PDA

View Full Version : Dom Capers or Ted Thompson?

PackerBlues
01-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Ted Thompson became the General Manager in GB in 2005, the same year that he drafted Aaron Rodgers. (interesting fact: Upon Donald Driver's departure from GB, Aaron Rodgers will become the longest tenured player on the roster.)

Dom Capers joined the Packers in 2009. Hired by Ted Thompson as the Defensive coordinator, Capers replaced the 4-3 defense that the packers had used since 1992, with the 3-4 defense.

According to stats that I got from Pro-Football-Reference.com.....
( http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/opp.htm )

In 2009 the Packers Defense was ranked 7'th overall, 5'th in passing defense, and 1'st in rushing defense.

In 2010, the Packers Defense was ranked 2'nd overall, 5'th in passing defense, and 18'th in rushing defense. (how the hell does that make sense?)

In 2011, the Packers Defense was ranked 19'th overall, 32'nd in passing defense, and 14'th in rushing defense.

In 2012, the Packers Defense was ranked 11'th overall, 11'th in passing defense, and 17'th in rushing defense.

Only 5 Defensive players currently on the roster, have been in GB longer than Dom Capers.

All of them joined the team in 2006: first round pick, LB, A.J. Hawk.... CB Jarrett Bush, picked up off waivers from Carolina.... DE/NT Ryan Pickett, an unrestricted free agent from St. Louis.... CB Tramon Williams, an undrafted free agent.... and, DB Charles Woodson, unrestricted free agent from Oakland.

All other Defensive players on the current roster came in 2009 with Capers, or later.

2009: NT B.J. Raji, 1'st round pick.... LB Clay Matthews, 1st round pick.... LB Brad Jones, 7'th round pick.... LB Robert Francois, undrafted free agent.

2010: DE Mike Neal, 2nd round pick.... S Morgan Burnett, 3rd round pick.... DE C.J. Wilson, 7th round pick.... CB Sam Shields, undrafted free agent.... LB Erik Walden, undrafted free agent.... LB Frank Zombo, undrafted free agent.

2011: CB Davon House, 4th round pick.... S M.D. Jennings, undrafted free agent.... LB Jamari Lattimore, undrafted free agent.

2012: DE Jerel Worthy, 2nd round pick.... CB Casey Hayward, 2nd round pick.... DT Mike Daniels, 4th round pick.... S Jerron McMillian, 4th round pick.... LB Terrell Manning, 5th round pick.... DT Jordan Miller, undrafted free agent, LB Dezman Moses, undrafted free agent.

Prior to looking at all of the above mentioned, I was ready to see Dom Capers pack his bags. Now, I am not so sure that it would be fair to Dom Capers at all.

The GB defense is composed of:

1st round picks, 3: Hawk, Raji, and Mathews
2nd round picks, 3: Neal, Worthy, Hayward
3rd round picks, 1: Burnett
4th round picks, 3: House, Danials, McMillian
5th round picks, 1: Manning
6th round picks, 0
7th round picks, 2: Jones, Wilson
Off Waivers, 1: Bush
Unrestricted free agents, 2: Pickett, Woodson
Undrafted free agents, 9: Williams, Francois, Shields, Walden, Zombo, Jennings, Lattimore, Miller, Moses

Looking at all of this, its kind of hard to put all the blame on Capers. How many years do you need to implement a Defense? How long does a player need to be in the system before he becomes.....a veteran in that system? Simply put, the Defensive players on the current roster probably need a little more time in the system.

Apologies, I hadnt noticed the post started by 3irty1......could someone please delete this post for me?