PDA

View Full Version : Why was DD in street clothes?

Jimx29
01-05-2013, 11:19 PM
I don't remember reading anything about him.

Bossman641
01-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Inactive

woodbuck27
01-05-2013, 11:23 PM
I don't remember reading anything about him.

A good question. He was wearing a dark Green Bay Packer winter coat I believe.

Inactive?

Lurker64
01-05-2013, 11:23 PM
He was a healthy scratch. 7 people have to be inactive, Driver was one of them.

Apparently they thought he would help less at WR than Boykin or Ross.

woodbuck27
01-05-2013, 11:24 PM
He was a healthy scratch. 7 people have to be inactive, Driver was one of them.

Apparently they thought he would help less at WR than Boykin or Ross.

OK Thanks

OS PA
01-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Special Teams.

Jimx29
01-05-2013, 11:26 PM
well that sucks.....having (probably) your last game at Lambeau in street clothes sucks. At least from my point of view

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2013, 11:34 PM
If he wasn't one of the best 46, I don't have a problem with it. It's sad, but this is playoff time. Personally, I think they kept him a year too long. If he wasn't Driver, he probably wouldn't be on the team.

woodbuck27
01-05-2013, 11:34 PM
well that sucks.....having (probably) your last game at Lambeau in street clothes sucks. At least from my point of view

Yup. An anti-climactic ending for DD.... if he cannot participate.

Another Super Bowl ring might certainly help some.

ND72
01-05-2013, 11:42 PM
He's been inactive last 3 weeks

Pugger
01-05-2013, 11:50 PM

You could see disappointment etched all over his face several times when the camera was on him and he didn't realize it. :-(

LegandofthePack15
01-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Nothing to regret about. Driver has had a long and satisfying career. Not bad for a 7th rounder.

Bossman641
01-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Nothing to regret about. Driver has had a long and satisfying career. Not bad for a 7th rounder.

For once I agree with you

mmmdk
01-06-2013, 07:01 AM
DD was in street clothes 'cos it was pretty cold and would look kinda silly naked on sideline.

sheepshead
01-06-2013, 08:10 AM
If he wasn't one of the best 46, I don't have a problem with it. It's sad, but this is playoff time. Personally, I think they kept him a year too long. If he wasn't Driver, he probably wouldn't be on the team.

I thought this also during the game. It's time for the ring of honor and golf outings Donald.

mission
01-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Comes down to Jeremy Ross, really. They need him.

rbaloha1
01-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Yes sir.

DD was fortunate to make the roster and play for NFL vet minimum.

gbgary
01-06-2013, 10:53 AM

yup...all about ross...who I was disappointed to see replaced by cobb. he's doing very well.

red
01-06-2013, 11:00 AM
yup...all about ross...who I was disappointed to see replaced by cobb. he's doing very well.

yeah, i just don't get why cobb had so many returns last night. no need for that risk when ross is handling the return duties so well

denverYooper
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
yeah, i just don't get why cobb had so many returns last night. no need for that risk when ross is handling the return duties so well

I think it's Ross on KOs, Cobb on punts for now. The Vikings just punted a lot more than they kicked off :).

Lurker64
01-06-2013, 11:41 AM

This is really the issue. Driver can play a little as a WR, but he can't play special teams. Ross is on this team specifically to play special teams (he's the KR/PR behind Cobb). Bottom of the roster guys (which Driver unarguably is at this point, being behind Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, and Jones at his position) need to play special teams to get on the field.

Driver is probably a better receiver than Ross and Boykin, but those two play special teams and Driver doesn't.

King Friday
01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
It was EXACTLY why I didn't want to see them bring Driver back.

He's WORTHLESS to special teams, which is what the #5/#6 WR usually offers. There was no point in bringing the guy back, other than to appease a bunch of fans who don't have a clue.

Guiness
01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
It was EXACTLY why I didn't want to see them bring Driver back.

He's WORTHLESS to special teams, which is what the #5/#6 WR usually offers. There was no point in bringing the guy back, other than to appease a bunch of fans who don't have a clue.

And to provide depth against injuries. The Pack had injuries this year, with Jennings and Nelson missing significant time, but a rather unexpected giant step forward by Jones made the need for Driver a lot lower than it would have been.

King Friday
01-06-2013, 02:08 PM
And to provide depth against injuries. The Pack had injuries this year, with Jennings and Nelson missing significant time, but a rather unexpected giant step forward by Jones made the need for Driver a lot lower than it would have been.

I don't think Driver would've provided much regardless. The guy was being covered by LBs somewhat effectively by the end of last year, although he did make a few plays against those and the dimebacks. There are a lot of receivers in the NFL who are as good as Driver is now...most of them, in fact.

Driver is a great Packer...one of the best to ever wear the uniform as a WR. But holding on too long is ALWAYS a mistake.

Guiness
01-06-2013, 04:09 PM
I don't think Driver would've provided much regardless. The guy was being covered by LBs somewhat effectively by the end of last year, although he did make a few plays against those and the dimebacks. There are a lot of receivers in the NFL who are as good as Driver is now...most of them, in fact.

Driver is a great Packer...one of the best to ever wear the uniform as a WR. But holding on too long is ALWAYS a mistake.

I don't think he embarrassed himself this year - but he did put the team in a bad spot...I'm sure they would have rather not have 7 WRs on the roster. I hope he hangs it up now.

Brandon494
01-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Dude the Giants played zone when he was being covered in the flat by a LB. Speaking of fans who don't have a clue if you really think teams cover Driver with a LBs.

With James Jones and Randall Cobb stepping up their game this season it really wasn't any need for him. I for one am glad we decided to keep him for one more season, whos Tori Gurley playing for again? :smile:

Guiness
01-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Buck and Troy much less annoying than usual. I guess they only spout the absurdities when doing the Packer games.

Willard
01-06-2013, 05:38 PM
I hope Driver's sister isn't on Twitter.

Jimx29
01-06-2013, 06:19 PM
I hope Driver's sister isn't on Twitter.

http://i.imgur.com/oXVCP.gif

Lurker64
01-06-2013, 06:49 PM
With James Jones and Randall Cobb stepping up their game this season it really wasn't any need for him. I for one am glad we decided to keep him for one more season, whos Tori Gurley playing for again? :smile:

Well, they kept 6 WRs, they usually keep 5 because WR5 is traditionally a special teams player, but Driver doesn't play special teams. They could have just gone Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones, and Boykin for their 5 WRs. Then they could have used Driver's roster spot on a player at a different position (like Lawrence Guy, say.)

But sentimentality got in the way of business with Driver.

denverYooper
01-06-2013, 07:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/oXVCP.gif

Is that Max Weinberg?

RashanGary
01-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Boykin has been a mainstay on STs for us the last few weeks. Obviously it would be hard to imagine Ross not being in the same boat. Not only is he a heck of a returner, but he laid some sweet blocks on a couple of those quick WR screens. He adds something to our team.

I didn't like seeing him on the sideline. You could see how badly it hurt him to not be out there, but like they said above, the guy has had a great career. He has a ring on his finger from a SB win he contributed to and a lot of love from Packer nation from now until forever.

He was cool on dancing with the stars, although a little stiff :) Tough dude though. That other guy, the bigger latin guy, Driver was smaller with twice the power. Shows the difference between athletes and pretty men. Driver is 38 friggin years old, still playing with 25 year olds. That alone is impressive. You stack him up against just about anyone (outside of elite professional athletes still in their primes) and the dude is still a fucking beast. No shame in being Donald Driver IMO.

LEWCWA
01-07-2013, 09:07 AM
DD has climbed very high on my all-time favorite Packers list. The guy is class through and through. Hopefully he is in the lockerroom for years to come as an asst. coach!

Pugger
01-07-2013, 10:57 AM
It was still rather sad seeing him in street clothes with a dour look on his face Saturday night. :sad:

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 12:23 PM
I thought this also during the game. It's time for the ring of honor and golf outings Donald.

DD will not make the NFL HOF.

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 12:28 PM
It was still rather sad seeing him in street clothes with a dour look on his face Saturday night. :sad:

yes, but it's better than seeing him instead of Ross on special teams. In the multiple, multiple exciting threads all cleverly entitled "Donald Driver" that graced the pages of Packerrats over the past year or two, every thread ended up in the same place: That Driver was slipping, he almost certainly would lose that last step that he needed to be effective, and that his unavailability for special teams would eventually be the final nail in his coffin. Those people saying those things, in those entertainingly and enticingly titled "Donald Driver" threads were correct. not earth-shattering stuff, considering the guy;s age. Just reality. Thanks Donald - what a pro, and what a great guy. My only regret from the WC game: That he got the "always has a smile on his face treatment" from Chris Collinsworthless, made more trite, absurd, and irrelevant due tothe fact that Donald wasn't smiling.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2013, 09:04 PM
DD will not make the NFL HOF.

I think he's talking about getting his name up on the inside of Lambeau.

denverYooper
01-07-2013, 10:10 PM
I think he's talking about getting his name up on the inside of Lambeau.

Ring of Honor has the names of the players who are in Canton.

Jimx29
01-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Glad to see he's been activated for tonights game