PDA

View Full Version : Do You Bring Charles Woodson Back?

pbmax
01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Rarely has my personal opinion of a player changed more than it has about Charles Woodson. Always appreciated his talent, but didn't like him at UM, didn't like the reports of his malcontentedness on the Raiders or his reputation for going his own way. though injuries had robbed him of his ability to play at a high level and thought it would not get better given his rep for not working out. Found out this week that former Raider teammates were surprised to find out he was actually lifting weights with the Packers.

He and McCarthy have completely turned me around. Of course, having him in town and getting more than highlight/mishap of the week coverage has helped. His ability also was refreshing, especially his toughness and willingness to stick his nose into a play. His coverage could be loose and he needs someone to have his back when he freelances, but he delivered more often than not.

But next year will be the second to last year of a contract paying him $6.5 mil is salary plus $1 million in game bonuses and $2.5 in a roster bonus (not sure when that is due). Cap number is $10 mil and cash out of pocket is also $10 million. One thing is unclear, he is listed as having gotten a $800,000 signing bonus but that amount does not seem to appear in his cap numbers.

The deal obviously envisions his potential release in 2013 or 14 with minimal cap consequences.

He seems to be limited to safety work now as Hayward is the first slot corner. He is not an ideal deep safety as he has slowed down. He is probably still as good as he was when going forward to the LOS.

Is he worth it?

pbmax
01-14-2013, 10:32 AM
dammit. Meant to include a poll. Feel free to vote in posts.

rbaloha1
01-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Only at half price.

Old School
01-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Bring him back at a reduced salary plus incentives.

hoosier
01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Bring him back as a mascot or visiting assistant position coach.

sharpe1027
01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
That type of money is probably better spent elsewhere. It will need to be restructured. Even then he's approaching DD territory of maybe not having a quality year left in him.

mraynrand
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
His pass defense of a Vernon Davis target showed he some stuff left; his inability to get outside and tackle Kap showed he is a liability due to loss of speed (in fairness, so were all the LBs and half the secondary). He's crafty and knowledgeable, was better than McMillian this year, but, except for play recognition, not better than anyone else. He's burnt some bridges with Capers - has to have, right? Don't really want to see him in a Donald Driver type role next year, unless the money is right and Capers is gone. Thanks for everything and godspeed Charles. If he has coaching aspirations, I hope he comes back to the Packers.

Patler
01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't see the need to bring him back. While Woodson himself made some plays vs. MN, as a whole there were more mistakes, miscommunications, whatever in the backfield than there had been the previous two months. I thought his limitations as a safety were exposed by SF.

His time has passed, just as Drivers had passed in 2011. Driver didn't need to be on the roster in 2012, and Woodson doesn't need to be on it in 2013.

pbmax
01-14-2013, 12:52 PM
There is also the injury factor. While he might [edit: not] break his third collarbone in four years, he's not going to be available for 16 games.

3irty1
01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Woodson is too limited to even be a safety these days. He's basically a coverage linebacker now.

Patler
01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
There is also the injury factor. While he might break his third collarbone in four years, he's not going to be available for 16 games.

I purposely avoided comments about his salary cap number and injuries. I think based on performance alone, there is no need to bring him back. His overall injury history (not just the two collarbones) and his contract add to the reasons to move on.

Freak Out
01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Time to say thank you for all the hard work...and goodbye. There are some glaring holes to be filled and he is expendable and expensive.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-14-2013, 04:30 PM
I don't see the need to bring him back. While Woodson himself made some plays vs. MN, as a whole there were more mistakes, miscommunications, whatever in the backfield than there had been the previous two months. I thought his limitations as a safety were exposed by SF.

His time has passed, just as Drivers had passed in 2011. Driver didn't need to be on the roster in 2012, and Woodson doesn't need to be on it in 2013.

Pretty much my views as well. I don't think having Woodson would make the defense much better if at all. Bringing him back might actually hurt the team with less money avaliable at other positions.

sharpe1027
01-14-2013, 04:43 PM
I purposely avoided comments about his salary cap number and injuries. I think based on performance alone, there is no need to bring him back. His overall injury history (not just the two collarbones) and his contract add to the reasons to move on.

Yeah, there is no reason to pile it on. :)

Joemailman
01-14-2013, 04:48 PM
I have three Packer jerseys. Favre, Driver and Woodson, Might have to update my wardrobe.

pittstang5
01-14-2013, 04:54 PM
kinda feels like some core players got old...fast. Driver, Woodson, Pickett, Grant

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Bring him back at a reduced salary plus incentives.

That may be a difficult sell and in 'all good sense' if I was CW's agent I'd recommend such an offer. Yet, would such be possible?

I'm not sure your dealing with 'a Donald Driver type Ego' here.

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 05:08 PM
I have three Packer jerseys. Favre, Driver and Woodson, Might have to update my wardrobe.

You have good taste.

You can wear the DRIVER jersey with pride... 10-20-30 years from now.

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 05:12 PM

and a previos post by Patler:

" I don't see the need to bring him back. While Woodson himself made some plays vs. MN, as a whole there were more mistakes, miscommunications, whatever in the backfield than there had been the previous two months. I thought his limitations as a safety were exposed by SF.

His time has passed, just as Drivers had passed in 2011. Driver didn't need to be on the roster in 2012, and Woodson doesn't need to be on it in 2013." Patler

Well that's settled.

Charles Woodson is history.

I don't have 'such opinion' on such a great NFL player. I'm on this one. Just a fan.

sharpe1027
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM

What? No Travis Jervey?

packrulz
01-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Have him beef up 20 lbs and play ILB.

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 05:27 PM

Yea. Just keep moving him up closer to the line and not expect him to move back so far from it.

Respect his age and exploit his experience.

sharpe1027
01-14-2013, 05:30 PM

Maybe with a lot of HGH.

King Friday
01-14-2013, 05:42 PM

+1

Football is a young man's game for a reason. Woodson was a great player and contributed heavily to a Super Bowl title for the Packers. I have nothing but respect for the guy, but it never pays to hold on to a guy a year too long. Never.

woodbuck27
01-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Maybe with a lot of HGH.

Will that affect his cholesterol?

Bretsky
01-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Thx Chuck, but gotta let you go. We've got some athletic cover guys back there but we'er devoid of nastiness. Rotate that money......toward..........shhhhhh...a free agent pass rusher or nasty DL

MadtownPacker
01-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Maybe it's time for him to go but not based on this last game. Kaepernick made everyone look foolish on D. Fuck that guy !

packrulz
01-15-2013, 05:09 AM
Maybe it's time for him to go but not based on this last game. Kaepernick made everyone look foolish on D. Fuck that guy !
That guy's a freak! I hope they don't win the Super Bowl but they're very solid across the board. And they haven't really used VD yet.

LegandofthePack15
01-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Thx Chuck, but gotta let you go. We've got some athletic cover guys back there but we'er devoid of nastiness. Rotate that money......toward..........shhhhhh...a free agent pass rusher or nasty DL

Athletic cover guys? Have you seen McMillian cover? Jennings? Burnett?

If letting Wood go means resigning Greg Jennings, then I am in favor of it. Otherwise what's the point of clearing cap room when Thompson won't sign any bona fide free agent? Guys like Rodgers, Matthews and Raji are all under contract for next season.

LegandofthePack15
01-15-2013, 09:02 AM
That guy's a freak! I hope they don't win the Super Bowl but they're very solid across the board. And they haven't really used VD yet.

Atlanta will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Bank on it.

woodbuck27
01-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Atlanta will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Bank on it.

You think that the Falcons are the team of destiny in the NFC!?

If the San Fran 49ers don't follow-up their destruction over us by marching on Atlanta and fraying the Atlanta fans, already frazzeled nerves. :-?

I'll be surprized.