PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs. Vikings Discussion Thread

Joemailman
12-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Game has been switched to 3:25 P.M.

Both teams with tons to play for. Packers can wrap 1st round bye. Vikings can wrap up wild-card spot.

esoxx
12-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Time to drive a stake through the heart of their playoff hopes. Sweet

RashanGary
12-23-2012, 10:53 PM
If CJ Wilson comes back, we have a lot of beef up front, and a lot of depth. I think Woodson would be a nice piece considering Ponder likes to throw over the middle so much. I like our matchup against the Vikings. Our running game is starting to take off too. I just don't see the Vikings on our level, even at home. AR has been impressive in domes. I see no reason for that to stop now.

After this week, I'm thinking the Packers will be the NFC favorite.

Joemailman
12-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Time to drive a stake through the heart of their playoff hopes. Sweet

The only drawback being that a Packer win will likely put the Bears in the playoffs. Oh well. Watching Cutler self-destruct against a good defense is always good fun.

RashanGary
12-24-2012, 12:15 AM
We have a chance to keep AP down, keep him from his 2,000 yard season. . . If AR shines, and AP has a poor game, we knock him off his MVP pedestal too. We have a lot of reasons to get up for this game. Hopefully CJ Wilson is back for this one. Would be great to have some big boys up front who can stop the run.

denverYooper
12-24-2012, 08:37 AM
If CJ Wilson comes back, we have a lot of beef up front, and a lot of depth. I think Woodson would be a nice piece considering Ponder likes to throw over the middle so much. I like our matchup against the Vikings. Our running game is starting to take off too. I just don't see the Vikings on our level, even at home. AR has been impressive in domes. I see no reason for that to stop now.

After this week, I'm thinking the Packers will be the NFC favorite.

No doubt a few prognosticators will pick them. The darling pick at the moment is likely to be the Seahawks, though.

Pugger
12-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Seattle is great at home but are they the same team on the road against playoff quality teams?

Freak Out
12-24-2012, 11:51 AM
SEA is going to be tough even on the road...now I'm not sure how the suspensions and appeals will play out but those guys can bring it. That O-line can run block pretty well and that is going to be big.

Tony Oday
12-24-2012, 12:11 PM
I think on the fast track carpet of the toilet dome the Packers Offense puts up 400 yards passing 100 yards runing and scores 7 TDs. Vikes dont have the firepower and AP is held under 75 yards and no TDs.

George Cumby
12-24-2012, 01:53 PM
I think on the fast track carpet of the toilet dome the Packers Offense puts up 400 yards passing 100 yards runing and scores 7 TDs. Vikes dont have the firepower and AP is held under 75 yards and no TDs.

Yawp. Something like that. Stack the box because Ponder isn't going to beat us, control AP, make a statement.

digitaldean
12-24-2012, 01:58 PM
SEA is going to be tough even on the road...now I'm not sure how the suspensions and appeals will play out but those guys can bring it. That O-line can run block pretty well and that is going to be big.

Sherman and Browner would miss the playoffs if suspensions are upheld.

pbmax
12-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Sherman and Browner would miss the playoffs if suspensions are upheld.

I think one of them already served the suspension.

denverYooper
12-24-2012, 03:32 PM
I think one of them already served the suspension.

Ya, Browner took his first. They staggered them.

Browner was the guy who bodyslammed Jennings in the first game. I bet he won't get away with that again.

rbaloha1
12-24-2012, 09:13 PM
The Packers are on a roll -- shall slowly and methodically destroy the Vikings.

Freak Out
12-26-2012, 01:50 PM
God damn Seachicks are playing the same time as the Packers....I know what game the local FOX DBs will show now.

RashanGary
12-26-2012, 01:57 PM
thefirstrow.au

It's awesome. Quality might not be up to HD standards, but you can watch the game live. Just make sure to close all of the popups. Don't click on the "you need to download this or that" links. You'll be able to close them if you wait a little bit for the close icons to come up.

Fritz
12-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Same here. Typical Pete Carroll production. Gaudy numbers, big headlines. Pack would do well to win Sunday and keep the Seabags from getting a home game.

Pugger
12-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Unless things go to screwy I can't see SF losing to AZ at home. Isn't that the only way the seachickens get a home playoff game even if we lost to MN?

woodbuck27
12-26-2012, 02:51 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9dVB?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=minnesota-vikings

Packers admire Peterson, but don't want to give up record

QBME
12-26-2012, 02:58 PM
thefirstrow.au

It's awesome. Quality might not be up to HD standards, but you can watch the game live. Just make sure to close all of the popups. Don't click on the "you need to download this or that" links. You'll be able to close them if you wait a little bit for the close icons to come up.

correct extension is .eu, not.au (thefirstrow.eu)

Bossman641
12-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Unless things go to screwy I can't see SF losing to AZ at home. Isn't that the only way the seachickens get a home playoff game even if we lost to MN?

Yes, you are correct. Packers are locked into either the 2 or 3 seed. If SF wins at home they are either the 2 seed (Packer loss) or 3 seed (Packer win).

I'd be fine with Bears getting the 6 seed. It more than likely keeps Lovie around another year and keeps the Giants out of the playoffs.

woodbuck27
12-26-2012, 03:23 PM
God damn Seachicks are playing the same time as the Packers....I know what game the local FOX DBs will show now.

I just checked for the games on TV at 4:25 PM Sunday 30 Dec. KO time on our Satellite Programming and I 'only' see:

Arizona @ San Fran

KC @ Denver

St. Louis @ Seattle

Nothing for Green Bay @ Minnesota and that surprizes me. No ... that shocks me.

Adrian Peterson is going for the ' ALL TIME Season Rushing ' Record and it's not being covered. A huge game for both the PACKERS and Vikings and it's being ignored !

That sucks HUGELY !!

Tony Oday
12-26-2012, 03:27 PM
KFAN is going nuts with Purple Pride. This is hilarious they think they have a chance!

Fritz
12-26-2012, 04:31 PM
KFAN is going nuts with Purple Pride. This is hilarious they think they have a chance!

Well, they do have a chance. It should be a good game. I predict a tough, tough battle. The game, I think, will come down to a final possession.

Freak Out
12-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Sounds like Cobb won't play due to injury.

Pugger
12-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Sounds like Cobb won't play due to injury.

Where did you hear that? I heard they won't decide until Saturday.

RashanGary
12-26-2012, 05:53 PM
We're going to break their will. After the game, they're going to think, "what if we didn't have to play the Green Bay Packers in the final game, we'd be in the playoffs."

And we'll be thinking about a bye week and about how we shut out the media darling / no way he should get an MVPeterson

Guiness
12-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Yes, you are correct. Packers are locked into either the 2 or 3 seed. If SF wins at home they are either the 2 seed (Packer loss) or 3 seed (Packer win).

I'd be fine with Bears getting the 6 seed. It more than likely keeps Lovie around another year and keeps the Giants out of the playoffs.

Agreed with keeping the Giants out of the playoffs.

The way they've been getting taken apart on a regular basis, but got 'up' for the game against the Pack scares me, and makes me want no part of them.

woodbuck27
12-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Agreed with keeping the Giants out of the playoffs.

The way they've been getting taken apart on a regular basis, but got 'up' for the game against the Pack scares me, and makes me want no part of them.

Yes.

I want the GIANTS licking their wounds and regrouping for next season. Not the word 'GIANTS' in the same sentence with '2012 NFL playoffs'.

woodbuck27
12-26-2012, 06:02 PM
We're going to break their will. After the game, they're going to think, "what if we didn't have to play the Green Bay Packers in the final game, we'd be in the playoffs."

And we'll be thinking about a bye week and about how we shut out the media darling / no way he should get an MVPeterson

Ohh NO! Now you've done it.

The 2012 NFL MVP Award will be coined for all time now as:

The MVPeterson.

RashanGary
12-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Five things I'm going to be watching, in no particular order:

1 - Our zone defense, especially if we're not ahead by a lot and the Vikings can stick with their run game. We're going to have to play zone defense. We've seemed to finally get it together, but this is the exact type of team that can put us to the test. We're going to have to keep our eyes to the backfield on almost every play. Peterson's play speaks for itself, but Ponder is also an athletic QB. This game could tell us a lot about our ability to stack up against quality rushing offenses (see Seattle, SF, Minn.) The Falcons are balances. We'll have to mix it up with them. The Redskins have RG3. We'll have to keep our eyes to the backfield with them. . . Our zone defense is going to be very important in the playoffs. I'll lose a lot of confidence if the secondary looks lost the way it has in the not so distant past. This is the test.

2 - Our running game. It's been getting better and better, but a stumble here might say a lot about if it's real or if our running game is a pretender.

3 - Mason Crosby. His kicks weren't too bad last week. The long one hit the upright, but it was a long kick. It was no gimme. Hopefully he shows us that he's rounding into shape

4 - Aaron Rodgers continuing to take steps with his passing weapons. I do think Cobb will be out this week. It's not incredibly worrisome to me, just because he's a really smart player. He knows where to be. That won't change after one missed game. Jennings seems to be getting better each week. I want to see that take yet another step. I'd like to see Finley continue to progress. I'd love to see Nelson come in and look playoff ready, or at least close. GJ looking like GJ is huge too. He's a legit #1. Play like it and I love our passing attack.

5 - Health, especially on the DL and OL. We're going to need our big guys to be healthy. We don't have enough of them on offense, and on defense, they're just starting to take off. We have a bye week coming up, hopefully. If those guys can stay healthy, they're going to benefit greatly from a week off. Everyone knows players wear down over the season. Being able to get a couple really good lifts in and being able to rest their joints will be huge. We could be looking at a beast of a DL with Raji, Pick, Neal and Wilson/Worthy/Daniels being key situational backups. As far as the OL goes, it's more about us just simply not being able to afford an injury at OT. We lose one of those guys, and we're looking at trouble. The other player defensive player is Clay Matthews. He's had a couple weeks to get into football shape. A few weeks on, a week off to get his body 100% is ideal. A healthy week for him makes for a fucking beast coming off a bye week. The last player is AR. He's been historically impressive coming off bye weeks. The way he plays, the hit's he's taken and will take in the playoffs, the way he runs. . . . Having that guy at or near 100% is just plain scary.

A lot of things can happen going into this post season run. Lose one superstar player (AR/Matthews) and we're all but screwed. If we get beat up in some important places, we're looking at a very tough road, playing against what looks like teams who can take advantage of any weakness. We need to continue to get better. Winning the SB is extremely difficult, to say the least. Taking hits to the health of our team would make it even harder. And then there's the fact that we're just starting to show signs of being elite. If we see something like we saw earlier in the season or against the Giants, it's not going to look good for our chances against playoff teams, even if we have played extremely well as of late.

HUGE GAME. Huge for more reasons than just the bye week. Strap yourself up for a very important game here. Get on the edge of your seat right now because even if we get out to a lead we're one big injury away from a horrible shot to our SB hopes.

Freak Out
12-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Where did you hear that? I heard they won't decide until Saturday.

The beat writers on Twitter...saw some comments today saying it would be very suprising.

Freak Out
12-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Michael Rodney was the guy...does he know what he is talking about? Beats me....

Cheesehead Craig
12-27-2012, 09:24 AM

A good number of Vikes fans up here are pretty much guaranteeing a Vikes win this Sunday and then again at Lambeau the next week as if the Vikes win, it's a rematch in the opening round. They of course are doing it in their classy way of opening rooting that several Packer players get injured.

Tony Oday
12-27-2012, 10:08 AM
A good number of Vikes fans up here are pretty much guaranteeing a Vikes win this Sunday and then again at Lambeau the next week as if the Vikes win, it's a rematch in the opening round. They of course are doing it in their classy way of opening rooting that several Packer players get injured.

We are going to dominate the Vikings...we are going to roll over this team like we did the Titans!

mmmdk
12-27-2012, 01:01 PM
I do not like the Vikings; sorry Rastak!

Packers4Glory
12-28-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm off the AP to break the record. I don't think it would be good for us if he even approached 200 yards again. If he could have had a bigger game vs the Texans and managed to knock that dickhead Dickerson off his perch I'd have not complained if we still won the game. But as someone mentioned above, if we can hold him under 2000 and Rodgers has a big day, that will help Rodgers case for MVP even tho I feel like the award is Mannings or AP's...I even feel like Brady is getting more love than AR.

It would be nice to see Cobb play but I don't see a need to rush him. I'd rather have him 100% for the playoffs before I risk him much in this game if at all. Same for Nelson. If he's able to go I'd get him in but I wouldn't push him either. This is going to be a tricky line to walk w/ our injured guys because the #2 seed is on the line.

Speaking of injuries, whats the word on Woodson? It would be nice if he could be back and get some reps in to knock off a little rust.

Fritz
12-28-2012, 09:10 AM
No Woodson. Docs have ruled him out.

I do not think Cobb will play. This will let him rest but also give Nelson and Jennings a chance to integrate a little bit.

mraynrand
12-28-2012, 09:19 AM
... also give Nelson and Jennings a chance to integrate a little bit.

will they bus them to the same school?

Tony Oday
12-28-2012, 09:23 AM
I think the Vikes get beat so bad they stop building the new stadium and move to the Arena League!

King Friday
12-28-2012, 09:24 AM
will they bus them to the same school?

They get to use the same Gatorade jug this week...progress!

Pugger
12-28-2012, 10:13 AM
God, queen fans are so damn tiresome. There are a few of them down here and they are biggest bunch of bandwagon hoppers in the world. :roll: I hope we beat them soundly and put to rest all this coronation about AP. I'm so sick of seeing his mug on TV this week. Yes, he's having a great season but do the talking heads have sing his praises 24/7?

woodbuck27
12-28-2012, 02:10 PM
I just checked for the games on TV at 4:25 PM Sunday 30 Dec. KO time on our Satellite Programming and I 'only' see:

Arizona @ San Fran

KC @ Denver

St. Louis @ Seattle

Nothing for Green Bay @ Minnesota and that surprizes me. No ... that shocks me.

Adrian Peterson is going for the ' ALL TIME Season Rushing ' Record and it's not being covered. A huge game for both the PACKERS and Vikings and it's being ignored !

That sucks HUGELY !!

I checked again last night and my BELL Satellite provider has the game being carried on SportsNet East; West and Pacific. I'm pumped for this game as much as if it was a playoff game.

GO Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers !

RashanGary
12-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Jeremy Ross looked pretty good on that punt return last week. I was just curious what kind of athlete he is. Guy is 6' tall 210lbs, ran a 4.37 and 4.52 at his pro day. 39 inch vertical jump. His agility numbers were equal to Cobb. . . . He's a good notch over Cobb as a pure athlete. He sure looked quick and fast on that return.

At Cal he wasn't a particularly good WR, but he was a good returner. I wonder if he could be play coverage units on ST's (maybe even gunner. He has that body type) and return punts/kicks for us next year. He certainly looked capable last week.

RashanGary
12-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Apparently the Packers are 7th in the league in rushing the last 7 games. Kinda crazy

Pugger
12-29-2012, 07:01 AM
How good are the queens at stopping the run?

pbmax
12-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Football Outsiders has them 22nd with an emphasis on more recent games. 23rd against the pass and 9th against the run. Their numbers are very close to NE's defense, but they have been much less consistent, getting better lately.

mmmdk
12-29-2012, 12:07 PM
I want the Packers to win so badly that I'm actually pretty scared of a Vikings win - it would destroy me [for a few days]!

C'MON PACKERS

:cow:

woodbuck27
12-29-2012, 01:06 PM
How good are the queens at stopping the run?

The Viking 'D' was very good last week all round @ Houston. They gave up a very low 34 yards on 16 carries. Recall that Arian Foster was reported as having a heart murmer in that game. That may be a factor as he only had 10 carries.

woodbuck27
12-29-2012, 01:09 PM
I want the Packers to win so badly that I'm actually pretty scared of a Vikings win - it would destroy me [for a few days]!

C'MON PACKERS

:cow:

The Packers Injury report should give you hope:

http://www.packers.com/team/injury-report.html

GO PACK GO !

Joemailman
12-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Jeremy Ross looked pretty good on that punt return last week. I was just curious what kind of athlete he is. Guy is 6' tall 210lbs, ran a 4.37 and 4.52 at his pro day. 39 inch vertical jump. His agility numbers were equal to Cobb. . . . He's a good notch over Cobb as a pure athlete. He sure looked quick and fast on that return.

At Cal he wasn't a particularly good WR, but he was a good returner. I wonder if he could be play coverage units on ST's (maybe even gunner. He has that body type) and return punts/kicks for us next year. He certainly looked capable last week.

DuJuan Harris had 14 KO returns for Jax last year. We might see more of that in the future. I don't think they'll be looking to take Cobb completely off returns, but they will want to reduce his workload, especially on KO returns.

RashanGary
12-29-2012, 04:21 PM
The Packers Injury report should give you hope:

http://www.packers.com/team/injury-report.html

GO PACK GO !

Yes. Yes it does. The hope on hope here is that we get this win and following the bye week it, it looks even better. We have a chance here, to look like the beast of the NFC. This game means a lot and it will tell a lot.

woodbuck27
12-29-2012, 04:30 PM
While NFL surfing I discovered this. A Viking fan's take on the big game tomorrow:

Packers vs. Vikings: PJD's Masturbatory "For All the Marbles" Game Preview

Written by PJD on Friday, 28 December 2012 @ 15:00.

http://www.purplejesusdiaries.com/2012-articles/december/packers-vs-vikings-pjd-s-masturbatory-for-all-the-marbles-game-preview.html

" HOLY SHIT. OK, let me get this out of the way first. I think we win. I don't know why or how, but I think we do. I haven't even dreamed of another world for the past week where we aren't playing again the following week in the playoffs. I've visualized these events occurring so god damn hard that I'll be concussed probably if it doesn't all come to fruition. I'm so sure the Vikings are firing at all cylinders that I haven't even really thought about this opponent as being the Packers, really, it just seems like another bunch of assholes that we're going to ram our Vikings' spears through and call it a day. Now THAT's confidence! " Fr. LINK

Comment woodbuck27:

Maybe that's just ' positive thinking ' rather than ... the 'power of ' positive thinking.

GO PACKERS !