PDA

View Full Version : If I was a 49ers fan....

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 02:48 PM
I would be very worried about this weekend. In fact the first one I talked to about Saturday's game immediately said he has a bad feeling about this one. In fact almost all the Miners fans I talked to last week where saying vikings would win but it seemed like that is what they where hoping for so that SF could avoid the Packers. I will report my interactions during the week in this thread but right now confidence levels are low when it comes to the 49ers fans. Maybe that mood will even carry on to the field Saturday night if the G&G goes up early.

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Not too many recent great memories for 69ers (h/t Freakout) concerning Packers. Took 22 years to win in GB and they always lose in the Bay area in the playoffs, not counting cheating refs. Maybe the replacement refs are still available for the game?

Cheesehead Craig
01-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I will report my interactions during the week in this thread.

So the question is, what will be the greater number: the number of 49er fans who think they will lose or number of times you get asked for your green card?

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 03:09 PM
So the question is, what will be the greater number: the number of 49er fans who think they will lose or number of times you get asked for your green card?
Choice 1. No green card is needed when you live in Mexifornia. :lol:

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 03:10 PM
You going to the game, Mad?

Patler
01-07-2013, 03:13 PM
.... Mexifornia. :lol:

Hadn't heard that one. I like it!

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 03:32 PM
You going to the game, Mad?
I had thought about it but man shit has gotten ugly there from what I hear. Last time I went to a regular season game there was in 2006 and it was a good time. Now I hear lots of SF fans even saying they dont like how bad it has gotten. Even compared it to going to a Oakland game. Pretty much a bunch of young thugs who have never experienced a contending 49ers squad and dont know how to handle success. I dont feel like paying $500-$1000 just to get into a fight. You going?

Fosco33
01-07-2013, 03:32 PM
I would be very worried about this weekend. In fact the first one I talked to about Saturday's game immediately said he has a bad feeling about this one. In fact almost all the Miners fans I talked to last week where saying vikings would win but it seemed like that is what they where hoping for so that SF could avoid the Packers. I will report my interactions during the week in this thread but right now confidence levels are low when it comes to the 49ers fans. Maybe that mood will even carry on to the field Saturday night if the G&G goes up early.

I hate Niners fans. Bunch of prissy little bitches - and I've been there enough times (and lived in the area) to say that without flinching.

They've got a few reasons to be worried:
1. Arod returning home - to the team that passed him up - that will be a big mental part for him
2. Weather is better for Pack (rather than in Lambeau)
3. Tough to beat a team 2 Xs in a year when evenly matched
4. We're 4-1 vs. them in the playoffs (and the loss should have an *)
5. Pack will be the underdogs - and they love playing the underdog on the road...

It'll be close game no matter what. Tough to say who will win - but Packers have a better than 50/50 shot in my opinion.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Hadn't heard that one. I like it!Oh yeah? How about Calexico (note - that one is a real city)?

Fosco33
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
I had thought about it but man shit has gotten ugly there from what I hear. Last time I went to a regular season game there was in 2006 and it was a good time. Now I hear lots of SF fans even saying they dont like how bad it has gotten. Even compared it to going to a Oakland game. Pretty much a bunch of young thugs who have never experienced a contending 49ers squad and dont know how to handle success. I dont feel like paying $500-$1000 just to get into a fight. You going?

They were a lot of talk in '02 and '06 too. Granted, I'm bigger than most of them and have a crazy staredown... but I'm with you. Stupid punk kids. Sorta like going to a Dodger game has become.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 03:36 PM
2. Weather is better for Pack (rather than in Lambeau)Many here feel that has no effect but I too agree that the Pack passing game will perform better in SF. Plus it doesn't sound like it will rain this weekend.

woodbuck27
01-07-2013, 03:39 PM

That humiliating loss in Seattle took the sails out of them.

denverYooper
01-07-2013, 03:40 PM
I hate Niners fans. Bunch of prissy little bitches - and I've been there enough times (and lived in the area) to say that without flinching.

They've got a few reasons to be worried:
1. Arod returning home - to the team that passed him up - that will be a big mental part for him
2. Weather is better for Pack (rather than in Lambeau)
3. Tough to beat a team 2 Xs in a year when evenly matched
4. We're 4-1 vs. them in the playoffs (and the loss should have an *)
5. Pack will be the underdogs - and they love playing the underdog on the road...

It'll be close game no matter what. Tough to say who will win - but Packers have a better than 50/50 shot in my opinion.

Whoa, >50%? I want to believe it but can't push myself over 50/50 yet :)

The Packers make for a very dangerous road dog because everyone knows that Rodgers and the offense can blow up on anybody. As a fan, this is just about the best position to be in -- a very winnable game as the underdog.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 03:41 PM
They were a lot of talk in '02 and '06 too. Granted, I'm bigger than most of them and have a crazy staredown... but I'm with you. Stupid punk kids. Sorta like going to a Dodger game has become.There was trash talk but it was the fun back and forth kind. The stories I hear now are not good natured trash talking. More like "get the fuck out of here or we will beat your ass outside the stadium". When we went in 2006 it was nothing like that. You might be big and a Wop but they will be many cuz lil bitches like that never step up alone.

woodbuck27
01-07-2013, 03:56 PM
If I was a San Francisco 49ers fan I would realize that the game with the Green Bay Packers will be a 'true' battle for the 'W'.

GO PACKERS !

Packers4Glory
01-07-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't like how our line matches up w/ their pass rush at all. Neither of our tackles can hold up so MM had better have the short passing attack ready to go.

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 04:08 PM

I was thinking about it but shit, I didn't know it was that bad. If you are seriously not going b/c potential for violence, little 150# me is seriously concerned.....

Dude, I was at the monday night game in Oakland right after Favre's Dad died and I felt ok. Is it really that gnarly?

red
01-07-2013, 05:51 PM
i'm surprised that any guys in san fran can take themselves away from their boyfriends anuses long enough to attend a 49ers game

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 05:58 PM
i'm surprised that any guys in san fran can take themselves away from their boyfriends anuses long enough to attend a 49ers game

You ever been beat up by a bull-queer? It sucks..... or so I've heard.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 06:10 PM
I was thinking about it but shit, I didn't know it was that bad. If you are seriously not going b/c potential for violence, little 150# me is seriously concerned.....

Dude, I was at the monday night game in Oakland right after Favre's Dad died and I felt ok. Is it really that gnarly?
I'm not worried about getting killed man, just getting tossed from a game I paid big bucks to attend. If you are gonna go and keep your trap shut Im sure you wont have problems. I can't though and besides what fucking fun is that.

Most raiders fans are actually very close to Packers fans as far as team loyalty and history/tradition. Based on a few conversations with raiders fans who attended that game I believe the circumstances altered their behavior dramatically. They all spoke like they where privileged to see it.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Maybe that was the wine and cheese crowd from back in the days. Today's crowd is filled with shaved-head thugs who wear the red niners gear to represent their football team and gang. So of course they are gonna act like chumps at the stadium. Lets put it like this, they where stupid enough to get the yearly Battle of the Bay preseason game (OAK vs SF) cancelled.

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm not worried about getting killed man, just getting tossed from a game I paid big bucks to attend. If you are gonna go and keep your trap shut Im sure you wont have problems. I can't though and besides what fucking fun is that.

Most raiders fans are actually very close to Packers fans as far as team loyalty and history/tradition. Based on a few conversations with raiders fans who attended that game I believe the circumstances altered their behavior dramatically. They all spoke like they where privileged to see it.

We had some old-school guys sitting right behind us and they were cool to talk to. Some dudes down the row were eye-fucking us when I'd jump up and holler every time a receiver would come down with the ball and there was a fight in the next section over. We weren't sporting colors though. Still thinking about it.....

Pugger
01-07-2013, 06:35 PM

OMG!!! :lol:

Freak Out
01-07-2013, 06:57 PM
I have attended a few games at the Stick....even a Monday nighter years ago (after the game I flew to Seattle and threw down at the WTO riots. :) ) I have never had any problems and have always sat in a section of season ticket holders. Now that said I've witnessed a few fights after the game...but it was always some drunk fuckers being drunk fuckers. I was treated way worse in San Diego.

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 07:16 PM
I have attended a few games at the Stick....even a Monday nighter years ago (after the game I flew to Seattle and threw down at the WTO riots. :) ) I have never had any problems and have always sat in a section of season ticket holders. Now that said I've witnessed a few fights after the game...but it was always some drunk fuckers being drunk fuckers. I was treated way worse in San Diego.

Tailgating there was a lame and pussified a I've ever seen it (wine, cheese, lobster - people actually brought picnic baskets!); and the upper deck seat are absolutely awful. After the game, I saw Dwight Clark swear at a 10 year old, while he was doing color commentary for the locals. Idiot. Most awesome tailgating: Lambeau of course, followed by County Stadium, the Pit in Cleveland, Buffalo (where they break up pallets and burn them in a pile right on the gravel lot; some guy made mixed drinks with a blender/weed whacker device), and Philly (very nasty place, but my wife beat the crap out of the Philly mascot, ala Ace Ventura). Worst tailgating: Cincinnatti, Minnesota, and the absolute worst: Indianapolis (I've had better tailgate atmosphere in my garage).

red
01-07-2013, 07:16 PM

must have been a bear, or maybe a power bottom

mraynrand
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM

wait, I thought Harlan lived in Madison...

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 07:28 PM
I have attended a few games at the Stick....even a Monday nighter years ago (after the game I flew to Seattle and threw down at the WTO riots. :) ) I have never had any problems and have always sat in a section of season ticket holders. Now that said I've witnessed a few fights after the game...but it was always some drunk fuckers being drunk fuckers. I was treated way worse in San Diego.That's what you have to do or sit with the lowlife shits.

Freak Out
01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
That's what you have to do or sit with the lowlife shits.

Yes....the only time I didn't get to use my friends season tickets I was surrounded by Brown...but they were civil for the most part...well..at least no punches were thrown.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Yes....the only time I didn't get to use my friends season tickets I was surrounded by Brown...but they were civil for the most part...well..at least no punches were thrown.You are a crazy looking fucker. They probably where worried you had a grenade on you.

Guiness
01-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Tailgating there was a lame and pussified a I've ever seen it (wine, cheese, lobster - people actually brought picnic baskets!); and the upper deck seat are absolutely awful. After the game, I saw Dwight Clark swear at a 10 year old, while he was doing color commentary for the locals. Idiot. Most awesome tailgating: Lambeau of course, followed by County Stadium, the Pit in Cleveland, Buffalo (where they break up pallets and burn them in a pile right on the gravel lot; some guy made mixed drinks with a blender/weed whacker device), and Philly (very nasty place, but my wife beat the crap out of the Philly mascot, ala Ace Ventura). Worst tailgating: Cincinnatti, Minnesota, and the absolute worst: Indianapolis (I've had better tailgate atmosphere in my garage).

+1 to the Buffalo tailgating. Good time there. Ironically, the worst is at the Bills 'home away from home', Toronto.

Tailgating just does not happen the way you know it there. Corporate sponsored beer tents, concerts, no open fires and no BYOB. Really, really bad.

Freak Out
01-07-2013, 07:51 PM
I WAS armed.

denverYooper
01-07-2013, 10:06 PM
I WAS armed.

Isn't everybody in Alaska?

denverYooper
01-07-2013, 10:07 PM

Funny enough, I was telling my wife about bears today.

George Cumby
01-07-2013, 10:54 PM

I have learned a new term today. I just don't know if I'll be able to incorporate that into my day-to-day vernacular........

red
01-07-2013, 11:20 PM
I have learned a new term today. I just don't know if I'll be able to incorporate that into my day-to-day vernacular........

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/xe35y2/it-s-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-bears-and-twinks

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Does anyone on PR even live in the Green Bay area, let alone Wisconsin? It would actually make a lot of sense to me if few PRs did live in the dairy country.

ThunderDan
01-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Does anyone on PR even live in the Green Bay area, let alone Wisconsin? It would actually make a lot of sense to me if few PRs did live in the dairy country.

Yes, Madison is about 150 miles from Green Bay and is in Wisconsin.

Upnorth
01-08-2013, 09:19 AM
I don't like how our line matches up w/ their pass rush at all. Neither of our tackles can hold up so MM had better have the short passing attack ready to go.

If Smith is still injured to the point it affects his play then I like the match up. If he is not affected I hope Arod has track shoes and a quick release.

Joemailman
01-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Wausau is 90 miles west of Green Bay.

pbmax
01-08-2013, 09:26 AM
I could reach Green Bay in 2.5 hours as long as it's not Game Day or Pulaski Polka Days.

And if I can avoid the speed trap in Rosendale.

Teamcheez1
01-08-2013, 09:30 AM
If Smith is still injured to the point it affects his play then I like the match up. If he is not affected I hope Arod has track shoes and a quick release.

This is a key part of the game that is unknown at this point in time. While he has been out of the line-up, the defense has been mediocre. He is the engine that drives the defense, much like Clay is for us.

red
01-08-2013, 09:37 AM

2 hours north, and yes green aby is the closest "big city"

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 09:37 AM
I could reach Green Bay in 2.5 hours as long as it not Game Day or Pulaski Polka Days.

Fab! :tup: And :tup: to all Wisconsinans/Wisconsinites dere & here on PR!

We need more local members to post on PR [sorry that I'm not one!].

Q: Cheeseheads, obviously but is it Wisconsinans or Wisconsinites?

Pugger
01-08-2013, 10:08 AM

I was born and raised in Green Bay along with my hubby but we moved down here after he retired. I'm an Academy girl and my hubby graduated from GB East. We didn't know each other back then tho. I met him at the Bar on Lime Kiln Rd on St. Patrick's day in 1981. The luck of Irish I say! ;-)

Pugger
01-08-2013, 10:11 AM
This is a key part of the game that is unknown at this point in time. While he has been out of the line-up, the defense has been mediocre. He is the engine that drives the defense, much like Clay is for us.

Even if he plays he may not be as effective as he was prior to week 15.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/1/3/3832122/justin-smith-injury-toradol-triceps-tear

Pugger
01-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Fab! :tup: And :tup: to all Wisconsinans/Wisconsinites dere & here on PR!

We need more local members to post on PR [sorry that I'm not one!].

Q: Cheeseheads, obviously but is it Wisconsinans or Wisconsinites?

I always heard Wisconsinites.

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 10:19 AM
I was born and raised in Green Bay along with my hubby but we moved down here after he retired. I'm an Academy girl and my hubby graduated from GB East. We didn't know each other back then tho. I met him at the Bar on Lime Kiln Rd on St. Patrick's day in 1981. The luck of Irish I say! ;-)

:tup: yet not very Irish not to marry [hubby notion]. :smile:

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 10:21 AM
I always heard Wisconsinites.

Thought so; but one would say 'Wisconsinan forests/hills etc.!? N'est pas?

Patler
01-08-2013, 10:30 AM

I think the guy basically will be playing one-armed. I read one article that stated he will have to wear a very cumbersome brace, and it made it sound as if they aren't even sure he will be able to play with it due to restrictions in arm movement.

I wouldn't be surprised if he plays very little, or even is a game day inactive in spite of what they are saying now.

denverYooper
01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
I think the guy basically will be playing one-armed. I read one article that stated he will have to wear a very cumbersome brace, and it made it sound as if they aren't even sure he will be able to play with it due to restrictions in arm movement.

I wouldn't be surprised if he plays very little, or even is a game day inactive in spite of what they are saying now.

Their defense, and Seattle's, have been charmed this year (+ last year for the 9ers) wrt injuries. Very few starter games lost on both units. It'll be very interesting to see how each looks in the playoffs. They'll still be good, I'm sure, but maybe not elite.

red
01-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Early word is that the field saturday is in just as bad of shape as fed ex field was sunday

So now, not only do we have to worry about winning, but we also have to worry about avoiding serious injuries due to shoddy field conditions

denverYooper
01-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Early word is that the field saturday is in just as bad of shape as fed ex field was sunday

So now, not only do we have to worry about winning, but we also have to worry about avoiding serious injuries due to shoddy field conditions

Especially given the questionable decisions that the equipment staff seems to have come out with regarding shoes.

I would not be surprised if this were a bit of gamesmanship on SF's part. They might like their chances better on a shitty field with Gore and their running game. Good thing Green Bay plays on Soldier field every year, so they know what fieldgaming looks like.

MadtownPacker
01-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Ok talked to a few miners fans and confidence levels are low!!

Upnorth
01-08-2013, 03:39 PM

So No Ponder with an arm injury, possibly no Smith with an arm injury. When we make it to the SB does the NE / Den QB's arm fall off then?

Guiness
01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
So No Ponder with an arm injury, possibly no Smith with an arm injury. When we make it to the SB does the NE / Den QB's arm fall off then?

Nah, Manning's head will just detach from his body and go rolling across the field during Denver's first offensive snap!

Too far?

mraynrand
01-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Nah, Manning's head will just detach from his body and go rolling across the field during Denver's first offensive snap!

Too far?

We beat the Vikings at the Metronome in 1997 when Brad Johnson's head was barely still attached. You take the wins any way you can get 'em. People only remember the victors. Nobody remembers that Spec Sanders was hurting in the '47 AAFC championship game, they only remember that Otto Graham and the Cleveland Browns won.

red
01-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Too far?

i don't know. those stitches that Dr. Frankenstein use to attach his head are pretty beefy. i don't think that thing is coming off that easy

without scissors or snips that is

Guiness
01-08-2013, 05:48 PM
i don't know. those stitches that Dr. Frankenstein use to attach his head are pretty beefy. i don't think that thing is coming off that easy

without scissors or snips that is

What are the rules about signing guys this late in the season? As long as they're a free agent, anyone can be signed, right? This guy might look good after the NLCS

http://www.90smovies.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/johnny-depp-as-edward-scissorhands-1990.jpg

LP
01-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Ok talked to a few miners fans and confidence levels are low!!

Sooooo, were these fans your other personalities or your imaginary friends?:-)

MadtownPacker
01-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Sooooo, were these fans your other personalities or your imaginary friends?:-)I dont gather your meaning but if I imagined them they would be far better than these pukes Im speaking of. Kinda like if I could imagine the posters on this forum.

pbmax
01-08-2013, 08:41 PM

Too far?

I am looking forward to you developing an injury for Longwell who just signed with the Seahawks.

pbmax
01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
We beat the Vikings at the Metronome in 1997 when Brad Johnson's head was barely still attached. You take the wins any way you can get 'em. People only remember the victors. Nobody remembers that Spec Sanders was hurting in the '47 AAFC championship game, they only remember that Otto Graham and the Cleveland Browns won.

Repped for remembering the old AAFC! Those were the days!

Freak Out
01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Now I know who to send Depends to for Christmas next year.

HowardRoark
01-08-2013, 10:34 PM
I am looking forward to you developing an injury for Longwell who just signed with the Seahawks.

I hope he eats some bad Chicken Marsala at Chives Restaurant the night before the Championship game and can't make it out of the loo.

Iron Mike
01-08-2013, 10:42 PM

It's 70 miles from my house to Lambeau Field. And I don't have to go through Rosendale.

Iron Mike
01-08-2013, 10:50 PM

Ask your husband if he was ever in the Sure Way at Main and Irwin:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/576437_354594721262477_1540611658_n.jpg

HowardRoark
01-08-2013, 10:55 PM

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/576437_354594721262477_1540611658_n.jpg

I bet Harlan was there.

Jimx29
01-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Just in case any of you need a reason to get yer blood boiling.....

http://i.imgur.com/mt6oD.jpg

Fritz
01-09-2013, 05:58 AM

Maybe Red will give him a good, swift kick to the Applebees.

Pugger
01-09-2013, 07:17 AM

I'm sure he was and I believe I was too a few times. I'd ask him but he's on a bike ride ride right now (he is a long distance cyclist). There is a Family Dollar store on that corner now.

Any of you remember Woolworth's downtown? He worked there after school while he attended GB East.

red
01-09-2013, 10:18 AM

i hate this picture, and the game

pbmax
01-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Is that Bernardo Harris and a safety (43) or a linebacker (53)?

Fritz
01-09-2013, 10:21 AM
I died three deaths that game. I was so hopeful they'd go back to back to back Super Bowl appearances.

But you couldn't quite trust that defense. I hated Sharper for not getting there on the touchdown throw from Young.

red
01-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I could reach Green Bay in 2.5 hours as long as it's not Game Day or Pulaski Polka Days.

back in the day. if you were coming from the central or western half of the UP you had to go threw the little town of Lena on 141

141 was about 80 miles of 2 lane road (except when you go threw crivitz where its 4 lane)

well lena had a stop sign on main street right in the middle of town. before and after games there use to be hundreds of cars backed up at that god damn stop sign. i remember waiting like 45 minutes there one time

thank god they built bypass around that shithole and made most of 141 4 lanes now

red
01-09-2013, 10:27 AM

is that #23?

s- scotty mcgarrahan

the only other guys on that team that played defense and hand number that ended in 3 where george koonce, and big gil

the guy in the picture is way too small, and waaaay to white to be either of those two

pbmax
01-09-2013, 10:28 AM
back in the day. if you were coming from the central or western half of the UP you had to go threw the little town of Lena on 141

141 was about 80 miles of 2 lane road (except when you go threw crivitz where its 4 lane)

well lena had a stop sign on main street right in the middle of town. before and after games there use to be hundreds of cars backed up at that god damn stop sign. i remember waiting like 45 minutes there one time

thank god they built bypass around that shithole and made most of 141 4 lanes now

As bothersome as that was, it would make a great picture after a night game with everyone going home. A traffic jam in a small Michigan town. :D

Rosendale (when I see a sign I always think of Rosedale and a Clapton cover of Robert Johnson I believe) has a four way stop sign and 25 mph speed limits. Its not a long diversion, but I bet it gets busy after games.

They have the same setup in Edgerton which is an even more famous and effective speed trap along Hwy 51 I think.

red
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
lena is actually still in wisconsin, about half way between iron mountain, which is right on the wisconsin/UP boarder, and green bay

its south of crivitz

denverYooper
01-09-2013, 10:48 AM

No shit. I remember that. We used to come down through Iron Mountain.

Cheesehead Craig
01-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Now I know who to send Depends to for Christmas next year.

Chances are he'll need them long before then.

swede
01-09-2013, 11:45 AM

I've been there! After being backed up for miles you find out that the only thing keeping highway traffic from moving properly was that one stupid stop sign.

Upper Middle Inlet never caused that kind of trouble.

mraynrand
01-09-2013, 12:05 PM

For one season, I had a guy send me VCR Packer games, and one time he sent a photocopy of his letter to the editor that he wrote about that fumble that got published. If I find it, I'll post it. It is awesome.

ThunderDan
01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Rosendale (when I see a sign I always think of Rosedale and a Clapton cover of Robert Johnson I believe) has a four way stop sign and 25 mph speed limits. Its not a long diversion, but I bet it gets busy after games.

That stop sign has been a light for years!!!!

Fritz
01-09-2013, 12:53 PM

Can you still stop at Irene's in Hurley and buy yourself a shot and a beer, as well as a rifle from behind the bar?

ThunderDan
01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Can you still stop at Irene's in Hurley and buy yourself a shot and a beer, as well as a rifle from behind the bar?

No idea, I was talking about Rosendale not Hurley.

pbmax
01-09-2013, 01:11 PM

Yeah, my bad. Not sure why I put it as a stop sign.

Iron Mike
01-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Any of you remember Woolworth's downtown? He worked there after school while he attended GB East.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/423868_2738572104377_68382500_n.jpg

Iron Mike
01-09-2013, 09:22 PM

My grade school buddy's Dad had a cottage North of Lake Noquebay, so the trip there was always 141 from GB to Wausaukee. His Dad would always stop in Lena for fish on the way up there...........at the Sportsmen's Bar.

Iron Mike
01-09-2013, 09:47 PM

Next time you're there, stop at Bluemke's for a t-shirt!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3495/3793600942_fe5bb9cb54.jpg

Joemailman
01-09-2013, 10:05 PM
As bothersome as that was, it would make a great picture after a night game with everyone going home. A traffic jam in a small Michigan town. :D

They have the same setup in Edgerton which is an even more famous and effective speed trap along Hwy 51 I think.

I'm going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side.
I'm going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side.
You can still barrelhouse, baby, on the riverside.

Crossroads by Robert Johnson. Covered famously by Cream.

Joemailman
01-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Looks to be Scott McGarrahan.

ThunderDan
01-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Next time you're there, stop at Bluemke's for a t-shirt!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3495/3793600942_fe5bb9cb54.jpg

All the gas stations were closed at 11:40 coming back from the game on Saturday night. Saturday night of a Packer game and you're not open to catch the post-game traffic!

Joemailman
01-09-2013, 10:24 PM
All the gas stations were closed at 11:40 coming back from the game on Saturday night. Saturday night of a Packer game and you're not open to catch the post-game traffic!

They must have had game tickets.

Pugger
01-10-2013, 10:52 AM

Very cool photo! My hubby said that Sure Way in your other post was not far from his grandparent's house. That is the Woolworth's he worked at. I have a water color painting of the front of Kaap's restaurant hanging on my living room wall down here. I used to eat there often as a kid with my family. Downtown doesn't look anything like that today.

Iron Mike
01-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Downtown doesn't look anything like that today.

Happy Holidays from oldtime downtown GB!!!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/421188_3302638677456_581880180_n.jpg

Pugger
01-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Mike, I remember at Christmas time it was a big deal to go downtown and check out the front store windows at Prange's. They were always pretty nice.

Iron Mike
01-11-2013, 07:02 AM
I have a water color painting of the front of Kaap's restaurant hanging on my living room wall down here. I used to eat there often as a kid with my family.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531829_4845987306074_254729436_n.jpg

My Mom worked at the Bellin Building for a while, and if I took the bus Downtown on her lunch break, I'd get taken to Kaap's for lunch and a Mickey Mouse sundae. :)

Pugger
01-11-2013, 09:11 AM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531829_4845987306074_254729436_n.jpg

My Mom worked at the Bellin Building for a while, and if I took the bus Downtown on her lunch break, I'd get taken to Kaap's for lunch and a Mickey Mouse sundae. :)

OMG, what a trip down memory lane! Thanks! When my family would go there we'd sing songs and the waitresses - who were all older than God - got a kick out of us. I don't know if the other patrons did tho! :whist: I gotta show this pic to my hubby later on! BTW, if you go to W. De Pere and check out that pizza place called Gallagher's you'll find a couple of those booths and other paraphenalia from Kaap's in there! Unfortunately if memory serves they painted the booths a light green.

gbgary
01-11-2013, 10:31 AM

i mentioned this before from when i made my first trip to Green Bay but this photo looks exactly like the downtown from the city i grew up in...pueblo, colorado. this pic is from the early-mid sixties and i was 10-12 years old then. pueblo even has the same ethnic groups as Green Bay. it was a trip back in time when i went there. woolworths on the corner and everything. lol

red
01-11-2013, 11:01 AM

i love pictures from the old days, and i love seeing how things have changed over time

can someone tell me what street this is, and what direction we're looking?

MJZiggy
01-11-2013, 07:52 PM
2 hours north, and yes green aby is the closest "big city"
Wait, you're two hours north of GB or GB is two hours north of you? How far is that from Kiel?

red
01-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Wait, you're two hours north of GB or GB is two hours north of you? How far is that from Kiel?

i'm 2 hours north of GB

MJZiggy
01-11-2013, 09:04 PM
i'm 2 hours north of GB
Never mind. My mom's best friend lived in New Holstein which is the next town over from the big city of Kiel. The thought did inspire me to get on Google maps and look at a street view of the old house. How they raised nine daughters there (one bathroom and the upstairs always under construction), I will never know.

swede
01-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Never mind. My mom's best friend lived in New Holstein which is the next town over from the big city of Kiel. The thought did inspire me to get on Google maps and look at a street view of the old house. How they raised nine daughters there (one bathroom and the upstairs always under construction), I will never know.

My first residence as a married guy was a little house we rented in Kiel. I rented it from the family that owned the corner bowling alley.

Iron Mike
01-12-2013, 06:50 AM
i love pictures from the old days, and i love seeing how things have changed over time

can someone tell me what street this is, and what direction we're looking?

This is Washington Street looking North.

THIS is the end of Washington Street BITD:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/306931_4030983731494_1216925779_n.jpg

Iron Mike
01-12-2013, 06:55 AM
i mentioned this before from when i made my first trip to Green Bay but this photo looks exactly like the downtown from the city i grew up in...pueblo, colorado. this pic is from the early-mid sixties and i was 10-12 years old then. pueblo even has the same ethnic groups as Green Bay. it was a trip back in time when i went there. woolworths on the corner and everything. lol

Gus' Place, Pueblo:

http://pueblo.org/sites/default/files/gus_place.jpg

Iron Mike
01-12-2013, 07:04 AM

View from Woolworth's in 1968:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/541664_10200117409516512_1687581766_n.jpg

That statue was moved to the Neville Museum, which was on the South side of the WBAY building at the time:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/390987_10150472939544014_1291785895_n.jpg

Anyone remember "Bowling For Dollars" from Larry Van's Bay Bowl??

Iron Mike
01-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Of course, then the downtown was ripped up to make way for Port Plaza mall. :(

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/423953_2738584384684_854883359_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/421878_2764888122261_207774074_n.jpg

And, The Stein was torn down this year:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531790_438948982827050_711523798_n.jpg

red
01-12-2013, 08:17 AM
thanks mike. those pictures are awesome

its a shame that all that was lost for a mall that failed

denverYooper
01-12-2013, 08:40 AM
I nominate IronMike for Master of Google Image Search.

Iron Mike
01-12-2013, 10:43 PM
I nominate IronMike for Master of Google Image Search.

Those are all from a "You are from Green Bay if.." site on FB.

Pugger
01-13-2013, 02:26 AM
View from Woolworth's in 1968:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/541664_10200117409516512_1687581766_n.jpg

That statue was moved to the Neville Museum, which was on the South side of the WBAY building at the time:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/390987_10150472939544014_1291785895_n.jpg

Anyone remember "Bowling For Dollars" from Larry Van's Bay Bowl??

Yes. And I remember the museum was right next door to the WBAY building in this photo.

KYPack
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Yes. And I remember the museum was right next door to the WBAY building in this photo.

We used to drink at The Spot.

Good little alcoholic WI tavern.

I remember WBAY & Bowling for Dollars.

Remember The Col Caboose show?

He once split town with one of the secretaries and went a 5 day bender.

Iron Mike
01-16-2013, 06:51 AM

http://www.greenbayroute.com/colonel_caboose.jpg

mraynrand
01-16-2013, 10:23 AM
http://www.greenbayroute.com/colonel_caboose.jpg

Is that the secretary on his lap?

Pugger
01-16-2013, 10:40 AM
We used to drink at The Spot.

Good little alcoholic WI tavern.

I remember WBAY & Bowling for Dollars.

Wally's Spot is still there.

Iron Mike
02-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Any of you remember Woolworth's downtown?

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/563699_4371320162058_234757695_n.jpg

KYPack
02-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Is that the secretary on his lap?

They found the Col in a flea bag motel in a pile of bottles.

After a month or so, his show was back on the air.

The local joke was that he was now Sgt Caboose.