PDA

View Full Version : LOL @ PFT.com

red
08-22-2006, 09:45 AM
ok, many people hate the site, and i'm up and down on it

but today they had up a couple of things that made me laugh out lound, and i couldn't agree more with

the first one

"The Packers have cut P B.J. Sander, a 2004 third-round draft pick. (Nice work, Mike Sherman.)"

couldn't have said it better myself. and the very next line

"The Packers are going with two rookies at guard. (Nice work, Mike Sherman.)"

LOL

so its not just us mike sherman haters tthat think sherman really screwed up this team. the fans of our enemies (floria), also think he screwed us up

]{ilr]3
08-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Wasnt it TT that left Mike Whale and Riviera go?

Zool
08-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Again, no one LET Wahle go. He wanted to leave and wasnt going to resign. Rivera could have been servicable for a few more years, but not at the money Dallas threw at him.

Chester Marcol
08-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Here we go again........

BlueBrewer
08-22-2006, 10:11 AM
{ilr]3]Wasnt it TT that left Mike Whale and Riviera go?

Yes but it was because he could not afford to pay them because Sherman had all the money tied up in Hunt, KGB, Joe Johnson, and so on.

BF4MVP
08-22-2006, 11:17 AM
LOL

I hate PFT, but that's pretty funny :lol:

red
08-22-2006, 11:55 AM
{ilr]3]Wasnt it TT that left Mike Whale and Riviera go?

i think it was sherman that signed wahle to his insane deal that included the 11 million dollar bonus. we either had to take the 11 million dollar hit, which we couldn't afford to do, cut him, or resign him. wahle didn't want to resign for what we could offer. rivera was greatly overpaid, again more then we could afford for a guard when we had so many other needs with so little money at the time

we were put in cap hell my mismanagement, or a huge gamble. sherman really did look like he was willing to throw away the future for 1 or 2 real runs at the super bowl by signing the guys to massive backloaded deals. 4th and 22 happened, and after that we fell into the cap hell. that was our one chance i think that sherman was going for. it failed, and we are still paying for that gamble

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Again, no one LET Wahle go. He wanted to leave and wasnt going to resign. Rivera could have been servicable for a few more years, but not at the money Dallas threw at him.

There was a time to secure Wahle and a delay sent him packing for a fine contract. He stated that he wanted to remain a Packer last season but..... Carolina was smart and offered a Contract he had to take.

Rivera wasn't worth a risk (knee's) of the money he secured in Dallas.

Marco "in fact" struggled last season, and again the Dallas OL is a concern this season. Bledsoe? Not good behind a weak OL.

GO PACK GO !! FAITH in 2006 Packer fans.

red
08-22-2006, 12:32 PM

There was a time to secure Wahle and a delay sent him packing for a fine contract. He stated that he wanted to remain a Packer last season but..... Carolina was smart and offered a Contract he had to take.

Marco "in fact" struggled last season, and again the Dallas OL is a concern this season. Bledsoe? Not good behind a weak OL.

GO PACK GO !! FAITH in 2006 Packer fans.

rivera screwed up his back real bad in training camp last year, and i think he missed a good amount of time.

sure wahle says he wanted to stay, i would too if the team had to pay me 11 million to stay. either the packers were going to pay him that huge bonus, or he was going to get it elsewere .

put yourself in his shoes. would you renegotiate? the team owed him 11 million if he stayed, that was in his contract, he was suppose to get that. the team could have redone the deal and turned that 11 million dollar roster bonus into a singing bonus for a new deal, but even an 11 million dollar signing bonus is huge for a guard, for us at the time anyways. he knew that either he stuck to his guns and green bay had to fork over that 11 million, or they would cut him, and he would get more on the open market. i think at that point it really would have been tuff to resign wahle, and we would be in cap hell to this day because of it

we let the two vastly overpaid guards go and we got out of the cap hell. the bad thing is we did very little to bring in decent replacements with all that new cap room we had. now we're stuck having to wait for rookies to figure out the pro game

Guiness
08-22-2006, 02:57 PM
I can't believe this is being revisited!

Another reality in all of this is that the Pack gambled on a more conservative increase to the salary cap. If they had guessed differently about the jump it was going to take, I tend to think they would've held on to him.

BTW was it an $11million bonus? I thought it was $6.

pbmax
08-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Lo-Gan Man-kins :::::clap clap, clapclapclap

the_idle_threat
08-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the update, Tank. :razz:

red
08-22-2006, 07:24 PM
I can't believe this is being revisited!

Another reality in all of this is that the Pack gambled on a more conservative increase to the salary cap. If they had guessed differently about the jump it was going to take, I tend to think they would've held on to him.

BTW was it an $11million bonus? I thought it was $6.

hey the sites back up, i tried to respond to this hours ago.

i think you're right guiness. he would have counted 11 million against the cap, but the bonus was 6 million he was due. thats still a lot for 1 guard to count against the cap, if we could have even fit him under the cap.

and what i said before i still think holds true. that 11 million would have had to be signing bonus money for any new deal he got, again, a lot for a guard

]{ilr]3
08-22-2006, 07:34 PM

I guess my point was, why was it Shermans fault :wink:

Points that others have shown. Thanks! :cool:

CaliforniaCheez
08-22-2006, 08:08 PM
I am amazed that as often this is brought up. Rivera's contract was up and he signed for more than what the Packers were willing to pay. Ingle Martin was selected with the compensatory pick.

It was Ted Thompson that cut Mike Wahle with no compensation in return.

As Packer fans you should get your facts straight. It bothers me when so many are so ignorant of easily documented facts from only a year and a half ago.

BTW Thompson cut Wahle, Sharper, Roman, both Thomases without working out a trade or receiving compensation in return.

Sparkey
08-22-2006, 08:32 PM
I am amazed that as often this is brought up. Rivera's contract was up and he signed for more than what the Packers were willing to pay. Ingle Martin was selected with the compensatory pick.

As Packer fans you should get your facts straight. It bothers me when so many are so ignorant of easily documented facts from only a year and a half ago.

BTW Thompson cut Wahle, Sharper, Roman, both Thomases without working out a trade or receiving compensation in return.

Other than Wahle, the rest were about as worthless as used chewing gum.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Patler
08-22-2006, 08:37 PM

To be able to trade Wahle the Packers would have had to pay his bonus, which was due March 1. The bonus would have stayed on their salary cap, the new team would be responsible only for his salary. How do you fit THAT under the cap. If you can afford to carry the bonus, you can afford to carry the player.

Outside of draft day related trades, how many trades are there in the NFL? Not very many. There are more low level trades, like the one the Packers made today, than there are with legitimate players. Toward the end of TC there can be some when a team is devastated at a position by injuries and wants a player that will be cut but may not get to them before being claimed.

Contracts today with bonuses and all make trades very difficult, and that's what the players want. It allows them to pick where they go rather than the team deciding where to send them.

4and12to12and4
08-22-2006, 08:41 PM

Other than Wahle, the rest were about as worthless as used chewing gum.Hindsight is always 20/20.

You're right on there, except maybe Sharper, I'd say if he was used chewing gum, he still had some flavor left. :mrgreen:

CaliforniaCheez
08-22-2006, 08:51 PM

Sharper led NFC in interceptions last year(2nd NFL), and started for the Vikings singlehandedly winning 2 games for them last year.

Roman was third on the Packers in tackles last year. He starts for the 49'ers.

If you saw MNF this week Joey Thomas started opposite of Mike McKenzie for the Saints.

Robert Thomas will be on the Raiders roster this year.

Why do I have to point out the obvious in response to an ignorant remark?

red
08-22-2006, 08:54 PM

who would have given up something for him? the packers absolutely could not keep him at his current cap number, and he was unwilling to redue his contract. wahle probably didn't want to resign knowing damn well he could get huge money on the open market. teams around the nfl knew that we HAD to get rid of him. i doubt anybody would give up a pick wen they knew he would be on the open market soon. a trade wouldn't have been bad for the other team because wahles after trade cap numbers wern't that bad, but he did want a new deal. but still, why would they give up anything when they knew the team had to get rid of him.

TT could have tried to get him to redo his deal, but i really think wahle knew he would hit the jackpot if he hit the open market. and he did, he got 11.5 million in bonus money last year, more then what green bay would have given him under his old deal

add to that the fact that wahle said he wanted to move on and i really don't think we could have gotten anything for him

his contract was really messed up IMO

his last few years were

2005 5 million base salary 6 million roster bonus
2006 1.5 million dollar salary no bonus
2007 1 million dollar salary no bonus

why couldn't that one giant year be slip up over the last 3 years better? the answer is that giant bonus was there by design. its put there in giant backloaded contracts by the teams and agents. it says on this date, you give my player a new deal, or you cut him.

it would have been nice if it could have looked like

2005 5 million salary 2 million roster bonus= 7 million cap hit instead of 11
2006 3 million dollar salary= 3 and maybe some pro rated signing bonus
2007 3 million dollar salary no bonus= 3 million cap hit

that would have given him almost the same amount of money over that period, and would have allowed us to keep him. but it also would have been easier for the team to cut hit if his play started to slip, thats why the agent would have demanded that big year

i'm guessing that would be close to the money his new deal will give him over those three years, maybe a little less

Sparkey
08-22-2006, 09:03 PM

Sharper led NFC in interceptions last year(2nd NFL), and started for the Vikings singlehandedly winning 2 games for them last year.

Roman was third on the Packers in tackles last year. He starts for the 49'ers.

If you saw MNF this week Joey Thomas started opposite of Mike McKenzie for the Saints.

Robert Thomas will be on the Raiders roster this year.

Why do I have to point out the obvious in response to an ignorant remark?

How good was the Vikings TEAM defense ?

Roman starting for the 49ers.....Whoop de doo

Joey Thomas.........NO played Dallas tough last night

Robert Thomas.......Raiders bench .... yawn

CaliforniaCheez
08-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Wahle's contract was poorly wrtten with the ballon payment. However, there often is the ability to have someone else help in the job. I mean tell the agent he has permission to seek a trade. It would have helped the agent and the Packers. The agent could have had a plan A and plan B and sought the best compensation for his client through trade or lining up bidding in the free agent "auction".

We do not know what attempts to renegotiate the contract went on if any.

Crying over spilled milk will not bring the water to back to the other side of the bridge.

The fact remains that Ted Thompson cut Wahle.

Packers4Ever
08-22-2006, 09:10 PM
[quote="woodbuck27"][quote=Zool]Again, no one LET Wahle go. He wanted to leave and wasnt going to resign. Rivera could have been servicable for a few more years, but not at the money Dallas threw at him.

Nice explanation, Red, even I could understand it! :wink:
I think seeing as this topic comes up at fairly frequent
intervals, someone should just Copy and Paste it to the
Main Page. Save a lot of time and questions. We don't need
to Poll it first, do we?
Jude

]