PDA

View Full Version : PACK often Denies Assistants Permission to Interview with Others

Bretsky
01-02-2013, 06:56 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-often-deny-assistants-permission-to-interview-with-other-teams-ks87jo8-185390861.html

Pugger
01-03-2013, 09:48 AM
I hope Clements doesn't go anywhere. Rodgers relies upon him a lot and you see him sitting next to TC after every offensive series and not McAdoo.

Fritz
01-03-2013, 09:49 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-often-deny-assistants-permission-to-interview-with-other-teams-ks87jo8-185390861.html

I'm a little surprised. That would not seem to make for a good working environment, knowing your boss is keeping you from opportunites to advance.

mraynrand
01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm a little surprised. That would not seem to make for a good working environment, knowing your boss is keeping you from opportunites to advance.

I'm betting it's only with division rivals. Clements should understand.

Bretsky
01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm betting it's only with division rivals. Clements should understand.

I don't think it's only with divisional rivals. But it is what it is

Assistant coaches typically have 2 year contracts. They can resign them, or not sign them and make themselves a free agent. If they choose to resign their contract, as all Green Bay is doing is making them honor the contract.

If they think they can do better, they can choose not to sign the renewal and be a coaching free agent.

That is the structure....don't blame GB at all for making them honor their deals.

woodbuck27
01-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Tom Clements (circa 2023). Long time Offensive Co-ordinator for the GREEN BAY PACKERS.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR04AvuUZUDyJfAB3jn2ZloQTLnjWs3f cnSAWMMCCXicbTikrnMhw

LOVES HIS JOB !

digitaldean
01-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Since we are on the topic of Packers staff interviewing elsewhere:

John Dorsey is interviewing for Jets GM position and is leading candidate to replace Scott Pioli in Kansas City (somehow possible hiring of Reid would tie in with Dorsey being GM).

pittstang5
01-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Since we are on the topic of Packers staff interviewing elsewhere:

John Dorsey is interviewing for Jets GM position and is leading candidate to replace Scott Pioli in Kansas City (somehow possible hiring of Reid would tie in with Dorsey being GM).

Is that becoming the "norm?' - Hire the Coach before the GM? Doesn't make sense.

RashanGary
01-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Is that becoming the "norm?' - Hire the Coach before the GM? Doesn't make sense.

That's what losers do :)

mraynrand
01-04-2013, 08:29 AM

It's what Cleveland is doing. FYI, Bernie Kosar is OK with it - "The Coach gets the blame for what happens on the field, so shouldn't he have a lot more control of the players he gets to do what he wants to do?"

Fritz
01-04-2013, 08:51 AM
It's what Cleveland is doing. FYI, Bernie Kosar is OK with it - "The Coach gets the blame for what happens on the field, so shouldn't he have a lot more control of the players he gets to do what he wants to do?"

This seems like just a back-door way to have a coach also acting as a quasi-GM. It's almost like the GM is an assistant or something.

I don't think it's necessarily a good idea. So maybe that's why teams like Cleveland and KC are considering it...

pbmax
01-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Worked for Belicheck and its worked for one year under Shanahan.

And its inevitable for the most sought after coaches. The question is, how did Reid acquire so much power so early in his tenure? I think he had final say from the get go in Philly. Its one reason why recycling coaches seems to have a self limiting level of success.

pbmax
01-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't think it's only with divisional rivals. But it is what it is

Assistant coaches typically have 2 year contracts. They can resign them, or not sign them and make themselves a free agent. If they choose to resign their contract, as all Green Bay is doing is making them honor the contract.

If they think they can do better, they can choose not to sign the renewal and be a coaching free agent.

That is the structure....don't blame GB at all for making them honor their deals.

Do Asst. coaches get paid if they are let go?

pbmax
01-04-2013, 12:47 PM

They are trying to entice Chip Kelly to come to Cleveland. And the working assumption is that his offense is so different, that he will require more say than is typical for a first year HC.

mraynrand
01-04-2013, 12:59 PM
They are trying to entice Chip Kelly to come to Cleveland. And the working assumption is that his offense is so different, that he will require more say than is typical for a first year HC.

They also want the Belichick model, because they've seen it work, and are still sore that Bill and the team got away. Do you think the Kelly-gun II offense will fly in the NFL? The guy on the Browns who probably wants it the most is Trent Richardson, because he will get less beat up. But they seem to be missing a ton of parts to make it happen; might be two-three years before they get there...

pbmax
01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
They also want the Belichick model, because they've seen it work, and are still sore that Bill and the team got away. Do you think the Kelly-gun II offense will fly in the NFL? The guy on the Browns who probably wants it the most is Trent Richardson, because he will get less beat up. But they seem to be missing a ton of parts to make it happen; might be two-three years before they get there...

Frankly, not sure I know enough to offer a decent opinion. I don't think he is Spurrier or Saban. Spurrier was stubbornly trying to fit his offense into the NFL and did not have the QB for it. He also was hamstrung by Snyder's lapdog GM Cerrato. Saban seemed to be simply biding him time until a new job opened in college.

The best case for Kelly working was here: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems

He will need to tweak some things, to account for his players if not his scheme's suitability in the NFL. And that leads back to the true question: do you let Kelly select his own players? Or does he need a seasoned hand who is willing to get him the "types" he needs? The article mentions (if not then I have read it elsewhere) that Kelly gets by on second tier recruiting classes. So he can make due with less than ideal fits.

I think he has a chance. I think watching Newton, RGIII, Wilson, Rodgers, Young and Kapernick run some kind of read option (or for Young/Rodgers the omnipresent threat of defeating coverage by escaping the pocket) have come to the conclusion that a running-capable QB is not necessarily a soon to be IRd QB. These guys aren't running sneaks or triple options like Tommy Frazier.

Bretsky
01-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Do Asst. coaches get paid if they are let go?

This is a good question.....I'm fairly sure the team will need to honor the two year contract for those who have them. If the contract is not renewed they are jobless.
On the other hand....the scenario that has my doubting this is Jacksonville. Their coach, I think, has only been there a yr and he's on shaky ground. They have told
all of their assistants they have permission to look elsewhere. I think if the coach is canned they have to pay the contracts of the assts out. If a coach is canned they still have to pay the coach what is owed

Guiness
01-04-2013, 11:42 PM
This is a good question.....I'm fairly sure the team will need to honor the two year contract for those who have them. If the contract is not renewed they are jobless.
On the other hand....the scenario that has my doubting this is Jacksonville. Their coach, I think, has only been there a yr and he's on shaky ground. They have told
all of their assistants they have permission to look elsewhere. I think if the coach is canned they have to pay the contracts of the assts out. If a coach is canned they still have to pay the coach what is owed

?

Unless I read that wrong, you said you doubted your point because of Jax, but your explanation of the situation there supported it?

I'm pretty sure as well that they have to pay the assistants out if they are let go.