PDA

View Full Version : Ray Lewis announces he's retiring this season

woodbuck27
01-02-2013, 04:05 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/ray-lewis-retiring-playoffs-ravens_n_2398076.html

Ray Lewis Retiring After Playoffs: Ravens Star Says 'Everything That Starts Has An End'

By DAVID GINSBURG 01/02/13 03:00 PM ET EST

red
01-02-2013, 05:32 PM
not a bad career for a guy who once killed a guy and got off scott free

MJZiggy
01-02-2013, 05:40 PM
He didn't kill the dude, he was an accessory (I forget why because I don't care). Is there anyone who didn't know this was coming this season?

Joemailman
01-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Lewis got off by testifying against his 2 companions who were eventually acquitted. Lewis pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice. The murder has never been solved and no other suspects have ever been arrested. Of course, the fawning coverage today on ESPN and NFL Network didn't mention any of this.

MJZiggy
01-02-2013, 05:53 PM
No, I lived in Tampa at the time. It was all over the news there for quite some time.

Patler
01-02-2013, 06:25 PM
At the time, there was talk of banning him from the NFL for his involvement, whatever it was.
There are some who insist he was more involved than was let on, but who really knows, other than he?

Ron Wolf always insisted that he had already written "Ray Lewis" on the card to turn in at the draft when the Ravens snatched him with the draft pick just before the Packers. He was one pick away from being a Packer. I suspect Packer defenses would have been different with him prowling the field. Apparently, Wolf was pretty sure he would make it through to the Packers pick, and admits he wasn't the best prepared when Lewis was suddenly gone and the Packers were on the clock. He has sort of implied that John Michels (now DR. John Michels) was somewhat of a panic pick.

red
01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
At the time, there was talk of banning him from the NFL for his involvement, whatever it was.
There are some who insist he was more involved than was let on, but who really knows, other than he?

Ron Wolf always insisted that he had already written "Ray Lewis" on the card to turn in at the draft when the Ravens snatched him with the draft pick just before the Packers. He was one pick away from being a Packer. I suspect Packer defenses would have been different with him prowling the field. Apparently, Wolf was pretty sure he would make it through to the Packers pick, and admits he wasn't the best prepared when Lewis was suddenly gone and the Packers were on the clock. He has sort of implied that John Michels (now DR. John Michels) was somewhat of a panic pick.

so you're telling me that once upon a time, we could have had a defense that not only had ray lewis, but reggie white, on the same field?

good god. my how history could have been so much different

Patler
01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
so you're telling me that once upon a time, we could have had a defense that not only had ray lewis, but reggie white, on the same field?

Think of it this way, you'll feel better. - No, they couldn't have had it because the Ravens snatched him up before the Packers had a chance. One pick before or twenty picks before, what's the difference? :lol:

But, they were just one pick away from having it happen. So close but yet so far.

Freak Out
01-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Hell of a player....crazy motherfucker for sure.. Remember his crazy talk about the NFL lockout?

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2013, 11:42 PM

Not to mention with Wayne Simmons. Somebody would have gotten hurt.

LegandofthePack15
01-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Urlacher and Lewis are two of the best LBs I've ever seen play.

Kiwon
01-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Everybody knows Ray Lewis is a great player on the field.

I wonder what kind of person he will be off it. The TV guys love him so he'll probably get a gig somewhere. Can he keep his craziness contained?

I can barely take Warren Sapp on the NFL Network. When Lewis gets fired up, he's Warren Sapp x 2.

Cheesehead Craig
01-03-2013, 08:39 AM
From the sounds of it, Lewis won't be doing the announcing gig. He stated that he promised his son if he got a scholarship to play ball he would be there for his games. He stated that he was done with leaving his family and flying all over the country. He doesn't seem to have the "look at me" ego that Sapp and Irvin have.

Zool
01-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Just because he got away with murder, doesn't mean he's not guilty. He just happened to not get caught.

HOF murdering career over.

woodbuck27
01-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Lewis got off by testifying against his 2 companions who were eventually acquitted. Lewis pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice. The murder has never been solved and no other suspects have ever been arrested. Of course, the fawning coverage today on ESPN and NFL Network didn't mention any of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lewis#Murder_trial

** "On April 29, 2004, Lewis reached a settlement with four-year-old India Lollar, born months after the death of her father Richard, preempting a scheduled civil proceeding. Lewis also reached an undisclosed settlement with Baker's family."

*** " In 2010 Lewis claimed that the prosecution knew he was not involved in the murder but chose to go ahead with the case anyway, saying, "You don't care if I'm guilty or not. You gonna make sure I go to jail for life." ... "

**** " Lewis is a Christian, and his commitment to his faith was featured in a Sports Illustrated cover story in 2006. He has six children. "

pbmax
01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Everybody knows Ray Lewis is a great player on the field.

I wonder what kind of person he will be off it. The TV guys love him so he'll probably get a gig somewhere. Can he keep his craziness contained?

I can barely take Warren Sapp on the NFL Network. When Lewis gets fired up, he's Warren Sapp x 2.

Sapp simply is a threatening clown act. He's not dumb by any means, but the hard ass schtick is hard to stomach.

Lewis is far more thoughtful, though, that doesn't mean he will succeed.

pbmax
01-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Just because he got away with murder, doesn't mean he's not guilty. He just happened to not get caught.

HOF murdering career over.

He was caught, but plea bargained. Not sure we'll ever know whether the case against him was weakest of the three or if he bargained to protect himself. Hard to see a DA give Lewis up if they had better evidence on him than the other two. I always wondered if he financed their defense. He definitely helped ditch evidence.

mraynrand
01-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Not to mention with Wayne Simmons. Somebody would have gotten hurt.

Brian Williams, Wayne Simmons, and Ray Lewis: That's just crazy. But Simmons was gone the next year. Like Ray in there better than Lamont Hollinquest (:lol:) or a way, way over the hill Seth Joyner!

Freak Out
01-03-2013, 12:01 PM
"Everything that starts has an end". I'm so moved Ray Ray.....moved to take a dump.

Fritz
01-03-2013, 12:27 PM

You'd think a GM of Wolf's stature wouldn't be so cocksure that Lewis - or any pick - would be waiting, for certain, at his pick. I can't tell whether this is another instance of Wolf trying to burnish his legacy (he knew Ray Lewis was going to be so, so good) or if he's owning up to Michels being a poorly-researched panic pick.

mraynrand
01-03-2013, 12:32 PM
"Everything that starts has an end". I'm so moved Ray Ray.....moved to take a dump.

it is what it is

mmmdk
01-03-2013, 01:03 PM

I love Brain Noble too; loved the effort he brought!

Patler
01-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Went back and read some articles about the two "unsolved" murders to which Ray Lewis was connected.

I had forgotten how scummy I had felt he was, but I now remember.

pbmax
01-07-2013, 10:41 AM
I had forgotten how there was testimony that the two friends involved had bought 2 knives at a sporting goods store a day prior to the fight. Lewis had an appearance at a sporting goods store and the two did some shopping.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-mike-bianchi-ray-lewis-0106-20130105,0,1707256.column

Patler
01-07-2013, 10:59 AM
I had forgotten how there was testimony that the two friends involved had bought 2 knives at a sporting goods store a day prior to the fight. Lewis had an appearance at a sporting goods store and the two did some shopping.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-mike-bianchi-ray-lewis-0106-20130105,0,1707256.column

Yup, lots of unexplained things in the incident, like what happened to the knives and the white suit that Lewis was photographed wearing just minutes before the stabbings? Why originally statements by the limo driver were later changed significantly? Why there was faulty or inadequate follow up on reports from witness at the scene and at other places a similar limo was seen later? Why Lewis was given such a great plea deal in return for testimony that turned out rather meaningless to the prosecution, etc.

I'm not sure he deserves the adulation the league has poured on him over the years.

pbmax
01-07-2013, 11:02 AM
We also do not know what precipitated the argument in the first place, or at least, what escalated it to knife fight.

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Yup, lots of unexplained things in the incident, like what happened to the knives and the white suit that Lewis was photographed wearing just minutes before the stabbings? Why originally statements by the limo driver were later changed significantly? Why there was faulty or inadequate follow up on reports from witness at the scene and at other places a similar limo was seen later? Why Lewis was given such a great plea deal in return for testimony that turned out rather meaningless to the prosecution, etc.

I'm not sure he deserves the adulation the league has poured on him over the years.

After he was "exonerated", he said something to the press about how there are gangsters and hoodlums on every team (which I am sure is true), but he said it in such cynical, "you can't touch me" sneering way, I always remembered it.

Two more sacrificed to the God of ProFootball.

Patler
01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
We also do not know what precipitated the argument in the first place, or at least, what escalated it to knife fight.

It's so long ago that I have forgotten the details; but it wasn't really even a knife "fight" was it? I don't recall anything about the victims having had weapons, just that they were stabbed repeatedly for no clear reason..

pbmax
01-07-2013, 11:44 AM
It's so long ago that I have forgotten the details; but it wasn't really even a knife "fight" was it? I don't recall anything about the victims having had weapons, just that they were stabbed repeatedly for no clear reason..

I recall a lack of information about what might have some before. It was an upscaled club, and I was surprised someone did not see or hear anything prior.

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Isn't it long, long past the time that assault knives were outlawed? Hasn't this nation suffered enough? next: outlaw assault LBs

denverYooper
01-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Isn't it long, long past the time that assault knives were outlawed? Hasn't this nation suffered enough? next: outlaw assault LBs

I thought James Harrison was illegal.

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 12:35 PM

He's been severely restricted. In several states, the Steelers are required to get a special permit to allow him to play. He has to register with the FBI, and is not allowed to have certain kinds of metal in his helmet. Once, playing in Chicago, Mike Tomlin almost dropped him off at a police-sponsored Turn-in event for $300 worth of Best Buy gift cards - no questions asked. In a sane, civil society, James Harrison would never be produced in the first place.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 12:48 PM
You would have thought Palomalou was the illegal.

Freak Out
01-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Well...if Lewis believes the stuff he spouts he knows he'll burn in his hell for eternity.

Guiness
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
I remember being disgusted by everything surrounding that trial, and it was all happening around the same time as the Rae Carruth trial.

Lewis seems to have cleaned up his act though, and there was never another hint of him being a thug, despite being under quite a microscope as one of the faces of the nfl. I tend to think he was still hanging with his 'homeys' when this happened, and cleaned himself up after the event.

Patler
01-07-2013, 01:44 PM
I remember being disgusted by everything surrounding that trial, and it was all happening around the same time as the Rae Carruth trial.

Lewis seems to have cleaned up his act though, and there was never another hint of him being a thug, despite being under quite a microscope as one of the faces of the nfl. I tend to think he was still hanging with his 'homeys' when this happened, and cleaned himself up after the event.

That may be true, but I have a strong suspicion he knows exactly what happened, and he let his loyalty to his "homeys" overrule any ethical obligation to the victims and their families. He had months and months to think about it, and I am of the opinion that he played the system into a win for himself and his "homeys" by being less than truthful.

Just my opinion based on limited information.

Patler
01-07-2013, 01:51 PM

Are you old enough to have critically seen anyone before the present era of Urlacher and Lewis, or are you simply "going out on a limb" and saying they are the two best of their time? ;-):grin:

woodbuck27
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
That may be true, but I have a strong suspicion he knows exactly what happened, and he let his loyalty to his "homeys" overrule any ethical obligation to the victims and their families. He had months and months to think about it, and I am of the opinion that he played the system into a win for himself and his "homeys" by being less than truthful.

Just my opinion based on limited information.

Here are some facts that contradict your position RE: any ethical obligation on Ray Lewis's part to the victims and their families :

Atlanta, January 31, 2000, a fight broke out between Lewis and his companions and another group of people, resulting in the stabbing deaths of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar.

On April 29, 2004, Lewis reached a settlement with four-year-old India Lollar, born months after the death of her father Richard, pre-empting a scheduled civil proceeding. Lewis also reached an undisclosed settlement with Baker's family

LegandofthePack15
01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Are you old enough to have critically seen anyone before the present era of Urlacher and Lewis, or are you simply "going out on a limb" and saying they are the two best of their time? ;-):grin:

Unfortunately, I am approaching 30 and am already bald. Wish I could be a vampire and be 21 or 23 forever. :cry:

Have never seen Ray-Something or Dick-Something play. Might have seen that Bear LB Mike-Something play but I can't recall.

Why can't we all be vampires?
Immortal beings with immoral desires
All the time in this world for love and lust
Forever young, forever robust
---Me :-)

Patler
01-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately, I am approaching 30 and am already bald. Wish I could be a vampire and be 21 or 23 forever. :cry:

Have never seen Ray-Something or Dick-Something play. Might have seen that Bear LB Mike-Something play but I can't recall.

Why can't we all be vampires?
Immortal beings with immoral desires
All the time in this world for love and lust
Forever young, forever robust
---Me :-)

How about Junior Something? Do you remember him at linebacker when he was still in San Diego, or only his later years in Miami and NE? Pretty decent as well.

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Shoulda seen some Derrick Thomas; too bad if you have no memory of Lawrence Taylor - best OLB, maybe best LB ever.

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Shoulda seen some Derrick Thomas; too bad if you have no memory of Lawrence Taylor - best OLB, maybe best LB ever.

Yawp. LT.

LP
01-07-2013, 05:34 PM
LT and Ray Lewis could be cellmates.

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 05:43 PM
LT and Ray Lewis could be cellmates.

Ray would read bedtime stories to LT.

Freak Out
01-07-2013, 07:17 PM

Ray can read? Oh sorry...that was bad.

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 07:24 PM

http://megan.secure-2.com/images/christmas3.png

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
http://megan.secure-2.com/images/christmas3.png

lol!

Zool
01-08-2013, 09:15 AM
I do love a good HOF career with a felony or 2 mixed in.