PDA

View Full Version : Marc Trestman of Montreal Alouettes (CFL) hired to coach da Chicago Bears

woodbuck27
01-16-2013, 11:20 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/article/1315667--bears-to-name-alouettes-marc-trestman-as-head-coach

Marc Trestman of Montreal Alouettes hired to coach Chicago Bears

Published on Wednesday January 16, 2013

Joemailman
01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?24991-Black-Monday&p=710661#post710661

woodbuck27
01-16-2013, 11:50 AM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?24991-Black-Monday&p=710661#post710661

Did I break some protocol by posting a thread about the Green Bay Packers oldest rivalry going forward?

I've some good insight into this hire. Marc Trestman is a dedicated man and a huge loss for the Montreal Alouettes.

MadScientist
01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
My first thought was that if the CFL guy doesn't work out, maybe the Bears will raid the Arena Football League next.

Looking further, the guy has a history of helping QB's and that is something they need. Not sure why he was in the CFL though. Maybe the reason will show up soon.

woodbuck27
01-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Marc Trestman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Trestman

sharpe1027
01-16-2013, 12:24 PM
I don't like this hire. I would much rather that they followed the typical NFL model and hired a retread that is already a proven failure.

woodbuck27
01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
My first thought was that if the CFL guy doesn't work out, maybe the Bears will raid the Arena Football League next.

Looking further, the guy has a history of helping QB's and that is something they need. Not sure why he was in the CFL though. Maybe the reason will show up soon.

I'm not sure if Marc Trestman can handle all the challenges that being the HC of the Chicago Bears will offer him. I can attest to this fact. He'll work his butt off. Marc Trestman is certainly dedicated, smart and held in extreme regard as the leader of the Montreal Alouettes. He is deeply appreciated in Montreal.

This fact as a remedy to Jay Cutler should be considered:

Marc Trestman had a man much like himself as his QB or Anthony Calvillo.

Anthony Calvillo is a long ways from any Jay Cutler type person:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Calvillo

woodbuck27
01-16-2013, 12:34 PM
I don't like this hire. I would much rather that they followed the typical NFL model and hired a retread that is already a proven failure.

I'm assuming that post attests to some justifiable respect for Marc Trestman.

If not it should. If the Green bay Packers were given to replace MM. I'd be some pleased if that replacement was Marc Trestman.

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
He's from St. Louis Park, MN where I currently live and of course it's a big deal here.

woodbuck27
01-16-2013, 12:40 PM
He's from St. Louis Park, MN where I currently live and of course it's a big deal here.

I wasn't at all surprized that the BEARS picked this man. He's an outstanding impressive person and his dedication is without question.

Patler
01-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Really interesting "pro and con" article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/52391/marc-trestman-hire-outsmarting-the-rest

Are the Bears smarter than everyone else?
Are the Bears clutching at straws?

He might be right, they have either hit a homerun, or struck out. Just because all of the NFL passed on the guy years and years ago doesn't mean a lot to me when guys fired at one place for doing a poor job are immediately hot commodities sought after by many other teams with openings. It's a clique that can be difficult to break into.

It is sad for a guy who has put as much into coaching as Trestman has, but his success may depend on the relationship that develops between he and Cutler. Cutler seems like a bit of a strange dude, and may or may not accept coaching from him.

woodbuck27
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/52391/marc-trestman-hire-outsmarting-the-rest

He might be right, they have either hit a homerun, or struck out. Just because all of the NFL passed on the guy years and years ago doesn't mean a lot to me when guys fired at one place for doing a poor job are immediately hot commodities sought after by many other teams with openings. It's a clique that can be difficult to break into.

It is sad for a guy who has put as much into coaching as Trestman has, but his success may depend on the relationship that develops between he and Cutler. Cutler seems like a bit of a strange dude, and may or may not accept coaching from him.

I believe this man will be appreciated in Chicago. I've felt for three years that he would get his shot in the NFL as a HC. It's this man's intelligence,personality and dedication that people find so impressive. Does that gurantee him success in this new job? Of course not, but I believe the Bears could have done far worse than Marc Trestman.

Fr. your LINK Patler:

" Living in Minnesota for the past 13 years, I can't tell you how many people I've heard speak reverentially about Trestman, a native of the Minneapolis suburb of St. Louis Park who played at the University of Minnesota. Those people range from Grant to Gannon to people Trestman went to high school with. They all believe he is a brilliant offensive strategist and quarterback guru, one whose professorial and quiet demeanor perhaps clouded the view of NFL teams who questioned his ability to command a room and lead an entire team. His name has been championed for every head-coach opening the Vikings and the University of Minnesota have had since I've lived here, and yet he has never received serious interest.

In terms of profile, Trestman fits everything you would imagine a general manager such as Emery would want. He has previous success in developing quarterbacks and has the capacity to elevate Cutler's game if the quarterback buys in. His ego is small enough, by all accounts, to trust the front office with all personnel moves. He was humble enough to take a CFL job and good enough to win two Grey Cups in the process. "

swede
01-16-2013, 03:28 PM

I admit, this hire scares me because good coaches are good coaches. If the skill set translates and then matches up with the intangibles we could be in for trouble, and Karma is just the mean bitch to throw a nasty beat-down on Packer nation for making fun of a hire from the CFL.

I don't even want to think about a coach taming Jake Cutler and teaching him to play hard and smart with a growing appreciation for the technical precision it takes to play his position well. Instead I was hoping Jake and Brandon would have a messy on-field divorce with face-slapping and fisticuffs on the sideline.

woodbuck27
01-16-2013, 03:34 PM
I admit, this hire scares me because good coaches are good coaches. If the skill set translates and then matches up with the intangibles we could be in for trouble, and Karma is just the mean bitch to throw a nasty beat-down on Packer nation for making fun of a hire from the CFL.

Making fun of da Bears hire of Marc Trestman because he just spent five seasons in the CFL simply smacks of ignorance.

Somehow .... I believe karma 'certainly' ignores ignorance.

swede
01-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Well, Karma ignores the CFL also.

mraynrand
01-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Fritz >Trestman. Cutler is fundamentally flawed - as a human being. Shannon Sharpe said it best: He's a Quarterback, but not a leader of men.

woodbuck27
01-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Good News for the Bears new HC Marc Trestman is good news for the Green Bay Packers RE: Tom Clements.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/187138441.html

" Trestman emerged from a list of a reported 13 candidates for the Bears job, which included another noted quarterbacks teacher --- Packers' offensive coordinator Tom Clements. Chicago and Clements talked last week, but again the assistant coach was passed over this off-season. On Wednesday, Clements said he is not in the mix for other jobs and "absolutely" expects to stay in Green Bay this coming year.

“I’m certainly not disappointed," Clements said Tuesday. "I’m happy to be here.” ... " Fr. LINK above

Pugger
01-17-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm glad Clements isn't going anywhere. He is a good QB coach and seems to have a good working relationship with our fabulous QB.

Bretsky
01-17-2013, 08:37 PM
I think this is a very good hire by the Bears; he's a guy I was really hoping would not land in the NFC. With this hire, and MN knnocking at our door, we should be worried and TT needs to step up his game this offseason

woodbuck27
01-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I think this is a very good hire by the Bears; he's a guy I was really hoping would not land in the NFC. With this hire, and MN knnocking at our door, we should be worried and TT needs to step up his game this offseason

For sure.

Patler
01-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Tim Brown, (who may have a personal beef with him) said in an interview on ESPN Chicago that he was "shocked" by the hire, and never looked at Trestman as head coach material. Of course his time and success in the CFL would contradict Brown. Brown did acknowledge that he knows the game very well, but apparently didn't see him as the leader a HC needs to be.

But, Mr. Brown, there is that pesky detail of his very clear success as a head coach in Canada......!

woodbuck27
01-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Tim Brown, (who may have a personal beef with him) said in an interview on ESPN Chicago that he was "shocked" by the hire, and never looked at Trestman as head coach material. Of course his time and success in the CFL would contradict Brown. Brown did acknowledge that he knows the game very well, but apparently didn't see him as the leader a HC needs to be.

But, Mr. Brown, there is that pesky detail of his very clear success as a head coach in Canada......!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21564044/former-wr-tim-brown-i-never-saw-marc-trestman-as-a-head-coach

“ I don't want to say it was a joke, but I just never saw Trestman as being a head coach,” (Tim) Brown admitted.

This is where we point out that Brown isn't exactly an unbiased observer.

“The year he took over as offensive coordinator is also the year my reign with the Raiders ended because he made Jerry [Rice] the No. 1 receiver instead of myself,” Brown said. “The year before I made the Pro Bowl and caught [91 passes for 1,165 yards] … and the year afterwards, the year he takes over I think I came like 50 yards from catching 1,000 yards in 10 or 11 straight seasons.

“Hey, look, I'm not a selfish player, but come on, if I put the work in, make this happen for me. We had some interesting words about that part of it.”

Everyone, including Brown, says Trestman knows football. But Brown wonders if the coach will be able to relate to his players.

“He's a really smart guy, knows football like the back of his hand. That's not the issue,” said Brown. “But there's a lot more to coaching than just Xs and Os. You have to be able to deal with players and that's the reason [former Raiders coach] Bill Callahan hasn't succeeded as a head coach because he's a smart guy, knows football like the back of his hand, but when it comes to leading me, it's a totally different intangible you have to have. It's going to be very interesting to see how [Trestman] and Jay Cutler get along, that's for sure.”

It can't get any worse than this, can it? (And don't forget: the Bears still won 10 games.)

In news that should surprise no one, (Jerry) Rice thinks Trestman will do well in Chicago.

According to ESPN's Michael Wright, Rice joked that if Trestman "had thrown me the ball more," he would've gotten a coaching job sooner. Like Brown, Rice said Trestman "has a great mind for the game," but added that he thinks the Bears' new coach can take Cutler's game "to a whole different level." ... "

Comment woodbuck27:

The Bears organization might have to decide who this is about. Their QB or their HC and 'the BIG PICTURE'. There are plenty of players and people in the CFL that will certainly attest to Marc Trestman's leadership abilities as being strong or agree with Jerry Rice. The BEARS carefully selected Marc Treastman based on a comprehensive interviewing process.

We will eventually be able to decide if that hire was good, bad or ugly.

RE: Jay Cutler

Marc Trestman has many skills and accomplishments. One of them isn't being a shrink.

Iron Mike
01-19-2013, 03:21 PM
http://packerrats.com/image.php?u=293&dateline=2010

BEAR DOWN PISS AND MOLD CLOWNS!!!!!

Iron Mike
01-19-2013, 03:23 PM
http://packerrats.com/image.php?u=293&dateline=2010

BEAR DOWN PISS AND MOLD CLOWNS!!!!!

http://packerrats.com/image.php?u=585&dateline=2010

What he said......only w/grammatical and spelling errors!!!

Iron Mike
01-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Where the F are my rep points, 'cuz that shit wuz FUNNY!!!!

KYPack
01-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Where the F are my rep points, 'cuz that shit wuz FUNNY!!!!

OK, Fondy.

you were kinda beggin', ya know?

Iron Mike
01-23-2013, 06:54 AM
OK, Fondy.

you were kinda beggin', ya know?

Ha! Ha!....I gotta keep ahead of Woody--that's all I'm askin' :)

rbaloha1
01-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Another offensive coordinator for Cutler just adds to the confusion -- hence more pics for the Packers.