PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the loss to San Fran.

PackerBlues
01-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Dom Capers and his "bend but don't break" philosophy on Defense.......time to go!

Jeremy Ross, wtf? Due to Cobb being injured, Ross had two decent returns last week. Cobb was available this week, so why in the hell did the coaching staff have (SAN FRANCISCO native) Jeremy Ross fielding punts? I tried finding stats on this guy, and other than the two returns last week, he has no stats! How is he fielding punts in such an important playoff game?

Pugger
01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Two weeks ago folks were bitching about putting Cobb out there fielding punts and kicks. Last night Ross made the fatal mistake of not looking the ball in - something we've seen Cobb do in the past too. I think Ross will be fine back there with more experience.

PA Pack Fan
01-13-2013, 11:45 AM
A huge turning point in the game. Momentum always wins games, and we had some serious momentum going.

What about Cobb getting the dropsies?

Patler
01-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Cobb had been sick all week. As recently as Thursday he was seen having to take a knee in practice while coughing excessively. I expected he would be taken off returns to save whatever energy he had for offense.

pbmax
01-13-2013, 12:00 PM
wrong thread

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Two weeks ago folks were bitching about putting Cobb out there fielding punts and kicks. Last night Ross made the fatal mistake of not looking the ball in - something we've seen Cobb do in the past too. I think Ross will be fine back there with more experience.

His mistake is an easy one to make. Looking for where to run before he caught and secured the ball.

I felt badly for him. I agree that he simply needs experience.

Joemailman
01-13-2013, 12:25 PM
My thoughts are that this game shows the importance of getting this defense fixed. Having the best QB and best group of WR's doesn't mean shit if your defense can't get off the field.

woodbuck27
01-13-2013, 06:59 PM
My thoughts are that this game shows the importance of getting this defense fixed. Having the best QB and best group of WR's doesn't mean shit if your defense can't get off the field.

In final analysis I must agree. Having the ball on 'O' for about 33% of the time on the game clock demands perfection.

We havn't enjoyed seeing such, alot this season.

rbaloha1
01-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Plain and simple -- the 49ers are better coached and possess better, faster, bigger and nastier players.

The Packers only chance was to spread out the niners to outscore them. Establishing a running game is meaningless if your defense is horrible.

run pMc
01-14-2013, 11:12 AM
SF's OLine is a parade of R1 picks, GB's is a collection of UDFA and low/mid round picks.
I think Ross just screwed up on the punt...it was a killer mistake. Cobb vs. Ross: Cobb's been hurt and that's a no-win situation -- if he's not back there people complain and if he is but gets hurt or has no explosion people complain.
GB's defense looked undisciplined to me. SF ran all over them, didn't show much gap discipline to my idiot eyes, and couldn't form a pocket to trap Kaepernick in. I thought GB's secondary had the edge over SF's receivers going into the game and if they kept Kaepernick from running wild and made him throw he'd have done less damage. Raji had a bad game, SF ran right up the middle.
Just an bad game all over defensively for GB. I wouldn't be surprised if TT tries to add more speed and smarts on defense. Walden didn't play smart, and the ILB's had trouble keeping up.

run pMc
01-14-2013, 11:18 AM
I thought the way to beat SF would be to play a patient nickle-and-dime down the field offense. 3 yard run, 7 yard slant, etc., just wear down Justin Smith and Co. and keep SF's offense off the field.
I expected little D.Harris to have a big impact on the game in the first half and then for them to bring out James Starks in the 2nd half to hammer away.

Sometimes Rodgers doesn't play patient...this year he seemed to want to go for the quick-strike big play (like last year) more than just taking what the defense would give him. Maybe there wasn't anything there in this game, but how many posts have people complained about incomplete go-routes to Nelson on 3rd and 2?

pbmax
01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Healthy, there are two first round picks on the Packers O line. Niners have 3. Sitton and Lang are fourth rounders. You can't commit much more to one position group than that unless either tackle isn't going to be healthy. Especially this position group, where only LT is scarce enough you almost have to take them in the first two rounds, and the rest can effectively be found elsewhere.

mraynrand
01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Plain and simple -- the 49ers are better coached and possess better, faster, bigger and nastier players.

The Packers only chance was to spread out the niners to outscore them. Establishing a running game is meaningless if your defense is horrible.

The purpose of 'establishing the run' is to have a balanced attack, protect Rodgers, and have the ability to sustain longer drives. All those things can help your defense. You don't absolutely need a run game to have longer drives and TOP, but it's easier. Look at the Niners - three very long sustained drives in the second half limited the Packer's offensive possessions. That's a good way to defeat a very good offense, both because you reduce opportunities and you get a chilled offense that's been parking it on the sidelines for long stretches.

denverYooper
01-14-2013, 02:41 PM
The purpose of 'establishing the run' is to have a balanced attack, protect Rodgers, and have the ability to sustain longer drives. All those things can help your defense. You don't absolutely need a run game to have longer drives and TOP, but it's easier. Look at the Niners - three very long sustained drives in the second half limited the Packer's offensive possessions. That's a good way to defeat a very good offense, both because you reduce opportunities and you get a chilled offense that's been parking it on the sidelines for long stretches.

I thought they got something going with Harris and were generally running better down the stretch. When they got in the hole, though, they tended to abandon the run and tried to spread teams out like it was early 2011. It worked ok against lesser teams but when it happened against New York and San Fransisco, they just got in more trouble.

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
A huge turning point in the game. Momentum always wins games, and we had some serious momentum going.

What about Cobb getting the dropsies?

The J. Ross 'Muff' was a serious game changer and set up a game tieing 14-14 score by San Fran. It was a new game with almost 11 minutes remaining in the second quarter.

Funny how so many would overlook or forget the R. Cobb 'Muff' and recovery early in the fourth quarter.

I felt so badly for Jeremy Ross as he stood on the sidelines and watched the 49ers tie up the score.

denverYooper
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
There is a growing Twitter convo atm with Chris Brown (@smartfootball). Gist is that 49ers had a pretty sophisticated set of plays they hadn't used much during the year and their strategy going into the game was that they'd need to outscore Rodgers.

I might post some of it later but I have a conference call in 3 minutes.

MadtownPacker
01-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Outscore Rodgers huh? I guess that was assuming he would show up?

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Outscore Rodgers huh? I guess that was assuming he would show up?

How about you Mad?

If you watched that game on TV?

Did you see something unusual in Aaron Rodgers eyes? I felt his eyes looked bad. He looked tired or ill or both. He looked washed out.

MadtownPacker
01-14-2013, 08:06 PM
I just think he needs to quit that niners revenge crap. Hasn't appeared to motivate him versus them IMO. For all we know it makes him play worse instead of better like we all including myself like to believe.

Joemailman
01-14-2013, 08:13 PM
How about you Mad?

If you watched that game on TV?

Did you see something unusual in Aaron Rodgers eyes? I felt his eyes looked bad. He looked tired or ill or both. He looked washed out.

Rodgers was ill last week with whatever the others have been getting. Probably was still on medication on Saturday.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 11:31 PM
There is a growing Twitter convo atm with Chris Brown (@smartfootball). Gist is that 49ers had a pretty sophisticated set of plays they hadn't used much during the year and their strategy going into the game was that they'd need to outscore Rodgers.

I might post some of it later but I have a conference call in 3 minutes.

What were the Packers thinking -- win a defensive battle?