PDA

View Full Version : Cable/Satellite TV vs Streaming Options on the Cheap

SnakeLH2006
02-03-2013, 02:49 AM
So..after many years of paying Charter Cable $107-$137 monthly for the right to have dual HD-DVR's and not even premium channels such as HBO, Cinemax, etc....I decided the other day to rid myself of the HUGE bill monthly and go with 49.99 monthly (no tax) for just high speed Internet.

I have had an Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii U since Day 1....and got Netflix for 7.99 monthly and will use my Bing Rewards for $6.25 a month (free) for Hulu Plus...check it out if you don't know what I'm talking about..as you do 30 searches for about 1 min. daily for free points for about $10 monthly for free.

What do you peeps do? Snake is rarely at home (maybe 2-3 days a week)...so cutting the cord to Charter's cable TV was fine with me. The only thing I watched was Discovery Channel and Food Network rarely.

I really liked having everything such as TV/movies DVR'd if I got to see it, but honestly I'm rarely home and was sick of post-promo bills ballooning to $130+ for something I NEVER watched. My girl has had Netflix for years...it's pretty deece and only $7.99 and see I can get Hulu Plus for only $6.25 and for free with Bing Rewards which gives you free money...just check that out..It's pretty sweet as I don't watch much TV and can save cash for other things and still see the same shows/movies for $57.98 monthly.

The downside is only that I can't watch the Brewers or Bucks on cable anymore, but honestly Snake went to far more Brewers and Bucks games in person, than I watched on cable in the past 2 years....so it's moot.

What do y'all do?

P.S. I only kept cable cuz I loved DVR'ing the football games so I could watch with my girl no matter the time...but Packer football is over...so time to save some money. Amazon Prime goes for $79.99 yearly...free 2 day ship on anything and Instant stream to their TV/movies...but it's lackluster. So I'm doing Netflix and prob Hulu Plus in the future as I get it free after 2 weeks of searching on Bing Rewards...so easy....I use my cell to search daily...takes a min.

mraynrand
02-03-2013, 03:19 PM
I've cancelled DirecTV, and next month I'm stopping the internet in our house. All information after that will be be via carrier pigeon.