PDA

View Full Version : I want lovie smith

red
12-31-2012, 07:00 PM
as our new defensive coordinator

lovie is a defensive guy, and the bears have had one of the best defenses every single year that he's been the coach

capers magic has worn out, bring in lovie

a lovie smith swarming defense to go along with a-rod and all his weapons makes the packers damn near unstopable

thoughts?

and yes, chances are he'll be a head coach somewhere else next year. but i still want him

red
12-31-2012, 07:19 PM
NVM

the guy has already been invited to interview with 4 different teams for their head coaching gigs

well, it was a fun dream for a few minutes

swede
12-31-2012, 07:57 PM
NVM

the guy has already been invited to interview with 4 different teams for their head coaching gigs

well, it was a fun dream for a few minutes

That is just to satisfy Reverend Jackson. The NFL doesn't hire black head coaches.

I'll bet you are not the only one itching for a defensive change, though. The statistics say that Dom's defenses are best in their first couple of years, tailing off after that. Are we really in a place where a fire Dom movement makes it all the way up to Ted and Mike's in-mail, though?

That being said, I always respected Lovie and think he'd fit in someday if he ever quits the HC business.

MadtownPacker
12-31-2012, 08:00 PM
While I figure it would never happen I cant deny it would be the shit.

RashanGary
12-31-2012, 08:17 PM
I think Lovie has always gotten the most out of their group. I've considered him one of the best HC's in the league for a while.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't fall into one of the better HC positions right away.

Packers4Glory
01-01-2013, 10:12 AM
what? Lovie is a good HC?

He is a good defensive coach. He's yet to be able to field an offense worth a shit in a lg where rules have greatly favored offense. His choices for Offensive coordinator are offensive. terrible lack in judgement. He is not rounded enough. He's a defense guy and he's good at building a defense...except when he fired Rivera which was dumb.

Just for shits and giggles, if we did get him as a DC, could we switch back to a 4-3? Does MM want that? Perry probably would be better at DE, but where does that leave a guy like Mathews?

Joemailman
01-01-2013, 10:17 AM
what? Lovie is a good HC?

He is a good defensive coach. He's yet to be able to field an offense worth a shit in a lg where rules have greatly favored offense. His choices for Offensive coordinator are offensive. terrible lack in judgement. He is not rounded enough. He's a defense guy and he's good at building a defense...except when he fired Rivera which was dumb.

Just for shits and giggles, if we did get him as a DC, could we switch back to a 4-3? Does MM want that? Perry probably would be better at DE, but where does that leave a guy like Mathews?

As long as Clay Matthews is an impact player, the Packers will be a 3-4 defense.

Packers4Glory
01-01-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm bummed the bears fired the guy whose main goal was to beat the Packers...over winning the Super Bowl. That should have been clue #1. I really hoped we had one more year of Lovie in chi-town.

LegandofthePack15
01-01-2013, 11:18 AM
As long as Clay Matthews is an impact player, the Packers will be a 3-4 defense.

Lovie would adapt to the Packers' personal, a la Mike Tomlin with the Steelers. Defense would be a 3-4/4-3 hybrid.

On 3rd and longs, I would rather have Smith's boring but effective "Cover-2" than Capers' boring but mostly ineffective 3-Men rush.

Packers4Glory
01-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Lovie would adapt to the Packers' personal, a la Mike Tomlin with the Steelers. Defense would be a 3-4/4-3 hybrid.

On 3rd and longs, I would rather have Smith's boring but effective "Cover-2" than Capers' boring but mostly ineffective 3-Men rush.

I don't think so. Lovie isn't a hybrid or terribly inventive coach like that. He teaches that Cover 2 and teaches it well.

LegandofthePack15
01-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I don't think so. Lovie isn't a hybrid or terribly inventive coach like that. He teaches that Cover 2 and teaches it well.

You can play Cover-2 out of the 3-4. Capers does that all the time.

mmmdk
01-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I'd like Lovie; Packers need coaching changes and All Day might just give TT that to PONDER on...I'd rather be a true 8-8 team than watch our current coaches waste the chance of being the dynasty team this current Packers team should be.

Pugger
01-01-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm bummed the bears fired the guy whose main goal was to beat the Packers...over winning the Super Bowl. That should have been clue #1. I really hoped we had one more year of Lovie in chi-town.

You're reading my mind. I'm still holding out hope Detroit keeps Schwartz.

woodbuck27
01-01-2013, 04:05 PM
While I figure it would never happen I cant deny it would be the shit.

I imagine he feels that he deserves more.

gbgary
01-01-2013, 07:56 PM
as our new defensive coordinator

lovie is a defensive guy, and the bears have had one of the best defenses every single year that he's been the coach

capers magic has worn out, bring in lovie

a lovie smith swarming defense to go along with a-rod and all his weapons makes the packers damn near unstopable

thoughts?

and yes, chances are he'll be a head coach somewhere else next year. but i still want him

when I first heard he was fired I had the same thought for second. I still have confidence in capers though. our d is good and would be even better had it not suffered so many injuries.

run pMc
01-02-2013, 09:38 AM
I actually thought Lovie was a good coach...good D and special teams. The offensive side of the ball was his undoing...along with having OC's like Turner, Shoop, Martz, and Tice. Assuming Cowher and Gruden stay on TV, he and Reid will be the most highly sought after interviews. With HC openings at SD, CLE, PHI, ARI, CHI, KC, BUF they'll land somewhere.

IMO they should've kept him...not just because he's kind of an idiot with the challenge flag, either. He was a MIN loss from making the playoffs. If that's the margin of error for a coach to keep his job after going 10-6 team, there should be a lot more HC openings. The NFCN is a tough division, so playoffs every year aren't a given. Also, GM Emery now has to look at bringing in a new coaching staff -- and possibly retooling the defense away from 4-3 Cover-2 -- during Cutler-Marshall-Forte's prime. All these GM's want to bring in 'their own guy'...I think this will backfire on Emery as hubris, but I hate the Bears so good for GB. :)

denverYooper
01-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Every time I see this thread title I do the fortune cookie trick of adding "in bed" to the end :).

Brandon494
01-02-2013, 01:48 PM

I'm actually the opposite. That was one good thing I took out of our lost to the Vikings is that we got Lovie fired from the Bears.

mraynrand
01-02-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm actually the opposite. That was one good thing I took out of our lost to the Vikings is that we got Lovie fired from the Bears.

I agree. Lovie's a good coach and the Bears played hard for the guy. I just hope they hire a guy like Dick Jauron to replace him; by that I don't mean a D-coor, I mean a Peter Principle kinda guy, like Marty Mornhinweg, who looks good as a coordinator, but lacks HC ability.

pbmax
01-02-2013, 04:23 PM
I agree. Lovie's a good coach and the Bears played hard for the guy. I just hope they hire a guy like Dick Jauron to replace him; by that I don't mean a D-coor, I mean a Peter Principle kinda guy, like Marty Mornhinweg, who looks good as a coordinator, but lacks HC ability.

Marty Schottenheimer is still available.

mraynrand
01-02-2013, 04:26 PM

That would be too much to hope for. My favorite choice for the Bears would be Norvell Turner.

Joemailman
01-02-2013, 04:30 PM

What about Kurt Schottenheimer?

Joemailman
01-02-2013, 05:27 PM

Lovie definitely knew how to gameplan defensively against the Packers. Prior to being saddled with Cutler, he was 7-3 against the Packers. Impossible to tell if the new guy will be better or worse, but I would guess MM and Arod aren't sorry to see him gone.

Upnorth
01-02-2013, 06:25 PM
So Andy Reid is an o side coach who has needed a good oline with a mobile qb to have sucsess. Too me that makes him the perfect head coach for the Bears. that oline combined with Cutlers amazing mobility is a perfect match for Reid (from a packers perspective). After two poor seasons everyone would call for his head before he can get teh shit show straightened out and then its a new head coach to change everything again.