PDA

View Full Version : Greg Jennings ready for change, would love a Joe Philbin reunion

woodbuck27
02-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Greg Jennings ready for change, would love a Joe Philbin reunion

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/02/greg-jennings-preparing-for-change-would-love-a-joe-philbin-reunion/

" Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post reports that Jennings appeared on the Dolphins’ team-owned Internet show on Friday and talked about how much he’d love to play for Philbin again.

“Joe, how you doing. Remember me?” Jennings said. “He’s one of my favorite coaches. Obviously he jokes a lot, little subtle things here and there, but he’s a great coach to have. He was a great coach to play for. He’s one of those guys that you can have a relationship outside of football. As a player you admire a coach when he actually opens himself up like that.”..."

rbaloha1
02-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Watched GJ during a Mike & Mike pre super bowl segment on friday -- diva all about the money.

Faker. Aloha GJ.

RashanGary
02-02-2013, 07:44 PM
He's going to get tagged and throw a monster fucking fit about it. Thompson hasn't had too many messes outside the Favre disaster. I think we're about to see another one. Of course, nothing can compare to Favre, but this, I think, is going to get ugly. We'd be stupid not to tag him. We'll get a pick, should be a 2nd, high 3rd at the worst.

pbmax
02-02-2013, 08:10 PM
He's going to get tagged and throw a monster fucking fit about it. Thompson hasn't had too many messes outside the Favre disaster. I think we're about to see another one. Of course, nothing can compare to Favre, but this, I think, is going to get ugly. We'd be stupid not to tag him. We'll get a pick, should be a 2nd, high 3rd at the worst.

Nope. If they were going to tag him, he would know because of the contract negotiations that had been happening prior. He knows he is gone. They haven't been talking a multi-year deal for some time, if at all.

woodbuck27
02-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Nope. If they were going to tag him, he would know because of the contract negotiations that had been happening prior. He knows he is gone. They haven't been talking a multi-year deal for some time, if at all.

I agree as tagging GJ will only cause a locker room disruption.

TT simply has to cut the ties with this player and demonstrate some consistency ie Scott Wells.

Bretsky
02-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Man.........I agree with JH; anything less than a tag is doing the Packers a dis service.
Want a 3rd.........maybe......next year........that equals a 4th this year
This is the business side of football
The players and owners agreed to this pact

Gotta tag and trade Jennings. If other teams bluff us maybe we only get a 3rd.......but better to make sure we get the 3rd.....which would be a better outcome than we were banking on with Wells

I agree 100% with JH

We'd be stupid not to tag him. Actually he was being too nice by just saying "stupid"

woodbuck27
02-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Man.........I agree with JH; anything less than a tag is doing the Packers a dis service.

Gotta tag and trade Jennings. If other teams bluff us maybe we only get a 3rd.......but better to make sure we get the 3rd.....which would be a better outcome than we were banking on with Wells

I agree 100% with JH

We'd be stupid not to tag him. Actually he was being too nice by just saying "stupid"

Greg Jennings just wants to get on with his career and he's certainly out there now with making that clear.

It will be interesting to see what TT does. I do agree with the 'good business' side of it.

rbaloha1
02-02-2013, 09:54 PM

I agree 100% with JH

Originally wanted to tag but changed my mind due to injury history and diva attitude.

GJ only wants to be a Packer with a Fitzgerald type contract. Does not deserve it.

The Packers still receive a compensatory pick just like they did for Aaron Kampman.

Joemailman
02-02-2013, 10:42 PM

If TT tags him, it won't be for the purpose of working out a contract. It will be for the purpose of trading him.

rbaloha1
02-03-2013, 08:19 AM
If TT tags him, it won't be for the purpose of working out a contract. It will be for the purpose of trading him.

Trading is also a viable option.

Anything to get rid of the diva and his sister.

ThunderDan
02-03-2013, 09:31 AM

Exactly, let GJ and his agent do the work to get a contract with a new team. Then TT and that team sit down and get the trade done.

This is a little different than the BF situation that BF was under contract and GJ isn't but we could tag him. We need to get draft picks for players that we can control before we let them walk away.

pbmax
02-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Jennings tag is going to be close to $10 million. An amount the Packers have to carry on the books regardless of whether he signs the tender or not. Tag and trade is very hard to pull off.

The Packers cannot carry that charge and get anyone else resigned and it might be high enough to hamper RFA tenders. The cap is going up $400,000 for 2013.

This cannot happen unless the terms are worked out beforehand and it happens quickly. The problem is that the Packers have to act first and that puts Jennings and the other team in the driver's seat. Philbin might love to have Jennings, but he isn't calling the shots in Miami, Jeff Ireland is. The only obvious places are Seattle (Schneider), Oakland (McKenzie) and Kansas City (Dorsey). But in KC, Reid has final say, not Dorsey. And Schneider reports to Pete Carroll.

Odds against it happening are very, very low because of how difficult it is to arrange beforehand (an arrangement, by the way, that is against League rules). The risk is too high at $10 million. The compensatory pick could be a 3rd so there is a very limited benefit to the trade if you get squeezed and offered less than you hope.

Joemailman
02-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Odds against it happening are very, very low because of how difficult it is to arrange beforehand (an arrangement, by the way, that is against League rules). The risk is too high at $10 million. The compensatory pick could be a 3rd so there is a very limited benefit to the trade if you get squeezed and offered less than you hope.

I think the main reason why you try to make a trade is you can control where Jennings ends up. He makes any NFC contender better. TT would probably love to see him in Miami or Oakland rather than Minnesota, Washington or Seattle.

pbmax
02-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I think the main reason why you try to make a trade is you can control where Jennings ends up. He makes any NFC contender better. TT would probably love to see him in Miami or Oakland rather than Minnesota, Washington or Seattle.

Anything is possible. But the downside is huge if you can't find a dance partner you can trust implicitly.

Freak Out
02-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Watched GJ during a Mike & Mike pre super bowl segment on friday -- diva all about the money.

Faker. Aloha GJ.

Whatever dude. Welcome to America....its all about the money now. Jennings is going to do whatever he can to make the most money and you can't blame him. If the Packers were ready to pay him the most he would stay.

rbaloha1
02-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Whatever dude. Welcome to America....its all about the money now. Jennings is going to do whatever he can to make the most money and you can't blame him. If the Packers were ready to pay him the most he would stay.

Explain that to Jordy Nelson.

Bretsky
02-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Jennings tag is going to be close to $10 million. An amount the Packers have to carry on the books regardless of whether he signs the tender or not. Tag and trade is very hard to pull off.

The Packers cannot carry that charge and get anyone else resigned and it might be high enough to hamper RFA tenders. The cap is going up $400,000 for 2013.

This cannot happen unless the terms are worked out beforehand and it happens quickly. The problem is that the Packers have to act first and that puts Jennings and the other team in the driver's seat. Philbin might love to have Jennings, but he isn't calling the shots in Miami, Jeff Ireland is. The only obvious places are Seattle (Schneider), Oakland (McKenzie) and Kansas City (Dorsey). But in KC, Reid has final say, not Dorsey. And Schneider reports to Pete Carroll.

Not buying this at all
First off, we let Woodson go ....Driver is gone....and we can carry 10MIL if we have to.
We are not forced to resign Matthews or Rodgers yet, although we are assuming one will get done before next year
We all thought we'd get multiple stellar draft picks with Scott Wells and Matt Flynn leaving; we won't get much with how things turned out
Tag him, and figured out if we can trade him. There will be some teams willing to part with a 3rd. That would be great in comparison to what Flynn and Wells will bring.
At no time did I suggest ever tagging Flynn; that was an insance risk.
But I'll be fine carrying Jennings on more year......and I think the figure is in the high 9's
Go win a Super Bowl, or get a 2nd or 3rd now

Bretsky
02-03-2013, 01:49 PM

You forgot the Rams; they need WR help as much as anybody

mraynrand
02-03-2013, 01:51 PM

GJ's window is extremely narrow. He has to earn all the money he can for the rest of his life all in the next guaranteed money window. Even at that, with his sister and other assorted sycophants bleeding off him like the parasites they are, he'll almost assuredly be out of football cash before he's forty.

Jordy Nelson will face the same situation when his next contract comes up.

That's why Thompson keeps drafting tons of players - if you want to maintain success in the NFL, you can only pay a very small select few the big $$.

rbaloha1
02-03-2013, 01:59 PM
GJ's window is extremely narrow. He has to earn all the money he can for the rest of his life all in the next guaranteed money window. Even at that, with his sister and other assorted sycophants bleeding off him like the parasites they are, he'll almost assuredly be out of football cash before he's forty.

Jordy Nelson will face the same situation when his next contract comes up.

That's why Thompson keeps drafting tons of players - if you want to maintain success in the NFL, you can only pay a very small select few the big $$.

According to Josh Sitton Jordy left too much $ on the table.

Does Jordy have parasites as well?

pbmax
02-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Not buying this at all
First off, we let Woodson go ....Driver is gone....and we can carry 10MIL if we have to.
We are not forced to resign Matthews or Rodgers yet, although we are assuming one will get done before next year
We all thought we'd get multiple stellar draft picks with Scott Wells and Matt Flynn leaving; we won't get much with how things turned out
Tag him, and figured out if we can trade him. There will be some teams willing to part with a 3rd. That would be great in comparison to what Flynn and Wells will bring.
At no time did I suggest ever tagging Flynn; that was an insance risk.
But I'll be fine carrying Jennings on more year......and I think the figure is in the high 9's
Go win a Super Bowl, or get a 2nd or 3rd now

You get a third with a compensatory pick if he signs a big deal. If he doesn't, then he becomes more likely to resign with the Packers. Why shed players to get the same pick?

Patler
Tagging Flynn would have been ridiculous, because if stuck with him there would be little to no return on the money. That was a huge risk.

With Jennings, a tag and failure to trade will still bring great benefit to the Packers, a receiver as good as or better than any they will have without him (assuming he stays healthy). There will be value received from the money spent.

I doubt that a tag and trade will bring much more than what the Packer would get for him as a FA lost. The biggest benefit is that a trade might bring a third round pick in 2013, whereas FA compensation for him will not be until 2014. An extra pick this year, with the team having playoff chances, might be quite valuable.

Long and short - I doubt they will either sign him or tag him. He will simply leave in free agency.

Joemailman

Jordy signed his extension early in his breakout 2011 season. I'm not sure he would have signed that contract if he had waited until the end of the season. He'll be looking for the big money in his next contract.

pbmax
You forgot the Rams; they need WR help as much as anybody

Nobody well known to Packers in the Rams front office unless I am forgetting somebody.

pbmax
02-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Explain that to Jordy Nelson.

He took less money early. He traded bigger bucks for security. He had less of a resume than Jennings after their first contracts were up. He also got a short deal with means he will be hitting FA again before he is 30. Jennings isn't his comparable here, its Jones who probably could have had similar money from previous Packer offers.

Do you really think he left money on the table to be kind to the team and fans?

rbaloha1
02-03-2013, 03:07 PM
He took less money early. He traded bigger bucks for security. He had less of a resume than Jennings after their first contracts were up. He also got a short deal with means he will be hitting FA again before he is 30. Jennings isn't his comparable here, its Jones who probably could have had similar money from previous Packer offers.

Do you really think he left money on the table to be kind to the team and fans?

Jones was coming off a super bowl year of dropsies which lowered his value tremendously. If Jones was fa this year his potential contract would be big.

Given the nature of the NFL no player is assuming the next big one. Nelson blew it.

pbmax
02-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Jones was coming off a super bowl year of dropsies which lowered his value tremendously. If Jones was fa this year his potential contract would be big.

Given the nature of the NFL no player is assuming the next big one. Nelson blew it.

Its easy to say that now. He did not know that 2011 was going to be his breakout season. Jennings is not leaving that to chance and I can't hold that against him.

rbaloha1
02-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Its easy to say that now. He did not know that 2011 was going to be his breakout season. Jennings is not leaving that to chance and I can't hold that against him.

No idea what this means.

mraynrand
02-03-2013, 03:27 PM

you said he blew it. Perhaps he does have sycophantic leeches as well, but they are not as craft as Jenning's leeches. Ask Josh Sitton - he knows all, apparently.

mraynrand
02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
He took less money early. He traded bigger bucks for security.....

Didn't Rodgers do kinda the same thing? I wonder What Josh Sitton said about his contract...

pbmax
02-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Didn't Rodgers do kinda the same thing? I wonder What Josh Sitton said about his contract...

Yes, he signed a deal mid-year a year+ early I think.

Patler
02-03-2013, 06:11 PM

Didn't Rodger sign midway through his first season as a starter, when he still had a full season after the one he was in?

Bretsky
02-03-2013, 06:39 PM
You get a third with a compensatory pick if he signs a big deal. If he doesn't, then he becomes more likely to resign with the Packers. Why shed players to get the same pick?

So are we getting a third for Matt Flynn ?

Ditto for Wells ?

Both signed big deals and we won't garner a third for neither.

Plus, a third next year....at the "END" of the round.......isn't nearly equal to a third this year

Bretsky
02-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Tagging Flynn would have been ridiculous, because if stuck with him there would be little to no return on the money. That was a huge risk.

With Jennings, a tag and failure to trade will still bring great benefit to the Packers, a receiver as good as or better than any they will have without him (assuming he stays healthy). There will be value received from the money spent.

I doubt that a tag and trade will bring much more than what the Packer would get for him as a FA lost. The biggest benefit is that a trade might bring a third round pick in 2013, whereas FA compensation for him will not be until 2014. An extra pick this year, with the team having playoff chances, might be quite valuable.

Long and short - I doubt they will either sign him or tag him. He will simply leave in free agency.

Remember is we let him walk we get a third at the very end of the round as well. They note in trading scenarios one should expect a pick one year later to be worth around a round less. So my view is that end of the round third is about equal to a fourth or fifth rounder this year.

There are desperate teams that need WR help, such as the Rams. Getting a third from the Raiders or Rams is WAY more valuable than an end of the round pick we'd get a year later

Or..........Keep Him and go win a Super Bowl.

IMO...........very stupid to just let him walk instead of work the system

Bretsky
02-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Nobody well known to Packers in the Rams front office unless I am forgetting somebody.

No...sorry........I was just pointing out a team that probably has the worst set of WR's in the NFL.
When the NFL Network was throwing out teams that would be interested in GJ the Rams came up first

Patler
02-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Ditto for Wells ?

Plus, a third next year....at the "END" of the round.......isn't nearly equal to a third this year

One will be offset by the signing of Saturday.
It will be interesting to see what the Packers get in view of Flynn's lack of playing time. Supposedly, a player who is a starter, then loses time due to injury is not discounted, so Well's lack of playing time shouldn't hurt.

Patler
02-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Remember is we let him walk we get a third at the very end of the round as well. They note in trading scenarios one should expect a pick one year later to be worth around a round less. So my view is that end of the round third is about equal to a fourth or fifth rounder this year.

There are desperate teams that need WR help, such as the Rams. Getting a third from the Raiders or Rams is WAY more valuable than an end of the round pick we'd get a year later

Or..........Keep Him and go win a Super Bowl.

IMO...........very stupid to just let him walk instead of work the system

I just don't think they will want to tie up the cap dollars in Jennings even if the plan is to trade him.

rbaloha1
02-03-2013, 07:04 PM

you ask him.

rbaloha1
02-03-2013, 07:13 PM
you ask him.

sitton does not believe in home team discount -- called nelson a fool.

gj also does not believe in home team discount.:taunt:

pbmax
02-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Ditto for Wells ?

Not for Flynn. Deal wasn't big enough and he hasn't played. Wells played and he might fetch a better pick.

pbmax
02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
No...sorry........I was just pointing out a team that probably has the worst set of WR's in the NFL.
When the NFL Network was throwing out teams that would be interested in GJ the Rams came up first

Gotcha.

Bretsky
02-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Not for Flynn. Deal wasn't big enough and he hasn't played. Wells played and he might fetch a better pick.

You've made part of my point for me.

Flynn signed a three year deal for around 27 million if I recall. That would have brought a third if only he played all year. That's a pretty big money deal.
But we'll get next to nothing because he was injured and then never returned....that......and Russell Wilson was the second best QB in Wisconsin when Flynn was Rodgers Backup

If Jennings gets hurt badly.....same gig could happen

Tag him and get what you can. I don't want what is pretty much equal to a low 4th or high 5th..........best case.......that's what we get if we let him walk w/o making the effort.

Corey Williams him

pbmax
02-03-2013, 08:35 PM
You've made part of my point for me.

Flynn signed a three year deal for around 27 million if I recall. That would have brought a third if only he played all year. That's a pretty big money deal.
But we'll get next to nothing because he was injured and then never returned....that......and Russell Wilson was the second best QB in Wisconsin when Flynn was Rodgers Backup

If Jennings gets hurt badly.....same gig could happen

Tag him and get what you can. I don't want what is pretty much equal to a low 4th or high 5th..........best case.......that's what we get if we let him walk w/o making the effort.

Corey Williams him

Flynn: Contract:3 yr(s) / $19,500,000

Wasn't going to be a third for that deal. Jennings will either get more or come back at the Packers price.

ND72
02-03-2013, 10:04 PM
If you think Thompson is going to tag him you have got to kidding or dreaming. He's done and gone, and I have no problem with it.he was our 4th best receiver this year even when he was healthy. His prime was our super bowl year, and he's declining fast.

swede
02-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Jordy grew up on a farm. When he is done playing a boy's game for a few million dollars his dad expects him to get right back to work. That shit isn't going to shovel itself.

woodbuck27
02-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Flynn: Contract:3 yr(s) / $19,500,000

Wasn't going to be a third for that deal. Jennings will either get more or come back at the Packers price.

I thought that Matt Flynn signed for more money. Please see this source:

The contract is worth $26 million with $10 million guaranteed, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. ** See LINK

** http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7706316/2012-nfl-free-agency-seattle-seahawks-matt-flynn-agree-deal

and........ this also supports that his contract was for $26 M:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2013/01/23/what-should-the-seahawks-do-with-matt-flynn/

I do believe that TT will simply let GJ go if his price doesn't fall a long ways below $10 Million $ / season .

To keep Greg Jennings for one more season at a cost of $9-10 M... even seriously considering 'somewhat' that the Packers are 'just that close' to a Super Bowl isn't going to be a realistic proposition for Ted Thompson. We're 3-5 years away from another serious run at the big prize.

Seriously Packerrats is Greg Jennings worth $9-10 M to our team next season? Are we seriously that close to being back to 'the SHOW' with Greg Jennings on board?

The Shadow
02-03-2013, 10:31 PM
I think i9t will be a big mistake to let Jennings go,

George Cumby
02-04-2013, 01:09 AM
I think GJ is in decline. I don't think anyone is going to trade for that kind of injury risk, e.g.: No tag and trade

Joemailman
02-04-2013, 07:14 AM
I think i9t will be a big mistake to let Jennings go,

The Packers weren't really any better with Jennings this year than they were without him. Perhaps none of the Packers WR's are as complete a receiver as Jennings is/was, but they're more than good enough. Most QB's in the NFL would do backflips if they could have Cobb/Nelson/Jones/Finley to throw to. Besides, if there's one position where TT has had consistent success drafting good players, it's WR, and he hasn't even had to use a 1st round pick to do it.

rbaloha1
02-04-2013, 09:08 AM
I think GJ is in decline. I don't think anyone is going to trade for that kind of injury risk, e.g.: No tag and trade

After watching Crabtree is the super bowl I am more impressed with GJ's ability to run wco route trees.

Boy maybe the PACKERS NEED TO TO ACCOMMADATE THE DIVA.

mraynrand
02-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Jordy grew up on a farm. When he is done playing a boy's game for a few million dollars his dad expects him to get right back to work. That shit isn't going to shovel itself.

When shit needed shoveling, God made a Farmer.

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/H/Paul-Harvey-9330697-1-402.jpg

smuggler
02-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Nelson blew it? Really? I suppose he could have waited until the end of 2012, but if he'd had another season like 2011 or below that level, I wonder if he would have made as much from GB or in open FA....

Also, Jennings is gone. How can you blame him? Some idiot team is going to pay him 4 years 45 million. I pray it won't be us.

rbaloha1
02-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Nelson blew it? Really? I suppose he could have waited until the end of 2012, but if he'd had another season like 2011 or below that level, I wonder if he would have made as much from GB or in open FA....

Also, Jennings is gone. How can you blame him? Some idiot team is going to pay him 4 years 45 million. I pray it won't be us.

Blew it by giving a home team discount.