomtown, like the Klondike or the cattle towns & all kinds of wild shit went down up there. Deadwood was in Indian territory and there was literally no law at that time.

The real Deadwood was every bit as wild as it's portrayed in the series. in it's heydey, Deadwood averaged a murder a nite!

The townspeople had to clean it up for the sake of their own survival.

i can't believe the show is cancelled. it's ratings were excellent for a cable show.

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Add'l news of possible interest (from TVenvy.com):

Yesterday, Variety reported that Paul Giamatti will play John Adams in a seven episode HBO miniseries based on the David McCullogh bestseller John Adams. Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman are executive producing the project, which begins filming in Virgina in January, and is slated to air in seven hour-long parts starting in March 2008.

The miniseries will focus on Adams’ time as a Massachusetts lawyer working behind the scenes to facilitate the American Revolution rather than on his time as the second President. I have not read McCullogh’s book, but apparently it is partly based on the famous correspondence between Adams and his wife Abigail during the period (these letters are also immortalized in the musical 1776).

I’m very excited by the idea of this project, and I think Giamatti is a great choice to play Adams. I was just rewatching Cinderella Man, a highly underrated movie, last night, and he’s great in it. I’m glad he’s moving on to bigger and better things after the fiasco of Lady in the Water. I also can’t wait to see who else will be cast. This almost makes up for the cancellation of Deadwood, HBO--but only almost. Actually, no, it doesn’t, but it’s a good start at getting back in my good graces.

KYPack
08-23-2006, 09:50 AM
HBO made some great strides with Deadwood & I'm sorry to see it go. There are a TON of great actors in that show. It's one of the best series I've ever seen. I Tivo it every week.

My two favorite scenes were Bullock screwing the widow and the fight between Dan & Hearst's man. There have probably been a million sex and fight scenes filmed by now, but those two were different. Both of 'em had a couple extra layers of realism. The sex scene actually looked like two horny people trying to tear each other up. The fight scene really looked like two bad-ass guys trying to kill one another.

My biggest disappointment was how they used Powers Boothe. My greatest hope for the 2nd season was the addition of Boothe. That man is a great actor. He can really play an evil, sneaky sumbitch with lots of hidden sides to his personality. In Deadwood, he just seemed like a leering pervert.

I think HBO decided to kill Deadwood and it's high production costs to avoid another Sopranos situation. HBO kis laying out a ton of bread to keep the Spranos goin'. Think of the costs of the cast if Deadwood became a megahit!

SkinBasket
08-23-2006, 11:11 AM
i can't believe the show is cancelled. it's ratings were excellent for a cable show.

I dont think its a matter of being cancelled. After how the Sopranos (the series that really started this current trend of HBO/Showtime Series) has dragged out before coming to a stumbling end, I think HBO reevaluated the arcs of their shows. Unlike network TV, where a show will be milked several seasons after it should have ended, it seems they're making an attempt to be a little more concise, and dare i say it - true to the plots of the shows, which means when a show runs it's course, its over - no matter how good it is. Of course with the relatively new-found popularity of these cable series, there's always more waiting in the wings.

One show that did end before it's time that I was sad about was Dead Like Me on Showtime. Funny, clever, and interesting shit with a great cast. I also recommend Weeds on Showtime, especially to Madtown.

KYPack
08-23-2006, 06:32 PM

I dont think its a matter of being cancelled. After how the Sopranos (the series that really started this current trend of HBO/Showtime Series) has dragged out before coming to a stumbling end, I think HBO reevaluated the arcs of their shows. Unlike network TV, where a show will be milked several seasons after it should have ended, it seems they're making an attempt to be a little more concise, and dare i say it - true to the plots of the shows, which means when a show runs it's course, its over - no matter how good it is. Of course with the relatively new-found popularity of these cable series, there's always more waiting in the wings.

One show that did end before it's time that I was sad about was Dead Like Me on Showtime. Funny, clever, and interesting shit with a great cast. I also recommend Weeds on Showtime, especially to Madtown.

Good points.

HBO doesn't really give a shit if a show is highly rated. They want buzz to get on more systems and get new subscribers. The key there is "NEW". Theywant new highly rated shows that create more subscriber and system revenue.

I don't have Showtime, Skin, any other cable favs?

SkinBasket
08-23-2006, 08:52 PM
I assume you watch Rome if you have HBO. I actually enjoyed Rome better than Deadwood. I think it's because I can relate to Titus. That and I think the cast is actually a tad stronger than Deadwoods.

I was never really a fan of Carnivale. Sometimes when you dip too far into mysticism, you kind of lose focus on what people can grasp. At that time of night, I'm usually drunk, which means I need clear, concise plots and characters, not riddles and confusing subplots. Fucking subplots.

Unfortunately, it is only scheduled for 2 seasons. Well, better 2 good seasons than 5 unremarkable ones.

No Mo Moss
08-24-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't know if this has run its course yet though. After only 3 season I think you could do some more with it. I know none of the actors were resigned yet, but that doesn't mean its over. I think if they would have resigned people then we would all know who lives and dies. I have a feeling a lot of people will die in this last one. I dare not speculate.

I agree with Favre child. Start at the beginning and be patient with some of the episodes that are a little slow. Once it gets going you'll be unable to leave the television.

SkinBasket
08-24-2006, 02:17 PM
but that doesn't mean its over.

Yeah, actually it does. We aren't kidding.

KYPack
08-25-2006, 08:08 AM
I assume you watch Rome if you have HBO. I actually enjoyed Rome better than Deadwood. I think it's because I can relate to Titus. That and I think the cast is actually a tad stronger than Deadwoods.

I was never really a fan of Carnivale. Sometimes when you dip too far into mysticism, you kind of lose focus on what people can grasp. At that time of night, I'm usually drunk, which means I need clear, concise plots and characters, not riddles and confusing subplots. Fucking subplots.

Unfortunately, it is only scheduled for 2 seasons. Well, better 2 good seasons than 5 unremarkable ones.

"Rome" is excellent. I assumed it went another year, but really hadn't heard yet.

The ONLY redeeming factor in "Carnivale" was observing the aging process on Adrienne Barbeau. That was a phony, ponderous piece of shit.

I really liked "The Wire". It had some compelling characters, good storylines, but then it tripped and fell. Kind of like the '89 Pack.

Watch "Entourage" after Deadwood. It comes off like a teen deal, but it ain't. It's got a lot of great adult themed shit and a lot of dark Hollywood humor. DON't watch that thing with "Louie" in the title. The whole point of the show is to have Louie's wife catch him jacking off.

Hey, maybe ya would like it!

SkinBasket
08-25-2006, 08:38 AM
I've never gotten into Entourage. My family watches it and says its good, but we really have a limited attention span when it comes to tv shows, so we have to be a bit selective. I always thought The Wire looked like a revamped version of 21 Jump Street. I could be wrong on that. Lucky Louie looks like some dipshit's pet project at HBO. I wouldn't doubt that Whoopie is behind it somehow.

Carnivale was one of those examples of why some control should be put on "artistic license." You literally had to do 4 hours research on every other statement made by a character in the show to understand WTF they "really" meant. After a while, getting drunk and watching the boobies was good enough for me. I don't think I even listened to the characters by episode 5. I just watched them run to and fro (especially the young, hot lesbians) and got the gist of it.

You forgot the mormon show. That one's pretty good. I enjoy a straight forward character driven piece.

KYPack
08-25-2006, 03:54 PM
All the HBO stuff has some merit.

My sister-inlaw was a "6ft under" freak. I looked at it, but realized I might get hooked on it.

Nip/Tuck was too pop for me. Titlization only.

Are there any other non-premium channel show that anybody digs?

K-town
08-25-2006, 04:12 PM
All the HBO stuff has some merit.

My sister-inlaw was a "6ft under" freak. I looked at it, but realized I might get hooked on it.

Nip/Tuck was too pop for me. Titlization only.

Are there any other non-premium channel show that anybody digs?

Rescue Me is great. Dennis Leary is awesome.
Also, The Shield. Best Cop show EVER.
Battlestar Galactica (I know purists out there will whine about Starbuck being a girl, but hey, in the 1970s, Dirk Benedict was pretty damn close to being a girl. With that feathered back 70s hair, he looked just like Farrah. In fact, come to think of it, they never were seen together at the same time) :mrgreen:

I'm trying to think of network shows I like. Lost, 24, My Name is Earl...and that's it. Prime time TV from the four and a half major broadcast networks
blows dead goats.

KYPack
08-28-2006, 09:29 AM
This is the Deadwood thread & I gotta complain to somebody.

This show is running outta gas as bad as any show since Nip/Tuck or 24.

The show last nite was the biggest piece of crap I've seen in years. Go ahead and go off the air DWood. I could now give a shit less!

They concluded several story arcs in the most dissappointing fashion I've ever seen. Get outta here & don't let the knob hit ya in the ass!

Partial
08-28-2006, 09:41 AM

The show last nite was the biggest piece of crap I've seen in years. Go ahead and go off the air DWood. I could now give a shit less!

They concluded several story arcs in the most dissappointing fashion I've ever seen. Get outta here & don't let the knob hit ya in the ass!

On a different note, what is Nip/Tuck? I've always wondered that.

KYPack
08-28-2006, 11:07 AM

On a different note, what is Nip/Tuck? I've always wondered that.

Nip/Tuck follows the lives of two Miami plastic surgeons, Sean McNamara (Dylan Walsh) and Christian Troy (Julian McMahon). The show, while not strictly a soap opera, has some story arcs. In its 1st season, Nip/Tuck was the highest-rated new series on cable. It's an FX show and opened explosively and is now petering (accidental pun) out.

There were only so may graphic operations and 3 ways you can show before they get boring.

The one Doc was a pervert and the other one was conflicted. People get sick of perverts and troubled people, so the show is running out of gas.