PDA

View Full Version : Studs and Duds - Playoff Edition - GB vs Minn

ThunderDan
01-06-2013, 09:37 AM
What a fantastic game. The Packers held the Vikings in check all game except the Vikings first drive and a busted coverage late in the fourth. The weather was perfect for a January night game. I was nice and toasty all game.

Studs:
DuJuan Harris - Played his heart out again for the Pack. While the holes weren't there in the running game for most of the night, DuJuan got the most he could and was a threat out of the backfield as the Pack nickle and dimed the Queens all game.

Sam Shield - He has all over the field and I think he was our leading tackler for the night.

ARod - Great night. Used his check down all night and torn the Vikings apart using the 5 yard throw. Held the ball too long in certain situation but in a game where the only way the Vikings could win was by turnovers it was OK.

Duds:
I will let you guys decide this. I didn't really care as the Packers were cruising up 24-3 in the second half. Other than the busted coverage the Pack D played well. The O played well when it matter. It would have been nice to pick up a few more first downs in the second half running but by that time the game was well in hand.

Other:
The refs - Is there going to be one close call all year that the refs give to GB so the other team has to challenge and not us to get it right? That's three calls in the last two weeks that the refs fucked up. We challenged two and got two TDs and the third we didn't have a TO to challenge the pass that clearly hit the ground.

Lambeau Field - It was rocking in Lambeau last night. Extremely loud. It was the first time that I remember that when we did the Go Pack Go! chant the sound actually echoed off the other side of the bowl. We had a few Viking fans in the section around us. One old guy had an ALL DAY sign. By the third quarter the whole section was going ALL DAY after the Pack would stuff AP for a 2 yard gain. I also got an "Ass Sack" chant going on Clay Matthews sack.

mission
01-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Studs-
Walden - aside from one play when he lost outside contain, this might have been his best game as a professional. looked like a monster out there.
Shields - awesome out there, throwing his body around, solid coverage
Harris - just provides a different element. the difference between him and grant is staggering.
MM - not a big fan of his 4th quarter turtle offense, I was very happy to see the short game in tact for the first time all year like he was saving his cover 2 beater for the playoffs. screens and dump offs ... Love it!

Duds -
Hawk - Just because I had to pick someone

RashanGary
01-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Duds -

LMFAO

2nd

red
01-06-2013, 10:54 AM
yeah, lets call hawk a dud because he was the only guy on the field that noticed that the entire secondary had just let a WR run right past them to the endzone

red
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM
studs

CMIII and Raji

both where beasts on the field last night

denverYooper
01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Really liked seeing Harris in the passing game, aside from the first series :). That was one aspect of his game we haven't seen much of and he looked capable there. If he can continue to get first downs there, he's going to give opposing defenses something to think about.

denverYooper
01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
studs

CMIII and Raji

both where beasts on the field last night

DL all played well but Raji is really starting to shine as a disruptive force again.

Willard
01-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Stud - Chuck. Difference maker. Getting after the QB, slicing in to get a TFL on Peterson.

Single play observation: quiet day from Finley, but he had a devastating block on a purple DE, basically launching him into irrelevance for the play. Nice help for Barclay.

red
01-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Stud - Chuck. Difference maker. Getting after the QB, slicing in to get a TFL on Peterson.

Single play observation: quiet day from Finley, but he had a devastating block on a purple DE, basically launching him into irrelevance for the play. Nice help for Barclay.

yup, team has a whole different attitude with wood on the field

Patler
01-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Woodson definitely deserves to be mentioned with the studs.

Pugger
01-06-2013, 11:06 AM

Finley was interferred with in the end zone on that one 'drop'. You could see the queen was tugging on his jersey well before the ball got there and it probably messed up the timing on that play.

denverYooper
01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Woodson. He's an upgrade at safety right now. They'll need that for a stretch run.

I'll even forgive the forthcoming Defensive Holding penalty that extends a drive. Although the refs seem to be laying off those this year.

pbmax
01-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Woodson definitely deserves to be mentioned with the studs.

So was the Game Day prediction of Packer carnage the Patlerized version of the Whammy (tm) or an actual prediction?

pbmax
01-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Studs:

Woodson, simply more decisive and better tackler than his replacements. Though this comes at a cost: he is going to get burned deep eventually.

Walden/Moses: really stood up well this game after struggling last week. Walden esp. kept his outside leverage.

Jennings: He's back. far more like mid-season form that his return last year.

Agree with rest.

Six of one, half dozen of the other

Hawk: Second game in a row he was getting blocked well but he did hold up in the hole this time and was not hung out to dry like last week by teammates. So overall very ordinary.

Jones: Still can be late to the hole and let Webb spin out for a big gain early. But his coverage deep will help versus VD and 9ers.

Duds

Several players: Deep coverage left few guys open again.

Second half offense. Need a first down boys. They did get one at the end, but it took too long.

LegandofthePack15
01-06-2013, 11:48 AM
We had a few Viking fans in the section around us.

A few? Try a lot. Stadium was full of Queens. They weren't rude like Eagles or Giants fans; very humble - at least at the section I was at. After Jennings made a nice catch in the 2nd quarter, one guy behind me was like, 'Nice catch; Jennings' gonna look good in purple next season.'

Mice:

2nd half offense - 6 punts in a half ain't gonna do it against SF or Atlanta. Did not take advantage of turnovers. Did not take advantage of good field positions. I probably will stop watching the game after the first series of the 2nd half when I review it on the DVR.

mmmdk
01-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Can't take this thread seriuosly without ANY mention of Kuhn; he owns you all man . Shame on you! :smile:

:knll: TO KUHN

Cheesehead Craig
01-06-2013, 01:04 PM
I'll actually give a Stud to the officials. Other than the blown TD call on the field, which was tough to see and they got it right on review, they were pretty invisible and just let the teams play. Given the flag fests we've seen before, it was a great job by this crew.

pbmax
01-06-2013, 01:17 PM
I'll actually give a Stud to the officials. Other than the blown TD call on the field, which was tough to see and they got it right on review, they were pretty invisible and just let the teams play. Given the flag fests we've seen before, it was a great job by this crew.

Good point.

Also kudos to Kuhn's 2 TDs but far too many short yardage plays getting stuffed. Part him but also part O line.

King Friday
01-06-2013, 01:36 PM

I'm not sure why the refs don't just signal TD if it is close like that and they aren't sure...because then the play will be automatically reviewed. If a ref is 90% convinced he saw something, fine. But when they are all looking at each other and clearly not sure what to do...rule TD and let the replay ref determine what the hell happened.

mmmdk
01-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Good point.

Also kudos to Kuhn's 2 TDs but far too many short yardage plays getting stuffed. Part him but also part O line.

Kuhn is part Wolverine, part Transformer (think Helicopter) but stuffing thing was ALL O line! It's a WW known fact.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Studs-
Walden - aside from one play when he lost outside contain, this might have been his best game as a professional. looked like a monster out there.
Shields - awesome out there, throwing his body around, solid coverage
Harris - just provides a different element. the difference between him and grant is staggering.
MM - not a big fan of his 4th quarter turtle offense, I was very happy to see the short game in tact for the first time all year like he was saving his cover 2 beater for the playoffs. screens and dump offs ... Love it!

Duds -

At home, I was ripping Walden for losing contain early. I've seen it too often. I told superfan that he needs to be benched. Then, he turns it around (although some of it was dumb luck). Dude had a good game. I wish he was more consistent. I'm still hoping Perry returns healthy and improved next year, so I don't have to watch Walden.

Guiness
01-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Agreed. There were just not a lot of flags last night.

The blow TD call is weird. If MM thinks it's a TD, he's in a tough spot because of that rule about not being able to throw the flag in certain situations...as we saw last week. It was not signaled a TD, he thought it was and challenged, but could not challenge for a different reason - because it was a turnover. Which is automatically reviewed, and can't be challenged unless it can be, which happens when it's ruled no fumble but you think it is. :whaa: Pbmax explained this to me :cnf: I bet that know it all can even tell you what constitutes a catch in the end zone!! lol

I can't see them keeping that rule in place next season. A coach almost has to go ask the referee if he is allowed to challenge...

Guiness
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Stud: Shields, some great run support. He got good outside contain on #28 a couple of times.

Duds: the D on the long TD pass that had Hawk trailing behind the WR on what looked like a post corner or maybe just a straight fly route. I think it was a post corner run from the slot, or why else would the MLB have been following him out there??? I watched the presser after the game, and was hopping someone would ask what happened there.

pbmax
01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
At home, I was ripping Walden for losing contain early. I've seen it too often. I told superfan that he needs to be benched. Then, he turns it around (although some of it was dumb luck). Dude had a good game. I wish he was more consistent. I'm still hoping Perry returns healthy and improved next year, so I don't have to watch Walden.

Agree with your initial read. McGinn also mentioned three significant Webb runs and put the blame on Walden twice, during first two series. But after that, he and Moses stayed put.

A lot of this is trust. You see such a good back stopped but not yet tackled and you want to close fast and finish it before he can do something else. But by staying put you keep five other teammates in the play and give them a chance to tackle as well. If you close, RB can escape everybody else and then beat you one on one.

Een if you are successful in getting AP down, the habit comes back to bite you if the QB bootlegs out.

swede
01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Kuhn is a guy. He is a guy that has to handle the ball in some of the most obvious and artless short-yardage running plays I have ever seen. Listen to me, and I am serious about this, Stubby needs a short-yardage offensive coordinator to walk over and grab his freaking headset whenever we have third and three or less to call something other than "what if we give the lead blocker the ball--again---and again----and again----and again" or "bombs away!"

Paradoxically, Stubby gets the headset back for 4th and shorts where he is pretty much money.

Cheesehead Craig
01-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Stud: Shields, some great run support. He got good outside contain on #28 a couple of times.

Duds: the D on the long TD pass that had Hawk trailing behind the WR on what looked like a post corner or maybe just a straight fly route. I think it was a post corner run from the slot, or why else would the MLB have been following him out there??? I watched the presser after the game, and was hopping someone would ask what happened there.

To me, it was Woodson. Williams goes and covers a WR on an out and Woodson just kinda hangs around by the LOS. Don't know where the hell the safties were though. Hawk had to be dropping back in a zone as there's no way he was supposed to cover a WR.

Freak Out
01-06-2013, 06:59 PM
I just don't get some of the Kuhn runs being called in the situations they packers were in. With all the weapons they have at their disposal you would think M3 on crew could come up with something that stands a better chance of succeeding.

Freak Out
01-06-2013, 07:03 PM
We know what the Packers are capable of when the team is healthy...even with a garbage OL. This game proves very little IMHO because of the loss of Ponder. Sure the D contained the Purple Messiah...but last night that's all they really had to worry about this time around. Webb was horrific.

Pugger
01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
I hope we attack Gore like we did AP last night and stay in our lanes. That way we can keep both Gore and their rookie QB in front of us.

MadScientist
01-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Duds:
Team 'energy' at the start of the game. The defense lets Webb lead a scoring drive and the offense goes 3 and out. This has been happening almost every week.

Whoever blew coverage so badly that even Webb could throw a TD pass.

pbmax
01-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Team energy is like ether in classical physics. The Greeks believed in team energy just as Aristotle with ether. They competed naked to encourage it. Modern sports proponents believe it explains everything. Have it? You are winning. Not have it? You are losing.

No one has observed it alone in its natural environment or or conducted an experiment to measure it. But its everywhere.

Someday, a Sports Einstein (or perhaps first Albert Michelson and Edward Morley) will come along and explain, in simple, rational terms, that you are substituting cause for effect and that team energy, as a force for causing outcomes on the field of play, is non-existent.

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Dud: Pickett. OK, maybe he was all right, but he was awful at Minnesota, I'm still pissed about it, and he needs to play better down the stretch.

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Team energy is like ether in classical physics. The Greeks believed in team energy just as Aristotle with ether. They competed naked to encourage it. Modern sports proponents believe it explains everything. Have it? You are winning. Not have it? You are losing.

my energy level is lower in the nude - perhaps that is because I have my arms lowered so as to cover up.

pbmax
01-07-2013, 12:44 PM
my energy level is lower in the nude - perhaps that is because I have my arms lowered so as to cover up.

Perhaps you should try the Ray Lewis flappy, slide dance to build up the energy? Its all about emotion.

Patler
01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
So was the Game Day prediction of Packer carnage the Patlerized version of the Whammy (tm) or an actual prediction?

Didn't predict carnage, just a loss. Several reasons:

- in two games within a short period of time, the Packers didn't show the slightest hint of having figured out a way to control Peterson for a game. I didn't think a few practices and 6 days would make a significant difference.

- I thought perhaps Ponder was starting to figure it out, at least for this season. He wouldn't have had to be great, just not awful. If he hadn't been awful in the first game, the Packers may have lost that one, too.

- the Vikings seem to have a capable kicker. Coupled with Peterson and a not awful Ponder, a lot of their possessions can result in scores of one sort or another.

- momentum going into the playoffs has seemed to mean a lot recently, and the Vikings were riding the crest of a wave of momentum. Beating Chicago, Houston convincingly and Green Bay most likely had them at a peak of confidence that can be hard to achieve.

That all changed when I heard they would be starting Webb, who hadn't thrown a pass all year. I figured a win for the Packers was likely, because Peterson by himself wouldn't be enough. The only question would be if Peterson could make a game out of it for a while or not.

Ballboy
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM

The blow TD call is weird. If MM thinks it's a TD, he's in a tough spot because of that rule about not being able to throw the flag in certain situations...as we saw last week. It was not signaled a TD, he thought it was and challenged, but could not challenge for a different reason - because it was a turnover. Which is automatically reviewed, and can't be challenged unless it can be, which happens when it's ruled no fumble but you think it is. :whaa: Pbmax explained this to me :cnf: I bet that know it all can even tell you what constitutes a catch in the end zone!! lol

I can't see them keeping that rule in place next season. A coach almost has to go ask the referee if he is allowed to challenge...

Was wondering myself the same thing during the game....can or can MM not challenge the play? Its really a fine line on what is a scoring play or not.....so if the refs signal a score, then and only then is it a scoring play? What if they got the call wrong, then it really should have been a scoring play and thus automatically reviewed?

Really, why cant the NFL just review every play somewhat like the BIG10 does? If a team wants to "hurry-up" and run another play, the other team can call a TO to stop it....then if the play does get changed during that TO, the TO is given back to the team. This crap with a red flag and all is really silly with all the technology we have.

pbmax
01-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Was wondering myself the same thing during the game....can or can MM not challenge the play? Its really a fine line on what is a scoring play or not.....so if the refs signal a score, then and only then is it a scoring play? What if they got the call wrong, then it really should have been a scoring play and thus automatically reviewed?

Really, why cant the NFL just review every play somewhat like the BIG10 does? If a team wants to "hurry-up" and run another play, the other team can call a TO to stop it....then if the play does get changed during that TO, the TO is given back to the team. This crap with a red flag and all is really silly with all the technology we have.

There is a large degree of certainty the rule will be changed in the offseason.

I might be able to tell you what a catch is in the end zone. However, there is no way I could tell you about catching a ball at the 2, diving into the end zone and then losing the ball going to the ground. The only change to reception rules that has mad any sense in the last five years is two feet in bounds for a catch. There used to be a push out rule (D player shoves WR OOB with only one foot down) that they eliminated because it was obviously a judgement call and did not get better in slow motion. That is an example of a rule that might seem to punish the offense ans help the D, but it makes it much easier on the refs. This is what control of the ball to the ground was supposed to clarify.

The TD challenge call is definitely an issue, though its manageable. If the refs on the field call it a score, regardless of what video might show, you cannot challenge by flag. The review is automatic. The one reason I can think of, after all this time, is that teams should not have a second bite at the apple. If review tells you its a score, then a team challenge might go after some other element of the play (eligible receiver, QB past LOS, etc.). Not sure those are all reviewable, but I could see a situation where you might get the play nullified by a second, more targeted challenge.

The affected team just has to wait for the call on the field to happen before deciding to throw the flag.

woodbuck27
01-07-2013, 04:04 PM
yeah, lets call hawk a dud because he was the only guy on the field that noticed that the entire secondary had just let a WR run right past them to the endzone

That was the strangest and possibly the most embarassing defensive lapse I saw all season. It looked like two men on the field Michael Jenkins and AJ Hawk.

At least AJ Hawk ran after Minny WR Michael Jenkins; hoping he would stumble I expect.

woodbuck27
01-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Offense STUDS

Another solid game from Aaron Rodgers. He was relaxed and having some fun in this rematch with Minny.

Aaron Rodgers Stat's: 23/33 and 274 yards and a TD and QB rating approx. 104. Solid.

DuJuan Harris. Welcome back screen pass ! Welcome back 'heart' from a RB !

Defense STUDS:

Sam Shields Seven Tackles (7) 2 assisted and a pick. He was excellent in run support and again demonstrated that he can tackle.

A nice game from C. J. Wilson with six (6) tackles 2 assisted. Welcome back !

Welcome ' back big time ' to Charles Woodson and six tackles, some pressure and lots of leadership.

Nice support at Safety with M. Burnett and MJ Jennings combining for 7 tackles, each with an assist.

Clay Matthews again a disruption going 3-1 in tackles and getting 2 SACKS and a forced fumble. Solid.

Others:

Eric Walden showed up in this game. He gave our side a SACK and overall played better.

BJ Raji and Ryan Pickett held the point well.

DUDS!?

Hey we won a huge game that gives us lots to build on. I keep hoping that AJ Hawk will show up before the end of the game. :wink:

That blown defensive lapse on Minny's Michael Jenkins was definitely one of those WTF moments. AJ Hawk looked lonely out there.

GO PACKERS !

ThunderDan
01-07-2013, 04:43 PM
That was the strangest and possibly the most embarassing defensive lapse I saw all season. It looked like two men on the field Michael Jenkins and AJ Hawk.

At least AJ Hawk ran after Minny WR Michael Jenkins; hoping he would stumble I expect.

Nah, letting Randy Moss run free in week 1 in the end zone was worse in my opinion.

Zool
01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
To me, it was Woodson. Williams goes and covers a WR on an out and Woodson just kinda hangs around by the LOS. Don't know where the hell the safties were though. Hawk had to be dropping back in a zone as there's no way he was supposed to cover a WR.

Agreed. Hawk was just playing a deep zone. Woodson had the slot and chased the out pattern. Maybe there was supposed to be deep help, but if they expect Cement Shoes Hawk to be that help, that's a poorly designed D.

woodbuck27
01-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Nah, letting Randy Moss run free in week 1 in the end zone was worse in my opinion.

I didn't see that game.

red
01-07-2013, 04:53 PM
that profootballfocus site said that EDS had a worse game then he or saturday had all season. so bad they say that they thing saturday could be put back in the lineup

so i guess EDS was a dud

Saturday to Return?

It became an interesting story when Jeff Saturday was named a Pro-Bowl player at around the time he was being benched in Green Bay for his performances this season. He has been dealing with injuries and ranks 28th in our C list, but didn’t have a game all season as bad as his replacement, Evan Dietrich-Smith, did in this one. Like Saturday, he was better as a pass protector, the more important facet for a Packers lineman, if not all linemen in the NFL at this stage, and he surrendered just a pair of pressures on 38 snaps pass protecting. The issue though, is that he was completely man-handled in the run game. His blocks yielded five defensive stops and what could, and should, have been two more but for missed tackles by Vikings players, and those are plays that put the offense behind the chains and in unfavorable situations. Last week Dietrich-Smith performed far better against the same group of players, so maybe the Packers will put this down to just a bad day at the office, but they might think about putting Saturday back into the lineup for their next game after they watch the tape.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/06/refo-vikings-packers-nfc-wild-card/

Joemailman
01-07-2013, 05:34 PM
You know a coverage is really blown when no one on here is sure who screwed up.

To hell with it. Let's blame Bush.

pbmax
01-07-2013, 05:36 PM
that profootballfocus site said that EDS had a worse game then he or saturday had all season. so bad they say that they thing saturday could be put back in the lineup

so i guess EDS was a dud

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/06/refo-vikings-packers-nfc-wild-card/

Both EDS and Lang had trouble with their DT Fred Evans. He was getting a huge jump off the line. Almost unbelievable that Rodgers didn't get him offside more than once.

red
01-07-2013, 05:44 PM
You know a coverage is really blown when no one on here is sure who screwed up.

To hell with it. Let's blame Bush.

works for me

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Both EDS and Lang had trouble with their DT Fred Evans. He was getting a huge jump off the line. Almost unbelievable that Rodgers didn't get him offside more than once.

I don't know though. It seems like we ran well before we got the 24-3 lead, and then Minnesota pretty much knew what was coming. I"m willing to give him and the run game a free pass on this one. We are running better, but we're still not a team that can run when the other team knows we are going to run. I'm just happy that we can run when the other team thinks we are going to pass. That's an improvement over the first half of the season.

run pMc
01-07-2013, 09:23 PM
How about
Studs: CMIII, Rodgers, DuJuan Harris, and Joe Webb?

pbmax
01-07-2013, 09:36 PM
I don't know though. It seems like we ran well before we got the 24-3 lead, and then Minnesota pretty much knew what was coming. I"m willing to give him and the run game a free pass on this one. We are running better, but we're still not a team that can run when the other team knows we are going to run. I'm just happy that we can run when the other team thinks we are going to pass. That's an improvement over the first half of the season.

That could be. I don't remember the context of the plays he blew up except Lang at goalline when Kuhn got stoned.