PDA

View Full Version : Dom Capers era ends tonignt

dissident94
01-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Worst defensive game plan I've seen.

How he made it through last years debalcle and now this.

While we are on it I hate the 3-4 defense

digitaldean
01-12-2013, 10:30 PM
We can't tackle to save our souls. Tramon Williams has regressed. Our special teams gave away momentum with muffed punt and the int from Rodgers was abysmal.

pbmax
01-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Its not the scheme. Its the players. The debate is whether the players match the scheme or the position coaches are not doing their job (think communication in secondary.

Also underrated as a reason? Woodson is a terrible deep safety.

gbpackfan
01-12-2013, 10:34 PM
How many fucking Packer games do I have to watch where the Packers D gives up some sort of record! Good Lord! Horrible. Dom Capers needs to go. Our MLB are terrible! Were they even on the field tonight? Tramon is soft as hell and the D line was weak. Walden gets sucked in on every play action! Does this guy not learn.

And while A Rod is NOT the problem, lets be honest, he was off on his deep ball all season. That problem reared its ugly head again tonight.

SLOPPY!

dissident94
01-12-2013, 10:38 PM
It is the scheme.
You do not play man to man and blitz against a good running qb. You are playing with fire if you do not get the sack.
So how many years are we going to say it is not the scheme but the players.

digitaldean
01-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Missing Jennings deep, the f-up INT in 1st half were big.

gbpackfan
01-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Its a combination of both. Hawk, aka T-Rex arms, and Brad Jones are the two worst starting MLBs in a 3-4 D in the league. Walden is a putz and our DBs refuse to tackle. Raji, or any other D linemen, didnt show up tonight. Fucking horrible showing tonight. Capers didnt do any favors with his scheme. I mean, third and long was a guarantee for the niners tonight. They whooped us. Our O puts up 31 points and we got blown out. EMBARASSING!!!!

And MM shares some blame. You dont change your punt returner now! He is willing to change out R. Cobb but not Crosby?????? WTF! Hes not a bad coach, I actually like him. But that was a bad decision.

Iron Mike
01-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Lovie Smith is available.

mmmdk
01-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Lovie Smith is available.

Would be cool but will not happen.

packers11
01-12-2013, 10:50 PM
3 out of 4 years we lost with Rodgers at helm

Arizona: 531 Total Yards ... 51 pts
Giants: 420 Total Yards... 37 Pts..
Tonight... 579 yards... 45 pts...

HOW DO YOU SHITBRICKS expect to win a playoff game letting up so many yards and points... Packers are literally better off staying cover 2 all game like retards and having a qb just dink and dunk slowly on them...

Joemailman
01-12-2013, 10:52 PM
This is the 2nd time in 4 years that the defense had a complete meltdown in the playoffs that gave the Packers little chance to win.

MM has a tough decision to make.

As long as Matthews is here, I would expect the Packers to play a 3-4 defense.

rbaloha1
01-12-2013, 10:52 PM
It is the scheme.
You do not play man to man and blitz against a good running qb. You are playing with fire if you do not get the sack.
So how many years are we going to say it is not the scheme but the players.

Yup. The scheme failed to account for a running qb and way too much man. Needed to play zone with eyes looking forward.

Why was Woodson not closer to the line of scrimmage.

rbaloha1
01-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Would be cool but will not happen.

Yup Cover 2 with hitters and creating turnovers.

Freak Out
01-12-2013, 10:56 PM
If the scheme called for Walden to crash inside on every fake dive then yes...it sucked.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-12-2013, 10:56 PM
I finally see people think Capers sucks. Can we say something about the punt on 4th and 4 from the 50 yard line too? MM worst call of the season for him. Just dumb all the way around.

We really miss Nick Collins on defense. When CK ran the 70 yard touchdown run the first thing I thought was at least if Nick was back there he would have probably chased him down.

mmmdk
01-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Yup. The scheme failed to account for a running qb and way too much man. Needed to play zone with eyes looking forward.

Why was Woodson not closer to the line of scrimmage.

...but Webb was such good practice for Kaepernick! :wink: Your Qs are spot on. :tup:

dissident94
01-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Punting was the wrong move. No doubt. But how can Capers survive after last years last ranked d and now this is beyond me.

I can't believe we puted there. God what an awfule move

mission
01-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Can't fucking BELIEVE we punted there.

And fire Capers. Easy. No brainer.

denverYooper
01-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Can't fucking BELIEVE we punted there.

And fire Capers. Easy. No brainer.

It was a weird call on M3's part given how the game was going and decisions they'd made in the past.

Brando19
01-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Agree we gotta fire Dom if we want success, but stick with the 3-4. Clay is built for the 3-4. The Cowboys just switched to a 4-3. Demarcus Ware isn't thrilled. Cut or trade Hawk. Tag Jennings and trade him to Dallas for Ware.

dissident94
01-12-2013, 11:14 PM
I agree we will run 3-4 as long as we have Mattews

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Thats what I'm saying, if you convert and score you are down down one TD with say 7 mins left. Still a game. The punt sealed it, I just couldn't believe he punted. Nelson should have run over and said hey coach once again you are a moron how about we go for it.

VegasPackFan
01-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Letting that QB run like wild is just BULLSHIT. Even I know that you have o keep contain on that guy. Last week, Walden let Webb go 1 play to the outside and after that he kept contain all day and we won. Tonight, its like not one FUCKIN' GUY has a clue that the QB can run to the outside. FIRE CAPERS NOW!!!!! I am sick of seeing a really good and talented team LOSE LOSE LOSE in the playoffs because we can't even play basic defense. AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Agree we gotta fire Dom if we want success, but stick with the 3-4. Clay is built for the 3-4. The Cowboys just switched to a 4-3. Demarcus Ware isn't thrilled. Cut or trade Hawk. Tag Jennings and trade him to Dallas for Ware.

I'm down getting Ware that would be sick.

denverYooper
01-12-2013, 11:18 PM

Clay and Ware on the same D would be obscene, but one or both would have to take pretty well below market to make that happen.

denverYooper
01-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Thats what I'm saying, if you convert and score you are down down one TD with say 7 mins left. Still a game. The punt sealed it, I just couldn't believe he punted. Nelson should have run over and said hey coach once again you are a moron how about we go for it.

Agree.

Brando19
01-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Clay and Ware on the same D would be obscene, but one or both would have to take pretty well below market to make that happen.

Not with Jennings, Driver, Hawk, Finley, and maybe Woodson off the roster. That would free up alot.

pbmax
01-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Yup Cover 2 with hitters and creating turnovers.

That is Jerry Jones like thinking. Who plays corner in the new scheme? T Will, Wood, House and Shields are unsuited for it. it would be Hayward and a FA CB. Not a recipe for success.

wist43
01-12-2013, 11:45 PM
We're still very weak in our front seven - even with last year's draft; and Capers will remain our D-Coord.

More of the same next year. Our defense will look okay against mediocre offenses, but bullies will continue to beat us up; and Capers will continue to sit in the booth and spray paint his hair when his gameplan goes to shit.

The Packers, as an organization, believe in finesse football. That's not going to change.

Of the 4 demensions of offensive and defensive football, i.e. running the ball, passsing the ball; stopping the run, and stopping the pass - the Packers only do 1 of those things well - pass the ball. The Packers are pathetic at every other aspect of the game.

pbmax
01-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Its the players and execution. Not the scheme. I am open to arguments that either DB coach should be blamed for a lack of effective communication and zone trouble.

Green and Moss have three positions with weaknesses.

Trgo is the only guy who got help and had them playing well, though part of the lack of discipline versus Peterson has to fall on him.

This week, the lack of discipline in the pass rush cost them. They repeatedly sent five or six in the first half and somehow still vacated the middle of the pocket.

So the question is, why do they need to play a team three times to figure it out? Even Atlanta handed them their head the first game.

Guiness
01-12-2013, 11:58 PM
So many people convinced that punt in the 4th was a horrible idea...

We put them in side their own 10. Our D had to get a stop. A lot of time on the clock. We were down by two scores, our D had to make a stop to get us back in the game.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 12:02 AM

We put them in side their own 10. Our D had to get a stop. A lot of time on the clock. We were down by two scores, our D had to make a stop to get us back in the game.

Its an obvious call now, but at the time you had to be convinced the D would continue to collapse.

In retrospect, McCarthy rarely gives in even when the other team has an edge. I am sure he thought he still should be able to trust the D to stop a 90 yard drive.

Joemailman
01-13-2013, 12:07 AM

But by punting, you're requiring the defense to stop them twice. A defense that was gassed by that point because they couldn't get off the field all night. Very unrealistic on MM's part.

denverYooper
01-13-2013, 12:08 AM

Fair point, except that D was an adventure against Kaepernick. And we've seen GB aggressive in what would seem to be equivalent situations -- end of the Minny game and down by 7 with 5:45 left.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-13-2013, 12:11 AM
But by punting, you're requiring the defense to stop them twice. A defense that was gassed by that point because they couldn't get off the field all night. Very unrealistic on MM's part.

This. And with Andy Lee punting the ball they wouldn't have to move the ball very far to change the field position back in their favor.

easy cheesy
01-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Blitz=Shitz

pittstang5
01-13-2013, 12:16 AM
As much as I want to see heads roll because of this pathetic excuse of a defensive performance tonight, I don't know why, but I don't want to see Capers fired. I like this scheme (3-4), it works when executed properly and as mentioned, there's no way you go to something else as long as Mathews is around.

I fear that if Capers is canned, the D will be set back for a couple years.

packers11
01-13-2013, 12:26 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125603/article/packers-have-soulsearching-to-do-after-blowout-loss

Joemailman
01-13-2013, 12:27 AM
I fear that if Capers is canned, the D will be set back for a couple years.

But the question is whether the status quo is worth preserving. They had a great playoff run in 2010, but the other three years they've given up 51, 37 and 45 in the playoffs.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 12:46 AM
But the question is whether the status quo is worth preserving. They had a great playoff run in 2010, but the other three years they've given up 51, 37 and 45 in the playoffs.

Its a fair question. To me, it looks for all the world like the players can't execute the idea. But if the coach isn't getting the idea across, then scheme won't help. But is it Capers, the assistants or the mix of M3's assistants (Moss and Whitt) plus Capers (Perry and Green)?

I think the common denominator is talent. Too many holes, still, in that front. Depth in back looks ok.

mission
01-13-2013, 12:54 AM
I think other teams do more with less, PB. I'm putting this on Capers

Joemailman
01-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Its a fair question. To me, it looks for all the world like the players can't execute the idea. But if the coach isn't getting the idea across, then scheme won't help. But is it Capers, the assistants or the mix of M3's assistants (Moss and Whitt) plus Capers (Perry and Green)?

I think the common denominator is talent. Too many holes, still, in that front. Depth in back looks ok.

If the players can't execute the idea, maybe the idea is too complex. The Packers do so much substituting with their sub-packages, I find it difficult to keep track of who is in the game. I wonder if complexity hurts cohesiveness. The 49ers this year had 9 defensive players play at least 90% of the snaps. It would have been 10 if Justin Smith hadn't gotten hurt. Now that be be the other extreme, but I wonder if communication among the Packer players is hurt by the amount of substituting they do.

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 06:59 AM
How many fucking Packer games do I have to watch where the Packers D gives up some sort of record! Good Lord! Horrible. Dom Capers needs to go. Our MLB are terrible! Were they even on the field tonight? Tramon is soft as hell and the D line was weak. Walden gets sucked in on every play action! Does this guy not learn.

And while A Rod is NOT the problem, lets be honest, he was off on his deep ball all season. That problem reared its ugly head again tonight.

SLOPPY!

Don't worry.

Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy will discover their scapegoat. It won't be Aaron Rodgers. It won't be Tramone Williams.

On our 'D' we needed more strength in the middle of our DLine. Overall our 'D' looked confused and very tired. Our Linebackers looked near invisable. I say get rid or all of them except Clay Matthews. Get him some real help.

Why were we so soundly beaten? You need not look any further than this. This has been an issue for too many seasons now. Our team has fits trying to stop an effective running game.

San Fran 49ers Rushing

Player .....................ATT........ YDS..........TD............ LG

** C. Kaepernick ....... 16 ......... 181 ......... 2 ........... 56T

F. Gore.................... 23...........119...........1..............26

L. James................... 3............ 21........... 0.............. 14

A. Dixon.................... 1............ 2............ 1.............. 2T

** As Joe Buck told us 'over and over'. The 'All Time - All Game' RUSHING RECORD for an NFL QB !

Kaepernick and Gore combined for 300 yards on the ground and 3 TD's. Ralph !!!!

Colin Kaepernick might have made that worse! I can't wait for the time some team manages to 'HIT' this laughing man. We sure 'as HELL" missed that boat last night.

This loss cannot all be blamed on the Packer 'D'. The Packers third down efficiency wasn't good:

PACKERS Third Down Efficiency 5/12 = 41%

So we see this revealing statistic:

TOP San Francisco 49ers: 38:01

TOP Green Bay Packers: 21:59 and ..... the 'rest of the story' was on the scoreboard.

49ers 45 - Packers 31

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 07:05 AM
I think other teams do more with less, PB. I'm putting this on Capers

No .... it's a Packer personnel issue. It's an issue with player talent/skills. Simply this ! There is 'only' so much any coach can do to deliver on coaching. A coach needs talent to be supplied by a teams GM and scouting staff.

We need more players at LBer with Clay Matthews talent. The Packers must eliminate the deadwood at the LBer position.

GO PACKERS !

pbmax
01-13-2013, 07:13 AM
If the players can't execute the idea, maybe the idea is too complex. The Packers do so much substituting with their sub-packages, I find it difficult to keep track of who is in the game. I wonder if complexity hurts cohesiveness. The 49ers this year had 9 defensive players play at least 90% of the snaps. It would have been 10 if Justin Smith hadn't gotten hurt. Now that be be the other extreme, but I wonder if communication among the Packer players is hurt by the amount of substituting they do.

Perhaps. They play a lot of sub, but those schemes are pretty straightforward. They don't disguise a lot or split the field in half (half zone half man). They run cover 1 and 2 are on rare long distance they backup to Cover 3. Its mostly nickel, with base and dime thrown in. I could easily be missing something, but I don't think he is doing anything experimental back there.

They did look terrible at recognizing the read option ball movement. Even if Aikman was right and the OLB and ILB were scraping and Walden was supposed to crash inside, they still missed the ball fake and the OLB was never in a position to recover and help on the QB keep. Of course, CK wasn't there anymore, having gotten right past Jones. The irony is that Hawk's on kamikaze rush to the outside seemed to dissuade CK from keeping it to his side. After that, someone adjusted and left Jones on that side.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Woodson claims there weren't many adjustments at halftime in the Silverstein JSO article.

I thought the pass rushers made a conscious effort not to get past CK's level in the second half, but other than that, Wood reports nothing else changed.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/defense-is-dj-vu-all-over-again-c38bn9m-186659831.html

pbmax
01-13-2013, 07:51 AM
JSO has reverted to form. Silverstein has constructed a column pitting unprepared players against Capers. McGinn decided that the D line of the Niners also whipped the Packers O line and they lost the physical battle on both sides of the LOS. The only thing missing from McGinn was to mention desire.

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 08:05 AM
JSO has reverted to form. Silverstein has constructed a column pitting unprepared players against Capers. McGinn decided that the D line of the Niners also whipped the Packers O line and they lost the physical battle on both sides of the LOS. The only thing missing from McGinn was to mention desire.

Aaron Rodgers was 'only' sacked once last night. I felt that our OL did pretty well.

As far as our 'O' is concerned. If you hadn't watched Aaron Rodgers alot in the past; were otherwise unaware of his prowess? If you compared Aaron Rodgers play last night to Colin Kaepernick's.

Which QB looked superior?

call_me_ishmael
01-13-2013, 08:22 AM
To me, if definitely seemed like the OL was destroyed. Sacks or not, it seems like Aaron didn't have very much time. Man that was an ugly, painful game to watch. Would not mind them putting out feelers to Pagano in SD. They need to get some SEC front 7 players this
offseason as well.

sheepshead
01-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Colin Kaepernick is fad that defensive coordinators will catch up with (probably this week). Jim Harbaugh will be the Mouse Davis of his generation.

I posted this on another well known site. Having said that, this loss really bums me out. I put in squarely on Capers for getting shellacked by this kid. Not to mention he looks like some stooge working at Burger King in Cudahy.

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 08:56 AM
To me, if definitely seemed like the OL was destroyed. Sacks or not, it seems like Aaron didn't have very much time. Man that was an ugly, painful game to watch. Would not mind them putting out feelers to Pagano in SD. They need to get some SEC front 7 players this
offseason as well.

Here's some Stat's for you:

The 49ers had the ball on 'O' for 76.05% more time. 38:01 (49ers) Vs 21:59 (Packers).

Our 'D' made 59 tackles compared to the 49ers 'D' making 43.5 tackles. The Packer 'D' made 59/43.5 or 35.63 % more tackles.

That translated into a huge advantage in rushing for the 49ers.

TOP and Packer tackling inefficiency Vs that of the 49ers:

Rushing (49ers) 323 yards Vs Packers Rushing of 104 yards. 323/103 = 310.58 %

The 49ers 'O' rushed for 3X the number of 1st downs as the Packer 'O': 15:5

Any analyst clearly knew that:

a) The Packer 'D' had to stop 'the 49ers run offense' to have a decent chance to win that game.

b) The 49ers 'D' had to stop 'the Aaron Rodgers led' Packer 'O' to have a decent chance to win that game.

Clearly the San Francisco 'D' outshown the Packer 'D'. That fact was the greatest contributuion towords the final score; along with the Packers 'O' 3rd down efficiency being 5/12 or 41%:

Total Net Yards 'O' GREEN BAY PACKERS 352

Total Net Yards 'O' San Francisco 49ers 579

Final Score: San Fran 49ers 45 - Green Bay Packers 31

A heavy loss for the team we love.

GO PACKERS !

King Friday
01-13-2013, 08:57 AM
The defensive scheme is not the problem. The 3-4 defense is just as capable of stopping an offense as a 4-3 defense IMO. Look at the Ravens.

Our problems on defense come down to 2 things. The first is that our LBs are not good enough as a whole. Clay is a stud...everyone else is horribly mediocre. If you are going to run a 3-4 defense, you need a bunch of good LBs...not just one. I guess the jury is still out on Perry. Maybe he can turn into a good LB. Even if he does pan out, we still need more than 2 good LBs as well.

The second issue is gameplanning. Capers and his staff had a horrible plan to contain the Niners offense. As others have mentioned...man defense and blitzing is a recipe for disaster. When Troy Aikman and Joe Buck have a better grasp at how to stop the Niners than your defensive coaching staff, you have an issue. The fact McCarthy thought we needed MORE PRESSURE on CK at halftime is an eye-opener for me. You didn't need more pressure on him...you needed to CONTAIN him and force him to stay in the pocket. When you pressured him, he ran for 30 yards. SO STOP PRESSURING HIM FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!! Too many horrible postseason collapses are on Capers now...McCarthy has to make a change there if he expects anyone to have confidence in his ability to be in control.

Offensively, I think we did OK last night. The OL was not great...but you can't expect it to be great with the injuries we've had there. Rodgers was under duress during much of the game, and it certainly impacted him. He got hit a ton this year, and he's become very mindful of the pressure...to the point where it has impacted his accuracy and decision-making. We actually had somewhat of a run game...the issue was that we decided to suddenly go empty backfield in the 3rd quarter and let the 49ers come after Rodgers more aggressively. The 49ers have far and away the most talented defense in the league. They damn near have Pro Bowlers at every position. We scored 24 offensive points against them...not all that bad. The offense wasn't the biggest problem last night. We need improvement on the OL and at RB...but our offense is still good enough to win any game.

McCarthy is a good coach, but he's not a great one. That is obvious with his horrible decision to punt from midfield down 2 scores with 11 minutes left in the game and with a completely gassed defense being asked to them stop the Niners twice in the final quarter. His decision to use Ross as a returner only very late in the year and then expect him to be dependable in postseason was an error. Ross should've been utilized as a returner after the bye week IMO, when it was clear Cobb was too valuable to our offense to be used in that regard. McCarthy needed to find a way to better utilize Cobb as a way to develop a better ball-control offense, since we don't have a running game capable of doing it. I saw some signs of the things necessary last night...but more of those things during the season would've been nice.

denverYooper
01-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Colin Kaepernick is fad that defensive coordinators will catch up with (probably this week). Jim Harbaugh will be the Mouse Davis of his generation.

I posted this on another well known site. Having said that, this loss really bums me out. I put in squarely on Capers for getting shellacked by this kid. Not to mention he looks like some stooge working at Burger King in Cudahy.

I don't know if fad is the right word, but it is a trend this year that is exploiting weaknesses in traditional NFL defenses. Don't forget that Kaepernick also worked over a Bears team that was at the time looking like an all-time great defense.

That said, I think the Worthy pick was made with this trend in mind. Worthy's game is speed and fast DL seem to be part of the ticket to dealing with the triple option. He just needs a year or two of good S&C to make a difference there.

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 09:04 AM

I hope your correct.

I look forward to those long legs and twinkle toes splaying out like a calf on ice.

Iron Mike
01-13-2013, 09:07 AM
This loss cannot all be blamed on the Packer 'D'.

Can I have some of that crack you're smoking?? This loss WAS all on the "D."

King Friday
01-13-2013, 09:14 AM

I disagree. CK is a QB that has incredible athletic ability and can also make big plays downfield. He doesn't appear to want to run first...and rarely takes contact to get more yardage. He also has an talented OL to work behind, which is a huge help.

This offensive trend toward athletic QBs isn't going away any time soon. The NFL has trended toward giving pocket passers all the advantages over the last 2 decades. That has forced defenses to become smaller and faster in the front seven to provide a greater ability to get after the pocket passer before he can cash in on the advantages. To stop a good zone read offense, you need a bigger front seven with solid man-to-man cover guys in the back. It will take time for the NFL to adjust to that, which is why we are seeing these offenses have a lot of success right now. I expect that to continue with the number of college programs now running that offense. That offense greatly shortens your window with a great QB...CK or RGIII isn't a guy who is going to play for 15 years in this league, as opposed to a Brady/Manning/Rodgers who can be a dynamic QB for your team for that long. However, for 6-8 years, they may actually have a BETTER chance of winning a title for your team because of the the defensive trend in the league toward smallish defenses in the recent past.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 09:14 AM

They played worse, but the O did not help. They scored 17 points while the game was in doubt.

The man coverage is a good question. They bracketed Vernon Davis but otherwise were in a lot of single coverage. They obviously wanted to blitz the young QB. He made mincemeat out of it all night with his running. Once the pass rush stopped running past Kapernick, there was little pressure.

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 09:20 AM
The defensive scheme is not the problem. The 3-4 defense is just as capable of stopping an offense as a 4-3 defense IMO. Look at the Ravens.

Our problems on defense come down to 2 things. The first is that our LBs are not good enough as a whole. Clay is a stud...everyone else is horribly mediocre. If you are going to run a 3-4 defense, you need a bunch of good LBs...not just one. I guess the jury is still out on Perry. Maybe he can turn into a good LB. Even if he does pan out, we still need more than 2 good LBs as well.

The second issue is gameplanning. Capers and his staff had a horrible plan to contain the Niners offense. As others have mentioned...man defense and blitzing is a recipe for disaster. When Troy Aikman and Joe Buck have a better grasp at how to stop the Niners than your defensive coaching staff, you have an issue. The fact McCarthy thought we needed MORE PRESSURE on CK at halftime is an eye-opener for me. You didn't need more pressure on him...you needed to CONTAIN him and force him to stay in the pocket. When you pressured him, he ran for 30 yards. SO STOP PRESSURING HIM FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!! Too many horrible postseason collapses are on Capers now...McCarthy has to make a change there if he expects anyone to have confidence in his ability to be in control.

Offensively, I think we did OK last night. The OL was not great...but you can't expect it to be great with the injuries we've had there. Rodgers was under duress during much of the game, and it certainly impacted him. He got hit a ton this year, and he's become very mindful of the pressure...to the point where it has impacted his accuracy and decision-making. We actually had somewhat of a run game...the issue was that we decided to suddenly go empty backfield in the 3rd quarter and let the 49ers come after Rodgers more aggressively. The 49ers have far and away the most talented defense in the league. They damn near have Pro Bowlers at every position. We scored 24 offensive points against them...not all that bad. The offense wasn't the biggest problem last night. We need improvement on the OL and at RB...but our offense is still good enough to win any game.

McCarthy is a good coach, but he's not a great one. That is obvious with his horrible decision to punt from midfield down 2 scores with 11 minutes left in the game and with a completely gassed defense being asked to them stop the Niners twice in the final quarter. His decision to use Ross as a returner only very late in the year and then expect him to be dependable in postseason was an error. Ross should've been utilized as a returner after the bye week IMO, when it was clear Cobb was too valuable to our offense to be used in that regard. McCarthy needed to find a way to better utilize Cobb as a way to develop a better ball-control offense, since we don't have a running game capable of doing it. I saw some signs of the things necessary last night...but more of those things during the season would've been nice.

Nice post and I totally agree with the balance of what you observed.

Our team needs a new blueprint.

Joemailman
01-13-2013, 09:21 AM
They played worse, but the O did not help. They scored 17 points while the game was in doubt.

The man coverage is a good question. They bracketed Vernon Davis but otherwise were in a lot of single coverage. They obviously wanted to blitz the young QB. He made mincemeat out of it all night with his running. Once the pass rush stopped running past Kapernick, there was little pressure.

Because the defense couldn't get off the field, the offense had the ball for about 20 minutes while the game was in doubt. 17 points in 20 minutes is pretty respectable against a good defense. They just needed the ball more.

denverYooper
01-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Chicken - Egg - Chicken?

HarveyWallbangers
01-13-2013, 09:27 AM

I agree with this, and I think the losses of Bishop, Smith, and Perry really hurt. Matthews is a stud, Bishop is good, Smith looked like a keeper, jury is out on Perry. This position could be fixed just by getting people healthy, but I'd draft one or two more to protect myself.

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 09:31 AM

NO it has to be shared.

Does our 'D' have anything to do with **3rd down efficiency on 'O' ? How did **that** compare to the 49ers?

Try 41% for the Packers Vs 61% for the 49ers.

Does offensive game planning have anything to do with our 'D'?

Our 'O' had to take heat off of the Packer 'D' and failed to do so. Check out the 'Time Of Possession' stat. Is our 'D' that bad that the unbalance in that statistic could be so great?

49ers 38:01 Vs Packers 21:59. That disparity is huge.

denverYooper
01-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Troy-boy did make a somewhat interesting comment that Greg Roman worked with Capers on the Carolina staff and knew pretty well how Dom would try to respond to plays.

It's not the first time I've heard that sentiment.

Joemailman
01-13-2013, 09:42 AM
NO it has to be shared.

Does our 'D' have anything to do with **3rd down efficiency on 'O' ? How did **that** compare to the 49ers?

Try 41% for the Packers Vs 61% for the 49ers.

Does offensive game planning have anything to do with our 'D'?

Our 'O' had to take heat off of the Packer 'D' and failed to do so. Check out the 'Time Of Possession' stat. Is our 'D' that bad that the unbalance in that statistic could be so great?

49ers 38:01 Vs Packers 21:59. That disparity is huge.

Woody, I don't know if you know this, but converting 41% on 3rd down is quite good. The league average is 38%. Allowing 61% is horrendous. The worst teams in the NFL this year allowed 44%.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Troy-boy did make a somewhat interesting comment that Greg Roman worked with Capers on the Carolina staff and knew pretty well how Dom would try to respond to plays.

It's not the first time I've heard that sentiment.

That was a long time ago. Almost as long ago as Fangio (San Fran DC) working for Capers.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 10:03 AM
I agree with this, and I think the losses of Bishop, Smith, and Perry really hurt. Matthews is a stud, Bishop is good, Smith looked like a keeper, jury is out on Perry. This position could be fixed just by getting people healthy, but I'd draft one or two more to protect myself.

I agree with LB being the biggest concern.

But D line is still not far behind. Was it Wilson who graded out spectacularly well in run D a year ago (or more) to everyone's surprise? By splitting 3-4 and 4-3 D line depth, the run D isn't going to get better up front and depth isn't likely to improve either. Daniels and Worthy are ready for base D yet.

Packers4Glory
01-13-2013, 10:38 AM
"I think when the game is going the way it is, you have to try something different," Woodson said. "It's hard to just continue to do the same thing over and over again when they continue to burn you.

"Going forward, we have to look at could we have done something different."

Pugger
01-13-2013, 11:40 AM
It didn't help that MM abandoned the run yet again last night. Harris was averaging 4.8 yards against that defense but I don't recall seeing him in the backfield in the 3rd quarter. Why we didn't keep giving it to him in that first series in the second half when were only down by 3 is a puzzlement to me.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 11:56 AM

The interesting thing here is that the Packers could be looking at doing something other than Woodson. He is not good at deep safety and he is not built to survive as a SS. At his cap number, he is a luxury.

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Woody, I don't know if you know this, but converting 41% on 3rd down is quite good. The league average is 38%. Allowing 61% is horrendous. The worst teams in the NFL this year allowed 44%.

I concede to your observation based on the seasonal stat for 3rd down conversions. 41% efficiency would fit with the top third of the NFL teams on 3rd down efficiency.

Yes 61 % conversion by the 49ers was abnormally high by some 12-13% (See N. E. Pat's @ a league best 48.7 %).

Rutnstrut
01-13-2013, 12:16 PM

Even if one wouldn't have to take a pay cut, it will NEVER happen. TT will not let it.

Rutnstrut
01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
It didn't help that MM abandoned the run yet again last night. Harris was averaging 4.8 yards against that defense but I don't recall seeing him in the backfield in the 3rd quarter. Why we didn't keep giving it to him in that first series in the second half when were only down by 3 is a puzzlement to me.

I said that last night in the game thread, the run was working but dumbass MM abandoned it yet again. It's like sometimes if he can't win his way, he says fuck winning.

Old School
01-13-2013, 12:47 PM
We can bemoan the inadequacies of the Packer D while the broadcast windsocks declare the read option the new sliced bread of the NFL. My take is that Alex Smith is one jarring tackle away from being the starting QB for the 9ers once again. A lot of people are suffering from short term RGIII memory loss.

MJZiggy
01-13-2013, 12:57 PM
We can bemoan the inadequacies of the Packer D while the broadcast windsocks declare the read option the new sliced bread of the NFL. My take is that Alex Smith is one jarring tackle away from being the starting QB for the 9ers once again. A lot of people are suffering from short term RGIII memory loss.Kaepernick did take one or two nasty hits last night that were I a Niners fan would have had me panicking. One in particular where he got great yardage, but two of our guys sandwiched him at the end.

PackerBlues
01-13-2013, 01:09 PM
agreed, all of these "read option" / running QB's are one good hit away from being high paid bench warmers......they never last for very long.

George Cumby
01-13-2013, 01:27 PM
It's Sunday. Fire Capers!

pittstang5
01-13-2013, 01:34 PM
It's Sunday. Fire Capers!

So if Capers is fired, although something tells me he won't be, who do we want? I'd like the D-Coordinator from Arizona, his name excapes me. But I think he might be a candidate for the head coach job down there or he might not want to leave. If he is let go, I want him here!

Promoting within is no good to me, I want new blood.

George Cumby
01-13-2013, 02:10 PM
So if Capers is fired, although something tells me he won't be, who do we want? I'd like the D-Coordinator from Arizona, his name excapes me. But I think he might be a candidate for the head coach job down there or he might not want to leave. If he is let go, I want him here!

Good question. If he does get fired, do we stay 3-4 or go 4-3? I don't buy that CMIII can only play in a 3-4, a player is a player. Do we promote from within? Perry is supposedly very well thought of but his safeties played no better than anyone else last nite.

Decisions, decisions. Or for us fans, waiting and more waiting whilst wailing and gnashing our teeth.

LEWCWA
01-13-2013, 02:22 PM
CK seems to be built for this shit though. RGIII looks small compared to this kid.

As far as the D goes, I was or am shocked that Woodson seemed pretty invisible last night. Woodson was all over the place against MN, but nowhere last night. I figured Woodson would be the guy to counter CK running, but that never happened! Seems they wanted to make sure he didn't torch them through the air and that didn't work out so well. He was really pretty avg through the air....this team should have dared him to win with his arm and had Woodson spying him all night. He is alright throwing the ball, but not great. That muffed punt really put this team in a bad spot. time of possesion was already tilted due to the pick 6.

denverYooper
01-13-2013, 02:22 PM

Horton. The Cards aren't going to let him go.

Rutnstrut
01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
agreed, all of these "read option" / running QB's are one good hit away from being high paid bench warmers......they never last for very long.

They seem to last plenty long against the Packers.

Cheesehead Craig
01-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Well, Donatell got fired for 4th and 26 and that was one play, I'd think Capers get fired for what happened for an entire game yesterday.

rbaloha1
01-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Well, Donatell got fired for 4th and 26 and that was one play, I'd think Capers get fired for what happened for an entire game yesterday.

Yup -- my thoughts exactly.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 10:24 PM

That was an idiotic firing. It wasn't until Bates (all of one year and an outmoded scheme to boot) that Sherman fixed that error. Donatell wasn't the second coming of Bud Carson, but he ran a good, solid D. Sherman panicked and made an emotional decision in this case. par for the course with him as he always acted like one decision held the key to all problems.

mraynrand
01-14-2013, 07:24 AM
That was an idiotic firing. It wasn't until Bates (all of one year and an outmoded scheme to boot) that Sherman fixed that error. Donatell wasn't the second coming of Bud Carson, but he ran a good, solid D. Sherman panicked and made an emotional decision in this case. par for the course with him as he always acted like one decision held the key to all problems.

Donatell is sitting there are D backs coach for the niners, probably greatly enjoying the victory. It's probably significant that he - I think - had one more brief stint as D-coor, before going back to a position coach. Maybe that's the appropriate level for him. Will be interesting to see if he is promoted if Fangio gets hired away - either by Fangio as part of a new staff or by the Niners if he stays.

hoosier
01-14-2013, 07:47 AM

Sherman panicked and quickly found a scapegoat.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Hope MM finds a scapegoat quickly. That performance was unacceptable.

Enough excuses about personnel, etc. -- as MM says -- it is an accountability league.

3irty1
01-14-2013, 07:56 AM
The issue might not be the scheme as much as it is the play-calling. If Capers were to get canned, the best solution might be to promote Winston Moss or another one of his understudies. Then we could keep the basic architecture of our scheme in place.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 08:00 AM
The issue might not be the scheme as much as it is the play-calling. If Capers were to get canned, the best solution might be to promote Winston Moss or another one of his understudies. Then we could keep the basic architecture of our scheme in place.

Moss would be good since toughness, hitting and fundamentals need to be preached and reinforced as per Bishop.

denverYooper
01-14-2013, 08:47 AM

See, this might be the most viable path *if* Capers gets let go. It might not be the most popular decision but maybe they just need to keep the architecture in place and promote someone with some fresh innovations to be applied to it. With Bish, Perry, and some of the other walking wounded back, this D could look quite a bit different with a handful of players and some fresh ideas.

denverYooper
01-14-2013, 08:57 AM
As far as the article goes, it just boils down all of the Packer fan ranting that has been going on. There's nothing really informative there, except that Bishop was the only one they were able to get ahold of yesterday (a fact over which much harumphing was done on Twitter).

It's funny that 'spoon played the finesse angle and discounted all of the players that were thought to be of that mold. Manning? Injured. Perry? Injured. McMillan? Too short. Bishop? Injured, etc, etc. Heyward is a finesse guy (and a candidate for DROY, but that doesn't count because he's too finess-y). Worthy, Neal, and Daniels are "finesse" guys, ignoring the fact that they have been injured and/or haven't developed yet. With a good offseason and healthy season, those guys could be exactly what they need to handle running QBs.

What a bunch of rubbish.

Ha. Just posted this in the wrong thread. Supposed to be in the Critical changes thread but Patler covered it in spades there.

mraynrand
01-14-2013, 01:33 PM

If that's true, why hasn't Ed been a DC ever since? Maybe Donatell really isn't all that great a DC.

mraynrand
01-14-2013, 01:34 PM
As far as the article goes, it just boils down all of the Packer fan ranting that has been going on. There's nothing really informative there, except that Bishop was the only one they were able to get ahold of yesterday (a fact over which much harumphing was done on Twitter).

It's funny that 'spoon played the finesse angle and discounted all of the players that were thought to be of that mold. Manning? Injured. Perry? Injured. McMillan? Too short. Bishop? Injured, etc, etc. Heyward is a finesse guy (and a candidate for DROY, but that doesn't count because he's too finess-y). Worthy, Neal, and Daniels are "finesse" guys, ignoring the fact that they have been injured and/or haven't developed yet. With a good offseason and healthy season, those guys could be exactly what they need to handle running QBs.

What a bunch of rubbish.

Ha. Just posted this in the wrong thread. Supposed to be in the Critical changes thread but Patler covered it in spades there.

you are a finesse poster

hoosier
01-14-2013, 02:34 PM
If that's true, why hasn't Ed been a DC ever since? Maybe Donatell really isn't all that great a DC.
I wouldn't say he was great, just that the loss to Philly wasn't primarily his fault: Sherman could have avoided it if he had been more aggressive earlier, and, if I remember correctly, he reportedly overrode Donatell's decision to blitz McNabb on 4th down. Donatell wasn't fired for his faults, whatever they might have been, he was fired (scapegoated) because of 4th and 26.

mraynrand
01-14-2013, 03:09 PM
I agree that Sherman threw him under the bus. But it's also possible he wasn't all that good as coordinator. Like I said above, it will be interesting what happens to him after the Niner run is over. There is also a possibility he will reprise his role as holo Doctor aboard the Voyager.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wash/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/1784166.jpeghttp://boards.420chan.org/tg/thumb/1350122398642s.jpg

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Send that post in 'memo form' to MM... please.

pbmax
01-14-2013, 04:50 PM

I think he was DC once more, wasn't he? It was a short term deal though.

Bub
01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Moss would be good since toughness, hitting and fundamentals need to be preached and reinforced as per Bishop.

I don't understand the love for Moss. His unit was terrible. The same can be said for Perry.

Joemailman
01-14-2013, 05:18 PM
I don't understand the love for Moss. His unit was terrible. The same can be said for Perry.

It's not Moss's fault he was stuck with Brad Jones as a starter. Losing Bishop and D.J. Smith was too much to overcome.

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 05:25 PM
It's not Moss's fault he was stuck with Brad Jones as a starter. Losing Bishop and D.J. Smith was too much to overcome.

Losing Desmond Bishop looks huge now. Personally I didn't acquire enough first hand info on D. J. Smith to get into any conversation on his value at LBer.

Patler
01-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Re: Winston Moss

Notice that after a flurry of attention a few years ago for HC and DC openings (and several interviews, I think?), his name is never mentioned for those types of openings anymore?

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 06:09 PM
There is this and 'the BIG GAME' in the playoffs:

In the Packers' last three playoff losses, Green Bay has allowed 51, 37 and 45 points or an average of 44 points/game.

Aaron Rodgers and his offense, need to get more than 6 TD's to cover that.

Bub
01-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Losing Desmond Bishop looks huge now. Personally I didn't acquire enough first hand info on D. J. Smith to get into any conversation on his value at LBer.

Sure Bishop is better than what we put on the field but it's not like our ILBs have been a powerhouse by any means. Even the few times Bishop has been healthy our ILBs haven't been good. Collectively the defense has been garbage. There’s no way we should have given up 300+ yards to SF and over 500 in 3 games to AP on the ground. A lot of that falls on the ILBs in a 3/4.

The same with Perry. How many times have there been "mis-communications" in the secondary? I don't see that happen all that much with the teams that we've played. Our young DBs were impressive this year individually but collectively coverage breakdowns were abundant. I think that falls on the coaches...mostly Whitt (sp?) and Perry.

Sorry....I must be in the mood to bitch (maybe I'm on my period) and I'm working to meet my 2 posts a year quota.

pbmax
01-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Re: Winston Moss

Notice that after a flurry of attention a few years ago for HC and DC openings (and several interviews, I think?), his name is never mentioned for those types of openings anymore?

It seems obvious now, but also seemed possible then, that those were largely cosmetic and to satisfy the Rooney Rule only.

LegandofthePack15
01-15-2013, 08:44 AM
I think he was DC once more, wasn't he? It was a short term deal though.

Donatell went to the lost city of Atlanta and coordinated the defense under Jim Mora the 2nd for 3 seasons. Mora and his entire coaching staff were canned shortly after the feds unjustly sent Mike Vick to prison for killing a bunch of animals (who hasn't?) and gambling across state lines (who hasn't?).

woodbuck27
01-15-2013, 09:23 AM

You want to see Dom Capers FIRED!?

Is that a logical move based in the results of an exit playoff game this season? Does the blame for that ugly loss fall on the lap of Dom Capers? IMO the reasons of that loss have to be carefully evaluated before hasty decisions are made.

You would wash away a season of definite progress for the Packers 'D' because of one playoff game? Why ??

Why didn't MM and TT get that done (FIRE - Dom Capers) after the terrible season we saw the Packers have on 'D' last season?

Last season our 'D was last in the NFL in yards passing and total yards allowed. MM and TT stood by Dom Capers and the Packers 'D' improved dramatically in those categories from an NFL 32nd position to and NFL 11th position. We saw improvements also in our pass rush and ability to get to the QB in terms of a dramatic increase in SACKS.

I've prepared the statistics below for your analysis:

2011 Season:

Points allowed = 22.4 ..............(19th) .............. 2012 Season.... 21.0....(11th)

Total Yards/Game = 411.6 .......(32nd)............... 2012 Season....336.8....(11th)

Rushing Yards/game = 111.8.....(14th) ................2012 Season....118.5...(17th)

Passing Yards/game = 299.8......(32nd).................2012 Season....218.3...(11th)

SACKS = 29 ..........................(T-27th)...............2012 Season.....47.......(4th)

I believe that it would be a radical and unjust move for MM and TT to release Dom Capers if he desires to continue as the Packer DC. The great improvement in our teams defense this season; especialy given the fact of so many injuries and the injection of youth. Should stand for another vote of confidence for DC Dom Capers.

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
01-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Sure Bishop is better than what we put on the field but it's not like our ILBs have been a powerhouse by any means. Even the few times Bishop has been healthy our ILBs haven't been good. Collectively the defense has been garbage. There’s no way we should have given up 300+ yards to SF and over 500 in 3 games to AP on the ground. A lot of that falls on the ILBs in a 3/4.

The same with Perry. How many times have there been "mis-communications" in the secondary? I don't see that happen all that much with the teams that we've played. Our young DBs were impressive this year individually but collectively coverage breakdowns were abundant. I think that falls on the coaches...mostly Whitt (sp?) and Perry.

Sorry....I must be in the mood to bitch (maybe I'm on my period) and I'm working to meet my 2 posts a year quota.

:lol:

You make valid points in terms of the teams play at LBer.

I just feel that after that loss to the 49ers it would be prudent to take a step back. Take some time for careful overall team assessment, rather than leap ahead and make dramatic moves. I'm certainly not convinced that FIRING Dom Capers is a step in the right direction. I believe our defensive issues are related to size and strength of personnel and playmaking talent/skills. That the Packers need more time to develop the newer players and cut and replace some deadwood with more skilled players.

Maybe this approach will take some time but using it gives us the best chance to get back to a Super Bowl.

GO PACKERS !

Cheesehead Craig
01-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Woody,

My comment was partially tongue in cheek in bringing up Donatell. It was a total knee jerk scapegoat reaction. It was to show that the Packers have fired a DC for less of an infraction than Capers has committed, plus it was a blatant move to rile some folks up (sorry pb).

However, there is something to be said about how Capers' unit is either very successful or simply gets blown out. There really hasn't been any consistency to his defenses. Last year it was horrible, the year before outstanding and this year it was slightly above average. Why is there no consistency here? This is year 4 of his "reign" so to speak and we still don't know from week to week what we're going to see.

Where Capers isn't very good at is if his original defensive plan isn't working, he seems either hesitent or unwilling to change his plan. He doesn't react well to the unexpected. That has been noted here on this board and elsewhere.

Then there's the playoffs. Players and coaches are ultimately graded on how they perfrom at that time. This is what they are playing for, to win in the playoffs. Capers has had one good playoff year, that was 2 yrs ago. In 2009 the Cardinals shredded the D, in 2010 everything clicked, in 2011 the Giants dominated the D, and this season the 49ers obliterated his D. I don't think I'm using too much hyperbole here when describing those losses. So in 4 playoffs, Capers has been embarrassed 3 times, all 3 of those were the first games in the playoffs. If his units play at least competently in any of those years, with the offense the Packers have they are in the SB at least one other season if not two. I don't think I'm stretching with that statement at all.

Should Capers be fired? I think it's a legit topic and something that should be seriously considered. However unlike the Donatell firing where there was no real plan in place afterwards, the Packers should look and see if there are several DCs capable of running a successful 3-4 defense and that there is a very good chance that we could hire at least one of them prior to firing Capers.

woodbuck27
01-15-2013, 10:15 AM
:lol:

My post to Bub:

You make valid points in terms of the teams play at LBer.

I just feel that after that loss to the 49ers it would be prudent to take a step back. Take some time for careful overall team assessment, rather than leap ahead and make dramatic moves. I'm certainly not convinced that FIRING Dom Capers is a step in the right direction. I believe our defensive issues are related to size and strength of personnel and playmaking talent/skills. That the Packers need more time to develop the newer players and cut and replace some deadwood with more skilled players.

Maybe this approach will take some time but using it gives us the best chance to get back to a Super Bowl.

GO PACKERS !

" One more superstud, ** an inside player, I think would be enough to put us in the elite defensive category (and that's assuming Hayward turns into an elite ball hawk inside (something that's far from proven.)

Long story short, Thompson has his work cut out for him, and Capers pretty much is taking the blame for somethings that were just bad circumstance (losing Collins) and other things that just weren't good enough (Thompson not getting star players to replace Wood and Collins. It's a tough job, but if the Packers want to win SB's, TT is going to have to be the best GM in football. Unfortunately, that's not an easy thing to be. . . . We might not win another, and TT might be gone a few years from now. We might win another, and he could retire on his terms. Players win football games, and now Thompson has to show his mettle once again. It's all on him. " Justin Harrel

I agree with the above poster ... JH.

The main task of a GM must be to try to make his team stronger every day of the year. Every day he must be looking for some way to achieve that focus and goal.

TT has to try to find a player that somehow better measures up to what we enjoyed in FS Nick Collins. Even the player he became wasn't just an overnight thing. Nick Collins had to develop into an NFL star.

I've been paying attention to this fella. How about drafting a player like Minnesota's FS Harrison Smith? This former Notre Dame Team Captain was drafted 29th overall. This 2012 Rookie has an excellent shot at being DROY. They love his skills and contribution in Minny.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1442028-nfl-why-harrison-smith-is-the-defensive-rookie-of-the-year

Would we be better with 'a Chad Greenway type' on our roster at LBer? I like the way this Viking plays his position.

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
01-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Woody,

My comment was partially tongue in cheek in bringing up Donatell. It was a total knee jerk scapegoat reaction. It was to show that the Packers have fired a DC for less of an infraction than Capers has committed, plus it was a blatant move to rile some folks up (sorry pb).

However, there is something to be said about how Capers' unit is either very successful or simply gets blown out. There really hasn't been any consistency to his defenses. Last year it was horrible, the year before outstanding and this year it was slightly above average. Why is there no consistency here? This is year 4 of his "reign" so to speak and we still don't know from week to week what we're going to see.

Where Capers isn't very good at is if his original defensive plan isn't working, he seems either hesitent or unwilling to change his plan. He doesn't react well to the unexpected. That has been noted here on this board and elsewhere.

Then there's the playoffs. Players and coaches are ultimately graded on how they perfrom at that time. This is what they are playing for, to win in the playoffs. Capers has had one good playoff year, that was 2 yrs ago. In 2009 the Cardinals shredded the D, in 2010 everything clicked, in 2011 the Giants dominated the D, and this season the 49ers obliterated his D. I don't think I'm using too much hyperbole here when describing those losses. So in 4 playoffs, Capers has been embarrassed 3 times, all 3 of those were the first games in the playoffs. If his units play at least competently in any of those years, with the offense the Packers have they are in the SB at least one other season if not two. I don't think I'm stretching with that statement at all.

Should Capers be fired? I think it's a legit topic and something that should be seriously considered. However unlike the Donatell firing where there was no real plan in place afterwards, the Packers should look and see if there are several DCs capable of running a successful 3-4 defense and that there is a very good chance that we could hire at least one of them prior to firing Capers.

We are members of Packerrats, and best so IMO, to learn from one another.

I wanted to digest this post and reflect upon it some more 'before responding fully', but here goes.

You bring up certain outstanding points Cheesehead Craig.

A) "there is something to be said about how Capers' unit is either very successful or simply gets blown out. There really hasn't been any consistency to his defenses. Last year it was horrible, the year before outstanding and this year it was slightly above average. Why is there no consistency here? This is year 4 of his "reign" so to speak and we still don't know from week to week what we're going to see. "
Cheesehead Craig

Our defense was certainly elite in the 2010 season. We suffered alot of adversity that season (injuries); but Ted Thompson filled capably. We got key players back to decent health; jelled, pushed and won a Super Bowl, with the outstanding help of an elite and mature offense.

In 2011 the wheels fell off of our 'D'. How valuable a player was Nick Colins to us?

3 × Pro Bowl (2008, 2009, 2010); 3 × Second-Team All-Pro (2008, 2009, 2010)

How valuable was the play of Charles Woodson to us?

All-Pro 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011; AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year (2009);NFC Defensive Player of the Year (2009)

Nick Collins was gone early last season. Charles Woodson, many feel is in decline.

We've discovered the impact of losing Cullen Jenkins and Johnny Jolly on our DL. We've seen Ted Thompson draft to better secure an effective DL in last year's (2012) draft.

Over the last three seasons we're enjoying seeing improvements in the success of our secondary in the regular season. The playoffs is a whole different cup of tea. The playoffs mean 'the BIG BOYS' !

To play with the BIG BOYS you need 'a team with more BIG BOYS', than as I view it; the Green Pay Packers presently have.

B) " In 2009 the Cardinals shredded the D, in 2010 everything clicked, in 2011 the Giants dominated the D, and this season the 49ers obliterated his D. I don't think I'm using too much hyperbole here when describing those losses. So in 4 playoffs, Capers has been embarrassed 3 times, all 3 of those were the first games in the playoffs. If his units play at least competently in any of those years, with the offense the Packers have they are in the SB at least one other season if not two. I don't think I'm stretching with that statement at all. " Cheesehead Craig

We certainly saw the Aaron Rodgers led offense put up alot of points in that Arizona Cardinals loss. That Arizona Cardinals went to the Super Bowl and nearly won it that year.

The reason that we were out classed in those loss's is because the teams that defeated us had the personal to get the job done and determine a gameplan to success. On the day of those Packer loss's. The Green Bay Packers faced a team with solid talent and a higher destiny. Last year the New York GIANTS won the Super Bowl.

Compare the number of Pro Bowlers this season that the San Fran 49ers have representing their team Vs 'the same' and the Green Bay Packers. Maybe this season we'll see the San Francisco 49ers go to and win a Super Bowl !? This is a very solid team. They defeated us twice this season and once in Lambeau Field. That impressive win last Saturday night; was more a mark of the prowess of the San Fran 49ers team, than a reflection of hiow bad the Green Bay Packers are. Obviously, that team had our number this season.

That fact doesn't remove or spare us the shock ! That shock doesn't need to translate to removing or FIRING Dom Capers.

TT and MM; the coaching staff and teams scouts must simply analyze, digest and come up with a sulution. I believe that solution is translated in terms of better/stronger, more talented players. Better defensive players for Dom Capers to work with.

As Packer fans we also need to see our team get a better break in terms of adversity. We saw way too many lost games among our best players or starters. We also saw a plus in terms of a trade off. Players that might have spent more time 'on the pine', got valuable game experience.

Again, we need to see the Green Bay Packers get a better break 'in terms of adversity'. That impacts the team certainly, as the playoffs get closer in terms of a team jelling, adjusting and gaining confidence in one another's roles. Team cohesion.

We the Packer fans have so much more to learn from in a Packer loss than possibly a win. There can 'only' be one winner. Again this time it wasn't our side.

I hope that The Packer leaders in Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy have what it takes to get it right 'the right way'.

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
01-15-2013, 11:33 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/52340/bbao-arguing-to-keep-dom-capers

BBAO: Arguing to keep Dom Capers

" Coach Mike McCarthy is scheduled to meet with reporters Tuesday at 5 p.m. ET. Assistant coaches will follow. I'm not sure if there is anything to be read into the timing of their availability, but generally speaking, teams don't put assistant coaches in position to speak publicly if their futures are truly in question. " Fr. LINK above

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130114/PKR07/301140327/Green-Bay-Packers-DC-Dom-Capers-should-stay?nclick_check=1

Mike Vandermause column: Capers should stay ... 7:14 PM, Jan 14, 2013

Vandermause: "[T]his is no time for an emotional, knee-jerk over-reaction. Capers should be judged by his large body of work, not a handful of games. This is the same defensive coordinator who played a major role two years ago in the Packers' Super Bowl championship by coaching up a patchwork, injury-plagued unit." Fr. LINK above

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125399/article/colin-kaepernick-sets-record-san-francisco-49ers-win

" (Colin) Kaepernick rushed for an NFL-record 181 yards and two touchdowns on just 16 attempts, including two kneel-downs. He threw for another 263 yards and two scores on 31 attempts. To put it another way: Kaepernick gained more yards than the entire Packers team. And it wasn't even close.

Green Bay's defense simply had no answer for Kaepernick's speed and running ability. After an early interception returned for a touchdown, the 49ers ripped off six touchdowns and a field goal in their next nine drives. When the Packers tied the score at 24 early in the second half, the 49ers answered with three long touchdown drives.

The 49ers were too physical for the Packers on both sides of the ball.

It's hard to watch Kaepernick's performance and not think that the quarterback position is changing.

Players like Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Robert Griffin III and Cam Newton won't reinvent the game. But there is no denying that teams are doing a better job using these quarterbacks' unique, multifaceted skill sets early in their careers. The NFL is infamously conservative, but it is also a league of evolution. Kaepernick's strong arm, blinding speed and San Francisco's creative offense looks a little different than anything we've seen." Fr. LINK

Comment woodbuck27:

Why were so many of us fans; so many Green Bay Packer players 'in SHOCK' !?

Colin Kaepernick's performance against us was historical. Who would have predicted that amazing performance?

Our defense didn't have 'the answer' and I believe that was to 'attack' the QB throught 'the alley'...up the center. To penetrate the 49ers backfield and effectively attack Colin Kaepernick. Put a pile of pressure on him.

a) The 49ers have a solid OL.

b) The blitz packages just didn't cut the mustard and as a result of them we became vulnerable to Colin Kaepernick's speed.

4.53 Second - 40 Yard speed. He's FAST !

mraynrand
01-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Kap is what everyone feared McNabb and Vick would be - and Cam Newton can be also - a very swift running QB with a great arm. Like Steve Young in his prime, with a strong O-line, a running game, and the League's best/second best defense. If Kap continues to develop and continues to throw accurate deep as well as short, the Niners could be tough to beat for half a decade or more, barring injury.

KYPack
01-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Kap is what everyone feared McNabb and Vick would be - and Cam Newton can be also - a very swift running QB with a great arm. Like Steve Young in his prime, with a strong O-line, a running game, and the League's best/second best defense. If Kap continues to develop and continues to throw accurate deep as well as short, the Niners could be tough to beat for half a decade or more, barring injury.

Wow Rand is getting to be the voice of reason around here.

Before we shoot Capers in the back of his bald head, let's see what Falcon DC Mike Nolan does.

Cam Newton killed the Falcons’ defense twice this year. He completed 38-of-59 passes for 502 yards, 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. He also ran for 202 yards and 2 touchdowns. Russel Wilson passed for 385 and added 60 running.

Will CK have similar success?

Freak Out
01-15-2013, 02:17 PM
I think so....I think the Niners kill them this weekend.

woodbuck27
01-16-2013, 04:04 PM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mike-McCarthy-says-everything-will-be-evaluated/8dc505b2-7d1a-4154-813e-17f6be9269e9

GREEN BAY— " ...Mike McCarthy delivered a strong vote of confidence to Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers in his season-ending press conference on Tuesday, but stopped short of making it official.

“I’m not making any decisions, but I feel very confident that Dom Capers is going to be our defensive coordinator,” McCarthy said.

“I have great, great faith and respect for Dom Capers and all of our coaches, but everything top to bottom will be evaluated.” ..." FR. Link

denverYooper
01-17-2013, 09:50 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-keep-defensive-coordinator-guessing-4200832.php

mraynrand
01-17-2013, 11:17 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-keep-defensive-coordinator-guessing-4200832.php

No, things didn't go too well for Green Bay defensive coordinator Dom Capers, whose unit was shredded for 444 total yards and four touchdowns by Kaepernick in Saturday's 45-31 playoff loss at Candlestick.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-keep-defensive-coordinator-guessing-4200832.php#ixzz2IFojCVbE

Thank God it was only 444. I thought it was 575. They played better than I thought. The loss must be the fault of the offense not scoring a TD on every possession in the second half.

woodbuck27
01-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Thank God it was only 444. I thought it was 575. They played better than I thought. The loss must be the fault of the offense not scoring a TD on every possession in the second half.

Colin Kaepernick, personally burnt our 'D' for 444 yards (263 passing, 181 rushing) and 4 TD's ( 2 passing and 2 rushing).

The total offense for the San Fran 49ers in that 45-31 drubbing was 'a total net' 579 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013011201/2012/POST19/packers@49ers#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

swede
01-17-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mike-McCarthy-says-everything-will-be-evaluated/8dc505b2-7d1a-4154-813e-17f6be9269e9

“I’m not making any decisions, but I feel very confident that Dom Capers is going to be our defensive coordinator,” McCarthy said.

He's not making any decisions about his defensive coordinator?

Is this a preamble to, "Sorry, Dom, it wasn't my decision"? I doubt that.

Or is this mere diplomatic blather covering up the fact that he believes the players screwed up, doesn't want to call them out publicly, and that every position in his little coaching brotherhood is nice and safe? I fear this. But maybe it is simply blather. That may be the best take on this baffling quote.

Because could it be true that he does he not make any decisions? I doubt that. Is Ted that much of an emperor? It has always seemed that consensus was important to Teddy.

woodbuck27
01-17-2013, 12:10 PM

Or is this mere diplomatic blather covering up the fact that he believes the players screwed up, doesn't want to call them out publicly, and that every position in his little coaching brotherhood is nice and safe? I fear this. But maybe it is simply blather. That may be the best take on this baffling quote.

Because could it be true that he does he not make any decisions? I doubt that. Is Ted that much of an emperor? It has always seemed that consensus was important to Teddy.

I'm waiting for the story to come out RE: Where were 'all the defensive players ' ...'absent'; when the rest of the team were cleaning out their lockers etc.

Could this fact be still raw and somehow embarassing/awkward to MM at the time of his final press conference? Maybe we'll never know. :grin:

mraynrand
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM

I don't really care what Stubby says at a press conference. What matters is action and results on the field. Maybe the results of the game are an indictment against Capers and he should be gone. They'll make that decision regardless of whatever Stubby shovels at his presser.

mraynrand
01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Colin Kaepernick, personally burnt our 'D' for 444 yards (263 passing, 181 rushing) and 4 TD's ( 2 passing and 2 rushing).

The total offense for the San Fran 49ers in that 45-31 drubbing was 'a total net' 579 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013011201/2012/POST19/packers@49ers#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

It's an important distinction. Good thing the writers differentiated between the yards Kap was 'directly' responsible for, and all the rest. :roll:

pbmax
01-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Could be Ted's involved, but there is a less intriguing explanation. He got asked this line of questioning twice, once to open the session and then Wilde brought it up again at the end and flat out asked "Will Dom Capers be returning as DC?".

McCarthy had been repeating his mantra of going through the process. Met with players already and Special Teams coaches, Defense will be tomorrow, then Offense. Told em he knew how to judge player comments to separate emotional stuff from substantive. During the first line of questioning he basically said to make a decision before the review was dumb and emotional.

But when Wilde asked it directly, he seemed to think he couldn't dodge it again like that without essentially confirming that Capers could be gone depending on the review. Not willing to start that countdown clock, he said the above. Which I took to mean, unless we find something out I am not aware of, he will be back.

Pugger
01-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Maybe it wasn't completely Capers' fault:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2013/word-muth-san-francisco-clinic

denverYooper
01-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Welp.

For those who were interested in Ray Horton, he's now out in AZ. Arians brought in his own guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/report-horton-out-bowles-in-as-cardinals-defensive-coordinator/

mraynrand
01-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Who?

George Cumby
01-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Maybe it wasn't completely Capers' fault:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2013/word-muth-san-francisco-clinic

So the Niners kicked our asses. I take virtually no comfort in that. :smile:

Smidgeon
01-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Welp.

For those who were interested in Ray Horton, he's now out in AZ. Arians brought in his own guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/report-horton-out-bowles-in-as-cardinals-defensive-coordinator/

I saw that too. Don't know enough to know if he'd be Lovie Smith good though...

LegandofthePack15
01-18-2013, 06:11 AM
Who?

Middle-aged man with cornrows. I bet you have said 'get a haircut and grow up, hippie!' more than once in your life. :-o

http://prod.static.cardinals.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/ARI/photos/person/coach-cards/HortonActionCard.jpg

rbaloha1
01-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Capers continually makes excuses without taking accountability for poor game planning and management.

DC sounds like someone ready to get released.