PDA

View Full Version : Packers DE Jerel Worthy underwent surgery for a torn ACL last week.

packers11
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Per rotoworld...

Packers DE Jerel Worthy underwent surgery for a torn ACL last week.

So much for that initial bone bruise diagnosis. Worthy visited Dr. James Andrews in Florida on Tuesday and underwent the reconstruction. Green Bay's 2012 second-round pick will now be up against the clock to be ready for Week 1, and will most likely start the season on the PUP list. Worthy produced just 2.5 sacks in an all-around underwhelming rookie year.

red
01-20-2013, 03:28 PM
screw the PUP, he'll be IR'd for the year

another injury that turned out being worse then first thought

denverYooper
01-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Viva la CJ Wilson!

rbaloha1
01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
screw the PUP, he'll be IR'd for the year

another injury that turned out being worse then first thought

Justin Harrell II. Its time to draft more Ryan Pickett types.

JohnMexico
01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
This pick has looked like a bust for about 3 months

Joemailman
01-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Justin Harrell II. Its time to draft more Ryan Pickett types.

You're being a little hasty perhaps. Pickett didn't do much as a rookie in St. Louis as a rookie either.

RashanGary
01-20-2013, 05:12 PM
He's in trouble for year 2. Just like Sherrod, rookie players just can't afford to lose the valuable strength building and practice time. Look for Worthy to have a ho-hum 2nd season (at best.)

I'll hold off judgement until year 3 now.

rbaloha1
01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
You're being a little hasty perhaps. Pickett didn't do much as a rookie in St. Louis as a rookie either.

Better to be hasty than hopes he develops.

pbmax
01-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Better to be hasty than hopes he develops.

Brian Williams, Tramon Williams and Aaron Rodgers think you are dead wrong.

rbaloha1
01-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Brian Williams, Tramon Williams and Aaron Rodgers think you are dead wrong.

Was Tramon Williams and A-rod coming off injury?

Justin Harrell says you are dead wrong.

pbmax
01-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Was Tramon Williams and A-rod coming off injury?

Justin Harrell says you are dead wrong.

Rodgers yes, broken foot. Brian Williams had an injury one of those first two years as well.

rbaloha1
01-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Rodgers yes, broken foot. Brian Williams had an injury one of those first two years as well.

A broken foot compared to major ACL surgery -- you are grasping.

Thank goodness you are not making personnel decisions -- high draft pick, major injury -- we will not address until its too late.

pbmax
01-20-2013, 06:45 PM
A broken foot compared to major ACL surgery -- you are grasping.

Thank goodness you are not making personnel decisions -- high draft pick, major injury -- we will not address until its too late.

How about Mike Flanagan?

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Shit happens, Alex Green tore his ACL and considering he was less than a year removed he had a decent season. They guy isn't AP, but who is?

Worthy can actually get better through rehab. He is going to be working muscles he didn't even know he had. As long as it is just an ACL he can be back, I think year 2014 will now be his make or break year, like any rookie look at year 3 for realized potential.

Rbaloha1, why are you such a prick?

Pugger
01-20-2013, 07:02 PM

:roll:

D linemen don't gel as rookies.

rbaloha1
01-20-2013, 07:04 PM
How about Mike Flanagan?

What about Mark D'ofornnio (sp) linebacker from Penn State, Abdul Hodge and John Dorsey?

rbaloha1
01-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Shit happens, Alex Green tore his ACL and considering he was less than a year removed he had a decent season. They guy isn't AP, but who is?

Worthy can actually get better through rehab. He is going to be working muscles he didn't even know he had. As long as it is just an ACL he can be back, I think year 2014 will now be his make or break year, like any rookie look at year 3 for realized potential.

Rbaloha1, why are you such a prick?

What is so pricky?

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
You have said it about a dozen times this week when you disagree with someone else's take that "you are glad they aren't making decisions." Well no shit Sherlock, we are either fans or interested parties, certainly not NFL front office personnel. If I had a front office job this would be the last place I would be wasting my time.

Joemailman
01-20-2013, 07:10 PM

So...rookies get until October of their rookie year to prove themselves, and if not, they're a bust? :lol:

Patler
01-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Willie Buchanon, Eddie Lee Ivory, Aaron Taylor, Mike Flanagan just a few examples of high draft picks of the Packers who had major injuries in their rookie seasons, but came back to have productive careers; some more productive than others. No reason to give up on Worthy just yet.

rbaloha1
01-20-2013, 07:14 PM
You have said it about a dozen times this week when you disagree with someone else's take that "you are glad they aren't making decisions." Well no shit Sherlock, we are either fans or interested parties, certainly not NFL front office personnel. If I had a front office job this would be the last place I would be wasting my time.

Hey Deputy Nutz why are you such a prick?

Pugger
01-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Willie Buchanon, Eddie Lee Ivory, Aaron Taylor, Mike Flanagan just a few examples of high draft picks of the Packers who had major injuries in their rookie seasons, but came back to have productive careers; some more productive than others. No reason to give up on Worthy just yet.

Or Derrick Sherrod.

rbaloha1
01-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Or Derrick Sherrod.

Great points.

pbmax
01-20-2013, 07:19 PM
What about Mark D'ofornnio (sp) linebacker from Penn State, Abdul Hodge and John Dorsey?

So should we cut Alex Green now because no one recovers from a serious injury ever?

rbaloha1
01-20-2013, 07:25 PM
So should we cut Alex Green now because no one recovers from a serious injury ever?

Did I say that?

Patler
01-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Or Derrick Sherrod.

Sherrod isn't done yet. Flanagan was out for the better part of three seasons before his career got going. The point isn't that Worthy will be full go in 2013, the point is that there is not a reason to give up on him yet.

No reason to give up on Sherrod, or Quarless for that matter, just yet either.

Patler
01-20-2013, 07:44 PM

D'Onofrio had a serious torn hamstring before they knew how to repair them. That type of injury is still more of a concern than some other injuries are. For that reason, I'm not convinced that Bishop will ever be the same either.

Torn ACL? Isn't usually that significant anymore, but may take until the second year post-surgery.

Hodge? Dorsey? I think their careers were impacted more by ability than their injuries, weren't they?

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Hey Deputy Nutz why are you such a prick?

Because God made me such a bad ass.

rbaloha1
01-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Because God made me such a bad ass.

R U trying to be a comedian?

Joemailman
01-20-2013, 10:35 PM
D'Onofrio had a serious torn hamstring before they knew how to repair them. That type of injury is still more of a concern than some other injuries are. For that reason, I'm not convinced that Bishop will ever be the same either.

Torn ACL? Isn't usually that significant anymore, but may take until the second year post-surgery.

Hodge? Dorsey? I think their careers were impacted more by ability than their injuries, weren't they?

Hodge missed the 2007 season with an injury, but was healthy when the Packers released him in the final cuts in 2008. He went on to play a little bit for Cincinnati. Don't know about Dorsey.

Pugger
01-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Sherrod isn't done yet. Flanagan was out for the better part of three seasons before his career got going. The point isn't that Worthy will be full go in 2013, the point is that there is not a reason to give up on him yet.

No reason to give up on Sherrod, or Quarless for that matter, just yet either.

I've seen posters on various other Packer forums declaring Sherrod a bust already. :roll:

Patler
01-21-2013, 12:11 AM
I've seen posters on various other Packer forums declaring Sherrod a bust already. :roll:

I have to admit, I'm not enthused about him, but it has nothing to do with his broken leg. I know some thought he was starting to show something when he got hurt. I didn't feel that way. I hope I'm wrong.

Haven't heard anything about him since he was IR'ed. Sure hope he is a full participant in the off season stuff.

smuggler
01-21-2013, 05:42 AM
While it's disheartening to hear about Worthy's surgery, I think he did show flashes of his ability. Unlike his offensive line counterpart, Sherrod, who hasn't really ever displayed the supposed ability that got him drafted. I'm still hopeful for both, but at this point, I'd take Worthy in a landslide.

mraynrand
01-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Worthy is injury prone

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2013, 08:48 AM
I have to admit, I'm not enthused about him, but it has nothing to do with his broken leg. I know some thought he was starting to show something when he got hurt. I didn't feel that way. I hope I'm wrong.

Haven't heard anything about him since he was IR'ed. Sure hope he is a full participant in the off season stuff.

He was very unpolished when the Packers drafted him. He wasn't ready to play, and that was ok because the Packers didn't pencil him as a starter. When Clifton got hurt, and then Bulaga he came off the bench. He missed all of the off season because of the lock out. He has had an up hill climb. The jury is still out on him big time.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2013, 08:48 AM
R U trying to be a comedian?

God also blessed me with a wonderful sense of humor.

Patler
01-21-2013, 08:58 AM
He was very unpolished when the Packers drafted him. He wasn't ready to play, and that was ok because the Packers didn't pencil him as a starter. When Clifton got hurt, and then Bulaga he came off the bench. He missed all of the off season because of the lock out. He has had an up hill climb. The jury is still out on him big time.

Ya, I agree. All the 2011 rookies had an uphill battle that year, and for one who missed the entire 2012 off season there is another hurdle to overcome. On the plus side, his broken leg was late in the season so he had nearly a full season of practices during his rookie season.

I haven't given up on him at all, just don't have real high expectations. Probably not as high as I did when he was drafted, before seeing him play.

rbaloha1
01-21-2013, 09:01 AM
God also blessed me with a wonderful sense of humor.

Which God?

rbaloha1
01-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Worthy is injury prone

Yup -- getting close to becoming Harrell II

rbaloha1
01-21-2013, 09:07 AM

Sherrod looked horrible at guard.

A natural left tackle. Very long and athletic. Reminds of the Jets left tackle Ferguson. DS displayed good feet and explosiveness from his stance. Unsure about recovering ability after getting beat.

Barring injury imo another Cliffy type career.

Joemailman
01-21-2013, 09:14 AM

A natural left tackle. Very long and athletic. Reminds of the Jets left tackle Ferguson. DS displayed good feet and explosiveness from his stance. Unsure about recovering ability after getting beat.

Yep. MM tried him at LG and it went badly and seemed to destroy his confidence for a while. When Bulaga went down at Atlanta, he had a tough first series before recovering to play pretty well. I thought he was having a good game at Kansas City before his injury. If he can fully recover from his injury, I still like his chances of taking the LT spot from Newhouse. It's probably a pretty big if though. That was a bad injury.

mraynrand
01-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Which God?

The god of skinny punks

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/jade_scar047/micbac12/TommyBoy.jpg

mraynrand
01-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Yep. MM tried him at LG and it went badly and seemed to destroy his confidence for a while. When Bulaga went down at Atlanta, he had a tough first series before recovering to play pretty well. I thought he was having a good game at Kansas City before his injury. If he can fully recover from his injury, I still like his chances of taking the LT spot from Newhouse. It's probably a pretty big if though. That was a bad injury.

Just a few more weeks and he'll be walking without the Hurrycane

http://www.independentliving.com/images/142416.jpg

RashanGary
01-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Newhouse will b 24 at the start of next season. Js said he stayed the same as a player, but ii disagree. Rodgers held the ball bad this year and w the rt trouble, he was left alone w the best of the best. And he held up. He's still getting better. He'll have another off season to get stronger and leaner. He'll have another o season to get stronger in his technique. My bet is on marshmallow over a healthy sherrod. Next year will be the start of MN prime. I think he's a good player. A good starting lt. We haven't seen his best, even yet.

pbmax
01-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Newhouse will b 24 at the start of next season. Js said he stayed the same as a player, but ii disagree. Rodgers held the ball bad this year and w the rt trouble, he was left alone w the best of the best. And he held up. He's still getting better. He'll have another off season to get stronger and leaner. He'll have another o season to get stronger in his technique. My bet is on marshmallow over a healthy sherrod. Next year will be the start of MN prime. I think he's a good player. A good starting lt. We haven't seen his best, even yet.

He just gives up too early. And I don't mean compared to Rodgers, he just shuts down WAY too early at times. Lets his guy continue to wreak havoc while he stops. He's a fantastic backup but would love to replace him as a starter.

Bretsky
01-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Besides being long and having an ideal body for a LT, I can't go any further with the above comparieson. Ferguson.....far more talented, strong, much greater ability. I just hope Sherry turns out to be an average starting Lineman

Bretsky
01-21-2013, 07:00 PM
He just gives up too early. And I don't mean compared to Rodgers, he just shuts down WAY too early at times. Lets his guy continue to wreak havoc while he stops. He's a fantastic backup but would love to replace him as a starter.Clearly he's better at his position than your boy Brad Jones then :)

Joemailman
01-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Besides being long and having an ideal body for a LT, I can't go any further with the above comparieson. Ferguson.....far more talented, strong, much greater ability. I just hope Sherry turns out to be an average starting Lineman

I was very impressed with Sherrod's footwork when watching film of him at Mississippi State. He frankly reminded me of Clifton in that way. Ferguson is very strong now, but he wasn't coming out of college. We've only seen Sherrod briefly as a rookie, so we can't rule out that he too will be able to improve his strength. If he can, I think he has a chance to be an above-average OT. Few are in Ferguson's class though.

George Cumby
01-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Hodge missed the 2007 season with an injury, but was healthy when the Packers released him in the final cuts in 2008. He went on to play a little bit for Cincinnati. Don't know about Dorsey.

Hodge was badly slowed by tendinitis in his knees.

Joemailman
01-21-2013, 11:00 PM
I was just reading McGinn and he said Worthy had his weight down to the mid-280's before he got hurt. No wonder he struggled inside. Now he's had ACL surgery that will keep him out of the off-season training program. I wonder if he'll play in 2013.

RashanGary
01-22-2013, 02:08 AM
He just gives up too early. And I don't mean compared to Rodgers, he just shuts down WAY too early at times. Lets his guy continue to wreak havoc while he stops. He's a fantastic backup but would love to replace him as a starter.

I'll bet you don't get your wish.

I'd love to have a great LT. I think we're going to have an above average to good one for the next 6 years or so. I don't think he's good enough to play into his 30's. He's going to need every ounce of ability he has to play the position. But up to age 29/30. . . That jobs not so easy to replace, and I think it's his. He could be replaced some time in the next 6 years, but whoever does it is going to need at least a year (a healthy year) on the bench.

I'm actually pulling for Sherrod too. I just don't see it, and if I am going to see it, I don't expect it to be until after next season.

Patler
01-22-2013, 02:59 AM
I raised the following about Sherrod:

Sort of got an answer in the GBPG today, and its not all that encouraging:

An injury of that magnitude, with the amount of nerve damage involved, has raised questions about whether the 6-foot-6, 321-pound tackle will be able to play again. The Packers believe he will, but whether that’s in time to take part in his first offseason program remains to be seen.

KYPack
01-22-2013, 05:22 AM
That information pisses me off. There have been so many contrary reports about Sherrod's injury. First it was "He's so lucky, they were clean breaks with little to no nerve/muscle damage". That sounded good, but too good to be true. Now they are saying he might not be ready for camp (OTA's). He needs OTA's and a decent off-season weight program to be of much help in '13.

If '13 is a washout, we'll have a 4th year rookie way behind the curve in '14.

That's fucked up.

3irty1
01-22-2013, 06:07 AM
I was big on Newhouse as a draft prospect. But I think he had his worst year yet as a pass protector. You can't have an NFL left tackle who gets beat inside. If Sherrod is still as bad as he was his rookie year he's still good enough to win the job in a fair fight with Newhouse.

Iron Mike
01-22-2013, 07:00 AM
If I had a front office job this would be the last place I would be wasting my time.

You know what those front office jobs are for???

http://occupyfun.com/media/photos/3/1761-hot-secretary.jpg

mraynrand
01-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Now that's a personal desk assistant!

pbmax
01-22-2013, 10:02 AM
[/B]Clearly he's better at his position than your boy Brad Jones then :)

Brad Jones could cover you like a blanket even if you were on your bike.

pbmax
01-22-2013, 10:06 AM
I raised the following about Sherrod:

Sort of got an answer in the GBPG today, and its not all that encouraging:

That information pisses me off. There have been so many contrary reports about Sherrod's injury. First it was "He's so lucky, they were clean breaks with little to no nerve/muscle damage". That sounded good, but too good to be true. Now they are saying he might not be ready for camp (OTA's). He needs OTA's and a decent off-season weight program to be of much help in '13.

If '13 is a washout, we'll have a 4th year rookie way behind the curve in '14.

That's fucked up.

It all sounds like reports of Flanagan's recovery. At one point, when he was first cleared to practice but the year before he was active for games, there was a press report about how just watching him jog was painful to behold. He then went on to become a Pro-Bowler.

I hope reports of his setbacks are just that, a function of time not a limit on playing.

Cheesehead Craig
01-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Hodge was badly slowed by tendinitis in his knees.

Hodge had no knees coming out of college. He was a poor draft choice.

Smeefers
01-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Mike Neal was injury riddled for his first couple seasons, hell, even this one. The thing is, when he's been on the field, he's showing more and more of what he could turn into. Who knows though? Maybe he's peaked. He's done enough for me to be okay giving him one more season. I'll give Sherrod some time too, just because of potential.

I have a hard time figuring out why rb wants to throw Worthy out the door so soon. I don't know if it's just an emotional thought, or if he's just picking a crazy stance and trying to defend it for fun. Normally you give a high 2nd rounder a little bit of time to prove themselves before you throw them out the door. Alex Green hasn't had the best start to his career, but I'm not willing to give up on him quite yet.

run pMc
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
They took Worthy off the field on a cart and were looking at his knee...my first thought was "it's an ACL". I'm not surprised. If quickness is supposed to be his game, I'm not optimistic. He's on a rookie contract and could still become a decent rotational player...so I wouldn't give up on him. If he's as gung-ho as described he might rededicate himself to the weight room and surprise people.
I thought Daniels played a little better.

rbaloha1
01-22-2013, 05:44 PM
They took Worthy off the field on a cart and were looking at his knee...my first thought was "it's an ACL". I'm not surprised. If quickness is supposed to be his game, I'm not optimistic. He's on a rookie contract and could still become a decent rotational player...so I wouldn't give up on him. If he's as gung-ho as described he might rededicate himself to the weight room and surprise people.

Daniels is scrappy. Not a starter but solid backup.

Iron Mike
01-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Daniels is Scrappy.

http://newspaper.li/static/d3532adc431dd49951f6a9e3227dc63b.jpg

Puppy power!!!!!

3irty1
01-23-2013, 03:04 PM

I wouldn't expect this to seriously degrade him or take away his first step like an achilles would. Worthy showed as much as a rookie DT usually does.

Bretsky
01-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Brad Jones could cover you like a blanket even if you were on your bike.

Brad Jones would be in the wrong position, and then slip and fall down when his only responsiblity was to shadow Lynn Dickey from running 50 yards for a TD

KYPack
01-23-2013, 09:49 PM

Statistically, Daniels played a lot better. These numbers track QB pressure by the front five boys, down lineman and OLB's. Sacks, QB hits,& hurries....

Clay Matthews 12.76%
Mike Neal 10
Nick Perry 9.52%
Dezman Moses 8.24%
Mike Daniels 7.02%
Erik Walden 6.81%
BJ Raji 6.22%
CJ Wilson 5.56%
Jerel Worthy 2.56%
Ryan Pickett 2.23%

MDaniel's numbers were pretty damned good for a rookie interior DL.
Worthy has talent, but he's got to broaden his arsenal. He basically uses one move and a counter. It will take more solid moves than that to make him an effective PR force from the inside.

I wanna see Nick Perry, Clay Matthews, Mike Neal, Dezman Moses,
& Mike Daniels on the field at the same time in second and third & long situation. If Worthy gets healthy after camp spot him in that rotation, after "learnin'" him some tricks. I'm sure Turgo's got a gimmick or two the kid can put in his PR golf bag

Joemailman
01-24-2013, 08:24 AM
That's amazing that Perry's numbers barely exceeded Pickett's. Definitely needs to get his body stronger. How much can a guy work on upper body strength while rehabilitating a knee?

run pMc
01-24-2013, 10:18 AM
I wanna see Nick Perry, Clay Matthews, Mike Neal, Dezman Moses, & Mike Daniels on the field at the same time in second and third & long situation.

Those are really interesting stats...not sure what the source is. I do wonder where a healthy Desmond Bishop would have ended up.
This is going to be an important offseason for Nick Perry...all the rookies, really.

How much can a guy work on upper body strength while rehabilitating a knee?
I wonder about this too. I'd expect some things could be done without much trouble post-surgery.

Cheesehead Craig
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Brad Jones would be in the wrong position, and then slip and fall down when his only responsiblity was to shadow Lynn Dickey from running 50 yards for a TD

Now that's just harsh.

smuggler
01-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Hodge had no knees coming out of college. He was a poor draft choice.

Everything about Hodge was great, except the knees, to be fair.

pbmax
01-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Everything about Hodge was great, except the knees, to be fair.

If every running back the Packers faced was Travis Jervey, he would have been All-Pro.