PDA

View Full Version : Offense Versus 49ers

pbmax
01-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Can't sleep until get this thought out of my head.

McCarthy got the matchup he wanted in the first half. He spread out the 49ers with Harris in a one back setup and got the 49ers in nickel and dime. This is the D that killed them in Game 1 of the season. This time they ran well against it, including the one marvelous drive. Got 21 points, though the last TD was mainly on Rodgers arm plus Shields INT.

Second half as he probably hoped, he got the Niner base D to counter the surprising run game and saw Cover 2. They then could not block Willis on blitzes and could not complete passes against the vanilla coverage.

What the hell is wrong with this offense against that D? And when the same problems cropped up, why didn't Harris come back in?

Finally a game where the run game should have setup the passing game and the doors fell off. For all the problems the D had, their offense did them few favors.

packers11
01-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Not going to hijack your thread... But I at first too was going to nit pick the offense, but I realized... The last 4 years (besides Superbowl)... Does Rodgers need to put up 50 every game to win??? We are almost too spoiled offensivley because of how accustomed we are to a bad defense...

See the 2010 Giants... Or 2007 Giants... They held the Patriots to 17 and 14 pts (the greatest offense ever)...

/rant off

pbmax
01-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Not going to hijack your thread... But I at first too was going to nit pick the offense, but I realized... The last 4 years (besides Superbowl)... Does Rodgers need to put up 50 every game to win??? We are almost too spoiled offensivley because of how accustomed we are to a bad defense...

See the 2010 Giants... Or 2007 Giants... They held the Patriots to 17 and 14 pts (the greatest offense ever)...

/rant off

The bulk of the money and talent on this team are on the offense. So yes, they will need to put up more than 14 meaningful points in playoff games versus a good D. The last TD shouldn't count and Shields gifted them with the rest.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-13-2013, 12:49 AM
They came out in the second half with Cobb in the back field. It got a field goal and a decent drive. Right after that the 49ers scored in seconds. Another punt and they score fast again. I agree with packers11, to win to game they had to score 45+ points. The defense and the turnovers did them in.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-13-2013, 12:52 AM
Also, Rodgers missed some throws and didn't play his best game. I still don't understand the pick.

Pugger
01-13-2013, 02:14 AM
I don't understand why we stopped running the ball with Harris in the second half. Our D was getting gassed chasing their QB all over the field. :-(

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 06:33 AM
I don't understand why we stopped running the ball with Harris in the second half. Our D was getting gassed chasing their QB all over the field. :-(

How many times do you need to see it?

Mike McCarthy! Brain freeze.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 07:04 AM

I understand schematically why they changed. They had success in dictating to the Niners that they could not play nickel or dime and live with the result of the run defense.

But when that stopped happening (even Packfan_in_Maryland's TD was very close to garbage time) it was time to revert.

I can't help but still think Rodgers still isn't comfortable in front of that line and that his line of vision comes down too fast. To some degree this is reasonable given the flux and injuries on the O line. But except for Willis, the O line pass blocked very well.

They did seem to slide protection right toward Barclay and then loop a LB (often Willis) as the fifth rusher, free and clear, around Newhouse, who was sliding away from that edge.

PackerBlues
01-13-2013, 12:25 PM
I really didn't think that the GB offense played that badly (in the first half anyway). We all knew that San Francisco had a tough Defense to score points against. What suprised me, was how the 49'ers Offense managed to make the Packers Defense look like a bunch of freshman high school players.
I do think that the Packers offense should have played better in the second half though. In years past, it almost seemed like a given, that the Offense would make adjustments and come out even stronger in the second half of a game. I just have not seen much of that from the Mike McCarthy coaching staff though.

mraynrand
01-13-2013, 02:01 PM
How many of Willis' rushes came with an empty backfield? That gives the niners an edge that, if they disguise the LB pass rush, they can force a very quick throw. I have to conclude that Rodgers did not figure out the SF LBs, underestimated their speed (both Willis getting to him or another LB getting into double coverage on Finley). The lack of time prevented him from being able to go to the uncovered WR. He got fooled in game one by the LB coverage, and he got fooled again. Also, I don't know if he got fooled by Brown on the INT, didn't see him, or whether he didn't care and just too a shot. recall that Jones caught his deep pass in double coverage. What looked like single coverage turned into double coverage pretty suddenly. The Niners knew what the Packers were trying to do, and had the personnel to mostly stop it.

George Cumby
01-13-2013, 02:02 PM
How many times do you need to see it?

Mike McCarthy! Brain freeze.

I find myself agreeing with crazy old Canuck.

LEWCWA
01-13-2013, 02:48 PM

/rant off

As bad as the D was, the O wasn't all that good last night either....They only really put up 17 points. That isn't enough...They did very little to help turn TOP in the first half and that killed the D going foward! This isn't any excuse for the D getting their ass handed to them all night, but lets not act like the O played well.

LEWCWA
01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
We are seeing how parity works in the NFL....we may never see another true dynasty! Each decade from the 60's through the 90's had a true dynasty type team. They lined up and did what they do, because they were just better than you! 60's Packers didn't do anything special, but win! They lined up and beat you. You knew what they were doing and it wasn't complicated they were just better than you! 70's Steelers same way, our D is going to dominate you. 80's niners tricked up offense a little, but they were just better than their opponents! 90's cowboys--same thing, just better than the competition! Since then any given sunday rings true! You just can't pose your will on the opponent anymore in the NFL. You better be able to adjust what you do, or somebody will make you pay for it.

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 04:14 PM
We are seeing how parity works in the NFL....we may never see another true dynasty! Each decade from the 60's through the 90's had a true dynasty type team. They lined up and did what they do, because they were just better than you! 60's Packers didn't do anything special, but win! They lined up and beat you. You knew what they were doing and it wasn't complicated they were just better than you! 70's Steelers same way, our D is going to dominate you. 80's niners tricked up offense a little, but they were just better than their opponents! 90's cowboys--same thing, just better than the competition! Since then any given sunday rings true! You just can't pose your will on the opponent anymore in the NFL. You better be able to adjust what you do, or somebody will make you pay for it.

In the last decade or so I'd add the New England Patriots. Bill Belichick and Tom Brady have made a solid connection for 'the PAT's'. It will be interesting to see what they do late this afternoon.

gbgary
01-13-2013, 05:10 PM
we need o-line help, another wr, and we need to get back to west coast offense fundamentals. ball control passing, moving the chains. 1st downs before touchdowns.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
How many of Willis' rushes came with an empty backfield? That gives the niners an edge that, if they disguise the LB pass rush, they can force a very quick throw. I have to conclude that Rodgers did not figure out the SF LBs, underestimated their speed (both Willis getting to him or another LB getting into double coverage on Finley). The lack of time prevented him from being able to go to the uncovered WR. He got fooled in game one by the LB coverage, and he got fooled again. Also, I don't know if he got fooled by Brown on the INT, didn't see him, or whether he didn't care and just too a shot. recall that Jones caught his deep pass in double coverage. What looked like single coverage turned into double coverage pretty suddenly. The Niners knew what the Packers were trying to do, and had the personnel to mostly stop it.

Not sure of total. But he beat Kuhn once at least.

rbaloha1
01-13-2013, 09:30 PM
MM was too caught-up in trying to establish the run.

Screw it -- no huddle and run and shoot was the Packers only chance due to the incredible physical mismatch.

JohnMexico
01-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Which RBs are projected in the first round? Im tired of MM trying to install these clowns into the offense. Alex Green was a joke, Starks needs to be let go and really isnt that talented anyway, and Harris is a change of pace guy only.

Teams play us two man deep all damn day just daring us to run and we cant. Kuhn didnt pick up Willis as was earlier said, and he really cant play TBH. If this wasnt Green Bay token whitey doesn't even make an NFL team.

On top of ILB, TT still needs to draft a REAL threat in the backfield. The money used to resign Jennings can also go towards a veteran linebacker in the middle, some mean motherfucker. The lack of talent in such key fucking positions, year after year.... gaaah. I apologize.

As was with 2008, we normally react heavily when we get embarrassed like this, so I anticipate that we will take care of this problem within the next couple of months.

JohnMexico
01-13-2013, 09:45 PM
We do NOT need another wide receiver!! We are such diminishing returns that Its disgusting.

Joemailman
01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
It's a bad year for elite running backs. From what I've read, there will probably be no RB's selected in the 1st round.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 10:25 PM
MM was too caught-up in trying to establish the run.

Screw it -- no huddle and run and shoot was the Packers only chance due to the incredible physical mismatch.

Running in the first half produced 10 points on offense. Passing in the second half produced 7 garbage time points.

ThunderDan
01-13-2013, 10:29 PM
I didn't foucs on the personnel that much in the second half. Did SF make the adjustment at halftime to go to base to stop the Packers run and play 2 deep?

I know they played a lot of nickle in the first half and we ran well.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 10:32 PM
I didn't foucs on the personnel that much in the second half. Did SF make the adjustment at halftime to go to base to stop the Packers run and play 2 deep?

I know they played a lot of nickle in the first half and we ran well.

Yeah. Willis came back in and Packers went with Kuhn, empty or Cobb at RB. They played deep safeties. McCarthy got them (49ers) where he wanted them. but the offense went nowhere anyway.

ThunderDan
01-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Yeah. Willis came back in and Packers went with Kuhn, empty or Cobb at RB. They played deep safeties. McCarthy got them (49ers) where he wanted them. but the offense went nowhere anyway.

My issue with the O this year is that we run a Westcoast O that is more vertical and since 2010 opponents have figured out how to at least slow it down. I thought against the Vikings we used the screens and dump offs to the RB very effectively. I thought our O was going to evolved back to a more traditional Westcoast style in 2012 and didn't.

Joemailman
01-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Running in the first half produced 10 points on offense. Passing in the second half produced 7 garbage time points.

For the record, offense produced 14 points in the 1st half.

pbmax
01-14-2013, 12:42 AM
For the record, offense produced 14 points in the 1st half.

You are right and 10 in the second half seven of that garbage time. I have messed that up more than once since the game. Must be my mind wishing to forget the game.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 07:46 AM

What is your point?

It is a mindset -- the offense needs to attack passing horizontally not vertically with 2 deep.

The Patriots showed the 49ers weakness on defense which the Packers failed to exploit.

Poor game planning on both sides of the ball.

pbmax
01-14-2013, 08:50 AM
What is your point?

It is a mindset -- the offense needs to attack passing horizontally not vertically with 2 deep.

The Patriots showed the 49ers weakness on defense which the Packers failed to exploit.

Poor game planning on both sides of the ball.

My point was that by the 4th Quarter, when passing wasn't working against their base D, they should have gone back to running with 3 WR personnel.

denverYooper
01-14-2013, 09:14 AM
My point was that by the 4th Quarter, when passing wasn't working against their base D, they should have gone back to running with 3 WR personnel.

Which is more like what the Patriots do, no?

It was too bad they swapped Cobb for Harris in the backfield. I suspect that was for theoretically more explosive plays but it didn't amount to much as Cobb was not having the success running that Harris was.

Cheesehead Craig
01-14-2013, 09:41 AM
I don't recall many screens being run, if any. Anyone remember one? Harris appeared to be getting the hang of them and setting up his blockers well.

pbmax
01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Which is more like what the Patriots do, no?

It was too bad they swapped Cobb for Harris in the backfield. I suspect that was for theoretically more explosive plays but it didn't amount to much as Cobb was not having the success running that Harris was.

Yes. And as someone last night made the observation, before Gronk went out that the Patriots two TE/one RB offense was close to becoming a 2 RB offense.

Running an empty backfield makes sense if that guy is dominating, but it makes more sense to get an advantage in coverage. When that wasn't working, time to go back to plan A.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 10:14 AM
The no huddle was critical to keep the niners in base. This allows for more favorable match-ups.

MM needs to trust A-rod more just like Capers needs to trust Woodson more.

pbmax
01-14-2013, 10:17 AM
The no huddle was critical to keep the niners in base. This allows for more favorable match-ups.

MM needs to trust A-rod more just like Capers needs to trust Woodson more.

I would agree with both in the theoretical sense. But it wasn't working in the second half.

sharpe1027
01-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Even when there was no sack, the O-line was getting pushed right into Rodgers. I swear he was trying to throw from a 2 foot by 2 foot "pocket" most of the night.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 10:27 AM
I would agree with both in the theoretical sense. But it wasn't working in the second half.

It needs to start at the beginning of the week until the last snap. Too many coaches are control freaks.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Even when there was no sack, the O-line was getting pushed right into Rodgers. I swear he was trying to throw from a 2 foot by 2 foot "pocket" most of the night.

Shotgun with quick routes. A-rod stated the line held up well.

Deputy Nutz
01-14-2013, 10:43 AM
This offense has gone away from the premises of the west coast offense. The packers run the slant less than five times a game complete less than one per game. The 3 step drop quicks are all but gone under McCarthy and Rodgers. Defenses aren't getting beat deep any more because they don't respect the double move anymore because the Packers don't throw the slant or the out route.

I am certainly not capable of understanding the complexity of running an NFL offense, but it seemed like the slant was always an easy 8 yards that could go for more. Thinking Favre to Jennings in 2008.

The offense just didn't control the football, it seems like a surprise when defenses blitz, or when blitz is read Rodgers is still calling plays down field and ignoring hot routes. It is hard to arguing with the passing production over the past few seasons, but at a certain point against quality opponents in the playoffs the offense seems to leak oil.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 11:00 AM
This offense has gone away from the premises of the west coast offense. The packers run the slant less than five times a game complete less than one per game. The 3 step drop quicks are all but gone under McCarthy and Rodgers. Defenses aren't getting beat deep any more because they don't respect the double move anymore because the Packers don't throw the slant or the out route.

I am certainly not capable of understanding the complexity of running an NFL offense, but it seemed like the slant was always an easy 8 yards that could go for more. Thinking Favre to Jennings in 2008.

The offense just didn't control the football, it seems like a surprise when defenses blitz, or when blitz is read Rodgers is still calling plays down field and ignoring hot routes. It is hard to arguing with the passing production over the past few seasons, but at a certain point against quality opponents in the playoffs the offense seems to leak oil.

Currently during the playoffs the Packers only chance is to outscore opponents.

The offense is only dripping oil -- the defense needs an overhaul.

Deputy Nutz
01-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Currently during the playoffs the Packers only chance is to outscore opponents.

The offense is only dripping oil -- the defense needs an overhaul.

You're a broken record. The offense scored 17 meaningful points. Suck on that. You don't win games scoring 17 points on offense.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 11:07 AM
You're a broken record. The offense scored 17 meaningful points. Suck on that. You don't win games scoring 17 points on offense.

Suck on your own nutz braddah. As A-rod stated -- plays were left on the field. The offense was good the defense was horrible.

The run and shoot and no huddle needed to be the game plan -- not running the ball as Jimmy Johnson pointed out.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 11:08 AM

Some people require remedial help.

Zool
01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
I think my favorite play of the night was 5 wide that had the DB's pointing and looking around. Motion Cobb to the backfield and have him run. Was it 1 yard or 2? Can't remember. Fucking genius.

sharpe1027
01-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Shotgun with quick routes. A-rod stated the line held up well.

Yes, exactly. He had his tackles in his lap even though they were often in shotgun with quick routes.

I did not expect A-rod to say something anything bad about line.

mraynrand
01-14-2013, 01:13 PM

The offense had a solid drive in the second half to tie the game. Three long drives by the Niners put it away. Packers had two meaningful drives in the second half to counter 31-24 and 38-24. So I guess the offense came up empty on those two drives; at 38-24 they had a nice drive that stalled where they should have gone for it on fourth down.

With a decent defense, they might have had 4 or 5 possessions in a tie situation of being down by 3 or 7 points, with more chances to counter, and not having to make up 14 points. The collapse of the defense had a huge impact on the offense.

Patler
01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
The offense has been a bit inconsistent all season. This game was no different.

It seems to have been close all year, but never able to get over the hump. Constantly changing WRs and RBs didn't help, but even early on something was missing.

It seemed to come and go, almost possession by possession. They would either go three-and-out, or drive the length of the field, be it 50 yards or 85 yards. Rarely did they seem to get a first down or two, then stall and punt.

PA Pack Fan
01-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Our recievers are not able to get open, besides cobb. The catches by JJ and sometimes finley are miraculous, they are not even close to being open. I wonder if the size of the ego is a factor in the amount of effort.

denverYooper
01-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Our recievers are not able to get open, besides cobb. The catches by JJ and sometimes finley are miraculous, they are not even close to being open. I wonder if the size of the ego is a factor in the amount of effort.

Don't forget that Green Bay's offense was the hotness for 20 games or so in a row from the end of 2010 on through the playoffs last year. Teams studied and adjusted to Green Bay, the Packers struggled with injuries all over the offense, and still put up 27 points per game against pretty good slate of defenses. They'll evolve. Their line will get healthy. They'll figure out another back to package with Harris, and they'll get on a roll again.

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 02:33 PM

The Deputy happens to be correct. The West Coast offense is far removed from the offense we saw on the West Coast last Saturday evening.

Here's 'a clue'. It's grown too short. For the rest here....look at this and see 'the TRUTH'. That disgusting loss to the
49ers, wasn't all on the Green Bay 'defense'. The blame has to be shared on both sides of the ball.

Too many here, I expect, will be unwilling to admit this fact.

If that's 'in fact' the case; then maybe you need a reality check. Before you can ever realistically hope or dream of going to another Super Bowl. Alot must be done. Some hard decisions made. By the way we're Packer fans not fricken politicians. So let's get it too real.

Look at that loss to learn, please. :???:

In the first four possessions of the second half, our offense managed a FG. At the 8:38 point of the third quarter the game was tied '24 all' on a Mason Crosby FG. Was the 49ers 'D' that good that an Aaron Rodgers led offense could only manage 3 points in four possessions?

Here's the game play by play so anyone can have a look and see for themself:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201301...yze=playbyplay

3rd Quarter SCORE: 49ers 24 - Packers 21

Green Bay first possession of the second half:

Green Bay Packers to receive at 15:00 of the 3rd quarter:

2-D.Akers kicks 66 yards from SF 35 to GB -1. 18-R.Cobb to GB 26 for 27 yards (46-D.Walker).

1-10-GB 26 (14:54) (Shotgun) 26-D.Harris right tackle to GB 29 for 3 yards (94-J.Smith, 38-D.Goldson).

2-7-GB 29 (14:11) (Shotgun) 26-D.Harris right end to GB 32 for 3 yards (53-N.Bowman, 38-D.Goldson).

3-4-GB 32 (13:28) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers sacked at GB 23 for -9 yards (52-P.Willis).

4-13-GB 23 (13:05) 8-T.Masthay punts 42 yards to SF 35, Center-61-B.Goode, fair catch by 19-T.Ginn.

Second Possession of the second half: SCORE 49ers 24 - Packers 21

Green Bay Packers at 11:56

1-10-GB 11 (11:56) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 85-G.Jennings to GB 13 for 2 yards (55-A.Brooks).

2-8-GB 13 (11:23) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass deep right to 85-G.Jennings to GB 43 for 30 yards (38-D.Goldson). Caught at GB 43. 0-yds YAC

1-10-GB 43 (10:51) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 87-J.Nelson to SF 49 for 8 yards (26-T.Brock). Caught at 50. 1-yd YAC

2-2-SF 49 (10:18) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 87-J.Nelson pushed ob at SF 41 for 8 yards (26-T.Brock). Caught at SF 41. 0-yds YAC

1-10-SF 41 (10:01) (Shotgun) 18-R.Cobb right guard to SF 22 for 19 yards (52-P.Willis, 31-D.Whitner).

1-10-SF 22 (9:22) (Shotgun) 18-R.Cobb up the middle to SF 18 for 4 yards (99-Ald.Smith).

2-6-SF 18 (8:51) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete short right to 87-J.Nelson.

Timeout #1 by GB at 08:46.

3-6-SF 18 (8:46) PENALTY on GB-74-M.Newhouse, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SF 18 - No Play.

3-11-SF 23 (8:46) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 18-R.Cobb to SF 15 for 8 yards (38-D.Goldson). FUMBLES (38-D.Goldson), recovered by GB-70-T.Lang at SF 15. 70-T.Lang to SF 13 for 2 yards (20-P.Cox).

4-1-SF 13 (8:38) 2-M.Crosby 31 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-61-B.Goode, Holder-8-T.Masthay.

SCORE: PACKERS 24 - 49ers 24

Third Possession of the second half: SCORE after San Fran scored '7' on their last possession SF 31 - GB 24

Green Bay Packers at 07:07

2-D.Akers kicks 67 yards from SF 35 to GB -2. 18-R.Cobb, Touchback.

1-10-GB 20 (7:07) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete short right to 85-G.Jennings.

2-10-GB 20 (7:01) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete short left to 83-T.Crabtree (53-N.Bowman) [55-A.Brooks].

3-10-GB 20 (6:57) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers scrambles left end ran ob at GB 37 for 17 yards.

1-10-GB 37 (6:27) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short left to 18-R.Cobb to GB 40 for 3 yards (38-D.Goldson, 20-P.Cox).

2-7-GB 40 (5:52) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 18-R.Cobb to GB 41 for 1 yard (94-J.Smith).

3-6-GB 41 (5:12) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete short middle to 88-J.Finley (53-N.Bowman).

4-6-GB 41 (5:07) 8-T.Masthay punts 52 yards to SF 7, Center-61-B.Goode, fair catch by 19-T.Ginn.

Right at the beginning of the fourth quarter the 49ers score again to increase their lead. SCORE SF 38 - GB 24

OK.... We have a whole quarter and are down 14 points. Two possessions !

Green Bay Packers at 14:57

Fourth Possession of the second half:

2-D.Akers kicks 60 yards from SF 35 to GB 5. 18-R.Cobb MUFFS catch, and recovers at GB 8. 18-R.Cobb to GB 11 for 3 yards (57-M.Wilhoite).

Did you remember that one?

1-10-GB 11 (14:51) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short left to 85-G.Jennings to GB 18 for 7 yards (53-N.Bowman). Caught at GB 17. 1-yd YAC

2-3-GB 18 (14:26) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 88-J.Finley to GB 27 for 9 yards (52-P.Willis). Caught at GB 27. 0-yds YAC

1-10-GB 27 (13:58) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short left to 85-G.Jennings to GB 32 for 5 yards (22-C.Rogers, 38-D.Goldson). Caught at GB 29. 3-yds YAC

2-5-GB 32 (13:25) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 88-J.Finley to GB 34 for 2 yards (53-N.Bowman, 31-D.Whitner). Caught at GB 30. 4-yds YAC

3-3-GB 34 (12:53) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 87-J.Nelson to GB 44 for 10 yards (29-C.Culliver). Caught at GB41. 3-yds YAC

1-10-GB 44 (12:17) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete short right to 83-T.Crabtree.

2-10-GB 44 (12:10) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 26-D.Harris to GB 49 for 5 yards (52-P.Willis). Caught at GB 46. 3-yds YAC

3-5-GB 49 (11:43) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep left to 85-G.Jennings.

What if .... that pass had connected !? Can you still see that play?

4-5-GB 49 (11:37) 8-T.Masthay punts 44 yards to SF 7, Center-61-B.Goode, downed by GB-10-J.Ross.

Again in this half. Our offense didn't get it done.

Unfortunately, as we saw it got worse for us on the scoreboard !

Some might say that the turning point in that game was the Jeremy Ross bobble. If you do, I ask this question:

How did Colin Kaepernick and the San Francisco 49ers respond to the Sam Shields 'pick six'? Didn't they put alot of points up on the board? How did they respond to us scoring? Didn't they counter with a score?

At what point did MM and those in charge of the Green Bay offense forget that this game was all about 'shootout'?

************************************************** ******************************************

Final Analysis:

Passing 'short here and short over there' wasn't going to cut it MM.

This was 'a one shot' playoff game MM. Yup a huge game where your players entered it looking like sheep and left it looking like shocked sheep.

Another huge game MM that your team 'chocked on'......AGAIN !

GO PACK GO ! I don't see it.

Give me a break on that one. We need to see alot more changes than a Defensive Co-ordinator, ' Dom Capers scapegoat move', before I can realistically write:

GO PACK GO !

Bossman641
01-14-2013, 03:58 PM

i think it's much simpler than that. SF dropped 7 or 8 into coverage on nearly every pass attempt. It's hard for 4 or 5 wr/te/rb to shake the coverage of 7 or 8 defenders, especially with a defense as talented and well-coached as SF.

mraynrand
01-14-2013, 05:17 PM
I think the offense was OK. If the defense had given them a few more series before being down by two TDs, they probably would have put up a TD or two more. Against SF's defense, that's pretty good.

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 06:28 PM
I think the offense was OK. If the defense had given them a few more series before being down by two TDs, they probably would have put up a TD or two more. Against SF's defense, that's pretty good.

The Green Bay Packer Offense 'Official Excuse':

Woulda,Coulda,Shoulda.

The defense gave us a TD with Sam Shields pick. 31 points minus 7 for that defensive TD = 24 Points

The San Fran 49ers 'virtually' allowed us to get our last TD ! The Pass from Aaron Rodgers to Greg Jennings for a TD!

24 Points minus 7 for 'that gift' = 17 points.

Translation:

Our offense was hardly on fire.

mraynrand
01-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Translation:

Our offense was hardly on fire.

No shit. That's why they needed more touches in the second half. They were playing one of the two best defenses in football, you fool. 600 yards surrendered, TOP overwhelmingly in SF's favor. The Packer offense isn't good enough against top flight physical defenses to have to score TDs on most possessions. I can't believe how foolish it is for some idiots to blame this loss on the offense. 600 yards - 600 - surrendered by the defense and idiots blame the offense. Sheer stupidity.

pbmax
01-14-2013, 10:51 PM
No shit. That's why they needed more touches in the second half. They were playing one of the two best defenses in football, you fool. 600 yards surrendered, TOP overwhelmingly in SF's favor. The Packer offense isn't good enough against top flight physical defenses to have to score TDs on most possessions. I can't believe how foolish it is for some idiots to blame this loss on the offense. 600 yards - 600 - surrendered by the defense and idiots blame the offense. Sheer stupidity.

I agree their defense did them few favors though it did give them two 3 and outs in the second half.

But the offense put 17 points up when the game was undecided. Shields INT and the garbage time TD, just as in the first game, don't reflect the true nature of the O performance. I am not saying the D was better than the O, but the O failed as well.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 11:27 PM
The offense has been a bit inconsistent all season. This game was no different.

It seems to have been close all year, but never able to get over the hump. Constantly changing WRs and RBs didn't help, but even early on something was missing.

It seemed to come and go, almost possession by possession. They would either go three-and-out, or drive the length of the field, be it 50 yards or 85 yards. Rarely did they seem to get a first down or two, then stall and punt.

Agreed. 2011 can not be duplicated again. This season was too herky jerky.

mraynrand
01-15-2013, 12:39 AM
I agree their defense did them few favors though it did give them two 3 and outs in the second half.

But the offense put 17 points up when the game was undecided. Shields INT and the garbage time TD, just as in the first game, don't reflect the true nature of the O performance. I am not saying the D was better than the O, but the O failed as well.

After they tied it up at 24 all, how many chances did they have? They had two and then it was 38-24 late in the fourth. So yes, they failed on those two drives. Most offenses, even good ones, need more than that to draw even, especially when playing maybe the best defense in football. If the defense had allowed say 350 yards instead of a record 600, or if they had held Kap to say 75 instead of a record 180 rushing yards, or held SF to 28 points, instead of 45, or kept TOP even remotely equal instead of 38-22, then I'd say this offense failed. Compared to week one, I'd say they played better. I think in retrospect, if Stubby had known how bad the defense would collapse in the second half (it was bad enough already in the first half), he might have gone for it instead of kicking the GF, and gone on that other 4th down as well.

In summary, I think it's insane to look at the offense as even a minor cause of this loss.

mraynrand
01-15-2013, 12:45 AM
BTW, I only see one three and out in the second half for the GB defense, then three TD drives, then the kneel down

Bossman641
01-15-2013, 06:21 AM
BTW, I only see one three and out in the second half for the GB defense, then three TD drives, then the kneel down

Yep.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8842329/bill-barnwell-weekend-divisional-games

Kaepernick, meanwhile, had about the best possible game you can have after throwing a pick-six on the opening drive of the day. San Francisco had nine subsequent competitive possessions, and they turned out pretty well. The Niners had one three-and-out, a 47-yard drive that ended with a punt, a 48-yard drive on a short field for a touchdown, a 62-yard drive for a field goal, and five drives of 80 yards or more that each produced touchdowns. It's close to impossible to do better than that.

Offense never had a chance

pbmax
01-15-2013, 08:32 AM
After they tied it up at 24 all, how many chances did they have? They had two and then it was 38-24 late in the fourth. So yes, they failed on those two drives. Most offenses, even good ones, need more than that to draw even, especially when playing maybe the best defense in football. If the defense had allowed say 350 yards instead of a record 600, or if they had held Kap to say 75 instead of a record 180 rushing yards, or held SF to 28 points, instead of 45, or kept TOP even remotely equal instead of 38-22, then I'd say this offense failed. Compared to week one, I'd say they played better. I think in retrospect, if Stubby had known how bad the defense would collapse in the second half (it was bad enough already in the first half), he might have gone for it instead of kicking the GF, and gone on that other 4th down as well.

In summary, I think it's insane to look at the offense as even a minor cause of this loss.

In a game where you score on your last drive of the half and then watch them race back down to trump your tying TD with a last minute FG, I would base my entire second half on the idea that we might not be able to stop them and simply have to outscore them. M3 loves to count on underperforming units to snap back to par (see 2009 offense, 2011 defense, Crosby, Finley, Jones) but the defense was getting smoked.

It did not look like the Packer D was going to be able to pull off another pick 6 and CK was clearly more than they bargained for. Fear, the good kind and not panic, should have settled in. Your offense scored 17 points in the first half and it wasn't enough. Their offense scored 24 and that included handing the opposition a score off a TO. TOP was terrible but its a two way game. How many long drives did the Packers have?

The Packer offense had a bigger challenge than the 49er offense. But it did not rise to the occasion.

I don't think this was a call to the no huddle, five wide offense. It was a call to go back to what had worked and take all chances on down and distance. This entire game is evidence the Packers weren't ready for what was coming. People always love to scream that coaches don't adjust and this is usually malarkey. But in this case, I am not sure they had an adjustment they could trust to turn to.

wootah
01-15-2013, 08:41 AM
he might have gone for it instead of kicking the GF

Yet another side effect of having Erik Walden on your team.

mraynrand
01-15-2013, 08:58 AM
In a game where you score on your last drive of the half and then watch them race back down to trump your tying TD with a last minute FG, I would base my entire second half on the idea that we might not be able to stop them and simply have to outscore them. M3 loves to count on underperforming units to snap back to par (see 2009 offense, 2011 defense, Crosby, Finley, Jones) but the defense was getting smoked.

It did not look like the Packer D was going to be able to pull off another pick 6 and CK was clearly more than they bargained for. Fear, the good kind and not panic, should have settled in. Your offense scored 17 points in the first half and it wasn't enough. Their offense scored 24 and that included handing the opposition a score off a TO. TOP was terrible but its a two way game. How many long drives did the Packers have?

The Packer offense had a bigger challenge than the 49er offense. But it did not rise to the occasion.

I don't think this was a call to the no huddle, five wide offense. It was a call to go back to what had worked and take all chances on down and distance. This entire game is evidence the Packers weren't ready for what was coming. People always love to scream that coaches don't adjust and this is usually malarkey. But in this case, I am not sure they had an adjustment they could trust to turn to.

And? So you are saying the Packers realize their defense was sucking in the worst way, and had to compensate with taking chances on down and distance. I think they actually did some of that - like the bomb attempt to Jennings that just missed. But they didn't risk the two fourth down attempts that might have helped them lose by 7-10 instead of the 3 TD slaughter until garbage time. They moved the ball reasonably well against the best defense in the NFL, they just didn't have enough chances.

mraynrand
01-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Yet another side effect of having Erik Walden on your team.

Good one. On a serious note, has anyone checked on Walden's GF since the game? People are concerned.

pbmax
01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
And? So you are saying the Packers realize their defense was sucking in the worst way, and had to compensate with taking chances on down and distance. I think they actually did some of that - like the bomb attempt to Jennings that just missed. But they didn't risk the two fourth down attempts that might have helped them lose by 7-10 instead of the 3 TD slaughter until garbage time. They moved the ball reasonably well against the best defense in the NFL, they just didn't have enough chances.

Moving the ball reasonably well is the entire point. Some games, that isn't enough. During this game, you can't count on the D winning TOP and field position on its own in the second half.

I am not making the offense equivalent to the defense when comparing each to a League average. The Defense was far worse in that measure. But in a game where they desperately needed that offense to hit on all cylinders and make some drives, they sputtered like they had all season. Against a team that can run and is willing to do so (forget CK for a moment) you aren't going to get 10 possessions by the 4th quarter. The clock is not their friend in this game. Hurry up or not, possessions will be limited. CK actually helped in this regard by scoring so fast twice.

I might go back and look at this game and the season by the numbers and decide I am being too hard on the offense. But even if you forget the offensive dominance from 2011, there were precious few games this year where the offense was able to work its will. And so my opinion is that McCarthy should have played the game like he was behind the entire second half concerning 4th downs. And when passing versus their base wasn't working, put Harris back in the game.

Before a SNF game, McCarthy said he all but throttled back the offense because he felt like they put the defense in far too many bad situations in 2011. He might simply have been dissembling on a question about matching last years offensive production. But if any part of that is true, I am not sure it helped at all. Injuries hurt this year. But they couldn't run last year either and Clifton and Newhouse both played worse than Newhouse did this year.

woodbuck27
01-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Packer Offense Vs the 49ers !?

http://derricklphillips.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/looking.jpg

Where Was It ??

KYPack
01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Good one. On a serious note, has anyone checked on Walden's GF since the game? People are concerned.

Beat that ass, Erik.

MadtownPacker
01-15-2013, 04:35 PM
And? So you are saying the Packers realize their defense was sucking in the worst way, and had to compensate with taking chances on down and distance. I think they actually did some of that - like the bomb attempt to Jennings that just missed. But they didn't risk the two fourth down attempts that might have helped them lose by 7-10 instead of the 3 TD slaughter until garbage time. They moved the ball reasonably well against the best defense in the NFL, they just didn't have enough chances.I have to wonder if the defense was feeling the same way? The offense could barely stay on the field in the first half. Not sure why you believe the offense was anywhere near good. The niners had the ball the whole first half. The offense seemed fine to start but then they went into M3 mode (chuck it deep on 3rd and short) and Rodgers was left to run for his life. What happened to the short throws from last Saturday vs MN? The whole teamed suck more balls than Harlan in a park bathroom.

So how did the offense not have enough chances? Did the niners recover onside kicks after each time they scored?

mraynrand
01-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Part of the reason the Niners had more TOP in the first half was they received the kickoff, they gave up an INT for a TD and the ST blunder also gave them another possession, albeit a short one. It adds up.

The offense didn't give up 600 yards

mraynrand
01-15-2013, 04:42 PM
The Packers played a pretty good defense in the NFCC game in 2010 in the Chicago Bears. The difference was that the Packer defense shut down the Bear's offense, which wasn't very good. That defense also limited the Eagles and the Falcons - and even the Steelers with multiple injuries. How many points did the Packer O put up against the Bears in the season finale, against them in the NFCC game, or against the Eagle and Steelers? Not more than they got against the best defense in football on Sunday. So yeah, the loss falls on the fucking defense that allowed 600 fucking yards and three straight TD drives after the game was tied. Fuck you all if you don't get this.

PA Pack Fan
01-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Fuck you all if you don't get this.

You are one serious fucking idiot.

mraynrand
01-15-2013, 09:50 PM
You are one serious fucking idiot.

I ran out of arguments, so it was either swearing or name calling. I picked swearing. Serious swearing.

PA Pack Fan
01-16-2013, 09:06 AM
I ran out of arguments, so it was either swearing or name calling. I picked swearing. Serious swearing.

lol...Go Pack!

Joemailman
01-16-2013, 09:35 AM

What a God-Damned idiot you are.

Pugger
01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Evidently Rodgers was hobbled a lot more than anybody let on especially in the second half of the season. How many times did he pass the ball on 3rd and short rather than run the ball? He admitted in his radio show on ESPN Milwaukee yesterday he flunked his Pro-Bowl physical saying he had knee and ankle issues but didn't elaborate so he will not go to Honolulu. We gotta improve the O line either by getting our tackles back and a center or adding some O linemen via FA or the draft.

woodbuck27
01-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Evidently Rodgers was hobbled a lot more than anybody let on especially in the second half of the season. How many times did he pass the ball on 3rd and short rather than run the ball? He admitted in his radio show on ESPN Milwaukee yesterday he flunked his Pro-Bowl physical saying he had knee and ankle issues but didn't elaborate so he will not go to Honolulu. We gotta improve the O line either by getting our tackles back and a center or adding some O linemen via FA or the draft.

That's a major concern. Has to be a high priority.

Freak Out
01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
What a God-Damned idiot you are.

Enough of this idiocy.

Joemailman
01-16-2013, 01:00 PM

You always want a better OL, but a lot of the sacks Rodgers takes are his fault. He wants to go downfield instead of dumping the ball off, but he doesn't throw into double coverage, so he holds onto the ball too long sometimes. I do think EDS was an improvement over Saturday as far as limiting pressure up the middle, and they will be getting Bulaga and perhaps Sherrod back. However, unless Rodgers changes his approach, he'll probably continue to be one of the more frequently sacked QB's in the league.

mraynrand
01-16-2013, 01:42 PM

everyone else was injured. Rodgers just wanted to fit in. That's how the Packers roll. I'm looking forward to next season and all the injuries.

Pugger
01-17-2013, 06:10 PM
everyone else was injured. Rodgers just wanted to fit in. That's how the Packers roll. I'm looking forward to next season and all the injuries.

Dear God. :lol:

woodbuck27
01-17-2013, 06:12 PM

As long as your home. Have another drink.

George Cumby
01-17-2013, 09:34 PM

Fuck you, you fucking fuck.

Pugger
01-19-2013, 06:13 PM
All this swearing sounds like shit.

pbmax
01-20-2013, 03:29 PM
As I said last week, offense has to answer for not scoring on this 49er defense. :lol:

denverYooper
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
As I said last week, offense has to answer for not scoring on this 49er defense. :lol:

I guess so, hey?

Pats, Seahawks, and now Falcons are scoring almost at will on the 9ers.

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2013, 03:36 PM

QFT

denverYooper
01-20-2013, 03:40 PM
So what happened to this vaunted D? Were they overvalued based on beating up weaker offenses? Are they tired? Did they get figured out? Was Justin Smith's health really that important? Because they're definitely not the fierce shutdown unit that they're made out to be.

Maybe they never were. Saints hung a lot of points on them in the playoffs last year, too.

pbmax
01-20-2013, 04:12 PM
So what happened to this vaunted D? Were they overvalued based on beating up weaker offenses? Are they tired? Did they get figured out? Was Justin Smith's health really that important? Because they're definitely not the fierce shutdown unit that they're made out to be.

Maybe they never were. Saints hung a lot of points on them in the playoffs last year, too.

Playing on road, Justin Smith injury, full season of tape and better offenses in playoffs.

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Looks like San Fran put the breaks on the Atlanta offense in the second half.

pbmax
01-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Looks like San Fran put the breaks on the Atlanta offense in the second half.

Ryan getting an MRI on shoulder/collarbone injury tomorrow. Happened in 2nd half, but don't remember which drive. Think it was late though.

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Last real drive of the game

Pugger
01-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Ryan getting an MRI on shoulder/collarbone injury tomorrow. Happened in 2nd half, but don't remember which drive. Think it was late though.

I'm surprised that hit on Ryan didn't get a flag.