PDA

View Full Version : BCS Title game

Guiness
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
What is the thinking here on Alabama's center, Barrett Jones? He looked good in this game. Got a couple of nice blocks on Te'o.

Is he a first rounder? Center being a need for the Pack, I wonder if they seriously consider him.

Tyler Eifert looked good too.

Cheesehead Craig
01-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Jones is a guranteed 1st rounder. Won the best T in college ball 2 yrs ago and the best C this year.

ND layed down like a drunk sorority girl and just let Alabama have it's way with them last night. That was just a joke of a game and showed how overrated ND was, again.

mraynrand
01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
ND layed down like a drunk sorority girl and just let Alabama have it's way with them last night. .

Oregon would have at least blown the rape whistle

Joemailman
01-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Several sites have Jones listed as a 1st round pick. He's a great player who could also play Guard and even possibly Tackle. Eifert is also a great player.

As Packer GM, TT has never taken a guy who played Guard/Center or Tight End earlier than the 3rd round though. He did draft Steve Hutchison on the 1st round at Seattle.

Guiness
01-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Was the best T in college ball and moved to center? That'll cost him some money, moving him from the top of the first to the bottom.

QBME
01-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Jones will be long gone by the time the Pack picks.

Te'o's stock probably slipped last night - he may be the next AJ Hawk.

Best part about last nights game is that I didn't have to stay up late.

Joemailman
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
He won the Outland Trophy in 2011 playing every OL position except for RG. Not sure what his best position was. Won the Rimington Award as the nation's top Center in 2012.

The guy has a 4.0 GPA. If available, he'd be as safe a pick as you could want. Smart and versatile.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jones_barrett00.html

Joemailman
01-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Jones will be long gone by the time the Pack picks.

A lot depends on whether teams think he can play Tackle. Last year DeCastro was the 1st interior offensive lineman picked at #24. IOL seldom get picked much higher than that.

Lurker64
01-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't take Jones in the first round. He's basically Max Unger with the benefit of being surrounded by more talent on the OL in college than Unger was.

If the Liscfranc injury makes him drop, I'd take him at the back end of the second though.

All this "Jones won't last to the Packers" talk is bafflingly me, are you sure you're not talking about Alabama's stud OG Chance Warmack instead of Jones?

Barrett isn't even the best center prospect in the draft (that would be North Carolina's Jon Cooper, who played guard in college, but has elite center potential.)

QBME
01-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't take Jones in the first round. He's basically Max Unger with the benefit of being surrounded by more talent on the OL in college than Unger was.

If the Liscfranc injury makes him drop, I'd take him at the back end of the second though.

All this "Jones won't last to the Packers" talk is bafflingly me, are you sure you're not talking about Alabama's stud OG Chance Warmack instead of Jones?

Barrett isn't even the best center prospect in the draft (that would be North Carolina's Jon Cooper, who played guard in college, but has elite center potential.)

I guess I fell for the pre-BCS Bowl hype when I read several places he would be a top 10 pick. He's listed as #1 center on a couple of draft sites.

red
01-08-2013, 05:11 PM
i've actually seen many sites that have jones going to us in the first so i kept an eye on him last night

he would be a great addition IMO. fills a huge need, and the guy can play multiple positions on the line

not to mention he's great and smart as hell

even with the injury i would take him in the first

red
01-08-2013, 05:13 PM
where are we at with our pick right now

am i correct in thinking we can draft no higher then #25 as it stands right now? anyone else got anything different?

Joemailman
01-08-2013, 05:28 PM

am i correct in thinking we can draft no higher then #25 as it stands right now? anyone else got anything different?

Right. The 4 teams that lose this week will pick between 25-28, depending on their won/loss record.

Lurker64
01-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Yeah, we're picking #25-#32, but if the last draft is any indication, it's really cheap to trade up now (e.g. New England moved from #31 to #25 for the cost of a fourth round pick (#126).)

Lurker64
01-08-2013, 07:30 PM
I guess I fell for the pre-BCS Bowl hype when I read several places he would be a top 10 pick. He's listed as #1 center on a couple of draft sites.

Keep in mind that at this time last year, Peter Konz was universally heralded as the #1 center, and was regularly mocked in the teens in the first round. He was selected at #55 (the Packers passed on him twice.)

The draft-industrial complex sort of misunderstands the positional value of centers. Yes, sometimes centers go in the first round, but only when they project to be really terrific centers, and not just "NFL starter quality." It's safe to take an LT high, since if he can't cut it at left tackle, you can make him into an RT, and if that doesn't work he can probably be a decent guard. When you take a center, and that guy isn't any good, he's probably not any good anywhere on the OL.

Jones ought to go around where Unger or Konz went (49-55), but the injury could cause him to fall further.

But Centers don't usually go in the first round, we've just been spoiled because we've had a lot of high quality C prospects of late (the Pouncey Twins, Mack, and Wood.) But Jones isn't as good a prospect as that lot, and so shouldn't go that high.

pbmax
01-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Several sites have Jones listed as a 1st round pick. He's a great player who could also play Guard and even possibly Tackle. Eifert is also a great player.

As Packer GM, TT has never taken a guy who played Guard/Center or Tight End earlier than the 3rd round though. He did draft Steve Hutchison on the 1st round at Seattle.

Might have been Holmgren's one fantastic GM call. Wasn't that pick a swap with the Packers?

Joemailman
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Might have been Holmgren's one fantastic GM call. Wasn't that pick a swap with the Packers?

Wow. You're right. That was the year the Packers traded their 17th pick and Hasselbeck for the 10th pick. (There may have been something else involved). Seattle got Hutchinson and Hasselbeck and the Packers got Jamal Reynolds. Ouch. Wolf didn't exactly go out in a blaze of glory, did he?

Guiness
01-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Wow. You're right. That was the year the Packers traded their 17th pick and Hasselbeck for the 10th pick. (There may have been something else involved). Seattle got Hutchinson and Hasselbeck and the Packers got Jamal Reynolds. Ouch. Wolf didn't exactly go out in a blaze of glory, did he?

We also got their 3rd round pick and they got our 7th.

I thought Ahman Green came over as well, but that was the Fred Vinson trade a year earlier.

gbgary
01-08-2013, 09:30 PM
BCS Title game

was over in the first quarter. makes you wonder how anyone beat alabama. it took johhny football to do that.

Joemailman
01-08-2013, 09:46 PM
We also got their 3rd round pick and they got our 7th.

I thought Ahman Green came over as well, but that was the Fred Vinson trade a year earlier.

So in addition to Jamal Reynolds, we got Torrance Marshall. :doh: :bang:

pbmax
01-08-2013, 10:28 PM
So in addition to Jamal Reynolds, we got Torrance Marshall. :doh: :bang:

Thank you Bo Pellini!

Fritz
01-09-2013, 06:32 AM
"Keep in mind that at this time last year, Peter Konz was universally heralded as the #1 center, and was regularly mocked in the teens in the first round."

I was regularly mocked in my teens, and it hurt me very badly.

Though perhaps not as badly as Ron Wolf's reputation was hurt in that draft...Jamaal Reynolds and Torrance Marshall? Ugly. The same draft also featured the ever-forgettable Bawoh Jue and Bretsky's all-time favorite, Robert "The Turd" Ferguson.

It's too bad, because the draft before that - 2000 - featured Chad Clifton, Nai'il Diggs, KGB, and Mark Tauscher. However, his first pick was Bubba "Molasses" Franks, who was taken ahead of Julian Peterson and Shaun Alexander. Still, you can't hit 'em all.

Guiness
01-09-2013, 11:46 AM
"Keep in mind that at this time last year, Peter Konz was universally heralded as the #1 center, and was regularly mocked in the teens in the first round."

I was regularly mocked in my teens, and it hurt me very badly.

You just love the mock drafts, eh? I still have your old quote in my sig!