PDA

View Full Version : Packer LB Dave Robinson elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame

woodbuck27
02-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Dave Robinson elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130202/PKR0101/130202014/Dave-Robinson-elected-Pro-Football-Hall-Fame?nclick_check=1

" Dave Robinson, an athletic linebacker who starred for the Green Bay Packers from 1963 to 1972, was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame today.

Robinson becomes the 12th member of the Packers' Glory Years teams to be enshrined in Canton, and the 22nd Hall of Fame player or coach who spent most of his career with the Packers. Five other Hall of Famers spent parts of their careers in Green Bay."

Robinson was nominated as a Senior Committee candidate last August, which goes to older players that have been removed from the regular ballot.

In this years class:

Offensive linemen Larry Allen and Jonathan Ogden and defensive tackle Warren Sapp highlighted the list of seven nominated Saturday for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

All three were first-time candidates, tying the record for total first-time enshrinees.

Former head coach Bill Parcells, wide receiver Cris Carter and senior candidates Curly Culp along with Dave Robinson will also be inducted into the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 3.

RashanGary
02-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Congrats to Robinson. He's a player I really didn't know a lot about, and still don't. Listening to people who knew the game then, it sounds like he was a true superstar. Just looking at the way the guy was built, it looks like he could play today. Guys have to be on every supplement known to man, eat perfectly and in some cases use illegal performance enhancers to carry the weight he carried and be so athletic with it.

It's a great story to have him in there. It sounds like he's a great guy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILL2g0plOt0

RashanGary
02-02-2013, 07:40 PM
He should be added to the Lambeau ring of honor. All Packer HOFers made that list. The Packers have a ton of old-timers who literally helped keep this team in GB and still talk about those years. I imagine he'll get his share of gratitude if he gets a ceremony at one of the games.

woodbuck27
02-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Congrats to Robinson. He's a player I really didn't know a lot about, and still don't. Listening to people who knew the game then, it sounds like he was a true superstar. Just looking at the way the guy was built, it looks like he could play today. Guys have to be on every supplement known to man, eat perfectly and in some cases use illegal performance enhancers to carry the weight he carried and be so athletic with it.

It's a great story to have him in there. It sounds like he's a great guy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILL2g0plOt0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Robinson_(American_football)

" Dave Robinson became the starting left side linebacker for the Packers and remained in that role with the team through 1972. Alongside the immortal MLB Ray Nitschke and Pro Bowler Lee Roy Caffey, the three formed one of the best starting units of linebackers in NFL history.

Robinson was not only adept at defending the run but also against the pass. He intercepted 21 passes as a Packer, including five in 1966, which tied cornerback Bob Jeter for the team lead. Robinson played on two Super Bowl Championship teams, and won a total of three NFL Titles with the Packers (1965, 1966, 1967). During that time, he developed a reputation as a big-game player."

Career highlights and awards

Pro Bowls: 1966, 1967, 1969

Awards: 1967 Pro Bowl MVP

Honors: AP, NEA and UPI 1st Team All-Pro (1967); NEA and UPI 1st Team All-Pro (1968)

AP and PFWA 2nd Team All-Pro (1968); NEA, Pro Football Weekly, The Sporting News and UPI 1st Team All-Pro (1969)

PFWA 2nd Team All-Pro (1969) and NFL 1960s All-Decade Team

KYPack
02-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Remember when Holmgren said that the Lombardi was coming home when we won the SB? Well reality is coming home now that Robby got in the PFHOF. The unprecedented 3 NFL title run from '65 - '67 was fueled by the Packer defense. The reason the Packer defense was so effective was that they had 3 HOFers on the left side of that stingy D. Dave Robinson LOLB, Willie Davis LDE, & Herb Adderley LCB. These guys locked down offenses. You couldn't run to your right or pass that way very much either.

JH, you are learning your Packer history. Dave Robinson is like Don Hutson, Sammy Baugh, Jim Brown, etc. They would play and be stars in any era. Dave was 6'3", 245 and both quick and fast. Robby had long arms and legs and knew how to use em in both run defense and pass coverage. Dave's arms were like stovepipes, he'd use 'em like clubs to quickly shed blockers. Throwing over him was virtually impossible with his long limbs and quick feet. He was extremely intelligent and trying to sneak gimmick plays his way was a huge mistake.

Dave had a magnetic personality and was quite at home in front of a camera and mike. He'd be a public sensation in these media saturated times.

Congratulations, big Dave. It's too bad they didn't put him in while his wife and mom were still alive.

Patler
02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Years ago, when I first started participating on Packer discussion sites, in a thread about the best Packers of all time, I included Robinson as one of my linebackers. I was more than a little surprised at the "ridicule" I received from many who never saw him play but argued he was only a product of the team and a beneficiary of playing next to Nitschke. Many had no idea who I was even writing about. It made me sad how under-appreciated he was among current Packer fans.

Those of us who did see him play can appreciate what a stunning impact he had. When crucial defensive plays were made, more often than not Robinson had a hand in them. During his time, he was often described as the best all-around linebacker in the league. Dave Hanner, a lifelong Packer as a defensive lineman, d-line coach, defensive coordinator and scout flat out proclaimed Robinson as having been a better player than Nitschke.

I have to admit, I thought he no longer had a shot at the HOF. I figured the time for election of Packers from the '60s was well past, with maybe only Jerry Kramer still have a chance with the veterans committee. I was pleasantly surprised at his nomination this year, and I am thrilled at his election. The voters got this one absolutely correct.

My current nominees for players who I watched play that I feel Packer fans under-appreciate - Bob Skoronski, Lionel Aldridge, Gale Gillingham and Fred Carr.

Bretsky
02-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Years ago, when I first started participating on Packer discussion sites, in a thread about the best Packers of all time, I included Robinson as one of my linebackers. I was more than a little surprised at the "ridicule" I received from many who never saw him play but argued he was only a product of the team and a beneficiary of playing next to Nitschke. Many had no idea who I was even writing about. It made me sad how under-appreciated he was among current Packer fans.

Those of us who did see him play can appreciate what a stunning impact he had. When crucial defensive plays were made, more often than not Robinson had a hand in them. During his time, he was often described as the best all-around linebacker in the league. Dave Hanner, a lifelong Packer as a defensive lineman, d-line coach, defensive coordinator and scout flat out proclaimed Robinson as having been a better player than Nitschke.

I have to admit, I thought he no longer had a shot at the HOF. I figured the time for election of Packers from the '60s was well past, with maybe only Jerry Kramer still have a chance with the veterans committee. I was pleasantly surprised at his nomination this year, and I am thrilled at his election. The voters got this one absolutely correct.

My current nominees for players who I watched play that I feel Packer fans under-appreciate - Bob Skoronski, Lionel Aldridge, Gale Gillingham and Fred Carr.

I did not see any of those guys play so I'd like your view

Is Kramer deserving of the HOF ?????

Patler
02-03-2013, 02:26 PM
I did not see any of those guys play so I'd like your view

Is Kramer deserving of the HOF ?????

One reason it is hard for me to answer that is because I think Gale Gillingham was better than Kramer.

But looking at Kramer in his time, compared to others who played at the same time, and considering what he accomplished, all the recognition and awards he received as a player in that time frame, yes, I think he is deserving of the HOF.

digitaldean
02-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Great Robinson got in. Long overdue. Kramer should be next in.

woodbuck27
02-03-2013, 11:23 PM
One reason it is hard for me to answer that is because I think Gale Gillingham was better than Kramer.

But looking at Kramer in his time, compared to others who played at the same time, and considering what he accomplished, all the recognition and awards he received as a player in that time frame, yes, I think he is deserving of the HOF.

Jerry Kramer is certainly deserving of the NFL HOF.

Career highlights and awards

3 × Pro Bowl selection; 5× First-Team All-Pro selection in 1960, 1962, 1963, 1966 and 1967.

1 × Second-Team All-Pro selection (1968)

5 × NFL champion (1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967); 2 × Super Bowl champion (I, II)

NFL 1960s All-Decade Team and NFL 50th Anniversary Team

Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame

GO PACKERS !

George Cumby
02-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Very pleased about DR. I, too, thought that the committee would consider themselves too full of Glory Years Packers.

Patler
02-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Add another person who should know what he is talking about, HOF'er player and long time NFL coach Raymond Berry, to the list of people making very lofty comparisons of Robinson to all time greats. Bengtsen and Hanner compared him to Nitschke, now Berry compares him to Lawrence Taylor. From the GBPG:

Here’s even higher praise: In terms of size and athletic ability, Robinson was Lawrence Taylor before there was a Lawrence Taylor. The one big difference between them was that Taylor was a nonpareil pass rusher, whereas Robinson played mostly laterally or backpedaling in coverage.

“Comparing him to Lawrence Taylor is a pretty accurate way of explaining how good Dave was,” Pro Football Hall of Famer and former NFL head coach Raymond Berry said in an interview two weeks ago. “Those two guys were as good as it gets.”

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130202/PKR07/130202016/Cliff-Christl-column-Robinson-set-Packers-path-glory

wpony
02-07-2013, 02:53 PM

Hi I would say these 2 are defiantly worthy Lionel Aldridge, Gale Gillingham they were great players rock solid both on and off the field.

Pugger
02-09-2013, 10:34 AM

This is what is sad about a lot of football fans of all NFL teams. If they never saw a player play they dismiss him. Poor Fred Carr never got a lot of love from Packer fans because he had to follow Ray.

Patler
02-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Fred Carr had the misfortune of following a lot of great Packer linebackers in the '60s. Dan Currie, Bill Forester and Ray Nitschke started out the '60s. Leroy Caffey replaced Forrester, then Robinson replaced Currie. Nitschke, Caffey and Robinson had a long run together until Carr replaced Caffey and Jim Carter replaced Nitschke in the early '70s.

Nitschke was the common thread through the entire decade, but the outside linebackers were just as good. Bill Forester was a first team All-Pro for several years in the early '60s. Currie, Caffey and Robinson all made first team All-Pro different years during the '60s, too. Off course, all were frequent recipients of other awards that were given by the various news services. Fred Carr kept the tradition alive, but the teams of the '70s that he played on did not receive much recognition, even though the defense had some very good players in Carr, Willie Buchanon, etc.

Even Jim Carter, who replaced Nitschke, was a pretty good linebacker who started for most of the '70s. Fans never started warming up to him until after Nitschke retired, and I don't think ever fully appreciated him.

Fritz
02-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Fred Carr had the misfortune of following a lot of great Packer linebackers in the '60s. Dan Currie, Bill Forester and Ray Nitschke started out the '60s. Leroy Caffey replaced Forrester, then Robinson replaced Currie. Nitschke, Caffey and Robinson had a long run together until Carr replaced Caffey and Jim Carter replaced Nitschke in the early '70s.

Nitschke was the common thread through the entire decade, but the outside linebackers were just as good. Bill Forester was a first team All-Pro for several years in the early '60s. Currie, Caffey and Robinson all made first team All-Pro different years during the '60s, too. Off course, all were frequent recipients of other awards that were given by the various news services. Fred Carr kept the tradition alive, but the teams of the '70s that he played on did not receive much recognition, even though the defense had some very good players in Carr, Willie Buchanon, etc.

Even Jim Carter, who replaced Nitschke, was a pretty good linebacker who started for most of the '70s. Fans never started warming up to him until after Nitschke retired, and I don't think ever fully appreciated him.

Willie Buchanon was an excellent, excellent player. But the drafts that followed (from '73 on) were pretty bereft of talent. The occasional player was drafted, but not enough of them to make the team much of a contender. They were pretty lacksadaisical-looking for most of the 70's.