PDA

View Full Version : Bears Want To Interview Clements

pbmax
01-02-2013, 08:55 AM
And this time the Packers can't stop him because its for the Head Coaching vacancy.

I cannot wait for James Campen to be Offensive Coordinator. :lol:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/add-tom-clements-to-the-bears-coaching-candidate-list/

https://twitter.com/DavidHaugh/status/286278050172239876

Joemailman
01-02-2013, 09:12 AM
I think Packers saw this coming last year when they promoted McAdoo to QB coach. I think he'd be the heir-apparent for the OC job if Clements leaves.

KYPack
01-02-2013, 09:13 AM
And this time the Packers can't stop him because its for the Head Coaching vacancy.

I cannot wait for James Campen to be Offensive Coordinator. :lol:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/add-tom-clements-to-the-bears-coaching-candidate-list/

https://twitter.com/DavidHaugh/status/286278050172239876

The Barelys wanted to hire Clements for their OC job in 2010. The Pack blocked the interview, but have to let him interview for the HC gig this go round. Chitown hired Martz in '10, then went with meathead last season.

That worked out pretty good, eh?

This seems like deja vu all over again. Last season, you'd have to believe Philbin was a little distracted prior to our Giants play-off game in a similar situation.

Joemailman
01-02-2013, 09:21 AM
I don't think this will be much of a distraction. The Bears can't interview Clements this week, unless MM allows it, which I doubt he will do. The Philbin tragedy last year was a whole different situation. Everybody went to the funeral on Friday, and then had to play on Sunday. That was a huge emotional distraction for the whole team, especially the guys on offense.

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Make him keep his sausages in WI though.

red
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
I say we throw in a pick if they take him for us

Offense regressed bigtime this year under him. I don't care what the stats show. There was a sizable difference between pholbins offense and this years even though the personal was the same

mraynrand
01-02-2013, 10:26 AM
This seems like deja vu all over again. Last season, you'd have to believe Philbin was a little distracted prior to our Giants play-off game in a similar situation.

A good reason why you have the HC call the plays, no? Philbin had other things on his mind than a HC job last year; Packers got beat the way they always do - poor pass pro, poor pass rush, poor secondary play, and marginal run defense. Oh, and dropped passes. Philbin couldn't catch anything last Jan

mraynrand
01-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Offense regressed bigtime this year under him. I don't care what the stats show. There was a sizable difference between pholbins offense and this years even though the personal was the same

IDK - Sherrod and Bulaga were supposed to be in there and instead we have Outhouse and Barclays. The Wells to Saturday to EDS clown circus can't be all that good. Being down to RBs 4 and 5 and street players isn't much help either. Not throwing to Finley for half the season, having Jennings and Nelson - and now Cobb miss a lot of time. Meh - it's not the same, but perhaps they coulda been better. Maybe all that matters is this weekend's game.

Smeefers
01-02-2013, 10:41 AM
I'd hate to see a carousel of OC's. I'd like to get at least a little bit of stability in the position.

mraynrand
01-02-2013, 10:50 AM
I'd hate to see a carousel of OC's. I'd like to get at least a little bit of stability in the position.

This is just par for the course for successful teams; the success rate for first time HCs from the coordinator spot has to be extremely low.

http://media.cleveland.com/browns_impact/photo/11678529-large.jpg

Of course, some guys don't do well their second time around either...

http://www.ohio.com/polopoly_fs/1.272050.1331566511!/remoteImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_440/dick-jauron1.jpg

Joemailman
01-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Well the personnel wasn't the same. Clifton gone, Wells gone, Grant gone until recently, Jennings and Bulaga missing much of the season, Nelson out several games. At any rate, by comparing the 2012 offense to the 2011 offense, you're holding them to a ridiculously high standard. No offense is going to do on a regular basis what the Packers offense did last year, no matter who the OC is.

Pugger
01-02-2013, 11:04 AM
I pray the bares lose patience waiting to interview Clements while we keep winning. I for one do not want Tom to go to a divisional rival, especially to a team with a QB like Cutler. Jay is a head case but has enough talent below the neck that a guy like Clements could make him a competent QB and I sure as hell don't want to see that!

mraynrand
01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Well the personnel wasn't the same. Clifton gone, Wells gone, Grant gone until recently, Jennings and Bulaga missing much of the season, Nelson out several games. At any rate, by comparing the 2012 offense to the 2011 offense, you're holding them to a ridiculously high standard. No offense is going to do on a regular basis what the Packers offense did last year, no matter who the OC is.

The offense scored 34 points against a solid Vikings defense, on their field, in under three quarters without Cobb and with a fifth string RB. There's nothing the offense can't do. The secondary has to show up and play excellent in the next game; limit the Vikings to their running game and it should be a convincing win.

woodbuck27
01-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Nailed it !

Pugger
01-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Yup, like Peter King said we gotta let Rodgers be Rodgers and we'll be fine.

pbmax
01-02-2013, 12:50 PM
The offense scored 34 points against a solid Vikings defense, on their field, in under three quarters without Cobb and with a fifth string RB. There's nothing the offense can't do. The secondary has to show up and play excellent in the next game; limit the Vikings to their running game and it should be a convincing win.

It came down to a few plays. Ridiculous Peterson runs and pass plays that Ponder had not shown he could make in the previous game at Lambeau.

I think Justin is right that this means more zone and less eight in the box. However, Capers could double down on the Ponder bet, throw seven point five in the box* and play man to man and see what happens.

The downside to that is that even if seven in base D can contain Peterson, Ponder can run for firsts on passing downs. A passing capable Viking offense with a QB capable of running suddenly looks formidable.

* Have Woodson play SS position but bail if its not a run. KYs idea of teh rover role Wood plays sometimes in base.

Fritz
01-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Damn this game. Vikings seem to have a lot of confidence now, Packers the usual "well we're in that's all that matters" crap.

Me no like.

mraynrand
01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Yup, like Peter King said we gotta let Rodgers be Rodgers and we'll be fine.

I don't think that's the issue. The issue is that the defense gave up 34 points to a Ponder-led offense. The defensive backs played like they were facing a hot Eli Manning, the inside linebackers looked like Lamont Hollinquest and Torrance Marsahall, and Clay Matthews got run over by a Reindeer on the final critical play.

pbmax
01-03-2013, 10:48 AM
If Peter actually said that, then we have an example of what forced me to abandon traditional sports media coverage and start screaming at people on the internet.

Media Story A: The trouble with the Packers offense is that they do not run enough and the defense can sit back in Cover 2 and stop the passing game. The Packers must stand up to their tar and run it even if he doesn't like it.

Media Story B (six weeks have passed): The Packers are trying TOO hard to run the ball and its impacting the passing game in a negative way. They must let Rodgers be Rodgers.

LegandofthePack15
01-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Clay Matthews got run over by a Reindeer on the final critical play.

Looking back, the Packers should've let Peterson score on that last carry. Offense, which was on fire, would've gotten the ball back with 2 timeouts and less than 60 seconds. Better than letting the clock run down and take a chance at blocking rookie sensation Blair Walsh's fg. Blair Walsh doesn't miss. From anywhere.

Peterson would've been so excited about the record that he would've walked right into the endzone instead of pulling a LeSean McCoy and taking a knee at the 1.

pbmax
01-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Looking back, the Packers should've let Peterson score on that last carry. Offense, which was on fire, would've gotten the ball back with 2 timeouts and less than 60 seconds. Better than letting the clock run down and take a chance at blocking rookie sensation Blair Walsh's fg. Blair Walsh doesn't miss. From anywhere.

Peterson would've been so excited about the record that he would've walked into the endzone instead of pulling a LeSean McCoy and taking a knee at the 1.

That's another lesson to be taught about end game situations. You follow that runner and if he begins to knee down, you knock his butt into the end zone.

mraynrand
01-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Media Story C(Immediately following TN game): The Packers were foolish to not sign Grant sooner; should ride him far into the post season
Media Story D(Immediately following MN loss and three ineffective Grant runs): The Packers are trying too hard to run the older and slower ineffective Grant and must run the more dynamic DuJuan Harris
Media Story E(current to the past hour): The wind is blowing steady from the west; all windmills must be built to permanently face the westerly wind.

pbmax
01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Media Story F: What about forgotten man Alex Green? He could be the key (to something).

pbmax
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I think we have graduated from fan to writer to editor. Still not getting paid.

Fritz
01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Whoever it is, he'd better run as hard as Peterson does, and not fumble the ball. Do those two things, and along with a little blocking, the run game will do its job.

mmmdk
01-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Media Story F: What about forgotten man Alex Green? He could be the key (to something).

Ghostbusters III ?