PDA

View Full Version : QB pressure

KYPack
01-18-2013, 11:41 AM
I've tried to begin the healing process by figuring out what the hell happened this season. A real good site is Pro Football Focus. The site hits you with a blizzard of numbers, sometimes so many numbers that you get pissed and move along. I went to the section for pass rushing and this is what I've found. According to PFF, top pass pass rushing team by PFF metrics was the Eagles. Philly had a 27.6% disruption rate, a little more than 1 of every 4 pass plays. The GBP came in at 20.8%, or 1 every 5 pass plays. That ranked us second to last in the NFL. This all made me want to call bullshit. I saw Philly a few times last year. "Pesky" is about the best thing I could say about Philly

The thing that got my attention was the individual statistics on our D players. These stats don't include blitzers (Wood had 43 rush attempts, but isn't in this).

Our number one pass rusher was obviously CMIII. 12.76% of his rushes resulted in a sack, QB hit, or a hurry. The number 2 guy surprised me. Mike Neal at 10.93%. I thought he had a much better year this season, but the guy has turned the corner.

Here's the whole list

Clay Matthews 12.76%
Mike Neal 10.93%
Nick Perry 9.52%
Dezman Moses 8.24%
Mike Daniels 7.02%
Erik Walden 6.81%
BJ Raji 6.22%
CJ Wilson 5.56%
Jerel Worthy 2.56%
Ryan Pickett 2.23%

Perry was a bit of a surprise. He started so slow, I wrote his year off. I didn't think he made that much of a contribution. The other stat that jumped out at me was Worthy. I thought he chipped in a little this year, but he was one of the worst ranked DL's in the league.

Dezman Moses got more snaps in the year as the season wound down, The chart shows why. Many posters have stated we need another high pick in the front 7 to ramp up pass rush. This data tends to confirm that wish.

mraynrand
01-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Isn't a staple of the Capers 3-4 (and Pitt's 3-4, as well as others) the 'criss-cross' pass rush from the ILBs. Now, maybe the infrequency of that particular pass rush changes how you look at it, but given that the percentage ranks effectiveness, it seems as though that interior pass rush from the LBs was a wash out this year.

KYPack
01-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Isn't a staple of the Capers 3-4 (and Pitt's 3-4, as well as others) the 'criss-cross' pass rush from the ILBs. Now, maybe the infrequency of that particular pass rush changes how you look at it, but given that the percentage ranks effectiveness, it seems as though that interior pass rush from the LBs was a wash out this year.

Yeah.

Capers, LeBeau, & Rob Ryan are the chief devotees of fire zone blitzes. The cross blitz is also known as the "Fire-X". Other than Bishop, our ILB's don't run that one worth a shit. This table doesn't include the ILB's, S's, or corners. That might actually HELP our score. Hayward's number would be around 0.0% for instance. Tramon would be pretty close to that.

We need to put heat on the QB. We really haven't done much of that over the last two years.

mraynrand
01-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah.

Capers, LeBeau, & Rob Ryan are the chief devotees of fire zone blitzes. The cross blitz is also known as the "Fire-X". Other than Bishop, our ILB's don't run that one worth a shit. This table doesn't include the ILB's, S's, or corners. That might actually HELP our score. Hayward's number would be around 0.0% for instance. Tramon would be pretty close to that.

We need to put heat on the QB. We really haven't done much of that over the last two years.

That's where the drop off in Woodson's performance has hurt the most. 2009 through his injury in 2010, he was getting between two and three guys to flush the QB. I think they eventually want Hayward to take that role (the "W" position), but he just might not be able to do it. Bush is actually OK at pass rush, but since he's not good at any other aspect of a D-back except maybe tackling, he's a total liability on the field. If you put him in just to pass rush, the defense knows what's coming.

smuggler
01-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Bush is actually OK at pass rush, but since he's not good at any other aspect of a D-back except maybe tackling, he's a total liability on the field. If you put him in just to pass rush, the defense knows what's coming.

I would hope so! Now, if the offense knew it was coming, on the other hand...

pbmax
01-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Bush would be perfect to deploy against the 49ers if he could play inside or safety. But eventually they will see him and throw it right at his head. They should train him to turn his head to the QB at the sound of a whistle that Whitt blows when the QB launches the ball. Or something.

We miss Nick Collins.

smuggler
01-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Definitely true. I thought, maybe, that GB could just let Raji go and convert back to a 4-3 defense. This would allow us to maximize Worthy and Neal as DTs, and use Perry as a true DE. Matthews could do as Von Miller does and rush from the linebacker spot.

mraynrand
01-18-2013, 02:29 PM
I would hope so! Now, if the offense knew it was coming, on the other hand...

:doh:

Bossman641
01-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Hey KY,
Are these percentages based on 1 on 1 opportunities or all pass rush attempts in general?

KYPack
01-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Hey KY,
Are these percentages based on 1 on 1 opportunities or all pass rush attempts in general?

Pass attmepts in general.

If the other team passes and you don't get a sack, a hurry or a hit on the QB, that's a mark against you.

Even if you are triple teamed.

I was kind of struck by how close the teams were. The best team in the league was 28% and the worst was 20%?

That's pretty tight.

3irty1
01-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Nice thread.

Neal seems to be in that Burnett category--on a watch list for a breakout season.

Looks like they got what they wanted out of Daniels this season too. With a healthy Perry, Bishop, and another draft this group should get exponentially better.

woodbuck27
01-19-2013, 01:13 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/

PRO FOOTBALL Focus