PDA

View Full Version : Roger Goodell's Future?

Kiwon
02-04-2013, 03:06 AM
Not that many months ago, Roger Goodell was the baddest of bad asses.

With 'BountyGate', he just didn't drop the hammer, he dropped the sledge hammer. He was the Commissioner and he was out to clean up the game in a very public way.

But with the setbacks after 'BountyGate' was thoroughly investigated and his decisions questioned, along with the mushrooming 'Concussion' class action lawsuit, controversial rule changes that are reshaping the game, and now the re-focus on PEDs, I wonder if Goodell's job is completely safe.

The guy's connected, no doubt. He comes from the "right" family and keeps the "right" set of friends. He's got plenty of juice with the owners and others in NYC and the dollars are rolling in for the league.

But, despite all that, it seems to me that he had gone a long way towards alienating himself from the players and the fans. He’s damaged goods right now and I think he's got a long uphill climb to win many of them back.

Most people will say that they want reform and want things to be cleaned up, but they really don't once reality sets in. Leaders who sincerely try to change a business/organization's culture and "set things right" are easily demonized for their efforts and usually make some enemies out of former friends.

Goodell has done some things very well ($$$$$), but he's stumbled badly enough to the point where I think he's left himself vulnerable. His lying low in New Orleans during the lead up to the Super Bowl, the biggest of the big stage related to his office, indicates his weakened public position. He was avoiding the New Orleans fans and their protests and the questions from the media, who is as eager to make news as report it.

(**** Caution, FYI thread-type comment. Sensitive reader's discretion advised) Given the climate of the day, the results of the last presidential election and the fact that the majority of NFL players are African-American, I wouldn't be surprised to see a movement to replace Goodell with a "minority."

Commissioner of the NFL is a high-profile, plum job and no doubt, among the true believers, having a "minority" in that position would push all the important "diversity", "inclusiveness" and "progressive" buttons, would signal a true break from the past, win back some disaffected fans, make a whole lot of new fans, and build new bridges to the stars of the show, the players. I don’t look at the world through this type of prism but I know that there are plenty of people who do.

So……that being said, just how sound do you think Goodell is in his job?

Joemailman
02-04-2013, 07:05 AM
I think he's pretty sound. He works for the owners, not the Players Union. I have no idea what TV ratings for games were like this year, but as long as TV ratings and attendance don't drop, I suspect he's safe. He's negotiated a decade of labor peace, and that's probably enough to overcome the embarrassment of bountygate. He does need to avoid instances like that in the future though.

Patler
02-04-2013, 07:22 AM
It doesn't matter if the players and fans dislike or even detest him; if he continues to satisfy the owners' financial objectives, he is safe. With a long term CBA in place, one that has resulted in the salary cap staying more or less level for several years, I suspect the owners are satisfied with him.

pbmax
02-04-2013, 08:40 AM
If fan and player sentiment were enough to get a League commissioner changed, none of the Leagues would have their current commissioner anymore.

Goodell stepped in it in a big way during bountygate. He had a case, but not the one he thought he had, and he blew it by overplaying it. But that's not going to cost him his job.

He could be in trouble in 10 years should he not learn how to finesse the levers of power, when players will be willing to trade financial concessions to trim his authority. I could see a scenario where the players deliberately put Goodell between themselves and a CBA being done the way the owner's want it done.

The owner's continue to do their level best to skirt Rooney Rule requirements in hiring despite numerous self-evident examples that hiring "the guy he wanted" approach has been failing them miserably. Even should they be forced to find a replacement, no amount of pressure will put a minority candidate in that job unless they think he will do what they want successfully.

That being said, the League Office itself just put a middle tier Head Ref on the field for a Super Bowl. So stupidity is possible at any time. So its possible the group of owners could convince themselves that a minority candidate will possess secret powers to help them achieve their ends. I am sure that would end well. But the only way it will happen is if the Owner's think someone else will generate more revenue.

rbaloha1
02-04-2013, 09:03 AM
From an owner's perspective RG is doing a good job of growing revenue to offset higher costs.

RG continues.

Patler
02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
He could be in trouble in 10 years should he not learn how to finesse the levers of power, when players will be willing to trade financial concessions to trim his authority. I could see a scenario where the players deliberately put Goodell between themselves and a CBA being done the way the owner's want it done.

If the players do play that card, which wouldn't surprise me at all, Goodell will simply retire. He will be in his early '60s and will simply declare that since he would be retiring soon anyway (whether he really would have or not), it makes more sense to bring in the new commissioner to negotiate the CBA that he will have to work under. It will never be allowed to appear that the players demanded his ouster, even if they did.

pbmax
02-04-2013, 09:09 AM
If the players do play that card, which wouldn't surprise me at all, Goodell will simply retire. He will be in his early '60s and will simply declare that since he would be retiring soon anyway (whether he really would have or not), it makes more sense to bring in the new commissioner to negotiate the CBA that he will have to work under. It will never be allowed to appear that the players demanded his ouster, even if they did.

His ouster might please some players (though in ten years, how many will be left?) but it would still be attractive to the NFLPA to get Player Conduct appeals into neutral hands.

Patler
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
His ouster might please some players (though in ten years, how many will be left?) but it would still be attractive to the NFLPA to get Player Conduct appeals into neutral hands.

You mean an independent arbiter, like MLB? :-D :-D

(You know, an "independent" shill who works without criticism for 20 years, and then is fired after the one and only time that he decides in a player's favor!)

rbaloha1
02-04-2013, 09:18 AM

The greedy players gave up too much power in resolving disputes.

The slave owners shall continue to control the means of production.

smuggler
02-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Player approval with Goodell being almost 50% is actually pretty awesome considering he's their boss.

mraynrand
02-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Can the NFL sign Goodell to a new contract and then trade him to the NBA for some top executives?

pbmax
02-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Can the NFL sign Goodell to a new contract and then trade him to the NBA for some top executives?

I couldn't believe people arguing about the Flacco OOB hit not being "egregious" enough to be called. Its like people are asking for NBA and MLB referring to take over the world.

Remember when the NFL guys used to be the best? Nowadays, soccer makes more sense, that is, until I read there was a huge match fixing investigation covering some 80 events currently underway around the world. The refs are involved as are players and team personnel. I also found out there is something called Europol.

mraynrand
02-04-2013, 08:46 PM
I couldn't believe people arguing about the Flacco OOB hit not being "egregious" enough to be called. Its like people are asking for NBA and MLB referring to take over the world.

was it Flagrant 1, 2 or 3?

Kiwon
02-04-2013, 08:50 PM
was it Flagrant 1, 2 or 3?

It was just a two. His foot was on the line.

Freak Out
02-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Has Josh Sitton weighed in yet?

mraynrand
02-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Has Josh Sitton weighed in yet?

He is probably 4 pounds less than the average Raven lineman.

rbaloha1
02-04-2013, 10:36 PM
He is probably 4 pounds less than the average Raven lineman.

Not with his sam adams and old super bowl ring