PDA

View Full Version : I agree with Madden

b bulldog
04-12-2006, 05:37 PM
John Madden has said that he thinks brett wants out of GB and would like to be traded. This is his opinion and nothing else but I tend to agree with it. This team is far from a contender but what would Brett garner on the market? My guess is a third at best but some team could go nuts over Brett and give more. I just don't see how a QB with a few years left and who is known for making mistakes could garner more but funnier things have happened. My guesstimation is that the chance of this happening is less than one percent. I would love to see it happened if we could get a 2 or better.

MadtownPacker
04-12-2006, 07:46 PM
John Madden has said that he thinks brett wants out of GB and would like to be traded. This is his opinion and nothing else but I tend to agree with it. This team is far from a contender but what would Brett garner on the market? My guess is a third at best but some team could go nuts over Brett and give more. I just don't see how a QB with a few years left and who is known for making mistakes could garner more but funnier things have happened. My guesstimation is that the chance of this happening is less than one percent. I would love to see it happened if we could get a 2 or better.

A broken viqueen with legal issues, a tendency to fumble, and a lack of wins in big games got a #2. Only thing hurting Favre is age cuz it aint the arm.

Dont agree with Madden though, homeboy is insane.

Where you drawing circles all over your screen and saying BOOM when you wrote this? :lol:

Bretsky
04-12-2006, 07:59 PM

I thought Joe Montana brought a first rounder late in his career. I certainly think a decent team who could use a starter would give up a 2nd.

With TT accomplishing next to nothing to immediately help this team I do wonder if it would be in Favre's best interests to go elsewhere. As I've said before, TT is building Noah's Arc but he's spent three months now deciding what Hammer to use before shopping for the parts needed to get er done.

b bulldog
04-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Like the reference to Noah's Ark B.

Bretsky
04-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Like the reference to Noah's Ark B.

Thanks Bulldog; maybe my college based skills are finally coming out. How the hell did an English/Education Major ever to get to be the sole Home Loan Officer at a Bank, anyways ?

Cheers,
B

b bulldog
04-12-2006, 08:15 PM
What are the interest rates doing?, I need to refi my remodeling into my existing mortgage.

Bretsky
04-12-2006, 08:56 PM
What are the interest rates doing?, I need to refi my remodeling into my existing mortgage.

I PM'd ya; I need to start marketing in here. In my area full of mortgage brokers I'm the guy working for the Packer sponsored bank that treats people fairly.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2006, 10:26 PM
It would be a sad day if I ever saw Favre play in another uniform. If I didn't have kids, I think I would kill myself.

LEWCWA
04-13-2006, 01:41 AM
If Favre were to play for another team, my days as a Packer Fan would be over and I think that just may kill me!!

Kiwon
04-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Farve has said that he only wants to play one more year so the situation would have to be very unique for him to agree to leave GB (even though I doubt he has a no-trade clause in his contract because its was previously unimaginable).

If an offer did come up, I think he's a competitor enough to consider it, but family concerns and his GB legacy just might keep him from pulling the trigger. Although he does shun the talk about records, I think he definitively wants to be known as the greatest player in the history of the franchise.

Bretsky
04-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Farve has said that he only wants to play one more year so the situation would have to be very unique for him to agree to leave GB (even though I doubt he has a no-trade clause in his contract because its was previously unimaginable).

If an offer did come up, I think he's a competitor enough to consider it, but family concerns and his GB legacy just might keep him from pulling the trigger. Although he does shun the talk about records, I think he definitively wants to be known as the greatest player in the history of the franchise.

Good points Kiwon; hey, where have ya been. Haven't heard from ya in a while.

B

swede
04-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Favre doesn't like sitting and listening. He hates meetings abd listening to coaches drone on and on.

He can barely bring himself back to play for this team what with having to deal with new play-calling verbage, so I don't think he'll go for having to learn a new system somewhere else.

Brett will be back here for one more year.

Kiwon
04-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Bretsky, I took Brett's advice and have been watching baseball at MLB.com.

I'm fed up with everything. I watched Brett's press conference the other day and it is obvious that he really wants to come back, but doesn't want to endure another miserable season. His public plea for TT to sign somebody to improve the team is a waste of breath. The "impact" FA are already gone and TT ridicules other teams for overspending. Great! Keep sitting on the $20 million and hope your 7th round picks will play like Pro Bowlers in their 3rd season.

Then Brett gets ripped for what, wanting the team to upgrade itself and field a competitive team in 2006? How terrible! How selfish of him to actually want an offensive line to block for him and give him time to throw. Those 36 year-old HOF quarterbacks think they know everything! Imagine, making suggestions to a GM that finished 4-12 in his first year! Chmura was right, Favre is a selfish primadonna. I can't even believe we kept him this long. We should have cut him years ago.

Packer fans got spoiled and they are in for a rude awakening. I can't believe how easily some are ready to trash the best player in Packer history. The "What have you done for me lately?" crowd obviously doesn't remember the storied histories of Don Horn, Scott Hunter, Jerry Tagge, John Hadl, Lynn Dickey, David Whitehurst, Randy Wright, Jim Zorn, Vince Ferragamo, Anthony Dilweg, Mike Tomczak, and Don Majkowski. These Packer QBs led the team to what, 3 playoff appearances in 20 years. Yeah, we better hurry and get rid of Favre.

Anyway, I waiting for the draft to see what will happen. Before then, I'll be focusing on baseball. But it's nice to be missed. Thanks for asking.

Guiness
04-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Favre doesn't like sitting and listening. He hates meetings abd listening to coaches drone on and on.

He can barely bring himself back to play for this team what with having to deal with new play-calling verbage, so I don't think he'll go for having to learn a new system somewhere else.

Brett will be back here for one more year.

Good points Swede - I was thinking along the same line, that he'd have to go to a very similar system if it was only as a one-year rent-a-QB.

Only two teams jump out at me as a fit. Seattle, but I'm sure they're happy with MH. The one other, and it makes me shudder, is Cincy. If they're worried about Palmer's QB, they might take a flyer feeling they're close enough. Wow, would it be a sad day to see Brett donning those colours.

I don't want, and don't think this will happen.

KYPack
04-13-2006, 09:16 PM
.[/quote]

I thought Joe Montana brought a first rounder late in his career. I certainly think a decent team who could use a starter would give up a 2nd.

With TT accomplishing next to nothing to immediately help this team I do wonder if it would be in Favre's best interests to go elsewhere. As I've said before, TT is building Noah's Arc but he's spent three months now deciding what Hammer to use before shopping for the parts needed to get er done.[/quote]

You are right, oh Swami.

SF got a #1 in '93 for Joe Cool from KC.

The Whiners drafted Dana Stubblefield, who is still playing for 'em, I think.

(Nutz, I can't see yer avatar)

K-town
04-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Packer fans got spoiled and they are in for a rude awakening. I can't believe how easily some are ready to trash the best player in Packer history. The "What have you done for me lately?" crowd obviously doesn't remember the storied histories of Don Horn, Scott Hunter, Jerry Tagge, John Hadl, Lynn Dickey, David Whitehurst, Randy Wright, Jim Zorn, Vince Ferragamo, Anthony Dilweg, Mike Tomczak, and Don Majkowski. These Packer QBs led the team to what, 3 playoff appearances in 20 years. Yeah, we better hurry and get rid of Favre.

Kiwon, I've been a Packer fan since 1970, so I've seen all the QBs you've mentioned. I can add a few names: Blair Kiel, Frank Patrick, Jim Del Gaizo,
Brian Dowling, Bobby Douglas, Rich Campbell. Lord, I'm getting nauseous just thinking of that sad collection of stiffs (though I obviously have a warm spot in my heart for Lynn Dickey).
I surely hope when A-Rod or whoever takes over that they bare more than a passing resemblance to Steve Young taking over for Joe Montana.

MacCool606
04-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Gotta remember that alot of "fans" came on board when the Packers started winning in the mid 90's when it became vogue to be a cheesehead. He is the only Packers QB they know. Favre himself was more a product of Holmgren's system then he was a star. If Wolf woulldn't have brought him to GB, and if Holmgren wouldn't have had the patience to put up with his growing years, we would not be talking of Farve as an irreplaceable player. So, many of the younger posters don't know of the past QB's

I remember feeling the same way about Bart Starr. I wore his hersey until the 15 cracked off the material. I was a huge fan, but I was ready for him to be replaced. That's when I realized that you don't know what you had until he's gone.

GBRulz
04-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I think Madden just wants Brett to go somewhere else so he can take out the yellow crayon and draw a line showing where he went to....

MacCool606
04-13-2006, 10:01 PM
I think Madden is more repalceable than Favre - I'd rather be looking at that!

Kiwon
04-14-2006, 08:25 PM

Kiwon, I've been a Packer fan since 1970, so I've seen all the QBs you've mentioned. I can add a few names: Blair Kiel, Frank Patrick, Jim Del Gaizo,
Brian Dowling, Bobby Douglas, Rich Campbell. Lord, I'm getting nauseous just thinking of that sad collection of stiffs (though I obviously have a warm spot in my heart for Lynn Dickey).
I surely hope when A-Rod or whoever takes over that they bare more than a passing resemblance to Steve Young taking over for Joe Montana.

K-town, I did not intend my list to be exhaustive, but shame on me to overlook these QBs and their contributions for the Packers.

MadCool606 is correct. Many fans came on-board during the 90's when the Pack was dominant. It HAS TO BE some of these same people who rip Farve without a second thought. I can't believe the inaneness of it all. What Farve has done on and off the field makes him a hero, period. For fans to want to toss him aside like an old football card after 14 years of straight starts and superior play is ridiculous.

I too wish A-Rod the best. It looks like he'll need it with fans like these.

Packers4Ever
04-14-2006, 10:33 PM
It would be a sad day if I ever saw Favre play in another uniform. If I didn't have kids, I think I would kill myself.

Nutz, I have to agree with you. The thought of seeing Brett in Viking purple or any other uniform is repulsive to me. He has stated he wants to finish his career with the Packers, I'd like to believe that. But at the same time, he wants his final year (if he chooses to keep playing) to be something other than what happened in 2005. It had to have been a nightmare for him....

MJZiggy
04-14-2006, 10:44 PM
How's he going to feel, though, if he retires or goes to another team and then Jagodzinski's zone blocking system works to its potential and the Packers come out a lot stronger than expected--especially if he goes to another team and they suck.

Bretsky
04-14-2006, 10:50 PM
How's he going to feel, though, if he retires or goes to another team and then Jagodzinski's zone blocking system works to its potential and the Packers come out a lot stronger than expected--especially if he goes to another team and they suck.

Favre is looking for an excuse to return
TT is not giving him any

Any other doubters out there as to whether TT truly wants Favre back ?

TT grossly overestimates the talent on this team IMO

Fritz
04-15-2006, 02:52 AM
I'll be the heretical one here and argue that perhaps a trade of Favre is best for all concerned. Favre can play for a contender, possible closer to home, and the Packers can move on, especially if as so many of you like to believe they are in rebuilding mode.

Here's one team that would be a great fit: Tampa Bay. Contender, with a good running game and tough defense. Quarterback? Chris Simms. Hmm...

Bet you could wangle a first rounder out of them. If a GM thought that by giving up a first round pick he could get to the Super Bowl, he'd very likely do it.

Tarlam!
04-15-2006, 03:27 AM
When Favre states he will not play for another team, is that just bull? I mean, he has said it, often.

This wasn't so much as a wish, this was a statement.

Saying "I'd rather retire" is not believable from J-Walk. But, Favre is no J-Walk.

I believe he would never play for another team. I think speculation over a trade is wasted effort, really.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 09:10 AM
I'll be the heretical one here and argue that perhaps a trade of Favre is best for all concerned. Favre can play for a contender, possible closer to home, and the Packers can move on, especially if as so many of you like to believe they are in rebuilding mode.

Here's one team that would be a great fit: Tampa Bay. Contender, with a good running game and tough defense. Quarterback? Chris Simms. Hmm...

Bet you could wangle a first rounder out of them. If a GM thought that by giving up a first round pick he could get to the Super Bowl, he'd very likely do it.

I agree Fritz. Favre wants to play and Favre wants to win now. It doesn't look like our GM's philosophy and our QB's philosophy are the same. He could still win big with another team.

MJZiggy
04-15-2006, 09:15 AM
He just won't do it.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 09:30 AM
He just won't do it.

I believe that once too, but I'm not so sure anymore.

He still wants to play
But he wants to win now

Fritz
04-15-2006, 10:14 AM
IF Favre actually desired this, I'd make the trade if you could get a first rounder. Don't get me wrong - my primary wish is for Favre to play, and play for Green Bay. But if that's not going to happen, then - with his permission, because he deserves that - I'd trade him for a first rounder. Allow yourself to imagine two first round picks this year...TT could wheel and deal and pick up a bunch of picks this year, and unlike many folks here I do trust him and think that in two or three years this forum would be abuzz with Super Bowl talk.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 11:20 AM
IF Favre actually desired this, I'd make the trade if you could get a first rounder. Don't get me wrong - my primary wish is for Favre to play, and play for Green Bay. But if that's not going to happen, then - with his permission, because he deserves that - I'd trade him for a first rounder. Allow yourself to imagine two first round picks this year...TT could wheel and deal and pick up a bunch of picks this year, and unlike many folks here I do trust him and think that in two or three years this forum would be abuzz with Super Bowl talk.

I agree with all your thoughts Fritz; now if I thought the Packers were close to going anywhere in the next two years (Favre's max playing span IMO) I'd want to keep him, but I don't.

For me, if Favre could garner a 2nd I'd settle for that. I think a team like the Ravens would jump at that. But he has to want to play for a winner first.

Fritz
04-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Well, given Favre's stature and what he has meant to Green Bay I would only trade him to a team he would agree to go to. Of course, no team would trade for him if they didn't think he'd come play for them, but I'd ask Brett first. He deserves that consideration.

Harlan Huckleby
04-15-2006, 12:55 PM
For me, if Favre could garner a 2nd I'd settle for that. I think a team like the Ravens would jump at that. But he has to want to play for a winner first.

hell, I'd take a 3rd or 4th.

I agree it is up to Favre. If he wants to retire, fine. If he wants to play another year, either here or somewhere else, fine. I wouldn't hold any of these choices against him. It's just a game, many local legends finish-out with another team, including St. Vince.

MJZiggy
04-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Oddly enough, Vince died before he had much of a chance to do anything with the Giants.

Harlan Huckleby
04-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Oddly enough, Vince died before he had much of a chance to do anything with the Giants.

You mean TO the Giants. He was with Redskins. But come to think of it, didn't Vinnie start career as assistant coach on Giants?

MJZiggy
04-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Yes he did, that's my mistake. I meant the Skins.

Tarlam!
04-16-2006, 03:24 AM
OK.

1. Where could Favre go, where he would not need to do a lot of learning of a new offense?
2. Where could he go and become the guaranteed starter?
3. Where could he go that would offer a 1st to 3rd?
4. Where could he go, that did not disrupt the winning percentage of the Packers?
5. Where can he go and potentially win his 2nd SB ring?

If you can name the team that offers legitimate answers for all 5 of these parameters, I'd say, there is a case. I think if even a single parameter is flawed, he stays or retires.

Iron Mike
04-16-2006, 09:18 AM

Didn't Tampa Bay give up a 2 #1s and a #2 to get Gruden????

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 09:54 AM
That amazes me. Dungy was as good a coach (and man) as you'll ever find.