PDA

View Full Version : Trgovac: Pickett 'definitely has another good year left in him'

SnakeLH2006
01-22-2013, 07:24 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130116/PKR0101/130116040/Green-Bay-Packers-DT-Ryan-Pickett-definitely-has-another-good-year-left-in-him-

As Mike Trgovac observed from the sideline this season, Ryan Pickett didn’t look the part of a 33-year-old veteran playing one of the league’s most grueling positions.

In most cases, what the Green Bay Packers’ defensive line coach saw was the same hungry defensive tackle he absorbed in 2009 when he was brought in as a part of Dom Capers’ staff.

Going into next season, Trgovac isn’t expecting that to change.

Now a veteran of 12 NFL seasons, Pickett continues to produce in the heart of the Packers’ base defensive front. Often a defensive lineman’s durability is questioned once they eclipse the 30-year-old threshold, but Pickett appears to still have something left.

A first-round pick by St. Louis in 2000, Pickett hasn’t posed much of a threat in the pass rush since the Packers moved to the 3-4 – he has one sack in his last 57 games – but his ability to eat up blockers and clog the middle have been important facets of the team’s run defense.

The lack of specialty numbers limit his Pro Bowl attractiveness, but he was as consistent as any defensive lineman the Packers had on the roster this season despite being the unit’s most senior member by seven years.

“I think Ryan has some more football left in him. I really do,” said Trgovac, who estimated Pickett played roughly 100 more snaps than he did a season ago.

"He was able to stay healthy this year. He came into training camp in relatively good shape. He fits our defense very well and takes a lot of pride in what he does. I didn’t see him fall off at all this year. I think he definitely has another good year left in him.”

Pickett, who turns 34 next October, had 51 tackles this year to mark his most productive year on the Packers' defensive line since signing with the team in free agency in 2006. He had 64 tackles that year.

Next season, will be in the final year of the four-year extension he signed in 2010 next season. He’s scheduled to make $5.4 million with a roster bonus of $500,000 due in March.

---------------------------------------------

Ya ok... I dunno. Pickett is old and wearing down. Raji is young and overrated. We need some young ends to withstand the QB-option BS that will envelope the NFL over the next 5 years....maybe it's linebackers. But Pickett is done. He's not worth the money at 34 to NEVER show pass rush and give up 334 yards rushing to SF as he can't help with quick-twitch option QB's that will become the norm after Wilson/RG3/Kap showed the way.

call_me_ishmael
01-22-2013, 08:20 AM
I don't really agree with this. Based on what Bob McGinn has written numerous times, it seems like Pickett is an underrated player and one of the top 2-3 defensive players on the team.

Pugger
01-22-2013, 09:25 AM
He has at least one more year in him if we can find somebody to give him a spell now and then next season.

mraynrand
01-22-2013, 09:27 AM
hey, hey, ho, ho, Ryan Pickett's got to go!

pbmax
01-22-2013, 10:02 AM
I have firmly moved into the "downside of his career" camp and I think there was evidence on the field of it. There is not immediately available player to replace him with, so I expect him back next year. Raji is not the best fit and it might be a waste of talent as things now stand to put him there.

But they need to find his replacement soon.

rbaloha1
01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Worth every penny that helps to make Raji looks good.

A wily veteran that understands how to use his weight, hands and leverage.

Surprisingly good stamina.

Smeefers
01-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Yes, he's just another piece of that fantastic front three of ours.

mmmdk
01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
No 'Pickett' fence, fortification please!

Fritz
01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
This appears to be the place to clamor for Ted to draft a big, strong man to play the middle. Stout would be the right word.

Freak Out
01-22-2013, 06:59 PM
http://nfltraderumors.co/2013-nfl-free-agents/

denverYooper
01-22-2013, 09:34 PM

Some good looking forkbacks on that list.

Err, fullbacks.

denverYooper
01-22-2013, 09:36 PM
We could pick up Delaney Walker, except we already have a bunch of TEs who can't catch worth a damn.

esoxx
01-22-2013, 10:06 PM
hey, hey, ho, ho, Ryan Pickett's got to go!

Take your political chanting to FYI pls.

KYPack
01-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Some good looking forkbacks on that list.

Err, fullbacks.

Stubby wants FB's who can catch, run the ball, and do good pass pro.

That's why he ran off Vonta Leach.

You guys think they'll make a change on Kuhn?

(God that 3rd down sideline pass to him was fugly!

Patler
01-23-2013, 03:38 AM
Stubby wants FB's who can catch, run the ball, and do good pass pro.

That's why he ran off Vonta Leach.

You guys think they'll make a change on Kuhn?

(God that 3rd down sideline pass to him was fugly!

Leach is a Mike Sherman sort of fullback. He would have looked good leading Ahman Green through the hole (not that Henderson didn't, he was great when young).

It is probably time to start looking for Kuhn's replacement. He looked different this year, and injuries seem to be more frequent for him.

mraynrand
01-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Take your political chanting to FYI pls.

:lol: repped

hoosier
01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
I see Glenn Dorsey is a FA, and after being a non-factor with Kansas City. Is he just another short defensive lineman (he's just 6-1) who will never live up to his draft spot, or could Trgovac turn him into a reclamation project?

rbaloha1
01-23-2013, 09:27 AM
I see Glenn Dorsey is a FA, and after being a non-factor with Kansas City. Is he just another short defensive lineman (he's just 6-1) who will never live up to his draft spot, or could Trgovac turn him into a reclamation project?

Worth the gamble at the right price. Raji type player.

sharpe1027
01-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Leach is a Mike Sherman sort of fullback. He would have looked good leading Ahman Green through the hole (not that Henderson didn't, he was great when young).

It is probably time to start looking for Kuhn's replacement. He looked different this year, and injuries seem to be more frequent for him.

Probably, they use TEs as lead blockers about as much as they use Kuhn anyway, and he has not been very successful on short yardage plays for sometime now.

It will be an interesting off season with decisions to be made on guys like Woodson, Pickett, Kuhn, Hawk, Jennings and Finley. My money is on Pickett, Hawk, Finely and Kuhn all coming back, Jennings signing elsewhere and Woodson restructuring his contract to take less this year, but to include some additional guaranteed money.

SnakeLH2006
01-27-2013, 03:49 AM
Pickett has another year of eating good...contract and food....but hell he needs to go. Shave that contract TT and get us a FA pass-rushing LB so GB can catch up with the Jonses.

Patler
01-27-2013, 07:00 AM
Pickett isn't going anywhere. He is the most consistent d-lineman they have in doing what is expected of him. He has been worth what he has been paid, and I expect he will be next year too.

Joemailman
01-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Pickett is entering the final year of his contract. He'll be back this year, but I expect TT will draft his replacement in the first 2 rounds.

rbaloha1
01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Pickett is entering the final year of his contract. He'll be back this year, but I expect TT will draft his replacement in the first 2 rounds.

Agree -- there are good prospects. Some of them are raw and could benefit from Pickett's coaching.

wist43
01-27-2013, 03:11 PM
I like Pickett, he is the only 2-gap DL we have on the roster; and he played pretty well this year. I want him back - we need him back.

That said, TT needs to add 2 fat guys this offseason that can contribute next year. 1 in FA, and 1 in the draft. Beyond that, I'd like to see at least 2 other DL brought in to contribute up front.

In watching the Baltimore-NE playoff game, Ellerbe shot thru a gap and destroyed Ridley for a 2 yd loss. The anouncers went on and on about Ellerbe, but if you roll the tape back, it was Ngata that made the play by devouring 2 offensive linemen. Ellerbe was never touched.

Pickett isn't getting any younger; I can't imagine Raji will want to stay when his contract is up; Worthy is coming off a serious injury; most of the other DL are either subpackage guys are miscast in a 3-4... I don't see our front seven getting better any time soon.

woodbuck27
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM

My 'favorites' thank you.

call_me_ishmael
01-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Pickett isn't going anywhere. He is the most consistent d-lineman they have in doing what is expected of him. He has been worth what he has been paid, and I expect he will be next year too.

I agree with this. He is a very good player. Sure, he's older and paid a fair amount, but that's expected given his performance. I foresee him playing out his contract, and then sticking around year to year for another year or two. My prediction is he retires a Packer. He's a family guy who by all accounts likes it here. From the very little we know about him, he seems like a good guy to keep around.

I would like to see Pickett at NT next season. Raji, in my opinion, is an overrated player. I think his talents would be better suited at end much like Ngata of the Ravens. Then again, Ngata is a much better player and is taller.

wist43
01-30-2013, 02:04 AM
I agree with this. He is a very good player. Sure, he's older and paid a fair amount, but that's expected given his performance. I foresee him playing out his contract, and then sticking around year to year for another year or two. My prediction is he retires a Packer. He's a family guy who by all accounts likes it here. From the very little we know about him, he seems like a good guy to keep around.

I would like to see Pickett at NT next season. Raji, in my opinion, is an overrated player. I think his talents would be better suited at end much like Ngata of the Ravens. Then again, Ngata is a much better player and is taller.

It isn't that Raji is overrated, it's that he's completely misused, and overused by Capers.

Some of that isn't Capers fault, b/c TT simply hasn't given him much to work with since he's been here; but Raji is not a 2-gap player, and he's burned up with overuse.

Beyond that, I'd say it's difficult to evaluate anyone in the Packers front seven b/c Capers is go gimmicky, and tries to run a 2-4 nickel as his base as much as he does anything else. They cleaned up some of the miscommunication in the back end, but I would argue much of the confusion back there has a lot to do with Capers overcomplicating things with all of his gimmicks.

I'd be very surprised if Raji has any interest in returning to the Packers once his contract is up - at least as long as Dom Capers is DC, and assuming TT doesn't bring in any help.

The Packers have some pretty good players returning off of injury, but even with those guys coming back, the front seven is pretty weak overall... Raji could be a good addition for some team when when his contract is up - unless the Packers park a Wells Fargo truck in his driveway, I doubt Raji will re-up.

Smeefers
01-30-2013, 09:11 AM
It isn't that Raji is overrated, it's that he's completely misused, and overused by Capers.

Some of that isn't Capers fault, b/c TT simply hasn't given him much to work with since he's been here; but Raji is not a 2-gap player, and he's burned up with overuse.

Beyond that, I'd say it's difficult to evaluate anyone in the Packers front seven b/c Capers is go gimmicky, and tries to run a 2-4 nickel as his base as much as he does anything else. They cleaned up some of the miscommunication in the back end, but I would argue much of the confusion back there has a lot to do with Capers overcomplicating things with all of his gimmicks.

I'd be very surprised if Raji has any interest in returning to the Packers once his contract is up - at least as long as Dom Capers is DC, and assuming TT doesn't bring in any help.

The Packers have some pretty good players returning off of injury, but even with those guys coming back, the front seven is pretty weak overall... Raji could be a good addition for some team when when his contract is up - unless the Packers park a Wells Fargo truck in his driveway, I doubt Raji will re-up.

I thought I saw a lot more 3 -4 fronts this year. I mean, I still did notice the 2-4 quite often, but I don't think it was as often as in days past,especially last year where it was something like 60% of the time. I tried to google "How often a team runs a defensive formation." and all I got was a big middle finger on the screen, so I can't back any of what I say with solid numbers. God I suck at googling.

Otherwise I agree, he has been used inappropriately, but there's nothing we can do about it until the younger talent matures.

SnakeLH2006
02-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Pickett has a role...he's good at it. But, he's getting older and the quick-twitch qb's are coming around more and more. I was only offering to sacrifice his 2013 contract to get ARod and CMatty signed. Of course Raji could be Pickett times 10 if he's used less and fresher. He's younger and more talented...just gassed out half the time being used so much.

rbaloha1
02-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Pickett has a role...he's good at it. But, he's getting older and the quick-twitch qb's are coming around more and more. I was only offering to sacrifice his 2013 contract to get ARod and CMatty signed. Of course Raji could be Pickett times 10 if he's used less and fresher. He's younger and more talented...just gassed out half the time being used so much.

A-rod and the claymaker can get their huge extensions thru attrition of big contracts.

RP is the most consitent d-lineman.