PDA

View Full Version : More teams coming to 3-4 = less talent???

packers11
01-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Arizona Cardinals
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Browns
Green Bay Packers
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Kansas City Chiefs
New York Jets
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Diego Chargers
San Francisco 49ers
Washington Redskins

Coming to 3-4 this season:

Atlanta
Eagles
St Louis
Saints

Hybrid:

Patriots

More than half of the teams in the NFL are going to run the 3-4 for the 2013-2014 season...

Blurb from an ESPN article I found. "Twenty years ago, the 3-4 was the most common NFL defense -- Super Bowl XXV between the Giants and Bills matched two 3-4 defenses. Roughly by the year 2000, NFL offenses had figured out how to counter the 3-4, and defensive coordinators began to rediscover the 4-3."

It seemed like the 2000's (2000-2010) was dominated by 4-3 defenses and teams like the Steelers took advantage of this because during draft time there was a bunch of 3-4 personal on the board that would fit their scheme, and that many other teams would not be needing those type of players.

With the NFL seeming to go into another shift into the 3-4 defense. Teams like the packers and 50%+ of the NFL will all be looking for the prototypical OLB (Clay Matthews) in the draft which will make it even harder to draft to solidify the defense...

Assuming by the middle or end of this time frame (2017-2018) most teams will be running the 3-4 defense in the NFL.

Would it be smart to switch to 4-3 and be the Pitt of the 90's? What are your thoughts on the current shift in the NFL?

Joemailman
01-24-2013, 07:56 PM
I think it's easier to find 250 lb guys who can rush the passer than it is 270-280 lb guys who can do that. In other words, there are more 3-4/OLB types than 4-3/DE types. That's probably why teams are switching. Now, if it gets to the point where 20 teams are playing the 3-4, a switch might make sense.

pbmax
01-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Jets and Ravens each play a hybrid as does Dallas. Suggs and Ware don't play much standup OLB or drop into coverage. They do it even less than Matthews and usually are in a 3 point stance.

RashanGary
01-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Perry is a hybrid too. We'll see how it goes. The Packers kind of do their own thing too. Defenses seem to be more and more flexible as the years go by.

red
01-24-2013, 08:54 PM
I think it's easier to find 250 lb guys who can rush the passer than it is 270-280 lb guys who can do that. In other words, there are more 3-4/OLB types than 4-3/DE types. That's probably why teams are switching. Now, if it gets to the point where 20 teams are playing the 3-4, a switch might make sense.

you really would think it would be easier finding those 250 pound pass rushers

but we're sure having a hell of a time finding a second one

Joemailman
01-24-2013, 09:23 PM
you really would think it would be easier finding those 250 pound pass rushers

but we're sure having a hell of a time finding a second one

I think Perry's going to be pretty good. Other than Matthews and Perry, TT hasn't invested much at the position. A few late picks and a bunch of UDFA's.

pbmax
01-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Perry is a hybrid too. We'll see how it goes. The Packers kind of do their own thing too. Defenses seem to be more and more flexible as the years go by.

He might be a tweener for the position, but he's going to be in a two point stance and occasionally will wind up in coverage.

pbmax
01-24-2013, 09:36 PM
One team is going the other way. Dallas is moving from 3-4 to 4-3.

I read a story that Horton wasn't married to the 3-4 now that he was going to be in Cleveland. Has that changed?

ND72
01-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Kansas City is going 4-3, and Cleveland will likely stay 4-3 as they've been under Shurmur last few years.

Guiness
01-24-2013, 10:17 PM

Those two positions are the hardest to fill on a team. Every team is always looking for another good DL, I don't think you can say that about any other position. Year after year, DL is the most drafted position

mraynrand
01-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Kansas City is going 4-3, and Cleveland will likely stay 4-3 as they've been under Shurmur last few years.

Cleveland drafted a bunch of 4-3 guys under Holmgren; probably shoulda kept Jauron, but a new coach likes his own guys.

Joemailman
01-25-2013, 06:12 AM
Saints fire Spagnuolo as they are switching to 3-4. It's been downhill for Spagnuolo since leaving the Giants.

denverYooper
01-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Saints fire Spagnuolo as they are switching to 3-4. It's been downhill for Spagnuolo since leaving the Giants.

No kidding. He was the hot coordinator for a while. Turns out the Giants DL can make a lot of DCs look good.

Smidgeon
01-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Would it be smart to switch to 4-3 and be the Pitt of the 90's? What are your thoughts on the current shift in the NFL?

I've been wondering that a bit myself. But if the Pack were to do that, it'd probably be towards the end of the Claymaker's career.

Tony Oday
01-25-2013, 11:37 AM

Ben Leber was on KFAN this morning and said that Spagnuolo needs to have at least 4 years with the same 11 guys to fully impliment his VERY complex defense.

3irty1
01-25-2013, 12:04 PM
The pool of talent is definitely a reason to switch schemes. You want to be in a scheme that can find something to do with any shape of front 7 player that falls to you in the draft and the 3-4 is more flexible that way. I also think it has something to do with the emerging option offenses. The 3-4 is inherently a more difficult formation to run on.

Cheesehead Craig
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
But don't the Packers run a 2-4-5?

pbmax
01-25-2013, 08:34 PM
No kidding. He was the hot coordinator for a while. Turns out the Giants DL can make a lot of DCs look good.

Both those hot guys out of Philly have had trouble. Spags has developed a reputation that the media likes him more than peers or players. NO players were hopping mad about the scheme.

Sean McDermott struggled a bit again in Carolina, though his unit had solid numbers by the end of the season. Lot of people thought the D coaches were getting canned early, but turned out the O was the unit that could not turn it around.

Fritz
01-26-2013, 10:06 AM
It's not just a numbers game; it depends on who's evaluating the available talent, too.

Take heart - there are still Jerry Joneses and Martin Mayhews making draft selections for NFL teams. Throw in Andy Reid and the clown who will be making picks for the Jest, and there's still hope that teams will be taking guys like Larry English while Thompson is taking guys like Clay Matthews.

pbmax
01-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Ray Horton apparently told a Phoenix radio station that the Browns will be running a 3-4. And it won't be a hybrid.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/01/25/13/Random-thoughts-on-the-Cleveland-Browns/landing_browns.html?blockID=854581&feedID=3725

Item: New defensive coordinator Ray Horton told a radio station in Phoenix that the Browns will be running a three-four.

Thought: Didn’t the Browns run a four-three last season?

Teams can make the transition, but it’s not always smooth. And the Browns have built the past three drafts for the four-three.

Item: Speaking on 910 AM in Arizona, Horton said of the defense: “It won't be a hybrid, not unless you're playing golf.''

Thought: Wait, didn’t the head coach say it would be a hybrid?

Interesting.

Item: Horton promised an attacking defense similar to what Dick LeBeau plays in Pittsburgh.