PDA

View Full Version : "Bryan Bulaga might get a look at left tackle next season"

Patler
01-23-2013, 03:15 AM
Another Reischel article.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/a-healthy-perspective-n58fedk-187981441.html

I saw the headline, which i quoted as the title to this thread, and I thought there might be something to it, Since this is a thought I brought up a few weeks ago, I was interested in seeing whether it was Campen, MM, TT, Bulaga or who that brought up the possibility.

The answer? - ABSOLUTELY NO ONE DID!

Reischel seems to have created this possibility in his own head. It's an opinion, not a report.

The headline would be more accurate to state that Bulaga should get a look at LT, not that he might. But, since the article is really just a report on his injury and recovery, the headline should be directed at that.

packrulz
01-23-2013, 05:01 AM
He was struggling at RT, why would they try him at LT? I'm wondering if TT shouldn't draft another LT, he can't be satisfied with the play of their offensive line:
The club announced that it had signed tight end Brandon Bostick, quarterback B.J. Coleman, offensive tackle Andrew Datko, center Garth Gerhart, guard Joe Gibbs, linebacker Micah Johnson, cornerback James Nixon and safety Chaz Powell. General manager Ted Thompson made the announcement in a press release.

pbmax
01-23-2013, 08:25 AM
I was just coming here to post that exact thought.

Technically, Reischel writes for the Packers Plus magazine, which must still be a thing. And the coverage in that is less than hard hitting and tends to be well behind the news curve. I think the online headline writer did him no favors here as his article seems mainly concerned with Bulaga's health.

rbaloha1
01-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Given the performance of Newhouse and the questionable return of Sherrod it is reasonable to try BB at lt.

run pMc
01-23-2013, 10:52 AM
I think they should keep BB at RT...he struggled with athletic pass rushers (Bruce Irvin anyone?) and I can't imagine he would fare better at LT.

Let Newhouse, Sherrod and Datko duke it out for LT. Wouldn't be surprised if another draft pick gets thrown in there, but I'd keep Bulaga at RT and keep Barclay at backup.
Don't know how many roster spots they can afford to reserve at OL. I get the feeling that Newhouse is NOT the long term answer at LT, but GB is content to let him keep the spot warm until someone better comes along -- preferably before his contract ends.

Knowing how M3 and Campen like to move people around, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave BB snaps at LT. Let's say hypothetically that BB wins LT...what lineup would you trot out? Put Newhouse at RT? Barclay?

RashanGary
01-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Barclay has a legitimate chance at being one of the best 5 next season. You never know, Lang could be our center.

As everyone knows, I'm a Newhouse honk. I don't think anyone on our roster is better than him, nor do I think anyone has much of a shot at supplanting him next season - including BB.

RashanGary
01-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Newhouse is a couple fine technique points and an offseason to grow into his prime away from a stranglehold on LT.

Packers4Glory
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
I might win the lotto this yr.

Packers4Glory
01-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Newhouse is a couple fine technique points and an offseason to grow into his prime away from a stranglehold on LT.

Newhouse sucks. if he's starting or playing we're in deep shit again. He's a few points of speed and quickness away from being able to be a decent guard.

swede
01-23-2013, 11:37 AM

Newhouse sucks. if he's starting or playing we're in deep shit again. He's a few points of speed and quickness away from being able to be a decent guard.

Without taking a side that was a funny exchange.

Newhouse has had more solid games than disaster games, though. With Sherrod getting his shot next TC, it would be great to keep Newhouse for a long time--as a backup T.

Joemailman
01-23-2013, 11:40 AM
I think Newhouse is about as good of a Tackle as he's gonna be, which is average. The talk of him coming out of college was that the was better suited to Guard because although he had good quickness, his pass blocking skills were questionable for Tackle. I think that's what we've seen. You can get by with him at LT, but ideally you'd like someone better. I think both Datko and Sherrod, if health allows, have more potential at tackle than Newhouse.

denverYooper
01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Newhouse has what they call "elite availability".

pbmax
01-23-2013, 12:01 PM

He needs to finish plays. He has only gotten marginally better at this.

pbmax
01-23-2013, 12:03 PM
I think Newhouse is about as good of a Tackle as he's gonna be, which is average. The talk of him coming out of college was that the was better suited to Guard because although he had good quickness, his pass blocking skills were questionable for Tackle. I think that's what we've seen. You can get by with him at LT, but ideally you'd like someone better. I think both Datko and Sherrod, if health allows, have more potential at tackle than Newhouse.

I thought it was the reverse? That he is perfectly suited physically and the correct size for Guard but his technique and feet make him more at home at Tackle. He was not good at Guard in his first camp.

RashanGary
01-23-2013, 12:15 PM
A little context I don't think is taken into account:

A - Newhouse came into the league a project from a school not known for coaching NFL ready lineman. You have to look at his starting point if you are going to find the trend of improvement.
B - Newhouse came in 21 years old
C - Newhouse was bounched around from guard to tackle and left to right before he was tossed in the fire in last year
D - Once Bulaga went down, protections slided right, leaving Newhouse on islands against the very best the NFL has to offer
E - He looked average, all alone, on an island at LT (a spot typically only the best are put in, but Newhouse had to do it because the right side was so bad.)
F - He'll still be 24 at the start of next season
G - His lateral agility is off the charts for a guy his size, making him a prize pass protecting talent
H - He's continued to get better every game and continued to take on more responsibility every game. His star points up, even still

His downside is he's not the most powerful or explosive guy. He'll probably never be better than good in his career. He'll probably only be good during these next 5 or so years of his prime. He's going to have to work really hard to get the strength and power he needs to play at a high level. He's been healthy and able to do that though, so despite his short comings physically, he's able to get the very most from his body. If that continues, he'll be more than strong enough. . .

I'd love to replace him with a 22 year old Chad Clifton. Problem is, there are only 10 OT's in the league who are at that level. The odds of getting one are slim. We're in the pack of teams with a servicable guy. I don't think people appreciate that nearly enough, nor do they realize how hard it is to upgrade from that. Top LT's are usually top 10-15 picks and a bunch of those flounder too. With 12 at the helm, we're not goign to be picking in the top 10 anytime soon. I suggest you guys get used to having a serviceable LT, not a star.

Joemailman
01-23-2013, 12:19 PM
I thought it was the reverse? That he is perfectly suited physically and the correct size for Guard but his technique and feet make him more at home at Tackle. He was not good at Guard in his first camp.

The talk of him coming out of the draft was that he was better suited to Guard than Tackle. However, based on his first training camp, the Packers came to the opposite conclusion. They felt he played better at Tackle than Guard. Of course, these are the same people that thought Allan Barbre was ready to start at RT a few years ago.

mraynrand
01-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Good post, JH. Everyone would like to move from the Outhouse to the Penthouse, but you'll be just fine in a middle class house with a ferrari in the garage. I think some people are still looking at Newhouse like he's an FHA bargain special, with all the copper pipes and windows missing. Enough of the silly metaphor - if he's solid, the Packers can draft elsewhere, but if a gem of a tackle falls to them, they probably should take it.

Question: How many right now would trade Newhouse straight up for Gabe Carimi?

3irty1
01-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Newhouse has the length and the athleticism you look for in a tackle as well as top football pedigree, but he's very marginal for an NFL starter. Remember the reason he was kicked all around the line was because he seemed to full-on suck at everything but LT where he could at least get you out of a game or two. Good that he's in his best position but bad that he's the worst link of our 5 in the most important position on our 5. What we've got on our hands is the same situation the Bears have with Webb.

I think JH is getting this koolaid from the same pitcher as he did for Alex Green. Sherrod takes Newhouses job in a fair fight. Sherrod can be an all-pro dancing bear like Clifton was.

Guiness
01-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Newhouse has the length and the athleticism you look for in a tackle as well as top football pedigree, but he's very marginal for an NFL starter. Remember the reason he was kicked all around the line was because he seemed to full-on suck at everything but LT where he could at least get you out of a game or two. Good that he's in his best position but bad that he's the worst link of our 5 in the most important position on our 5. What we've got on our hands is the same situation the Bears have with Webb.

I think JH is getting this koolaid from the same pitcher as he did for Alex Green. Sherrod takes Newhouses job in a fair fight. Sherrod can be an all-pro dancing bear like Clifton was.

What are you basing this on? Not saying you're right or wrong, but have we seen near enough of him at the NFL level to say what he can or can't do?

I am awful curious what happens with Bulaga. He showed some flashes of being a very good RT, and some breakdowns. Which was the real him? Barcley play very well for a rookie thrown in halfway through a season. Could he unseat Bulaga, and if so, then what?

Guiness
01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
In other news, there's a former first round pick who's been out of the NFL for a few years that looks like he could play some tackle. He's lot weight, but could easily put it back on.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21603465/report-jamarcus-russell-attempting-comeback-still-quite-chunky

*ROFL*

Joemailman
01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
What are you basing this on? Not saying you're right or wrong, but have we seen near enough of him at the NFL level to say what he can or can't do?

I am awful curious what happens with Bulaga. He showed some flashes of being a very good RT, and some breakdowns. Which was the real him? Barcley play very well for a rookie thrown in halfway through a season. Could he unseat Bulaga, and if so, then what?

Bulaga got off to a slow start, and had a bad game against Seattle, but then played pretty well. He was outstanding in 2011. He's the team's best RT, could play LT better than Newhouse if they wanted him to, and was outplaying Colledge at LG in the 2010 preseason before he got hurt. The only issue with him is injuries. He's missed games every year. I really liked the way Barclay played, especially in the run game. If Sherrod can't make it back to health, I'd like to see them move Bulaga to LT. If Sherrod is healthy, I'd leave Bulaga at RT, and let Sherrod and Newhouse battle it out at LT. The loser of the LT battle and Barclay would then by your primary backups.

Guiness
01-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Bulaga got off to a slow start, and had a bad game against Seattle, but then played pretty well. He was outstanding in 2011. He's the team's best RT, could play LT better than Newhouse if they wanted him to, and was outplaying Colledge at LG in the 2010 preseason before he got hurt. The only issue with him is injuries. He's missed games every year. I really liked the way Barclay played, especially in the run game. If Sherrod can't make it back to health, I'd like to see them move Bulaga to LT. If Sherrod is healthy, I'd leave Bulaga at RT, and let Sherrod and Newhouse battle it out at LT. The loser of the LT battle and Barclay would then by your primary backups.

I was referring to your comment that Sherrod can be an All-Pro, I don't know that we saw any signs of that.

RashanGary
01-23-2013, 06:47 PM
The Packers have a clear and I think intentional evolving offense.

Edgar Bennett seems to be doing a great job with James Jones. The guy seems to take a ton of pride in his blocking, and some of those short dump offs with blockers out in front are working wonders for the off coverages we're seeing as teams attempt to stop AR from going down field. Guys seem to really be taking pride in reading blocks on those semi-run plays, getting yards and blocking as a whole.

Barclay looks like a guy with some natural power. He seems to get movement. I'd be very curious to see Barclay/Lang/Sitton inside. All three of those guys can move the line of scrimmage in the run game a little. Bulaga has a little strength to him too, although less than I think we hoped. It's still better than a guy like Newhouse or Clifton.

Cobb is kind of the oddball in our new look offense, but we're lining up to possibly have a strong run blocking unit. From the perimeter with Jones/Nelson to the OL where Barclay has been a very positive surprise. He gives me an anticipation broner.

I'd love to see us draft a RB in the first 2 rounds (maybe even move up to the top of the 2nd to get a guy like Ball or whoever's out there with instincts and ability (a Matt Forte, all around type, is my ideal *and realistic for where we draft* idea of a RB) We land a guy like that and we continue to grow as a blocking unit, I like our chances of really becoming a consistent offense that makes our defense stronger too. We also need to take pressure off AR's body. He's taking a beating, and I think it showed down the stretch this year. He just didn't look like the same guy the last few games. He's approaching 30. I just don't think it's a good idea to put it all on his shoulders, especially the way he likes to play. The great ones think they're invincible out there, and AR is no different. I think you have to force him out of those situations because a thoroughbred will never take themselves out of the line of fire. I like AR fresh. When the game is on the line. . . when that guy is right, he brings a running dimension that I think can still make a difference if he's healthy at the end. Playoffs are the time I like QB's to run. You risk it all to win the SB. We have to be smart to get him there healthy though.

You know me, always the optimist and a bit of a dreamer, but as usual, I have visions of this offense changing in a positive, tougher sort of way. Barclay is kind of a big piece for me. I just envision that guy with Lang and Sitton making a difference in our run game. We've never had three guys inside who can get movement, not for a long time anyway. Lang would have the best combination of strength and athleticism we've had at center since I've been watching the Packers. I kind of like that thought.

pbmax
01-23-2013, 09:09 PM
The talk of him coming out of the draft was that he was better suited to Guard than Tackle. However, based on his first training camp, the Packers came to the opposite conclusion. They felt he played better at Tackle than Guard. Of course, these are the same people that thought Allan Barbre was ready to start at RT a few years ago.

I took that scouting report to mean that scouts thought his best pro position was going to be guard given his physical parameters. But from the start several observers said his feet and movement were left tackle like.

If I am not wrong in that he played tackle in college, it would seem to be a long term project to fit him in a guard given his poor performance there in camp. Either way, I would love to have him as backup, perhaps even one day to be an emergency guard.

RashanGary
01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
I took that scouting report to mean that scouts thought his best pro position was going to be guard given his physical parameters. But from the start several observers said his feet and movement were left tackle like.

If I am not wrong in that he played tackle in college, it would seem to be a long term project to fit him in a guard given his poor performance there in camp. Either way, I would love to have him as backup, perhaps even one day to be an emergency guard.

Athletically, he measures out showing a really extreme lack of power/explosiveness, something that would be pretty damning for an OG. It does make sense, the guy struggles mightily getting movement. His only true redeeming quality is his lateral agility and his unsuspecting length for his height. Just looking at his skillset, I think LT is his best position due to the premium placed on lateral agility. Even RT, his run blocking issues would be even further exaggerated and his inability to handle power would probably be exaggerated too, on the side where most lineman tend to be more power players.

He's a serviceable LT and young. Hopefully we can upgrade him. If there's a position you'd like to have a good backup at, LT would be it. He could probably be servicable on the right side too, but his real value, I think, is as a LT (preferably backup, but more realistically starting for at least another year.)

Joemailman
01-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Here's a couple scouting reports on him:

NFL.com

Pick Analysis: Newhouse comes from a strong football family but does not show the kind of instincts and mental awareness than you'd expect from someone with that kind of background. As long as the defensive front plays pretty vanilla in terms of stunts and twists, he shows no hesitations or indecision, but he can be late to react and adjust when he sees something for the first time. He shows good initial quickness and speed but struggles when he has to adjust on the move or react to counter moves. He was a quality starter at left tackle for the past three years at TCU but will probably find a better fit inside at guard at the next level.

A closer look at the Packers' picks: Round 5/169 -- Marshall Newhouse, OT/G, 6-4, 319, Texas Christian: The three-year starter at left tackle is better suited to play guard at the pro level. Newhouse is quick on his feet for a big man, but his pass-blocking skills are hit-and-miss. - by The Sports Xchange
Marshall Newhouse/TC

There is some reference to his inability to finish plays.

pbmax
01-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Here's a couple scouting reports on him:

snipped

There is some reference to his inability to finish plays.

So its a case where they don't see him as a tackle in the pros and then project him at guard. That's pretty much what I remember. Frankly, he looks better than this scouting report, but its pretty on the nose. JH mentioned (I think) him getting beaten inside occasionally on counter moves and we have seen him make initial, good contact and then lose the guy. He gets into position fine, but doesn't always stay there. I saw marginal improvement from him in this area this year but he has a ways to go.

Packers4Glory
01-24-2013, 12:56 PM
I just hope Sherrod comes back 100% because our best line would be him at LT, Bulaga at RT. Then you have Newhouse who I'll admit would be serviceable as fill in starter for a couple games if needed. Barclay showed some promise but has a long way to go. He's not yet anywhere near being able to supplant Bulaga or anyone of the starters on the line. He's still a developmental guy who got forced into action because there was zero depth on the O-line outside of EDS to start the season.

Even if Sherrod doesn't win the job in camp, IF IF IF he's really healthy, I think he'll take over at some point during the season. Talent wise Newhouse doesn't stack up. Mentally I'm not sure but I doubt Newhouse wins that category either. It won't be a matter of if he'll start for Sherrod, just a matter of when. It may take more than just camp and the preseason for him to shake off the rust and be ready to take over.

I would feel a lot better about or line as a whole if Newhouse can be relegated to a backup role, because as a backup he's pretty good and now has some experience to build from. He needs to work at LT and the G spots. Barclay or ??? whoever at RT.

I think the only way Bulaga moves back to the left is if Sherrod is not ready, and Newhouse gets hurt...or Barclay just shows massive improvement on the right side.

run pMc
01-24-2013, 01:41 PM
I just hope Sherrod comes back 100% because our best line would be him at LT, Bulaga at RT. Then you have Newhouse who I'll admit would be serviceable as fill in starter for a couple games if needed. Barclay showed some promise but has a long way to go. He's not yet anywhere near being able to supplant Bulaga or anyone of the starters on the line. He's still a developmental guy who got forced into action because there was zero depth on the O-line outside of EDS to start the season.

Even if Sherrod doesn't win the job in camp, IF IF IF he's really healthy, I think he'll take over at some point during the season. Talent wise Newhouse doesn't stack up. Mentally I'm not sure but I doubt Newhouse wins that category either. It won't be a matter of if he'll start for Sherrod, just a matter of when. It may take more than just camp and the preseason for him to shake off the rust and be ready to take over.

I would feel a lot better about or line as a whole if Newhouse can be relegated to a backup role, because as a backup he's pretty good and now has some experience to build from. He needs to work at LT and the G spots. Barclay or ??? whoever at RT.

I think the only way Bulaga moves back to the left is if Sherrod is not ready, and Newhouse gets hurt...or Barclay just shows massive improvement on the right side.

+1

I think the jury's still out on Sherrod, so all those "big if's" apply. Using the dreaded "based on potential..." qualification, Sherrod should win the LT spot over Newhouse. I think Newhouse has a pretty good jump on him due to game experience and being healthy. I don't know if Newhouse would demand a trade if he lost the starter spot, but I suspect not. He'd be a pretty solid backup -- better than most teams for sure.

Datko is a wildcard. My thought is TT is drafting with the idea that Newhouse will eventually be replaced by Sherrod and sign elsewhere with Sherrod being the franchise LT and Datko the backup. The injury histories of Sherrod and Datko worry me though.

I can't help but appreciate how TT will draft as though he's succession planning -- some GM's are far too reactive.

smuggler
01-24-2013, 03:41 PM
We don't need any All-Pro linemen. What we need are competent linemen who don't get embarrassed or get our QB killed.

Packers4Glory
01-25-2013, 08:05 AM
I loved the Datko pick. I'll be interested in seeing how he is doing in camp and preseason next season. I agree he's a wildcard. Lets see how he prepares this offseason and if he's ready to come into camp and battle for a spot. He's a sleeper in my opinion. He either shows he has a spark early, or he won't last long in camp.