PDA

View Full Version : The Prodigal Son Returns Home

LegandofthePack15
01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Aaron Rodgers is returning home to San Francisco. I am sure hee returned before...but never on a stage this grand. I hope Rodgers wears flowers in his hair.

Will Rodgers do what the G.O.A.T did so many times and beat the 49ers in the playoffs? Or will Rodgers do what he did some many times earlier in his career and choke in the clutch?

Time will tell. Time always tell the tale of a forgotten tail.

I hope Rodgers plays like Randy Moss did when he was a purple cat. You know, a man on a mission; a man out to seek justice against all those teams that did him wrong by not drafting him.

I hope Colin Kaepernick does not steal our hearts.

49ers 48, Packers 3

http://youtu.be/dxB0OT17KsU

pbmax
01-07-2013, 11:54 AM
You think Phil Simms is the Greatest of All Time?

Tony Oday
01-07-2013, 11:55 AM
AR is a stat whore

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Or will Rodgers do what he did some many times earlier in his career and choke in the clutch?

he he! :lol:

http://2guysview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Told-you-not-to-poke-the-bear.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
01-07-2013, 12:11 PM

No silly, it's Craig Morton from the Cowboys.

LegandofthePack15
01-07-2013, 12:20 PM

You know, the G.O.A.T is undefeated against the 49ers in the playoffs. Jerry Rice fumbled, or so I heard.

This game is gonna be pressure-filled for the qb formerly known as E-Rod. Rodgers is playing against the team that bypassed him in the draft. He's playing against the team he used to cheer for as a kid. He's playing in the shadow of the G.O.A.T.

Will Rodgers rise up to the occasion?

pbmax
01-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I think you are giving too much credit to Phil. Jim Burt knocked Montana out of one of his wins versus the 49ers.

Patler
01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
He's playing in the shadow of the G.O.A.T.

Yup, the shadow of Joe Montana is still large in San Francisco. (and he is undefeated against the 49ers in the playoffs, also winless against them, but never mind the details.....)

denverYooper
01-07-2013, 12:30 PM
This parable from Luke is not the correct literary analogy to Rodgers's story. It might have been closer to your goat's without the rough dismount.

Maybe think more along the lines of Campbell for Rodgers.

Cheesehead Craig
01-07-2013, 12:32 PM
I think you are giving too much credit to Phil. Jim Burt knocked Montana out of one of his wins versus the 49ers.

He knocked the shit out of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAE66ZsEH8

LegandofthePack15
01-07-2013, 01:42 PM
This parable from Luke is not the correct literary analogy to Rodgers's story. It might have been closer to your goat's without the rough dismount.

Maybe think more along the lines of Campbell for Rodgers.

Scott Campbell?

LegandofthePack15
01-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Yup, the shadow of Joe Montana is still large in San Francisco. (and he is undefeated against the 49ers in the playoffs, also winless against them, but never mind the details.....)

I don't get all the hatred for the G.O.A.T. In a qb-driven league, the G.O.A.T made the Packer relevant again.

Sure, the G.O.A.T "retired" and then "unretired" a few times. But we all have retired after a tough loss at poker only to return again to the table the next weekend.

The G.O.A.T single-handily turned a moribund franchise into a Super Bowl contender. Thompson paid the G.O.A.T back by shipping him to Siberia; wouldn't even trade the G.O.A.T to Tampa. Disrespectful.

Did the Colts ship Peyton Manning to Siberia?

woodbuck27
01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
You know, the G.O.A.T is undefeated against the 49ers in the playoffs. Jerry Rice fumbled, or so I heard.

This game is gonna be pressure-filled for the qb formerly known as E-Rod. Rodgers is playing against the team that bypassed him in the draft. He's playing against the team he used to cheer for as a kid. He's playing in the shadow of the G.O.A.T.

Will Rodgers rise up to the occasion?

The so called 'experts' are claiming that Aaron Rodgers is sensative and has 'a chip on his shoulder'.

If that's a fact. That doesn't bode well for the 49ers.

There's pressure too on the 49ers (still) to justify their QB change.

I'm not sure what we lost to injury Vs Minny but I believe we took alot out of that game to build on. Wil defeat the 49ers Sat. evening.

Things seem good to me in Packer Nation.

GO PACKERS !

ThunderDan
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
I don't get all the hatred for the G.O.A.T. In a qb-driven league, the G.O.A.T made the Packer relevant again.

Sure, the G.O.A.T "retired" and then "unretired" a few times. But we all have retired after a tough loss at poker only to return again to the table the next weekend. The G.O.A.T single-handily turned a moribund franchise into a Super Bowl contender. Thompson paid the G.O.A.T back by shipping him to Siberia; wouldn't even trade the G.O.A.T to Tampa. Disrespectful.

If I had a $14,000,000 per year contract to play poker I wouldn't quit after a tough loss. Come to think of it, neither did BF (quit after a tough loss).

Patler
01-07-2013, 02:16 PM

Sure, the G.O.A.T "retired" and then "unretired" a few times. But we all have retired after a tough loss at poker only to return again to the table the next weekend.

The G.O.A.T single-handily turned a moribund franchise into a Super Bowl contender. Thompson paid the G.O.A.T back by shipping him to Siberia; wouldn't even trade the G.O.A.T to Tampa. Disrespectful.

Who said I hate Favre, (assuming that his who you mean by the G.O.A.T)? I just happen to believe (all kidding aside) that Montana was a better QB.

Beside, no one "single- handily" turned around the Packer franchise. If I were to try to identify one person, it would be Bob Harlan, who had the good sense to: put football people in control of the football operation; hire Ron Wolf and let him do his thing; bring all home games to GB, and make it work with an irate Milwaukee fan base; preserve the long term needs of the franchise with the stadium renovation; recognize that he had put Mike Sherman in over his head; find Ted Thompson to usher in a new era of competitiveness; realize a mistake was brewing with John Jones' planned take over and find a capable replacement for himself in Mark Murphy. Lots of tough decisions, and the courage to admit mistakes and correct them. He fixed the problems of the past, built a solid present and established a foundation for the future.

Favre? White? Any of the players? All they did was play football.

woodbuck27
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
If I had a $14,000,000 per year to play poker I wouldn't quit after a tough loss. Come to think of it, neither did BF (quit after a tough loss).

Then add another 40% due to advertising endorsements. It certainly was incentive enough to play Vs retire.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 02:20 PM
OK Im gonna take my shot vs P-Money here.

I think Legand of the Tank meant from a national attention perspective. Obviously all the Harlan stuff is totally correct but to deny that Favre was not a media darling and drew huge attention to the Packers would be a lie. This comes from someone who became a fan in the early 90s due to that attention. Plus we have the same logo. :lol:

Deputy Nutz
01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
He knocked the shit out of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAE66ZsEH8

I guess I am not old enough to remember that hit, but I do remember the hit on Montana from Marshall in the NFC championship game that knocked Montana out for year.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 02:37 PM
I guess I am not old enough to remember that hit, but I do remember the hit on Montana from Marshall in the NFC championship game that knocked Montana out for year.
The prodigal son HAS returned!!!

How you feeling about this game Nutty? Are us "Packer fan" gonna get our shit pushed in?

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
49ers 48, Packers 3After someone kicks you in the balls for that stupid shit hopefully the kick you again for that shitty video you posted. You still getting lit?

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 02:40 PM
I guess I am not old enough to remember that hit, but I do remember the hit on Montana from Marshall in the NFC championship game that knocked Montana out of San Francisco. forever.

FIFY

woodbuck27
01-07-2013, 02:42 PM

Hi Deputy. Good to see you.

How will we do in San Fran this Saturday evening?

Patler
01-07-2013, 02:58 PM
OK Im gonna take my shot vs P-Money here.

I think Legand of the Tank meant from a national attention perspective. Obviously all the Harlan stuff is totally correct but to deny that Favre was not a media darling and drew huge attention to the Packers would be a lie. This comes from someone who became a fan in the early 90s due to that attention. Plus we have the same logo. :lol:

I don't deny the effect Favre had; but in many ways it was continuing and building on attention that was first started by Don Majkowski. People forget what a media darling the Majik Man was, and that the play fostering the slogans to wit: "After review, the ruling on the field is......THE BEARS STILL SUCK" was a Don Majkowski play, not a Brett Favre play.

As one of the writers wrote before Majkowski's induction into the Packer HOF, Majkowski was Brett Favre before Brett Favre. Majkowski ran and passed the Packers onto the sports reports. He made people think about the Packers again. He couldn't keep it going due to injuries. Majkowski had made the Packers relevant, Favre made them a consistent contender.

denverYooper
01-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Ahhh, Majik and the Miracles.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 03:24 PM
From everything I have read it does sound like Majkowski could have been the next big thing. But I'm talking about national relevance so I would have to say the Favre led Packers making the playoffs in 1993 had far more more impact outside of WI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbwiuz9utmI

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Ahhh, Majik and the Miracles.

How pathetically sad was it when the prodigal son Majik returned with the Loins to battle the Favre-led dominating Packers in 1996? Very sad. No fatted calf killed, no steak, no burger, no nothing.

LegandofthePack15
01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
After someone kicks you in the balls for that stupid shit hopefully the kick you again for that shitty video you posted. You still getting lit?

I don't wanna jinx anything but see first page of Packer-Viking game day thread. :-D

LegandofthePack15
01-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Who said I hate Favre, (assuming that his who you mean by the G.O.A.T)? I just happen to believe (all kidding aside) that Montana was a better QB.

Beside, no one "single- handily" turned around the Packer franchise. If I were to try to identify one person, it would be Bob Harlan, who had the good sense to: put football people in control of the football operation; hire Ron Wolf and let him do his thing; bring all home games to GB, and make it work with an irate Milwaukee fan base; preserve the long term needs of the franchise with the stadium renovation; recognize that he had put Mike Sherman in over his head; find Ted Thompson to usher in a new era of competitiveness; realize a mistake was brewing with John Jones' planned take over and find a capable replacement for himself in Mark Murphy. Lots of tough decisions, and the courage to admit mistakes and correct them. He fixed the problems of the past, built a solid present and established a foundation for the future.

The NFL is still a qb-driven league. Without a good/great qb, you're team isn't going to win many games. The G.O.A.T was, well, great.

Jimx29
01-07-2013, 03:58 PM
any conversation like this that does not mention Rick Mirer is invalid

LegandofthePack15
01-07-2013, 04:09 PM
I don't deny the effect Favre had; but in many ways it was continuing and building on attention that was first started by Don Majkowski. People forget what a media darling the Majik Man was, and that the play fostering the slogans to wit: "After review, the ruling on the field is......THE BEARS STILL SUCK" was a Don Majkowski play, not a Brett Favre play.

As one of the writers wrote before Majkowski's induction into the Packer HOF, Majkowski was Brett Favre before Brett Favre. Majkowski ran and passed the Packers onto the sports reports. He made people think about the Packers again. He couldn't keep it going due to injuries. Majkowski had made the Packers relevant, Favre made them a consistent contender.

Majik? Majik!

Didn't he fumble a lot? I remember in elementary school someone would fumble the ball during recess and everyone would be calling the kid who fumbled the ball "Majik."

Majik did have a nice mullet, though. Other than that, he was a pretty average qb.

Don't wish injuries to anyone but 9-20-92 was the date I became a die-hard Pack fan.

denverYooper
01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Majik? Majik!

Didn't he fumble a lot? I remember in elementary school someone would fumble the ball during recess and everyone would be calling the kid who fumbled the ball "Majik."

Majik did have a nice mullet, though. Other than that, he was a pretty average qb.

Don't wish injuries to anyone but 9-20-92 was the date I became a die-hard Pack fan.

You haven't lived then. I'm only 5 years older than you and dyed in the wool. My earliest memories of watching games were at the end of the Dickey era.

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 04:26 PM
You haven't lived then. I'm only 5 years older than you and dyed in the wool. My earliest memories of watching games were at the end of the Dickey era.

Noob. :grin:I remember seeing the Dan Devine show on my parents crappy black and white tv.

LegandofthePack15
01-07-2013, 04:30 PM

To be honest with you, I don't remember much about Majik other than he fumbling the ball against, I think, the Lions. And the mullet. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
01-07-2013, 04:52 PM
I don't wanna jinx anything but see first page of Packer-Viking game day thread. :-D

Some here just don't appreciate your humour man.

pbmax
01-07-2013, 05:31 PM

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAABWqhNvtg&feature=player_embedded

In neither hit, does the QB's head get struck. If the NFL stopped worrying about Marshall style helmet to shoulder blades (or Perry helmet to chest), I think coaches could give them a lower target.

pbmax
01-07-2013, 05:32 PM
any conversation like this that does not mention Rick Mirer is invalid

I thought he was Golden after his rookie year and Parcells had made a mistake with Bledsoe. :roll:

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Some here just don't appreciate your humour man.Actually he is the dumbass for not playing along with what I said and you have no sense of humor if you dont think him getting kicked in the nuts twice is hilarious. :-D

Joemailman
01-07-2013, 06:07 PM
The Packers are a 3 point underdog. The last time the Packers were an underdog in a playoff game:

Packers 48
Falcons 21

Aaron Rodgers: 31-36, 366, 3 TD, 0 INT, 136.8 passer rating
Matty Ice: 20-29, 186, 1 TD, 2 INT, 69.0 passer rating

Just sayin'. 8-)

Pugger
01-07-2013, 06:54 PM

Looks like someone has been Patlerized.

Pugger
01-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Noob. :grin:I remember seeing the Dan Devine show on my parents crappy black and white tv.

Hell, I remember the Phil Bengston era.

#4 was not the GOAT. He can't be if he wasn't the best QB in the history of the franchise - and I ain't talking about ARod or Arnie Herber.

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 07:09 PM

#4 was not the GOAT. He can't be if he wasn't the best QB in the history of the franchise - and I ain't talking about ARod or Arnie Herber.

Dickey to Lofton

Herber to Hutson

Rodgers to Nelson

Favre to Sharpe

Those are my top four bomb duos in Packer history, in order

mission
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
This could have been a good thread

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 08:29 PM

I tip my hat to you.

And I concur, although I only remember him as the coach and not the player.

Tony Oday
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Reggie White turned GB to a place to go from Siberia.

pbmax
01-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Reggie White turned GB to a place to go from Siberia.

or from Philadelphia. :D

Patler
01-07-2013, 08:46 PM

Sigh....... and I remember the Lombardi years. :sad:
Not on TV though, because we didn't get the Packer games on TV, except the Thanksgiving game against the Lions every year, and the championship game. Had to listen on the radio.

Patler
01-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Dickey to Lofton

Herber to Hutson

Rodgers to Nelson

Favre to Sharpe

Those are my top four bomb duos in Packer history, in order

Lofton, wow, what a long ball threat.
22.4 yards/reception in '83.
22.0 yards/reception in '84.

Don't forget Starr to Carroll Dale. They went for +20 yards/reception a few years, too.

run pMc
01-07-2013, 09:13 PM
The G.O.A.T single-handily turned a moribund franchise into a Super Bowl contender.

Ron Wolf?
Surely you don't mean Holmgren or Reggie White...

denverYooper
01-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Ron Wolf?
Surely you don't mean Holmgren or Reggie White...

Frankie Bag O'Donuts

pbmax
01-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Frankie Bag O'Donuts

Plan B free agency. Those were the restraint of trade days. :lol:

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Not on TV though, because we didn't get the Packer games on TV, except the Thanksgiving game against the Lions every year, and the championship game. Had to listen on the radio.

That's pretty cool, Boss.

The Shadow
01-07-2013, 10:55 PM

I started with the Packers in 1961.

Starr.....Dowler.....Touchdown!
Now THAT was radio!!!!

Patler
01-07-2013, 11:06 PM
That's pretty cool, Boss.

Ya, I guess it is. It's just hard to believe that those days were 50 years ago. I still see Starr, Taylor, Hornung, Kramer and all the others as the young men they were then, not the old geezers (like me) that they are today.

Patler
01-07-2013, 11:09 PM
I started with the Packers in 1961.

Starr.....Dowler.....Touchdown!
Now THAT was radio!!!!

Yup, often not a lot of words; and a lot less emotional than today. Almost more like a news report that went on for a few hours.

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Patler and Shadow,

Were you all aware that what you were witness to was Football History in the making?

Patler
01-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Patler and Shadow,

Were you all aware that what you were witness to was Football History in the making?

In the early '60s, it was exciting just to have the best team in the league, and it wasn't really anything more than that. We just hoped it could continue. By the time Lombardi stepped down, it was easy to see that we had just experienced a special time, with a special coach and special players who refused to lose in critical situations.

I should add that the three in a row was a very special feeling.

Fritz
01-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Yup, often not a lot of words; and a lot less emotional than today. Almost more like a news report that went on for a few hours.

I recall that style of announcing, and much prefer it to the non-stop preening pseudo-macho simple-minded nattering that passes for announcing today.

mraynrand
01-08-2013, 09:08 AM
In the early '60s, it was exciting just to have the best team in the league, and it wasn't really anything more than that. We just hoped it could continue. By the time Lombardi stepped down, it was easy to see that we had just experienced a special time, with a special coach and special players who refused to lose in critical situations.

I should add that the three in a row was a very special feeling.

Did you throw a shoe at the TV when Bednarik wouldn't get his lard ass offa Jimmy Taylor?

Pugger
01-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Did any of you more mature Rats survive the Ice Bowl?

mraynrand
01-08-2013, 09:14 AM

I watched it from the warm comfort of my crib

wootah
01-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Holy cow, I feel like one of the hobbits during the gathering of the ents in this thread. I discovered the NFL and the Packers during a quiet day at work in 2005. We drafted AJ Hawk a couple weeks later...

Pugger
01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
My parents wouldn't let me go but my hubby went with his dad. We think my hubby damaged the nerves in his feet that day. They get cold real easy even down here :!: and often they have a tingly feeling. Back then nobody had the warm clothing and foot ware we have now

Patler
01-08-2013, 10:47 AM

I watched it from the comfort of my living room couch, marveling at how much WARMER it was in Green Bay than it was in REAL northern Wisconsin! As I recall, we had early morning temperatures that day of around -30, and I wondered if the game would even be played. Luckily, the temperature wasn't so bad in Green Bay!!

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Entmoot.

Treebeard:
“My name is growing all the time, and I’ve lived a very long, long time; so my name is like a story. Real names tell you the story of the things they belong to in my language, in the Old Entish as you might say. It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time to say anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to.”

Bart Starr: "It takes me about a week and a half to really analyze a game - play by play."

The Shadow
01-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Watched it on tv. The final drive to the Starr winning sneak was the best, grittiest offensive series I have yet seen.

Patler
01-08-2013, 11:40 AM
The final drive to the Starr winning sneak was the best, grittiest offensive series I have yet seen.

It was, and yet you absolutely KNEW they would pull it off, didn't you? I know I did. I never really had much doubt, because that is exactly what they always seemed to do. To have come up short would have been shocking. It was classic Starr, Lombardi, Packers.

TravisWilliams23
01-08-2013, 02:16 PM
The hitting in that game was unbelievable. I still remember Chuck Mercein with those two HUGH plays to get the ball to the 1 and then almost not getting the final yard for 3 in a row. That's what legends are all about.

Joemailman
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
The hitting in that game was unbelievable. I still remember Chuck Mercein with those two HUGH plays to get the ball to the 1 and then almost not getting the final yard for 3 in a row. That's what legends are all about.

For the record, Mercein got the ball down to the 3. Donny Anderson ran for 2 yards on 2nd and 2 down to the 1 for a 1st down, and then was stuffed on 2 consecutive plays.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/assets/pdf/U0953401229.PDF

Deputy Nutz
01-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Hi Deputy. Good to see you.

How will we do in San Fran this Saturday evening?

I think the score is going to be 24-20. I just don't know for what team.

woodbuck27
01-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Actually he is the dumbass for not playing along with what I said and you have no sense of humor if you dont think him getting kicked in the nuts twice is hilarious. :-D

Nothing like a good kick in the nuts to turn your Jules into Ralphs.

woodbuck27
01-08-2013, 06:40 PM

I watched that game on TV. My face was about one foot from the TV screen on the huge QB sneak by Bart Starr. That was one of the most awesomely exciting moments to be a sports fan. The tension buildup before that play was intense. That TOUCHDOWN ... an enormous release.

PACKERS FOREVER !

woodbuck27
01-08-2013, 06:44 PM

I can't get a real feel for this game either.

The Packers must play like they really want to win this game because if we win it's going to be another Super Bowl appearance for the Packers.

GO PACK GO !

Fritz
01-09-2013, 06:18 AM
For the record, Mercein got the ball down to the 3. Donny Anderson ran for 2 yards on 2nd and 2 down to the 1 for a 1st down, and then was stuffed on 2 consecutive plays.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/assets/pdf/U0953401229.PDF

If we'd had as much social media and media scrutiny as we do today....

Donny Anderson, a failed first round pick. What the hell was Lombardi thinking? If he wanted a running back that bad, why didn't he package some picks and trade up for that Sayers kid? Or for that matter, trade down and pick Mercein - Christ, you ended up with him anyway, after the Giants drafted him in the third.

Or hell, how about giving Starr some weapons, for Chrissakes. There was that Biletnikoff guy from Florida State you coulda had in the third round - but no, Lombardi has to take that loser tight end, Allen Brown. What's he ever done, anyway?

I'm telling you, it never works to have the coach be the personnel guy, too. They oughta strip Lombardi of the personnel stuff. He can't draft for dick.

Okay, back to the present: On a side note, the Lions drafted Biletnikoff in the third round. The Lions! They sucked back then, and they suck now.

pbmax
01-09-2013, 09:15 AM
If we'd had as much social media and media scrutiny as we do today....

Donny Anderson, a failed first round pick. What the hell was Lombardi thinking? If he wanted a running back that bad, why didn't he package some picks and trade up for that Sayers kid? Or for that matter, trade down and pick Mercein - Christ, you ended up with him anyway, after the Giants drafted him in the third.

Or hell, how about giving Starr some weapons, for Chrissakes. There was that Biletnikoff guy from Florida State you coulda had in the third round - but no, Lombardi has to take that loser tight end, Allen Brown. What's he ever done, anyway?

I'm telling you, it never works to have the coach be the personnel guy, too. They oughta strip Lombardi of the personnel stuff. He can't draft for dick.

Okay, back to the present: On a side note, the Lions drafted Biletnikoff in the third round. The Lions! They sucked back then, and they suck now.

Perfect post Fritz. And of course the Lions drafted a WR. Its what they do. Probably took two more the following year.

George Cumby
01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I watched it from the warm comfort of my crib

I watched it through my Mom's navel.

MJZiggy
01-09-2013, 07:33 PM
I watched it through my Mom's navel.

I wasn't thought of yet.

MadtownPacker
01-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Nuttybutty!! The Football Gods have spoken through him!

mraynrand
01-09-2013, 07:50 PM

the winning team

run pMc
01-10-2013, 11:33 AM
I wasn't thought of yet.
I started watching and became a fan during the Starr as coach years. Those Sunday afternoons were not always happy, although I recall the 55-14 beatdown of Tampa in 1983 clearly and fondly.