PDA

View Full Version : Charles Woodson's role in the post season

RashanGary
12-26-2012, 11:31 PM
I would not be surprised, not in the very least, it Charles Woodson comes off the bench as our dime-back to start the post season for a couple of reasons.

1. Hayward is obviously our nickel corner. Even with Woodson back, do you really consider moving Woodson to the slot and bringing in a safety? Doubtful. Hayward is going to be on the field in nickel. It's just a fact. And the Packers coaching staff has already committed him to being an inside player. House, Shields and Williams all start over Hayward outside. That's been proven. I doubt it will change.
2. If MD Jennings is proving to be a reliable player for Capers, they might not want to risk the major change when the secondary is just starting to trust each other.
3. The Packers are incredibly cautious with injured players. Would they stick Woodson in there full time after 10 weeks off?

I think it's incredibly obvious that Woodson is the best option as dime-inside corner. Him and Hayward make for a great inside duo. What I don't think is so incredibly obvious is whether or not the Packers want to stick a free lancer in the middle of a secondary that is finally trusting where each other are going to be. One unpredictable guy and you're looking at a whole secondary that doesn't know where it's help is going to be and will start playing unsure of their assignment.

OS PA
12-27-2012, 01:17 AM
I think you plug Woodson in right next to Morgan Burnette in all packages. Let him play the rover with Burnette deep. You can always bring in an extra safety or an extra corner in sub-packages in order to get the best players on the field. Woodson is a playmaker through and through, and our secondary will only get better in there with him creating a little havoc.

pittstang5
12-27-2012, 05:09 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Woodson doesn't make it back this season. He should have been back by now. Somethings up and the Packers are not telling us.

LegandofthePack15
12-27-2012, 06:47 AM
When 'Wood' returns, Capers should play more 2-2-7. I am not a big fan of seeing an inside lb or two on obvious passing downs. The Packers lbs can't cover worth a lick.

Tony Oday
12-27-2012, 07:04 AM
When 'Wood' returns, Capers should play more 2-2-7. I am not a big fan of seeing an inside lb or two on obvious passing downs. The Packers lbs can't cover worth a lick.

Wow thank god you are not a coach! You have proved time and again you would be a Matt Millen like GM but now you proved you are no coach either.

Patler
12-27-2012, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Woodson doesn't make it back this season. He should have been back by now. Somethings up and the Packers are not telling us.

I have come to that position as well. I won't even be surprised if he is moved to IR, and another player signed for playoffs.

pbmax
12-27-2012, 07:43 AM
If Wood comes back, House is hurt so there is more room now than last week for him.

However, it seems very likely that Woodson has had a setback of some kind.

Pugger
12-27-2012, 08:14 AM
I hope when Woody comes back Capers uses him like Pitt uses Polumalu.

red
12-27-2012, 08:16 AM
i still want a new medical staff. something is not right with that group

every single player that has been hurt for us this season has been held out weeks longer then they should have been

wood has been ready to go for 3 fucking weeks. he came out yesterday and said there has been no setback, the doctors just refuse to clear him

George Cumby
12-27-2012, 09:19 AM

every single player that has been hurt for us this season has been held out weeks longer then they should have been

wood has been ready to go for 3 fucking weeks. he came out yesterday and said there has been no setback, the doctors just refuse to clear him

I have no facts to back this up:

I think that M3 holds guys back for longer or puts them on the injury list just to give them more rest time so he gets reinforcements for the playoffs. He knows he's going to make the playoffs and wants those fresh legs available, e. g.: Starks in 2010.

LegandofthePack15
12-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Wow thank god you are not a coach! You have proved time and again you would be a Matt Millen like GM but now you proved you are no coach either.

Have you seen the Packers lbs cover?

Recall how Perry shitted his pants trying to cover earlier this season. How qbs would just throw the ball over Smith. And Hawk...the fact that Hawk has to get off the field despite the injuries at the lb position is proof that he can't cover worth a lick. Matthews is not bad but he's not good either; plus, Matthews should be doing what he does best on passing downs - rush the qb, not drop into coverage. Jones was beaten a few times the last few games but mediocre qbs like Ponder and Locker under threw their intended receivers; can't recall how many time I see Jones back facing the qb.

2 olbs (Matthews, Mosses/Waden), 2 dl and 7 dbs (Williams, Woodson, Shields, Hayward, Burnett, Jennings, House) would give the Packers max coverage efficiency while allowing Capers to blitz from all over the place.

Man, I should be a d-coordinator in the NFL.

Bossman641
12-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Good post JH. I was going to start a similar topic.

At this point I'm not sure I want Woodson back this year. The secondary is playing well and has given up very few big plays. Bringing Woodson back increases the chances of picks from the safety spot, but it also increases the chances of TD's and big plays given up due to his freelancing style. I dunno whether I'm ready to roll the dice on that at this time.

LegandofthePack15
12-27-2012, 10:59 AM
At this point I'm not sure I want Woodson back this year. The secondary is playing well and has given up very few big plays. Bringing Woodson back increases the chances of picks from the safety spot, but it also increases the chances of TD's and big plays given up due to his freelancing style. I dunno whether I'm ready to roll the dice on that at this time.

The D hasn't faced an elite qb for a while. The last time they faced one...well, i don't even want to think that game again (see Manning, Elisha).

Trust me, the Packers are going to need Wood when they face the likes of Matt Ryan in the playoffs...and if they're lucky, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady in the SB.

denverYooper
12-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Fuck Matt Ryan.

There's going to be a Boston College reunion in Matt Ryan's lap if Green Bay plays Atlanta.

LegandofthePack15
12-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Fuck Matt Ryan.

You can hate or fuck Matt Ryan any way you want. But there's no denying Ryan is the real deal.

Matt Ryan after 15 games: 4,481 PYDS, 69 CMP%, 31 TDS, 100.2 RAT. Most importantly, 13-2.

denverYooper
12-27-2012, 12:26 PM
You can hate or fuck Matt Ryan any way you want. But there's no denying Ryan is the real deal.

Matt Ryan after 15 games: 4,481 PYDS, 69 CMP%, 31 TDS, 100.2 RAT. Most importantly, 13-2.

Post Season Matt Ryan, when his carriage turns back into a pumpkin:

63.6%, 584 Yards, 3 TD, 4 INT, 71.2 rating, 5.31 YPA

Most importantly 0-3.

LegandofthePack15
12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Post Season Matt Ryan, when his carriage turns back into a pumpkin:

63.6%, 584 Yards, 3 TD, 4 INT, 71.2 rating, 5.31 YPA

Most importantly 0-3.

I hope I don't have to bump this thread up later. That would mean the Falcons won the SB and not the Packers.

Zool
12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
I hope I don't have to bump this thread up later. That would mean the Falcons won the SB and not the Packers.

Think back through your history of your own fandom of the NFL and specifically the Packers. How often have you been right? I'm not asking you to post your findings, just be honest with yourself and maybe gain some much needed objectivity.

denverYooper
12-27-2012, 05:00 PM
"Now a question of etiquette, as I pass do I give you the ass or the crotch?"

Joemailman
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM
I wonder if there is something structurally wrong with Woodson's collarbone. Isn't it the same one he broke 2 years ago? It might be a stretch to suggest he could be finished, but who knows?

RashanGary
12-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Just listened to MM. He said there is risk assessment with every injury. He said the player has a say in what they're willing to risk. He also said right now it's not up to Woodson, it's up to the doctor. He said Woodson has been practicing for 4 weeks, said he spends a lot of time getting ready. Said his conditioning and shape is not a concern. He also added, once the playoffs come, the way he knows Charles Woodson, risk assessment goes out the window.

Just reading between the lines, what MM said, right now the doctors get the call. Come playoffs, Charles gets the call on if he wants to risk further injury or not. Certainly it's not life or death. The guy will have the choice to risk his body. In MM's mind, the way I read it, there's little doubt Woodson is going to choose to play risk or no risk. He also seemed very excited to have Woodson back. Seemed like he wants him on the field, not the other way around.

We're going to see Woodson on game 1. Charles has said he's wanted to go for weeks now, but the doctors won't let him. I think it's game on for that guy.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-27-2012, 06:01 PM
This is a very tough decision. If Williams, Shields, Hayward, and House are healthy I wouldn't want Woodson covering over any of those four. So for me that leaves safety for him to be a major contributor. Burnett has one spot, so is Woodson that much better than Jennings and McMillan that he should be starting at safety on the other side? I would say based off pure talent and experience, yes. However, the team is a lot different since he was last in the lineup. If you don't include the Giants game, the defense hasn't really given up many big plays. Are they starting to gel? If so, do you want to mess with that? Could they just be keeping Woodson in case of serious injury to the other players in the secondary?

A lot of questions exist that will be hard to answer. Woodson is 100 times better tackler than Jennings, but will having him back mess with chemistry? I would keep him out of the line up against the Vikings and when the playoffs come find ways to get him on the field, but not full time. Maybe play a little dime defense, and a little safety here and there. Maybe Capers can come up with some unique schemes that feature Woodson blitzing or playing close to the line. That way he is involved, yet the main group of guys who have been playing the last 3 months will still be playing together.

LP
12-27-2012, 06:15 PM

Interesting opinion. Did you play a doctor on TV or stay at a Holiday Inn Express?

gbgary
12-27-2012, 06:21 PM
as i said in another thread: Woodson not being cleared for this last game is a bit of a surprise. i'm ok with it unless it becomes a locker room distraction. if we get the 2nd seed there is no way he won't be cleared for the 1st playoff game. i don't think he needs to start though. they've come together back there and i don't want to mess with that too much.

red
12-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Interesting opinion. Did you play a doctor on TV or stay at a Holiday Inn Express?

no, i just use my fucking brain

try it sometime

Fritz
12-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Again, I'd like to hear from some of the Rats who have some football knowledge: is it feasible to play Woodson at safety and use him up around the line of scrimmage? Or will that fudge up the kind of defenses they've been playing lately?

Zool
12-28-2012, 10:55 AM

try it sometime

So the medical staff are liars or incompetents or maybe Woodson is overstating his health.

The Shadow
12-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Woodson's favorite roll is a buttery croissant

woodbuck27
12-28-2012, 11:46 AM

It seems to me that the road to the Super Bowl is through Atlanta. Matt Ryan has had an unquestionably solid season as have the Falcons.

Of course.... none of the posters here would get 'even slightly tight in the ass' if we make it to Atlanta.

woodbuck27
12-28-2012, 12:02 PM
So the medical staff are liars or incompetents or maybe Woodson is overstating his health.

Maybe..... and this is mere speculation? The PACKERS Coaching staff are simply holding Charles Woodson out because their happy with the defense our current secondary is playing? They like the chemistry back there.

A decision such as this isn't easy when you consider that Charles Woodson is a high profile player. Looking forward it certainly helps in terms of managing the salary cap. Charles Woodson may have seen his last game as a Green Bay Packer.

If that's the case would it be a huge surprize? To some yes! We have our favourite players that we enjoy see playing. I'm still getting used to accepting the fact that Donald Driver is as good as gone.

GO PACKERS !

mraynrand
12-28-2012, 01:48 PM
21>22. Other than that, Woodson should probably sit it out.

pbmax
12-28-2012, 02:03 PM
The Tweets were all over the place from Thursday's PC from its just the Doctors call to Woodson might make a different call for a playoff game than he is making now. But the gist of Thursday seems to be Woodson might already be ready for a playoff game.

From the Dec 27th M3 Press Conference:

27 Dec Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause
MM: Trying to be smart with Woodson's injury. Doctor's call right now.

27 Dec Packer Report ‏@PackerReport
"It's the doctors' call" on whether Woodson plays in postseason.

27 Dec tom silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein
MM: When it comes to playoffs, risk-assessment changes some. Right now, it's up to the doctors to decide whether he should play.

Not as concerned about Woodson's conditioning because he's been practicing for four weeks.

MM: Woodson been practicing for 4 weeks, working out extensively. Not concerned with his game and his readiness to play.

27 Dec Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
McCarthy on Woodson: "Knowing Charles, risk assessment will go out the window" when playoffs start. Sounds like he'll be a go in postseason.

tom silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein
That's Woodson: MM: When it comes to playoffs, risk-assessment changes some. Right now, it's up to the doctors to decide whether he plays.

pbmax
12-28-2012, 02:07 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/184969621.html

Meanwhile, McCarthy said with S Charles Woodson risk-assessment will be "thrown out the window" when the playoffs roll around.

To this point, team physician Patrick McKenzie has not released Woodson to play because he isn't satisfied with the way his broken collarbone has healed.

But Woodson has been close to returning for several weeks and the decision to hold him out has apparently been aimed at removing as much risk as possible heading into the playoffs.

"Well a lot of our decisions, you have risk assessment," McCarthy said. "I think that the time I have spent around Charles Woodson, his risk assessment will go out the window when it comes time to play in a playoff game. We’re trying to be smart with this. Obviously, he’s part of the decision but it’s the doctor’s call right now."

McCarthy declined to say exactly what was the hold up with Woodson, but his comments can be construed that once the playoffs roll around the criteria for his return may change. But the Packers still have to agree to put him on the field regardless of what Woodson thinks.

woodbuck27
12-28-2012, 02:13 PM
The Tweets were all over the place from Thursday's PC from its just the Doctors call to Woodson might make a different call for a playoff game than he is making now. But the gist of Thursday seems to be Woodson might already be ready for a playoff game.

MM: When it comes to playoffs, risk-assessment changes some. Right now, it's up to the doctors to decide whether he should play.

Not as concerned about Woodson's conditioning because he's been practicing for four weeks.

MM: Woodson been practicing for 4 weeks, working out extensively. Not concerned with his game and his readiness to play.

McCarthy on Woodson: "Knowing Charles, risk assessment will go out the window" when playoffs start. Sounds like he'll be a go in postseason.

That's Woodson: MM: When it comes to playoffs, risk-assessment changes some. Right now, it's up to the doctors to decide whether he plays.

OK so that's an end to it then:

We'll see Charles Woodson dressed and likely on the field in the playoffs.

LP
12-28-2012, 02:29 PM

try it sometime

I did use mine. It told me that people in the medical profession know a lot more about these injuries than I do. What did yours tell you?

Patler
12-28-2012, 02:40 PM

This sort of flies in the face of the NFL's arguments that the Drs.' medical calls are independent of coach and game considerations. We all know that what MM said is true, but they usually do a better job of hiding it than that.

I suspect that sometime before the 1st playoff game, be it next week or the week after, all of a sudden the doctors will be completely satisfied with how he has healed. Strictly their sound, medical opinions. ;-) :whist:

RashanGary
12-28-2012, 04:54 PM
During the regular season, MM seems to be letting the doctors take complete control. Come playoffs, it might go away from doctors clearance toward risk assessment. I don't think MM has lied a bit this season. When guys have come back, I think it's because the doctors were on board when MM says the doctors are on board.

Joemailman
01-01-2013, 05:53 PM
MM says Woodson cleared to play.

I just think having Charles Woodson back helps our football team, his experience, play-making ability. Glad to have him back on the field.

KYPack
01-01-2013, 07:32 PM

What position?

Corner, S, rover?

George Cumby
01-01-2013, 07:38 PM
What position?

Corner, S, rover?

Ghosting AP.

Rastak
01-01-2013, 07:39 PM
What position?

Corner, S, rover?

Free safety Grabby Smurf.

j/k :smile:

pbmax
01-01-2013, 09:14 PM
What position?

Corner, S, rover?

MIght also need him at TE and WR as neither Nelson or Finley practiced. Cobb was back full though.

denverYooper
01-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Free safety Grabby Smurf.

j/k :smile:

I can let the occasional defensive holding penalty slide if he gets after Peterman.

Jimx29
01-01-2013, 09:19 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/woodson-cleared-play-packers-013424864--nfl.html

The Shadow
01-03-2013, 04:43 PM
I posted this on another thread - but in retrospect - and after reading the comments from Capers today - I thought it belonged more here.

Ok, Woodson is back - and that's great news.
Now : how best to use him?
#11. The Vikings overwhelming strength is Peterson. None of their receivers are particularly scary (unless we neglect them almost completely by obsessing on #28).
I would assign Woodson the task of Peterson spy. He is the savviest & most instinctive player we have on the defense, even tho he may have lost a step. So instead of relying on him in a traditional secondary role, I would have him shadow Peterson. Many times AP would appear to be bottled up at the line of scrimmage & then bounce outside or into a tiny crease. Woodson's job would be to hang back a few yards, diagnoss the way the play is unfolding and react. No, he is not a thumper - but that's not neccessary in this case. The Packers need to eliminate the 12, 16 & 28 yard bursts. Woodson would need to prevent those.
Just a thought.

denverYooper
01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Sure sounds like Woodson will be playing safety in base.

woodbuck27
01-03-2013, 08:31 PM
MIght also need him at TE and WR as neither Nelson or Finley practiced. Cobb was back full though.

http://www.packers.com/team/injury-report.html

Thursday 03 Jan. 2013;

Name ............... Position.... Injury........ Wed...... Thu. ......Fri. ......Game Status

Boykin, Jarrett ......WR .......Ankle ..........DNP...... DNP - -

Cobb, Randall........ WR....... Ankle.......... LP........ FP - -

Finley, Jermichael... TE.... Quadricep........ LP......... FP - -

Green, Alex........... RB....... Knee........... FP......... FP - -

House, Davon........ CB........ Hip ............LP.......... FP - -

Nelson, Jordy........ WR....... Knee........... LP.......... FP - -

Starks, James........ RB....... Knee........... LP.......... LP - -

Williams, Tramon... CB....... Illness....... - DNP - -

Woodson, Charles.. DB..... Collarbone ......FP ...........FP - -

Worthy, Jerel ........DE......... Knee........ Out........... Out - -

R. Cobb;J.Finley;J. Nelson; C. Woodson and D. House all had a full practise today.

GO PACKERS !

Joemailman
01-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Sure sounds like Woodson will be playing safety in base.

I wonder what they do with him in nickel. Take Hayward off the field? Sit Woodson? Put Woodson at SS? Put Woodson in the slot and play Hayward at CB?

woodbuck27
01-03-2013, 09:11 PM
" It is unclear how much Woodson will be used this weekend and at what position. Most likely he will be on the field for most plays, playing safety during base packages and moving over to play the nickel corner in other packages." Fr. LINK Below.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/01/02/charles-woodson-finally-cleared-to-play-for-packers/

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQG4bBzFl20GxDv7lS5m_GtmAuWOcIJI UU2N5PCMmx2j7Ss0AC0nA

Charles Woodson...PLAYMAKER !

GO PACK GO !

George Cumby
01-04-2013, 09:16 AM
third downs

LEWCWA
01-07-2013, 08:56 AM
What is abundently clear is that Woodson is a beast! I will not call for him to be let go again, until he decides he wants to hang them up!

rbaloha1
01-07-2013, 09:59 AM
What is abundently clear is that Woodson is a beast! I will not call for him to be let go again, until he decides he wants to hang them up!

Yes Woodson is a beast -- but is he worth the $10 million cap number next year?

denverYooper
01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Yes Woodson is a beast -- but is he worth the $10 million cap number next year?

Lots of things to play out with that one yet. If he has a big playoff stretch and helps them win out...

I choose to think there's a chance that he looks at this team, considers it in the SB window for the next couple of years, and re-structures a bit. He's the kind of player (I think) who will be considering what another ring might do for his legacy.

gbgary
01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
as i said in another thread: Woodson not being cleared for this last game is a bit of a surprise. i'm ok with it unless it becomes a locker room distraction. if we get the 2nd seed there is no way he won't be cleared for the 1st playoff game. i don't think he needs to start though. they've come together back there and i don't want to mess with that too much.

i suck...again. lol