PDA

View Full Version : Black Monday

Brando19
12-31-2012, 10:11 AM
The Bears fired Lovie Smith! Kinda surprising.

Also looking for a coach: Eagles, Chiefs, Bills, Chargers, Browns

denverYooper
12-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Tannenbaum is out. Rex is still in for now...

pbmax
12-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Wow. Packers bit the dust and Lovie loses job.

Badgerinmaine
12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Lovie Smith is fired and Rex Ryan isn't. What a world.

LegandofthePack15
12-31-2012, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't mind Lovie Smith or Romeo Crennel being d-coordinator for the Packers if AP eats the Packers alive again next week.

pbmax
12-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Bretsky! Gruden's people are telling NFL people he may interview for an NFL job!

If the Bears hire him (say he convinces them he will hire Belicheck reincarnated as D coordinator) would you root for the Bears? :lol:

Actual speculated destinations include Philly and San Diego. Personally, I think Gruden NFL rumors are like Barry Alvarez's try-annual salary increase drives. All about leverage.

mraynrand
12-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Lovie getting fired is unreal to me. The GM is the guy who, in all his Shermanesque glory, kept addressing last year's problems and mortgaged the future to win now. I didn't think Lovie would go without the GM getting tossed.

Ballboy
12-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Lovie getting fired is unreal to me. The GM is the guy who, in all his Shermanesque glory, kept addressing last year's problems and mortgaged the future to win now. I didn't think Lovie would go without the GM getting tossed.

Bears replaced GM last year, this really wasnt much of a surprise.

pbmax
12-31-2012, 11:29 AM

I think Lovie is on the hook for being completely incapable of hiring competent offensive staff. Many candidates might be fearful of the Bears commitment to their defense in player acquisition and cap space, but somehow other teams make it work (Giants, Steelers[normally]).

Cheesehead Craig
12-31-2012, 11:37 AM
The GM out for the Jets and was a good move. That guy really screwed that team up. Rex will be on a Lovie like leash next season. No playoffs, no more job. Now let's go have a gd snack.

mraynrand
12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
I think Lovie is on the hook for being completely incapable of hiring competent offensive staff. Many candidates might be fearful of the Bears commitment to their defense in player acquisition and cap space, but somehow other teams make it work (Giants, Steelers[normally]).

Wha? Are you saying Tice was incompetent!?!?

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/BarneyTicecopy.jpg

Lovie didn't hire Gabe Carimi blow draft picks on Jay Cutler, or let their TE get away - and then have nothing at WR for Jay to throw to, and nothing in front of him to pass protect. Lovie was responsible for purchasing the exercise bike, however...

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/cut2.gif

Badgerinmaine
12-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Update, but not a shock: The Bills have fired Chan Gailey. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57561381/buffalo-bills-fire-coach-chan-gailey/

Badgerinmaine
12-31-2012, 11:53 AM
...Coach and GM both out in Cleveland, too. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/12/cleveland_browns_coach_pat_shu_61.html
Once Mike Holmgren left as team president, I think their fates were sealed. They lost a lot of close games this year and have some young talent--I think this would be a great situation to go into as a new coach or as a new GM.

mraynrand
12-31-2012, 11:57 AM
...Coach and GM both out in Cleveland, too. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/12/cleveland_browns_coach_pat_shu_61.html
Once Mike Holmgren left as team president, I think their fates were sealed. They lost a lot of close games this year and have some young talent--I think this would be a great situation to go into as a new coach or as a new GM.

An offensive minded coach in Cleveland would be smart to keep Walking Dead star Dick Jauron as D-coordinator.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3485/3921158021_f0a069712f.jpg
http://sportscasm.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/dick-jauron.jpg

Badgerinmaine
12-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Romeo Crennel is out after going 2-14 in Kansas City, but GM Scott Pioli is "under review". Are they looking for "indisputable video evidence"? http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/31/3988161/chiefs-fire-crennel-pioli-to-remain.html

pbmax
12-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Wha? Are you saying Tice was incompetent!?!?

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/BarneyTicecopy.jpg

Lovie didn't hire Gabe Carimi blow draft picks on Jay Cutler, or let their TE get away - and then have nothing at WR for Jay to throw to, and nothing in front of him to pass protect. Lovie was responsible for purchasing the exercise bike, however...

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/cut2.gif

Well, there is already another GM in Chicago so some of those bad calls get back dated to Angelo. New guy did get him Marshall which really seems to have paid off, Charlie Brown Christmas Tree or not. Carimi can't be that bad. I could understand mediocre, having maxed out with Badgers training table, curl machine and run game, but he isn't pathetic.

But I do take the point that the GM did not bless him with much help on the O side. I think that hurt his recruitment of staff. But its the HC job to produce something from the ingredients according to Parcells.

denverYooper
12-31-2012, 12:25 PM
Whisenhunt is out.

If the anti-Dom crowd wants a new DC, he might be a good fit. He was running a post-Dom Pitt 3-4.

pbmax
12-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Bears Insider ‏@bears_insider
Cutler: "We've got a lot of good pieces offensively, personnel-wise. Once we get a good coordinator and play-caller, we'll make it work."

At least Smokin' Jay is onboard. :lol:

pbmax
12-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Norv and AJ Smith are gone.

pbmax
12-31-2012, 12:49 PM

Here comes John Dorsey to Chargers rumors:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Chargers have hired former Packers GM Ron Wolf as a consultant to help on GM and HC searches for next month or two.

Also remember that Alonzo Highsmith is interested in Jacksonville's GM job.

mraynrand
12-31-2012, 12:54 PM

Chargers have hired former Packers GM Ron Wolf as a consultant to help on GM and HC searches for next month or two.

Holmgren hinted that he still wanted to coach some. Starfleet made the mistake of promoting him to the Admiralty/GM/front office , when coaching/captaincy was his best destiny....

sharpe1027
12-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Bears Insider ‏@bears_insider
Cutler: "We've got a lot of good pieces offensively, personnel-wise. Once we get a good coordinator and play-caller, we'll make it work."

At least Smokin' Jay is onboard. :lol:

Do they have any more than two good offensive pieces: Brandon Marshall and Forte? That's far from "a lot."

Freak Out
12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Wow. Packers bit the dust and Lovie loses job.

Makes sense somehow. :)

Brando19
12-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Poor Lovie must HATE the Packers. He can't win when they LOSE!

woodbuck27
12-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Lovie Smith is fired and Rex Ryan isn't. What a world.

Rex Ryan didn't have much to work with. Thus we see the Jets GM... gone !

Lovie Smith ! mmmm that just really surprizes me.

pbmax
12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Do they have any more than two good offensive pieces: Brandon Marshall and Forte? That's far from "a lot."

Well, add Cutler and that's three. One of the TEs seems serviceable. A team should be able to do good things with Jeffrey if he is willing to learn.

How about a generous five good pieces?

Guiness
12-31-2012, 02:05 PM

Shocking, lol! This one was pretty common knowledge for some time, I'd say the midpoint of the season? The only one that was more sure was Reid these past few weeks.

Funny that the most likely destination for Reid, after he failed with what was supposedly a very talented team, is the other place that the feeling is they underperformed!

I'm most surprised by the Lovie firing.

woodbuck27
12-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Shocking, lol! This one was pretty common knowledge for some time, I'd say the midpoint of the season? The only one that was more sure was Reid these past few weeks.

Funny that the most likely destination for Reid, after he failed with what was supposedly a very talented team, is the other place that the feeling is they underperformed!

I'm most surprised by the Lovie firing.

yup me too Guiness Re: Lovie Smith

RE: Andy Reid. Talk about going out in flames with a QB option.

RE: Smith and Turner in San Diego:

I thought I read or heard somewhere that they were definitely going to be gone with 5-6 games still remaining in the schedule.

If that's true?

Imagine how difficult the last third of the schedule had to be on them.

gbgary
12-31-2012, 02:13 PM
the lovie firing was a huge surprise to me.

KYPack
12-31-2012, 03:43 PM

Joe Whitt Jr and Darren Perry will get serious looks as DC's by many teams.

sheepshead
12-31-2012, 04:42 PM
the lovie firing was a huge surprise to me.

Not at all. Phil Emery had a short list when he was hired. Lovie would have had to take them deep into the playoffs in my opinion, to keep his job. I think the bears will be interesting. Cutler thinks he's Michael Jordan, running the team and he probably was to an extent and look how that turned out. If they go with a young assistant as HC they should probably get rid of Cutler fast and rebuild the whole thing. Hesters already having a nervous breakdown. If they want to build around Cutler they really need someone he respects and can work with him(ala Phil Jackson). But I know Michael Jordan, Michael Jordans a friend of mine and you sir are no Michael Jordan.

pbmax
12-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Mike Reinfeldt out as VP of Football Operations in Tennessee. But the GM and coach he hired (Webster and Munchak) are good enough to stay.

Bud Adams just wanted to fire somebody.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/31/bud-adams-makes-mike-reinfeldt-the-scapegoat/

mraynrand
12-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Well, add Cutler and that's three. One of the TEs seems serviceable. A team should be able to do good things with Jeffrey if he is willing to learn.

How about a generous five easy pieces?

FIFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8

Badgerinmaine
12-31-2012, 06:49 PM
y
RE: Smith and Turner in San Diego:

I thought I read or heard somewhere that they were definitely going to be gone with 5-6 games still remaining in the schedule.

If that's true?

Imagine how difficult the last third of the schedule had to be on them.
That had been pretty widely reported. But given that they had badly underperformed several years ago, and most people were amazed that they weren't fired last year, they had to have a good idea it was coming. Turner will get a coordinator job someplace but he's probably done as a head coach. Also, Andy Reid was in a similar position. He knew the Eagles had to make the playoffs to keep his job and it was certain they wouldn't about 6 weeks ago when everything fell apart. He was apparently told he'd be fired on Friday, two days before his last game--but again, I'm sure he saw it coming. Losing a job is never pleasant, but in this line of work, you know it'll probably happen sooner or later.

red
12-31-2012, 07:05 PM
what are the chances that the bears make all our dreams come true and hire from within

new bears head coach mike tice anyone?

digitaldean
01-01-2013, 09:20 AM
what are the chances that the bears make all our dreams come true and hire from within

new bears head coach mike tice anyone?
Why? McCaskey"s looking for a broker for their Super Bowl tickets?

pbmax
01-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Comment from Bears fan "Tom Gugliotta's Delicious Frittatas" on Deadspin:

Lovie Smith was not an above average coach. He made the playoffs 3 times in his 9 seasons in Chicago. Sixteen teams in the NFL made it 4 or more times in those 9 seasons. Franchises known for their consistent powerhouse head coaches such as Washington and Carolina made it just as many times. Kudos to Lovie for finding new and fascinating ways to lock up the 7th seed in the NFC, but I won't miss him.

denverYooper
01-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Why? McCaskey"s looking for a broker for their Super Bowl tickets?

:rs:

Pugger
01-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Mike Reinfeldt out as VP of Football Operations in Tennessee. But the GM and coach he hired (Webster and Munchak) are good enough to stay.

Bud Adams just wanted to fire somebody.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/31/bud-adams-makes-mike-reinfeldt-the-scapegoat/

Maybe we can bring him back if lose any of our front office personnel after we win the SB. :wink:

MadtownPacker
01-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Reid to AZ? Bet Larry Fitz would like that.

woodbuck27
01-01-2013, 08:56 PM

I'm thinking about Andy Reid's luck with QB's.

The Cardinals need to start right there.

LP
01-02-2013, 02:17 PM

Fitz would probably be okay with it but I bet Kevin Kolb would be estatic! A match made in heaven!

woodbuck27
01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Fitz would probably be okay with it but I bet Kevin Kolb would be estatic! A match made in heaven!

Andy Reid is busy already:

Andy Reid to interview with Chiefs ...'first' then 'maybe' the Cardinals?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2013/01/02/former-philadelphia-eagles-coach-andy-reid-interviews-with-kansas-city-chiefs/1804081/

pbmax
01-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Panic in Arizona?

Cards request permission to interview noted genial bon vivant Todd Haley for Head Ball Coach. I think Ben Rothliesberger is spreading this report. :lol:

Fritz
01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't think the Bears are all that talented. I think Lovie is a good coach, particularly if you have an old-school GM or owner who likes defense and the run game. But he seems to hire offensive coordinators who don't fit very well - unless he's been coerced into the last two.

denverYooper
01-04-2013, 09:31 AM
@RapSheet:

The #Chiefs have announced they "parted ways" with GM Scott Pioli.

woodbuck27
01-04-2013, 09:40 AM
@RapSheet:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121912/article/kansas-city-chiefs-scott-pioli-part-ways

Scott Pioli, Kansas City Chiefs part ways

By Gregg Rosenthal ... Around The League editor

Published: Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:08 a.m

denverYooper
01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Also hearing a lot of chatter that John Dorsey is likely to join Reid in KC.

woodbuck27
01-04-2013, 10:36 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121923/article/andy-reid-kansas-city-chiefs-reach-agreement

Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs reach agreement

By Gregg Rosenthal ... Around The League editor ... Published: Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

" It's not hard to see why Kansas City was attractive to Reid. The team had five Pro Bowlers despite a two-win season. They play in a weak division with a strong fan base and an ownership with a history of respect in the league. Most importantly, they can offer Reid what they offered Pioli: Control.

Reid will be able to shape the organization in his image. He is expected to bring a general manager or personnel director that he's familiar with so they can work together in lockstep. But make no mistake: Reid will be in charge.

It's not surprising that Reid got a job quickly, even though you could argue he did less with more talent over the last few years than any head coach in the league. Reid looks like a coach that was in desperate need of a fresh start. He brings an entire organized way of doing things to Kansas City with him. You aren't just hiring Reid, but an entire philosophy." Fr. LINK

and...

http://musketfire.com/2013/01/04/new-york-jets-will-interview-john-dorsey/

John Dorsey 'Director Of Football Operations' Green Bay Packers; as a result of a strong connection to Andy Reid will likely become the next GM of the Kansas City Chiefs.

LegandofthePack15
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121923/article/andy-reid-kansas-city-chiefs-reach-agreement

Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs reach agreement

By Gregg Rosenthal ... Around The League editor ... Published: Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

" It's not hard to see why Kansas City was attractive to Reid. The team had five Pro Bowlers despite a two-win season. They play in a weak division with a strong fan base and an ownership with a history of respect in the league. Most importantly, they can offer Reid what they offered Pioli: Control.

Reid will be able to shape the organization in his image. He is expected to bring a general manager or personnel director that he's familiar with so they can work together in lockstep. But make no mistake: Reid will be in charge.

It's not surprising that Reid got a job quickly, even though you could argue he did less with more talent over the last few years than any head coach in the league. Reid looks like a coach that was in desperate need of a fresh start. He brings an entire organized way of doing things to Kansas City with him. You aren't just hiring Reid, but an entire philosophy." Fr. LINK

Surprised Reid opted not to take a year off after what happened to him last year. Guess some folks just love coaching.

Wouldn't be surprised if Reid hires Brett Favre to coach the qbs. :-D

mraynrand
01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Surprised Reid opted not to take a year off after what happened to him last year. Guess some folks just love coaching.

I want to see that

mmmdk
01-04-2013, 11:37 AM

Is all of his kids dead?

woodbuck27
01-04-2013, 11:59 AM

Ohh my goodnes don't post anything Brett Faaahhhvaavrrreaa now.

pbmax
01-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Whole lotta rumors now that Dorsey is headed to KC with a connection to his wife (she works for a firm based in KC).

But his first interview is with the Jets.

Guiness
01-04-2013, 11:52 PM
You'd think the experiment of the HC having a lot of say over player personal would be over. Some really notable failures, like Sherman here and Holmgren in Seattle. Both had short term success, but couldn't sustain it. I think Reid himself had a lot of say in Philly, and I'm sure there are other examples, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

ThunderDan
01-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Not sure about the Reid hiring. He has coached the "Dream Team" the last two years and done nothing.

Seems like the NFL is constantly evolving. The older coaches are set in their ways and the up-and-comers figure them out and change the game.

Even the Giants coach is in the "going to get canned" pile every couple of years.

woodbuck27
01-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Not sure about the Reid hiring. He has coached the "Dream Team" the last two years and done nothing.

Seems like the NFL is constantly evolving. The older coaches are set in their ways and the up-and-comers figure them out and change the game.

Even the Giants coach is in the "going to get canned" pile every couple of years.

I agree with you.

I'm thinking that Andy Reid wanted to keep on truckin'; just in case taking a year off got him lost in any discussion of new HC hirings.

The NFL game is constantly morphing into something different. Jon Gruden made this comment one night on MNF. He said words to this effect:

That the style of play of RGIII would change the way derfensive coordinators set their defenses going forward.

Guiness
01-05-2013, 03:01 PM
The NFL game is constantly morphing into something different. Jon Gruden made this comment one night on MNF. He said words to this effect:

That the style of play of RGIII would change the way derfensive coordinators set their defenses going forword.

I don't see that at all. He's a unique talent, and it's not like there's going to be another guy in this year's draft that can do what he does. Guys like him come along, and give DC's nightmares...but there just aren't a lot of them out there. The ones I remember are Cunningham and Vick. Both of them had big arms and could make silly throws as well. Vick takes grief for his accuracy, but I've seen him and Cunningham make throws across their body to the opposite sideline.

To a lesser extent Steve Young, but he was more of a scrambler as opposed to taking off for yards IIRC.

woodbuck27
01-05-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't see that at all. He's a unique talent, and it's not like there's going to be another guy in this year's draft that can do what he does. Guys like him come along, and give DC's nightmares...but there just aren't a lot of them out there. The ones I remember are Cunningham and Vick. Both of them had big arms and could make silly throws as well. Vick takes grief for his accuracy, but I've seen him and Cunningham make throws across their body to the opposite sideline.

To a lesser extent Steve Young, but he was more of a scrambler as opposed to taking off for yards IIRC.

I love the way that RGIII hides the ball. I swear sometimes he looks like a magician. Defences often have 'no idea' where the ball is.

red
01-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Whole lotta rumors now that Dorsey is headed to KC with a connection to his wife (she works for a firm based in KC).

But his first interview is with the Jets.

KC screwed up by saying reid has final say over all things related to football. the wording, according to PFT, means that dorsey wouldn't be able to just go to KC because it wouldn't be a promotion. in that case the packers could block it

if KC or another team were to say they wanted dorsey to be the GM with final say over all things football, then it would be a promotion and he could walk

KC may have screwed themselves with the wording of the reid hire

woodbuck27
01-05-2013, 06:22 PM
KC screwed up by saying reid has final say over all things related to football. the wording, according to PFT, means that dorsey wouldn't be able to just go to KC because it wouldn't be a promotion. in that case the packers could block it

if KC or another team were to say they wanted dorsey to be the GM with final say over all things football, then it would be a promotion and he could walk

KC may have screwed themselves with the wording of the reid hire

Interesting.

Guiness
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
From PFT http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/the-daily-coaching-g-m-vacancy-update/

G.M. Phil Emery’s list of candidates for head coach remains at 13: [snip] Vikings linebackers coach Mike Singletary,

OH GOD PLEASE YES!!!!!

From the retreads department, Mike Nolan, who Singletary replaced in SF, and Lovie are interviewing for the Philly job, Chargers are inquiring about Jim Mora. Browns are talking to Wisehunt (based on his stellar work in Arizona, no doubt). Of course, Gruden, Cowher and Trestman's names are still bouncing around, but that seems more media driven. Interesting is that the Alouette's GM (Trestman is their coach) Jim Pop is being mentioned for the Panther's GM vacancy. I don't think he's ever held a position in the NFL.

Iron Mike
01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Chicago Bears: G.M. Phil Emery’s list of candidates for head coach remains at 13: Bears special-teams coordinator Dave Toub, Vikings linebackers coach Mike Singletary.....

Anybody else but me think that Singletary in Chicago = epic failure??

I kinda wish it would happen.

Joemailman
01-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Chicago Bears: G.M. Phil Emery’s list of candidates for head coach remains at 13: Bears special-teams coordinator Dave Toub, Vikings linebackers coach Mike Singletary.....

It won't happen. If they wanted a defensive-oriented coach, they would have kept Lovie. 49ers barely averaged 20 ppg offensively during Singletary's tenure there.

George Cumby
01-10-2013, 08:21 AM

OMG, yes it would be.

gbgary
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
hearing rumblings on dallas sports radio that the new 'boys dc will be 73 yr old monte kiffen. haven't seen anything on twitter. could be bs.

mraynrand
01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
hearing rumblings on dallas sports radio that the new 'boys dc will be 73 yr old monte kiffen. haven't seen anything on twitter. could be bs.

Is Monte some sort of expert in the Heimlich maneuver? Would he prevent Romo from choking in critical games?

denverYooper
01-10-2013, 08:44 PM
https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/289557545469759489

Doug Pederson to be Reid's OC in KC.

swede
01-10-2013, 08:56 PM
I think I'd not be happy to hear that Reid and Pederson were coming to coach my team.

I'm really trying to imagine and I don't think I'd like it.

It might work out fine for KC, but it seems like the feeling I got when the family car died and I was looking forward to getting a cool new car and Dad went out and got a rusty Mercury sedan to replace it instead of something cool. The farmer who sold it to him said it ran good. Just be careful where the floor is rusting out on the front passenger side.

pbmax
01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/289557545469759489

Doug Pederson to be Reid's OC in KC.

Brad Childress trial balloon apparently would not float.

pbmax
01-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Is Monte some sort of expert in the Heimlich maneuver? Would he prevent Romo from choking in critical games?

He is also supposed to be wanted in KC as well. Its gotta be tough for his son Lane when even your Dad is abandoning the USS Trojan.

Joemailman
01-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Browns hire Carolina OC Rob Chudzinski as head coach. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Browns-hire-Chudzinski-as-coach.html

Pugger
01-11-2013, 01:24 AM

I don't give a damn who they hire as long as it isn't Tom Clements. :(

pbmax
01-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Jimmy Johnson Tweeted that Marc Trestman has gotten the Bears gig. Woodbuck will be along shortly with a short primer on his time in the CFL.

denverYooper
01-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Jimmy Johnson Tweeted that Marc Trestman has gotten the Bears gig. Woodbuck will be along shortly with a short primer on his time in the CFL.

Like a Pribnow Box?

mraynrand
01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Browns hire Carolina OC Rob Chudzinski as head coach. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Browns-hire-Chudzinski-as-coach.html

C.H.U.D!!!

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNDM4NTkwMDczMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTgzMTA5._V1._ SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

The Browns are NOT staying down in the sewer of the AFC North anymore!!!

Norvell Turner is reported to be the O coordinator in waiting (his son will be QB coach). Do they keep "Walking Dead" star Dick Jauron, or turn to another D coordinator??

mraynrand
01-11-2013, 01:09 PM

OK, quick: What do Marc Trestman and Pete Carroll have in common???

Guiness
01-11-2013, 01:28 PM
OK, quick: What do Marc Trestman and Pete Carroll have in common???

Too easy! Both from the Bud Grant coaching tree. Bud, btw, was also a head coach in the CFL, winning a few Grey Cups.

mraynrand
01-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Too easy! Both from the Bud Grant coaching tree. Bud, btw, was also a head coach in the CFL, winning a few Grey Cups.

looking for something else. Has to do with this weekend's game

Guiness
01-11-2013, 02:20 PM

ah - I thought that was obscure enough. Don't know then. BTW Polian was involved with that Montreal franchise as well. So was Marv Levy. If Trestman has learned anything from Grant and Levy, it's how to LOSE an SB. Eight loses between them, right? And 0 wins...

pbmax
01-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Both worked for 49ers. Trestman, at least, was coordinator for end of Seifert's reign.

Peter Carrol is from the Monte Kiffin coaching tree. Also from Lou Holtz lineage. Which is why he is prematurely grey, shorter than you think and speaks with a lisp about putting his pants on one leg at a time.

Guiness
01-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Both worked for 49ers. Trestman, at least, was coordinator for end of Seifert's reign.

Peter Carrol is from the Monte Kiffin coaching tree. Also from Lou Holtz lineage. Which is why he is prematurely grey, shorter than you think and speaks with a lisp about putting his pants on one leg at a time.

I don't know if I'd consider him from Kiffin's tree. I didn't even know there was a relationship there...a look at his Wiki page he worked with Kiffin for one year in Arkansas, but it does say he was his mentor. His first long term position was under Grant in Minnesota.

mraynrand
01-11-2013, 05:28 PM
They were the O and D coords when they got whipped by the Packers in Jan 1996. Fritz owned Trestman, and Holmy owned Carroll. Two years later, Holmy skunked Carroll again, as the new HC of the Patsies. Sweet.

Joemailman
01-11-2013, 06:07 PM

Trestman is saying he has not been offered the job by the Bears.

digitaldean
01-11-2013, 07:03 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/11/4005357/chiefs-reportedly-hire-new-coordinators.html

Former Packer backup QB Doug Pederson is now the new OC for Andy Reid in KC.

Congrats to him. He was a standup guy and a decent backup (though he obviously didn't play much here).

MJZiggy
01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
I saw the name and wondered...

pbmax
01-11-2013, 07:58 PM
I don't know if I'd consider him from Kiffin's tree. I didn't even know there was a relationship there...a look at his Wiki page he worked with Kiffin for one year in Arkansas, but it does say he was his mentor. His first long term position was under Grant in Minnesota.

Tough to be sure, but I have read elsewhere Kiffin first introduced Carroll to the concepts of the 4-3 Under and Over.

pbmax
01-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Rob Ryan not out of work for five minutes, but pretty close. Reported he has been hired by the Rams.

https://twitter.com/BrianCoz/status/289915741875081216

Guiness
01-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Raiding of Packers personal, both coaching and front office, continues. Russ Ball is being interviewed for the Jets GM job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/12/jets-considering-russ-ball-too/

Not a big name that you hear a lot about, but probably does a lot more behind the scenes work than we are all aware of.

pbmax
01-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Raiding of Packers personal, both coaching and front office, continues. Russ Ball is being interviewed for the Jets GM job.

Not a big name that you hear a lot about, but probably does a lot more behind the scenes work than we are all aware of.

That's tough because he is one of the supposed candidates in line for bigger things in the Packer O. He has been handed some VP duties not directly related to football I thought.

Guiness
01-12-2013, 02:07 PM
That's tough because he is one of the supposed candidates in line for bigger things in the Packer O. He has been handed some VP duties not directly related to football I thought.

Green Bay is a model franchise in the NFL right now, and this is a league of copy cats. Other franchises want in on what they've got.

All of this interest is a back handed compliment, IMO.

LP
01-12-2013, 02:13 PM

Why would anyone consider a job that comes with Rex Ryan attached?

denverYooper
01-12-2013, 02:38 PM

Good snacks?

Joemailman
01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Mike McCoy, Denver OC, new HC at San Diego. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Chargers-hire-McCoy-as-new-head-coach.html

Guiness
01-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Mike McCoy, Denver OC, new HC at San Diego. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Chargers-hire-McCoy-as-new-head-coach.html

Is he the one who decided to take a knee with in a tie game, with 30 seconds and three timeouts left? Awesome, San Diego will suck for a while yet!

In other stupid decision news, Ron Milus, the DB coach for Denver was fired - because of a single pass. Their defense was ranked 3rd against the pass this year, this is a decision akin to the firing of Donatello after a similar misqueue a few years ago...

MadtownPacker
01-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Is he the one who decided to take a knee with in a tie game, with 30 seconds and three timeouts left? Awesome, San Diego will suck for a while yet!Ha you beat me to it!

Joemailman
01-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Is he the one who decided to take a knee with in a tie game, with 30 seconds and three timeouts left? Awesome, San Diego will suck for a while yet!

I don't think the OC makes that decision. That one's on Fox.

mraynrand
01-15-2013, 10:00 PM

excellent pedicures?

Bossman641
01-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Bears hired Trestman

Joemailman
01-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Bears hired Trestman

How many more teams to go before we know we're keeping Clements?

Patler
01-16-2013, 09:21 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/11/4005357/chiefs-reportedly-hire-new-coordinators.html

Former Packer backup QB Doug Pederson is now the new OC for Andy Reid in KC.

Congrats to him. He was a standup guy and a decent backup (though he obviously didn't play much here).

That's a petty fast rise in the coaching ranks for Pederson; 4 years as a high school coach, 2 years at offensive QC for the Eagles and 2 years as QB coach. Now OC.

pbmax
01-16-2013, 09:58 AM
How many more teams to go before we know we're keeping Clements?

Bears hired Trestman, actually confirmed this time. So unless Clements wants to be the Jets GM, I think we are safe.

Though Arizona might still be attractive.

pbmax
01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Chip Kelly to the Eagles. This time confirmed. The NFL is going to be getting weirder, and that's good.

Joemailman
01-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Chip Kelly to the Eagles. This time confirmed. The NFL is going to be getting weirder, and that's good.

How many different uniforms will the Eagles have?

pbmax
01-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod
Out of running to be Bears' head coach, #Packers OC Tom Clements on if he'll be back next year: "Absolutely." Any other HC offers? "Nope"

pbmax
01-16-2013, 12:03 PM
How many different uniforms will the Eagles have?

They have already launched three and retired two.

Guiness
01-16-2013, 12:37 PM
That's a petty fast rise in the coaching ranks for Pederson; 4 years as a high school coach, 2 years at offensive QC for the Eagles and 2 years as QB coach. Now OC.

I'd venture that he was a de-facto coach for a few years while he wa here. He was pretty close to a QB coach.

Freak Out
01-16-2013, 01:04 PM

Wow...kind of stunned here. Shouldn't be though.....but WTF Kelly?

mraynrand
01-16-2013, 01:45 PM

He lied to the Browns!

Guiness
01-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Wow...kind of stunned here. Shouldn't be though.....but WTF Kelly?

I'm kind of confused with this one. Didn't he announce he was staying put in Oregon? Was that posturing for more money? Where does Nike/Phil Knight fit into this?

Joemailman
01-16-2013, 02:42 PM
I wonder how much it had to do with having control over player personnel decisions.

pbmax
01-16-2013, 03:23 PM
He lied to the Browns!

Recruits are Tweeting they just met him this week. One kid said he was in my house 2 days ago.

I'm sure the NCAA will be reasonable and let the kids transfer though. :whist:

Cleft Crusty
01-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Recruits are Tweeting they just met him this week. One kid said he was in my house 2 days ago.

Cleft Crusty is confused, Mr. Max. What were Oregon recruits doing in your house?

pbmax
01-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Cleft Crusty is confused, Mr. Max. What were Oregon recruits doing in your house?

Online hackers stole my quotation marks.

Guiness
01-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Please let something happen with this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/trestmans-tebow-connection-put-bears-on-short-list-of-possible-destinations/

Joemailman
01-17-2013, 06:09 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/trestmans-tebow-connection-put-bears-on-short-list-of-possible-destinations/

If he's asked about Tebow at his PC, pretty sure he can't express interest in Tebow because Tebow is still under contract to the Jets. Hard to imagine a new coach coming in would want the distractions that signing Tebow would bring anyway.

woodbuck27
01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127640/article/norv-turner-named-cleveland-browns-offensive-coordinator

Norv Turner named Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator

NFL.com Published: Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:29 p.m

KYPack
01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
If he's asked about Tebow at his PC, pretty sure he can't express interest in Tebow because Tebow is still under contract to the Jets. Hard to imagine a new coach coming in would want the distractions that signing Tebow would bring anyway.

Sheezus!

Tebow may become the first guy to play for every team in the league.

mraynrand
01-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Sheezus!

Tebow may become the first guy to play for every team in the league.

I thought it would be TO, not Tebow

mraynrand
01-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Online hackers stole my quotation marks.

http://i2.cpcache.com/product_zoom/583455577/lets_eat_grandma_drinking_glass.jpg?height=250&width=250&padToSquare=true

woodbuck27
01-17-2013, 01:54 PM

Are you referring to any possibility that Tim may end up with a) the Al's .... or.... b) da Bears?

a) " (Marc) Trestman’s former team, the Montreal Alouettes, hold Tebow’s negotiating rights in the CFL." Fr. Guiness's LINK

b) " None of this means that (Marc) Trestman will be interested now or in the future in acquiring Tebow as a member of the Bears. But it’s fair game to ask him the question at his introductory press conference — and to see if the slams the door on the possibility the same way that Jaguars G.M. Dave Caldwell did last week. " Fr. Guiness's LINK

Guiness
01-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Are you referring to any possibility that Tim may end up with a) the Al's .... or.... b) da Bears?

The Bears. Just thought that would be hilarious, since my first wish, Singletary didn't come true!

But...Tebow in Montreal wouldn't be an awful thing. His tools might actually fit the league. Be a heck of a paycut for him, but I'm not so sure another NFL contract will be coming his way.

sharpe1027
01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
http://i2.cpcache.com/product_zoom/583455577/lets_eat_grandma_drinking_glass.jpg?height=250&width=250&padToSquare=true

Punctuation doesn't kill people. People using punctuation kill people.