PDA

View Full Version : sam shields RFA

red
01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
so, i just found out that shields is a RFA, right now

lets say we tender him at the highest level, 1st round compensation

shields might have played well enough this year that someone out there thinks a first round pick is worth it for a young, very speedy, promising cb

we of course would have a chance to match whatever contract he is offered, but i'm thinking someone might offer him some big bucks

so, what happens is we lose shields? thats not something any of us has talked about yet

discuss

Old School
01-16-2013, 08:53 PM
We need to do whatever it takes to keep him. He's looking like one of our starting corners for the forseeable future.

Joemailman
01-16-2013, 08:54 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/2013-nfl-restricted-free-agent-tender-amounts-announced/

1st round tender is 2.9 million. 2nd is 2 million. I doubt a team would give up a 1st for Shields, but might do a 2nd. That's what I think TT will tender him at.

KYPack
01-16-2013, 09:23 PM
I bet he signs a 3 year contract this winter.

House, Sheilds , & Hayward, are our best CB's.

Bretsky
01-16-2013, 09:28 PM
I bet he signs a 3 year contract this winter.

House, Sheilds , & Hayward, are our best CB's.

House has shown promise but I'm not ready to annoint him yet.
Our youth back there is the envy of many; then again our DL and LB's are the envy of few

pbmax
01-16-2013, 09:36 PM
House has shown promise but I'm not ready to annoint him yet.
Our youth back there is the envy of many; then again our DL and LB's are the envy of few

Its all starts up front. I mean,

it all starts out back!

Bretsky
01-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Its all starts up front. I mean,

it all starts out back!

There are so many considerations for GB it gets confusing.

How did Tyrone Williams go from all pro to dog meat in a few seasons ?
Why do our LB's suck so badly...well....besides the curse of Brooks Reed :)
Why do we get torn apart by the tough teams ? Are we realy Sally's ?
And why hasn't Slocum been fired yet ?

inquiring minds want to know

pbmax
01-16-2013, 10:32 PM
There are so many considerations for GB it gets confusing.

Why do our LB's suck so badly...well....besides the curse of Brooks Reed :)
Why do we get torn apart by the tough teams ? Are we realy Sally's ?
And why hasn't Slocum been fired yet ?

inquiring minds want to know

Well, Tyrone Williams is almost 40 years old. So he is slowing down. :lol:

But Tramon Williams (T-Will, Tramontana) on the other hand ...

Reading Whitt's comments between the lines, he seemed to agree that Tramon had an up and down year. And he seemed to agree or perhaps more accurately, did not disagree, that he was not as physical as he had been before his injury.

He might simply be playing differently now. If its just reluctance and not injury, then competition in camp at CB will help him greatly.

There have been holes at ILB since before Capers got here. Depending on who is in front of them, those flaws get exposed more or less often depending on opponent and matchup along D line. Even Bishop, who seems the most effective of the Mack linebackers, can be had. None of them are especially stout and except for Jones, none can run with a TE.

I don't think Pickett had an especially great year. He got moved a lot more by double teams. He might have been injured, or he might be finishing up. Raji is not as effective when he is at nose and needs to take on a double team.

I will give Slocum the rare pass and agree Ross should be the returner. He seems even more lively than Cobb back there, esp. on kickoffs. Given that Cobb had been ill and injured, I can't complain about putting Ross in there for him.

LegandofthePack15
01-16-2013, 10:47 PM

Ty Williams was like Allen Iverson: a victim of ignorant 5-0's. Ignorant cops tried to fuck with Williams and he fought back like any downtrodden man would. Unjustly was sentenced to about month in jail. I hate cops.

Williams came out of prison like a man possessed and won a spot as a Packer starting cornerback. Played like an All-Pro at times but mostly he was serviceable. And like Iverson, Williams hated practice. But more often than not, Ty Williams was baller at game time.

To answer your question: Randy Moss.

Moss forced the Packers to clean house in their secondary. Williams became expandable with the rise of Mike McKenzie and Mike Sherman's ingenious trade for Al Harris.

KYPack
01-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Ty Williams was like Allen Iverson: a victim of ignorant 5-0's. Ignorant cops tried to fuck with Williams and he fought back like any downtrodden man would. Unjustly was sentenced to about month in jail. I hate cops.

Williams came out of prison like a man possessed and won a spot as a Packer starting cornerback. Played like an All-Pro at times but mostly he was serviceable. And like Iverson, Williams hated practice. But more often than not, Ty Williams was baller at game time.

To answer your question: Randy Moss.

Moss forced the Packers to clean house in their secondary. Williams became expandable with the rise of Mike McKenzie and Mike Sherman's ingenious trade for Al Harris.

Nice try, you 4.3 runnin' shutdown CB.

That was Ty Williams second stretch in the can.

He got 6 months in the cooler in '97 for firing two shots into a car driven by a former Nebraska player and his woman. He assaulted an unarmed off-duty cop in Fla ten years later for the incident you are mumbling about. He got more time for then beating up his girlfriend at a later date.

Those derned five-oh's, they are evil, evil!

And you are a lying boob.

Pugger
01-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Sam has come a long way since he was a raw rookie.

woodbuck27
01-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Sam 'Sinkem' Shields ... a player !

Tracks n' tackles em like a sailer.

He's a heat seeking nailer.

Dominator .... 'an impaler' !

rbaloha1
01-17-2013, 06:43 PM
SS is big time and needs to be secured. Improved tackler.

Is SS another "show me the money" brother?

King Friday
01-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Yet another nail in the "Greg Jennings resigns with Green Bay" coffin.

TravisWilliams23
01-17-2013, 08:23 PM
I thought the D played better with Shields in the lineup. I hope they can find a way to keep him. Plus, doesn't he have a Packer Super Bowl ring tattooed on his neck? That wouldn't look so good on him if he leaves the Pack! He still has some zone coverage problems but he did improve his tackling this past year. There was improvement and he's a whole lot better than having Bush try to be a defensive back.

LegandofthePack15
01-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Nice try, you 4.3 runnin' shutdown CB.

That was Ty Williams second stretch in the can.

He got 6 months in the cooler in '97 for firing two shots into a car driven by a former Nebraska player and his woman. He assaulted an unarmed off-duty cop in Fla ten years later for the incident you are mumbling about. He got more time for then beating up his girlfriend at a later date.

Those derned five-oh's, they are evil, evil!

And you are a lying boob.

Fuck the police, old man! I bet you were an ignorant cop in the 60's and 70's. I bet you viciously assaulted the glorious hippies. Fuck 5-0's and fuck their mothers, too.

mission
01-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Sam has came a long way since I called him the best CB in the league! :lol:

LegandofthePack15
01-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Sam has came a long way since I called him the best CB in the league! :lol:

Shields still have consistency issues. Against the Niners the guy got a pick-6 but he also allowed pass-6. Still a long way to go to become a shutdown corner.

Tramon Williams was also the mother inconsistency the past couple of seasons.

Wouldn't hurt to draft a hotshot shutdown corner.

mission
01-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Shields still have consistency issues. Against the Niners the guy got a pick-6 but he also allowed pass-6. Still a long way to go to become a shutdown corner.

Tramon Williams was also the mother inconsistency the past couple of seasons.

Wouldn't hurt to draft a hotshot shutdown corner.

Was that the only TD he gave up all year?

Selective memory, probably.

LegandofthePack15
01-17-2013, 10:29 PM

I think Shields gambled a few times and got beat deep for long completions or for bomb-6 a few times. The Saint game comes to mind. I like the guy, especially on Madden, but I think he's still a bit inconsistent. Tackling has improved, though.

LegandofthePack15
01-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Sam 'Sinkem' Shields ... a player !

Tracks n' tackles em like a sailer.

He's a heat seeking nailer.

Dominator .... 'an impaler' !

:-D

Guiness
01-17-2013, 10:33 PM
I'll give him a pass on last year, and call it a sophomore slump. He finished strong this year and I think he deserves the first round tender - then if he starts off well next season, negotiate an extension during the year.

denverYooper
01-18-2013, 08:06 AM

He played good technique on the TD too, pretty hard to say the result was a lapse in his coverage. Maybe in a year he knocks the pass out at the end :).

I think time will still bear out your prediction on Shields. He was one of the guys doing some serious work against that Niners offense. The fact that he was challenged to shore up his tackling and he clearly has worked on it is a good sign, IMO.

rbaloha1
01-18-2013, 08:22 AM
I think Shields gambled a few times and got beat deep for long completions or for bomb-6 a few times. The Saint game comes to mind. I like the guy, especially on Madden, but I think he's still a bit inconsistent. Tackling has improved, though.

Sometimes peeks in the backfield and relies on speed to catch-up.

Once SS stops peeking -- lockdown corner.

smuggler
01-18-2013, 08:22 AM
I remember the Saints (I believe) got a loooooong completion on Tramon Williams, and Shields came across the field and ran him down. Shields is the fastest player on the field when he's in, so he can afford to gamble a bit.

rbaloha1
01-18-2013, 08:28 AM
I remember the Saints (I believe) got a loooooong completion on Tramon Williams, and Shields came across the field and ran him down. Shields is the fastest player on the field when he's in, so he can afford to gamble a bit.

It is a yes and no -- SS sometimes is chasing his own receiver after being beat by peeking. SS is fast after 5-10 yds but not explosive in the more critical initail 1-2 yard area.

LegandofthePack15
01-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Sometimes peeks in the backfield and relies on speed to catch-up.

Once SS stops peeking -- lockdown corner.

Agreed.

LegandofthePack15
01-18-2013, 08:33 AM

I may be wrong but one game - I think the Saints game - Shields allowed a long bomb, caught up with his guy and proceeded to miss the tackle. I wrote about it in one of my popular "Mice & Men" thread.

Too lazy to check. Will let Kentucky do it for me. :mrgreen:

SkinBasket
01-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Is SS another "show me the money" brother?

God, you are so racist.

pbmax
01-18-2013, 09:11 AM
He played good technique on the TD too, pretty hard to say the result was a lapse in his coverage. Maybe in a year he knocks the pass out at the end :).

I think time will still bear out your prediction on Shields. He was one of the guys doing some serious work against that Niners offense. The fact that he was challenged to shore up his tackling and he clearly has worked on it is a good sign, IMO.

Capers said someone in the middle zone should have peeled over to this route and gotten there in time. And that didn't happen.

rbaloha1
01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
God, you are so racist.

Learned from you my braddah!:grin: