PDA

View Full Version : 8/21 CRISTL CAMP REPORT

Bretsky
08-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Camp Report, Aug. 21
THUMBS UP

The Packers probably would prefer to keep rookie defensive end Jason Hunter on the practice squad and develop him for a year. Plus, the Packers have 12 draft picks and at least three other rookie free agents in addition to Hunter – tackle Josh Bourke, running back Arliss Beach and safety Tra Boger – in the hunt for roster spots. How many rookies can one team keep?

But Hunter might have won himself a spot Saturday night on the final 53-man roster. He tipped a pass that defensive tackle Johnny Jolly intercepted, made two tackles, had at least one pressure and helped chase the quarterback on another play that resulted in a sack. Once that tape circulates around the league, the Packers will be taking a risk if they put Hunter on waivers. He was timed at 4.49 in the 40-yard dash on his pro day at Appalachian State and every team in the league is desperately searching for that kind of speed on the edge.

“It’s hard to find speed like that,” said defensive end Carl Hairston. “When you get people with it, you want to develop it.” It’s because of that speed that Hunter probably has a bigger upside than Dave Tollefson, another rookie defensive end drafted in the seventh round. On Monday, Hunter worked against veteran tackle Mark Tauscher in a two-on-two stunt drill. Hunter didn’t beat Tauscher, but, as usual, he presented a challenge with his speed and explosiveness. “He’s a guy with some development that I think could become a very good player,” said Tauscher.

THUMBS DOWN

Cornerback Ahmad Carroll doesn’t need to become a Pro Bowl player to justify his selection with the 25th pick of the 2004 draft. Of the 42 cornerbacks drafted 20th or lower in the first rounds of the 38 drafts from 1967 through ’04, only 12 have played in a Pro Bowl. But the Packers need Carroll to become a consistent, reliable player or he’ll be written off as a mistake.

At times, in this year’s camp, Carroll has appeared on the verge of becoming just that. His performance Saturday against Atlanta was solid and certainly better than his game against San Diego. But Monday was another of those days where Carroll looked like his old self: Immature and undependable. Wide receiver Marc Boerigter caught a deep out over him and wide receiver Donald Driver burned him on a go pattern in seven-on-seven. In a two-minute drill at the end of practice, Carroll was called for holding on wide receiver Rod Gardner and proceeded to engage in a fight that probably would have drawn another penalty in a game. Gardner might have gotten in the first shove, but Carroll triggered it from there and even kicked Gardner at one point.

INJURY REPORT

Fullback William Henderson (knee) and tackle Todd Williams (knee) missed practice after being injured in Saturday’s game against Atlanta.

Defensive end Dave Tollefson, defensive tackle Kenderick Allen and linebacker Kurt Campbell returned to practice.

William Whitticker (hamstring), Kenny Peterson (ankle), Patrick Dendy (ankle), Mike Hawkins (knee) and Atari Bigby (hand) continued to miss practice.

Bigby had surgery on the index finger of his right hand, but said he hoped to play in the final exhibition with a cast on his hand.

ODDS & ENDS

Rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings made a nice leaping catch on an out pattern in team drills. … Fellow wide receiver Robert Ferguson stood out in one-on-one drills, beating cornerback Al Harris twice, but disappeared again in the team and seven-on-seven periods and didn’t catch a pass. … Boerigter dropped two passes, got his hands on another and couldn’t catch it, and failed to strip cornerback Jerron Wishom of an interception on the final play of practice.

Wishom intercepted quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the two-minute drill. In the first team session, Wishom dropped an interception.

Linebacker Ben Taylor intercepted a Brett Favre pass in a team period, stealing the ball out of tight end Bubba Franks’ hands.

Defensive end Aaron Kampman missed practice for personal reasons, but is expected back Tuesday.

Bretsky
08-22-2006, 12:22 AM
I thought Hunter showed promise as a pass rusher going forward.

I agree that if GB cuts him for a more developed player with less upside it's a big risk.

Should be interesting

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 12:31 AM
It's getting very complicated for Ted Thompson as alot of fellas in TC are stepping up.

We havn't heard alot on DE Jason Hunter and suddenly. Michael Montgomery another young DE that won't go away. It's all good!

Can't wait for the next test. The Bengals. Good test.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH in 2006 !!

Partial
08-22-2006, 12:31 AM
I would be interested in knowing who played ends and when last year. I think the two of 'em were in just about every snap. With montgomery providing rest for them, I say keep him!

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 12:33 AM
I would be interested in knowing who played ends and when last year. I think the two of 'em were in just about every snap. With montgomery providing rest for them, I say keep him!

Early but alot of good things seem to be coming together.

Now the running game. :mrgreen:

Packers ! FAITH FANS !!