PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy Right to Keep Capers as Packers Defensive Coordinator

SnakeLH2006
01-22-2013, 07:35 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1495354-mccarthy-right-to-keep-capers-as-packers-defensive-coordinator

After a humiliating defensive performance in their playoff loss to the San Francisco 49ers, many Packers fans wanted to see defensive coordinator Dom Capers lose his job, but Mike McCarthy is right for not making a move.

The performance was incredible as the 49ers racked up 45 points on 579 total yards, including 323 on the ground as 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick rushed for 181 yards, most of which came before he was touched. Many cried for Capers to make in-game adjustments, but more times than not, the Green Bay defenders were in position to make a play, but weren't able to execute.

On their second touchdown drive, they faced a third-and-goal from the 10-yard line, Kaepernick threw a pass well short of the end zone, but neither Charles Woodson nor Brad Jones were able to get there in time, allowing Michael Crabtree to go into the end zone untouched.

On their next drive, with the game tied at 14, Kaepernick ran up the middle right by both B.J. Raji and Erik Walden to pick up the first down. Another key mistake came when they faced a third-and-10 with 1:45 left in the first half, Capers had 255-pound Clay Matthews stunt up the middle, but he was blocked out of his rush lane by 195-pound LaMichael James. Kaepernick used that hole for a 19-yard run. That drive ended with a field goal just before halftime, putting San Francisco ahead 24-21.

The most notable play of the game was when Kaepernick's 56-yard touchdown run came in, which linebacker Erik Walden crashed instead of containing, Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams were destroyed by blocks and the last line of defense—safety Morgan Burnett—was nowhere to be found.

Then there are, of course, the plays the Packers had defended perfectly—such as Kaepernick's second touchdown pass to Crabtree—but there was nothing they could do about it. Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the opponent and realize the opponent gets paid to do a job too.

All of San Francisco's offensive success was set up by the fact that they dominated at the line of scrimmage. When teams are pushed around like that at the point of attack, no scheme or coverage matters. The only chance the Packers had was if they stopped the 49ers running game, but Frank Gore finished with 123 yards and over five yards per carry.

Out of the 15 players who played 25 or more snaps, 13 of them graded out negatively on Pro Football Focus. Say what you will about coaching, but the players need to show up.

Woodson was critical of his coach, saying they didn't adjust, but Capers stuck up for himself in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, pointing out several adjustments he did make, but the players didn't execute. Woodson shouldn't be throwing stones; he was responsible for quite a few of the 49ers' big plays, including the play that got them started.

Some fans and analysts begged for them to switch to a zone defense, but since they haven't played zone much at all this season, the biggest game doesn't seem like an ideal time to try that. It may have helped, but it may have been a disaster. There's little or no evidence to suggest they would have played it correctly, especially since they weren't doing so in the original game plan.

Another critique was that he should have blitzed defensive backs more, but Kaepernick had a rating of 102.4 against the blitz, compared to 83.1 when he wasn't blitzed according to Pro Football Focus. They also weren't able to play extra defensive backs on as many snaps because they weren't able to stop the run. Slot corner Casey Hayward was on the field for only 40 percent of their plays, his fewest since Week 12 when they were blown out by the New York Giants.

It's easy to blame coaches and firing them always seems to be the easy fix, but it would be unjust in this case. Some fans have even suggested a complete overhaul with a switch to a 4-3 defense without realizing that would lead to a massive change in personnel, including the likely departure of Matthews.

Fans seem to have forgotten how good Capers and his defense were this season. They ranked 11th in yards and scoring, while registering 47 quarterback sacks and finishing with the fourth worst opponents passer rating. All of this came with numerous injuries, including Sam Shields missing six games, Matthews missing four games and B.J. Raji missing two games.

As much as people want to blame the defense for this playoff exit, it's also worth noting the offense and special teams didn't help them out much with two of the touchdowns coming on drives that started in their own territory, thanks to turnovers. Prior to their garbage time touchdown, the Green Bay offense had scored just one more touchdown than their defense. It's that side of the ball that has most of the big-name players and they're the ones who are expected to win the biggest games.

Many blame their defense for their playoff exits the last three years, but it was quarterback Aaron Rodgers who over-threw to a wide-open receiver then fumbled in their Wild Card loss to Arizona three years ago. Rodgers also played poorly in their second-round loss to the Giants last year. If Capers is going to be held to a different standard for playoff appearances, when does Rodgers get the same treatment? He gets a free pass because of their Super Bowl win, but that never would've happened without the exceptional play of their defense, which scored a touchdown in each of their last three games.

It wouldn't have mattered who the Packers defensive coordinator was, they did not have the manpower to compete with the 49ers. San Francisco was a lot stronger up front and their quarterback had a great game, running and passing.

Had McCarthy listened to the angry mob, his team would've been left with more questions. It's easy to say a coach should be fired, but there doesn't appear to be a more capable replacement out there.

The Packers have a lot of young players on defense and a lot of players who just had bad games against the 49ers. Their best bet is to stay the course; they'll improve with experience and should be in contention again next season. A change of coordinators would lead the Packers to the unknown and there is no evidence to suggest it would be an improvement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't think Capers is to blame. The Packer D softness is to blame with so many smallish dudes. They lack athleticness on the edge minus CMatty...but even he was negated with an injured dude in that shit game. I've been calling it out for years, but without Bishop we had no hard hitters. Look at the Pats game...the Ravens were still busting skulls every play and scared the Pats into numerous drops late in the game. We need some hitters and/or pass rushers on the edge to slow down the BS. Kap only had 2 rushes for 21 yards last week...they won only cuz he had the best QB rating passing he's had yet and Gore did well. Rush the passer and hit hard...thus why the Ravens are still in it and the Giants beat the Packers/Pats in the SB 2 of the last 4 years. And to be truthful...the Pack's O Line was pretty good under Favre...and just sucks now despite some BS voting with Saturday/Sitton. That O-Line is poor as fuck as far as pass-protect...and a shade better run-blocking (D- and D+)......Both lines just suck and that's what wins games in the NFL. Arod is a beast...our WR's are good (not as good as the media lets on)...but the OL and DL just suck and that is what wins games in the playoffs against good teams...cuz it's a trenchfight. Upgrade that shit TT.

mmmdk
01-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Good post; not a big Capers fan though but not a hater either. Bishop was missed but I'm not sure he alone could've helped Packers past Niners. The sheer lack of front 7 talent and the fact that our coaches'n'TT overrate the talent in that group is to blame. Also, the gameplanning for Kaepernick has to go down as close to an all time worst preparation for a QB. Think Joe Webb was great preparation for Kaepernick! NOT! It's like saying: facing Tommy Maddox would've been great preparation for facing Brett Favre.

Packers defense will have yet another Jo-Jo season as the schedule gets much tougher and unless TT strikes gold in the draft; I'd predict worse stats and decline in performance against the better offenses in the NFL for the Packers defense next season. I fear that the McCarthy regime in Green Bay has a hint of nepotism to its standstill approach on new coaching thoughts. Not good enough.

I did predict a 11-5 and a 1-1 record [it's posted somewhere here on PR] and I am satisfied with beating Vikings in the wild card weekend and a Bears sweep in reg season was sweet.

It's back to being a basic Packers fan, back to cherishing the Majik 1989 like seasons with the added playoff win here and there! And just wait for the next big thing to hit Green Bay...:wink:

Pugger
01-22-2013, 09:48 AM
With the defense not getting off the field Rodgers and company sat on the bench for long stretches in that game so it isn't easy to get into any kind of rhythm when you aren't out there. Rodgers head-scratching INT, overthrow to Jennings on that 3rd down. MM abandoning the run and Ross' muffed punt didn't help our cause either.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lack-identity-not-toughness-green-bays-playoff-undoing-174100626--nfl.html

mmmdk
01-22-2013, 10:27 AM
With the defense not getting off the field Rodgers and company sat on the bench for long stretches in that game so it isn't easy to get into any kind of rhythm when you aren't out there. Rodgers head-scratching INT, overthrow to Jennings on that 3rd down. MM abandoning the run and Ross' muffed punt didn't help our cause either.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lack-identity-not-toughness-green-bays-playoff-undoing-174100626--nfl.html

Yup, that too.

rbaloha1
01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
After the Sanders release supported Gregg Williams due to his aggressive mindset and the ability to retain Kampman as a defensive end in a 4-3.

Watched with admiration Capers implementation of the 3-4 zone blitz defense. Capers mo as a professional game manager and bend do not break philosophy was palatable.

Supported Capers until now. Tierd of the excuses. Good offensive coordinators and qbs continually carve up the defense.

A-rod just like Brady can not hide the defensive defiences anymore. Fire Capers along with his enormous salary.

Smeefers
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Good post; not a big Capers fan though but not a hater either. Bishop was missed but I'm not sure he alone could've helped Packers past Niners. The sheer lack of front 7 talent and the fact that our coaches'n'TT overrate the talent in that group is to blame. Also, the gameplanning for Kaepernick has to go down as close to an all time worst preparation for a QB. Think Joe Webb was great preparation for Kaepernick! NOT! It's like saying: facing Tommy Maddox would've been great preparation for facing Brett Favre.

Packers defense will have yet another Jo-Jo season as the schedule gets much tougher and unless TT strikes gold in the draft; I'd predict worse stats and decline in performance against the better offenses in the NFL for the Packers defense next season. I fear that the McCarthy regime in Green Bay has a hint of nepotism to its standstill approach on new coaching thoughts. Not good enough.

I did predict a 11-5 and a 1-1 record [it's posted somewhere here on PR] and I am satisfied with beating Vikings in the wild card weekend and a Bears sweep in reg season was sweet.

It's back to being a basic Packers fan, back to cherishing the Majik 1989 like seasons with the added playoff win here and there! And just wait for the next big thing to hit Green Bay...:wink:

Awww. I barely remember the Majik days, but if I remember correctly, I was overjoyed when he got us to 8-8. We were absolutely horrible. If being a basic packer fan is humming and hawing over making the playoffs every year and being one of the favored teams to go the distance in the NFC, then I'm in.

George Cumby
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Good OP, Snake. Thanks for putting that up there.

mmmdk
01-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Awww. I barely remember the Majik days, but if I remember correctly, I was overjoyed when he got us to 8-8. We were absolutely horrible. If being a basic packer fan is humming and hawing over making the playoffs every year and being one of the favored teams to go the distance in the NFC, then I'm in.

10-6, not 8-8 in 1989. I could've picked any post SB XXXI season as an example. Your dreams of the above will come true and a lot those season you don't remember will come aplenty. My post was a testament to those seasons but you didn't catch my pass.

Smeefers
01-22-2013, 11:15 AM
10-6, not 8-8 in 1989. I could've picked any post SB XXXI season as an example. Your dreams of the above will come true and a lot those season you don't remember will come aplenty. My post was a testament to those seasons but you didn't catch my pass.

What can I say? I'm an idiot in... err, sheeps clothing? No, wait. Sheeps don't have clothing... but they are made of clothing, kind of. Well, they produce clothing. Well, the raw material for clothing, it's not like they're fantastic knitters or anything.

And so, in conclusion, I concur. No pass was caught.

mmmdk
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
What can I say? I'm an idiot in... err, sheeps clothing? No, wait. Sheeps don't have clothing... but they are made of clothing, kind of. Well, they produce clothing. Well, the raw material for clothing, it's not like they're fantastic knitters or anything.

:lol: Great & funny post!

Repped!

Teamcheez1
01-25-2013, 07:39 PM
I think one thing that is overlooked in keeping Capers is McCarthy, himself. If MM fires Capers, than he is admitting to failure at some level. He was then unable to manage his coaches, and thus the team in general. A head coaches ego will not allow himself to admit to failure at his level. He's not going to indict his own management of the team. That "stubborness" has led to many a coaches downfall.

I'm not saying that keeping Capers is the wrong decision, but MM may live or die by this decision if we see a similar result next season. At that point in time, TT may send them both packing if the defense fails again.

KYPack
01-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Yeah Snake, good to see you posting.

The author of this article doesn't really understand NFL defenses.

Check this sentence:

"Some fans and analysts begged for them to switch to a zone defense, but since they haven't played zone much at all this season, the biggest game doesn't seem like an ideal time to try that. "

GBP played zone most of the snaps this year. He doesn't understand the difference btw match coverage underneath and a full zone. Capers defense is called a zone blitz for that reason. They play a zone coverage on top when they blitz. They also play zone almost exclusively in non-blitzing situations.

The author sees defenders running with a receiver in a lock situation and equates that with a man to man defense. You need to see the game tape of the action in all-22 to determine what coverage they are in. Under Capers, very few of his defenses are cover 1 (classic man to man).

Fritz
01-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Matthews, Raji, Williams - they all picked a bad time to have a terrible game at the same time.

Nonetheless, it seems to me that one argument for keeping Capers would be his intellectual ability to suss out how to design a defense to stop this new read/option that QB's like RGIII and CK make possible. I'm guessing it'll have something to do with very fast, smart, big linebackers. I worry a little that Nick Perry isn't fast enough - not sure he could contain CK.

SnakeLH2006
01-27-2013, 03:00 AM
Snake doesn't think Capers is to blame. He's got a good mind. That SF game was horrible, but really the gameplanning goes on the head coach MM. He's stagnated offensively as no one in GB has solved the 2-deep safety coverage meaning 25 pts per game 2012 vs 35 in 2011. The D turned around from worst to 11th in yards and pts....and sack percentage went to 4th. It's not Capers really...his D went back up...although that game sucked. I dunno...we need a fresh O-Coordinater cuz Arod is the best QB/player in the game....need 30 points at least with his skills...and maybe some stud to rush the passer..get rid of Hawk (such a liability on passes or sacks). Our young D in the secondary was awesome.

rbaloha1
01-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Matthews, Raji, Williams - they all picked a bad time to have a terrible game at the same time.

Nonetheless, it seems to me that one argument for keeping Capers would be his intellectual ability to suss out how to design a defense to stop this new read/option that QB's like RGIII and CK make possible. I'm guessing it'll have something to do with very fast, smart, big linebackers. I worry a little that Nick Perry isn't fast enough - not sure he could contain CK.

Anybody even rats can draw up on a white board how to stop the spread option.

My issue with Capers are on the field adjustments and wrinkles -- Capers is slow to react. Capers acts too professional -- better for savy veterans.

mraynrand
01-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Anybody even rats can draw up on a white board how to stop the spread option.

My issue with Capers are on the field adjustments and wrinkles -- Capers is slow to react. Capers acts too professional -- better for savy veterans.

There are position coaches to rally the troops; capers is a booth technician. When guys are blowing assignments, he's the kind that throws his sharpie, not the kind to go down there and yell. All the Packer flaws got exposed by the Niners; I don't think it's so much that they were out-schemed so much as the Niners effectively worked their weaknesses. Cover up those weaknesses you say? Well, you can't replace Jones, Walden, and an ineffective Pickett in the middle of a Divisional game. You can't make Woodson three year's younger, or get inured players magically back out there. Much like the team that got exposed by a hot AZ team in 2009, this Packer's defensive weaknesses were all on display. You need an offseason and some personnel upgrades to address what went wrong.

rbaloha1
01-27-2013, 12:12 PM
There are position coaches to rally the troops; capers is a booth technician. When guys are blowing assignments, he's the kind that throws his sharpie, not the kind to go down there and yell. All the Packer flaws got exposed by the Niners; I don't think it's so much that they were out-schemed so much as the Niners effectively worked their weaknesses. Cover up those weaknesses you say? Well, you can't replace Jones, Walden, and an ineffective Pickett in the middle of a Divisional game. You can't make Woodson three year's younger, or get inured players magically back out there. Much like the team that got exposed by a hot AZ team in 2009, this Packer's defensive weaknesses were all on display. You need an offseason and some personnel upgrades to address what went wrong.

Not advocating getting out of the booth and yelling.

Something is wrong with Capers game preparation as Leroy Butler and others have mentioned. Capers public response is continual excuses which is troublesome.

woodbuck27
01-29-2013, 03:31 PM

Sheep are skilled with kniting needles....possibly then, armed or dangerous.