PDA

View Full Version : Don Beebe Is A Man

pbmax
01-25-2013, 09:01 PM
A man probably facing some cognitive issues later in life.

From Jason Wilde's Sulia account (No, I don't know why on earth Sulia exists)

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
How different is #NFL's stance on concussions? Consider a stunning story Don Beebe told at an @ESPNMadison event: http://t.co/M8Ch1p9G

How different is #NFL's stance on concussions? Consider a stunning story Don Beebe told at an @ESPNMadison event:
Beebe, the former Packers wide receiver, suffered six major, diagnosed concussions during his nine-year NFL career. Speaking at a Lunch with Legends event, Beebe told this story:

In a November 1996 game, he was knocked out -- TWICE -- in the same game. The second time, Beebe said, he was snoring on the field for roughly two minutes, and smelling salts were ineffective in trying to awaken him.

And yet, Beebe STILL returned to the game. And neither of those concussions were included among the six he was diagnosed with in his career.

The amazing part? Beebe not only returned to the game TWICE, he then caught a 65-yard touchdown pass in the Packers' 28-18 victory over the Lions at Lambeau Field.

JohnMexico
01-25-2013, 09:25 PM
As rough and tough these as these players are (and I'm talking most NFL players), they can't possibly know whats at stake in the heat of the moment. They'd play through anything if it would lift the spirits of teammates by being in the huddle. Yes, that is quite something, but for the love of God if the smelling salts, I'd be angry if my player didn't say something, even in 1996. Holy shit.

The other side of tales like this, is the RGIII saga. Sportnations was playing their 44 top "Cheers, Jeer, and Tears" moments of the football season, and nobody was more a victim than Griffin. He put his body in limbo more than anyone, and most of his decisions to do so were completely asinine.

hoosier
01-26-2013, 01:10 PM
And neither of those concussions were included among the six he was diagnosed with in his career.

What does it take to get a diagnosis around here?!? I saw a replay of just that game a few months ago, and it was very strange to watch a guy who was clearly concussed--in both cases--get sent/allowed back into the game not once but twice. It was the equivalent of watching the Bad News Bears today and seeing old Walter Mathau bombing down the highway with eleven kids dangling from the doors.

pbmax
01-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Its pretty clear that players won't take themselves out of a game and there are a half dozen reasons we are all familiar with that they would react in that fashion. Favre himself said he played in fear of someone treating him like Majkowsi.

Someone with a clear head has to make that call on the sideline. Somehow, the current iteration of the Packers seems to get most of them right. Rodgers in the Bears playoff game would be one they seemed to miss. The League needs to keep moving in that direction and away from Shanahan justifying the decision by saying "the player told me he was OK."

If MLB teams have managers who have to tell pitchers to head to the showers no matter what the pitcher thinks, then NFL teams can muster up the wherewithal.

mraynrand
01-26-2013, 03:40 PM
I remember that game. I knew he got the hell beat out of him that day, but I didn't know it was that bad. I have it on VHS. If I find some good video, I'll post it.

I saw a replay of just that game a few months ago

seriously? How the hell did that happen?

hoosier
01-26-2013, 07:50 PM
I mistyped, I replayed it on dvd as I was pedaling away on the bike trainer, bored to tears, wishing it wasn't so damned icy outside so I could actually go for a run. Watching Bebee come back from his concussion and then get knocked into next week a short while later made me realize things could be a lot worse.

mraynrand
01-26-2013, 07:58 PM
I mistyped, I replayed it on dvd as I was pedaling away on the bike trainer, bored to tears, wishing it wasn't so damned icy outside so I could actually go for a run. Watching Bebee come back from his concussion and then get knocked into next week a short while later made me realize things could be a lot worse.

I don't have my copy on DVD yet!

BTW, http://www.icespike.com/ Love them. They are glorified sheet metal screws, but they work.

hoosier
01-26-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't have my copy on DVD yet!

BTW, http://www.icespike.com/ Love them. They are glorified sheet metal screws, but they work.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've tried the coils and got fed up with them slipping off, was about to try 3/8" hex screws. Your things look like they offer a little more bite.

mraynrand
01-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I've tried the coils and got fed up with them slipping off, was about to try 3/8" hex screws. Your things look like they offer a little more bite.

they're good on stretches of ice, snow pack, and streets maybe up to an inch, inch and a half deep. Any deeper than that, and you're snowshoeing anyway. Didn't put then on the heels. Hated the coils too.

Freak Out
01-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Yaktrax are not made for ice...period. Icebugs are nice but expensive....I've been through all kinds of screws like the icespike but have stuck with a set of Jordan David traction devices. The cleats are replaceable and very sturdy. Plus I can pull them off easily and walk into the house or other building.

woodbuck27
01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
As rough and tough these as these players are (and I'm talking most NFL players), they can't possibly know whats at stake in the heat of the moment. They'd play through anything if it would lift the spirits of teammates by being in the huddle. Yes, that is quite something, but for the love of God if the smelling salts, I'd be angry if my player didn't say something, even in 1996. Holy shit.

The other side of tales like this, is the RGIII saga. Sportnations was playing their 44 top "Cheers, Jeer, and Tears" moments of the football season, and nobody was more a victim than Griffin. He put his body in limbo more than anyone, and most of his decisions to do so were completely asinine.

Watching RGIII play that game until he just wore out; with a healthy QB on the sidelines, was IMO one of the most shocking events in the NFL this past season.

This is the Skins FRANCHISE. Did his leg have to fall off to get him on the sidelines.

The sickest thing is that all the experts went along with it; while the fans held their faces in pain. If it was a war hopefully a soldier would receive more compassion and common decency.

mraynrand
01-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Watching RGIII play that game until he just wore out; with a healthy QB on the sidelines, was IMO one of the most shocking events in the NFL this past season.

This is the Skins FRANCHISE. Did his leg have to fall off to get him on the sidelines.

The sickest thing is that all the experts went along with it; while the fans held their faces in pain. If it was a war hopefully a soldier would receive more compassion and common decency.

RGIII got treated like a war horse. When James Anderson went out onto the field I was guessing there was a 20% chance they would put RGIII down right there on the field with a pistol shot to the head. Of course, then they lose all the stud fees.

George Cumby
01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Try these on for size:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qmWcKaStsFM/TlY9RGkR1dI/AAAAAAAADq8/qQ1-6Vh6XIk/s1600/SAM_3499.JPG