PDA

View Full Version : Time to get rid of the "big" SB Halftime Show

Cheesehead Craig
02-04-2013, 10:24 AM
I pretty much care less about the halftime show in its present form. Although this year they at least went away from the over-the-hill-past-their-prime performers formula.

The performances are usually very disappointing and last night really wan't much different.

Yeah, Beyonce is gorgeous, but her performance wasn't anything much different than what the Pussycat Dolls could have done. There wasn't anything that was "wow" about it other than how she looks. I get that was the whole reason she was there but if they are going to go with a TnA session, just have a Victoria Secrets show on at that time.

Just go old school and go back to marching bands so that the halftime can go back to its regular length and quit dragging this thing out.

rbaloha1
02-04-2013, 10:33 AM
FUDDY DUDDY

Guiness
02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
I pretty much care less about the halftime show in its present form. Although this year they at least went away from the over-the-hill-past-their-prime performers formula.

The performances are usually very disappointing and last night really wan't much different.

Yeah, Beyonce is gorgeous, but her performance wasn't anything much different than what the Pussycat Dolls could have done. There wasn't anything that was "wow" about it other than how she looks. I get that was the whole reason she was there but if they are going to go with a TnA session, just have a Victoria Secrets show on at that time.

Just go old school and go back to marching bands so that the halftime can go back to its regular length and quit dragging this thing out.

Wow, that summed up my feeling better than I could have. I thought the best part of her show was when she walked down the runway in those boots at the very start. I couldn't help but think she was working on her 'silly walk' before going to John Cleese to see if she could get a grant ;)

Seemed like she is still smarting from lip synching at the presidential inauguration and didn't want to do that again...so she just decided not to sing at all. There was a lot more dancing than singing.

I know a lot of people don't like the old foggies, but I thought Prince did a good job. I would get a kick out of some marching bands as well.

Joemailman
02-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Now this was entertainment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4mTTigqTSA

red
02-04-2013, 11:46 AM
i didn't know any of the songs, and i had no clue who the other two chicks were that joined her on stage at the end, i had to look it up

i was happy it was over when she was done, for the last ten minutes i kept thinking to myself " it has to be almost over"

i would like to know if they were "pumping in" all the screaming and cheering for her, cause i can't see all the people that paid to watch a football game scream louder for her then they did for any part of the game

King Friday
02-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Actually, I'm fine with the big halftime performance...with one caveat.

It should be done OFFSITE. Maybe just outside the stadium if it is nice weather.

Forget moving 50 tons of crap all over the place for 10 minutes before and after the performance. Use the extra time from not having to lug stuff all over the place to expand the performance and offer multiple performers that will appeal to a greater audience.

I'm guessing half the people at the game don't even bother watching the show. The show is produced more for the television audience anyway. You could double the length of the actual "show" and actually reduce the length of the halftime if it occured off-site. The show could be even more over-the-top if done from a location that could be prepped for days rather than minutes. And you wouldn't have half the stadium go dark when someone flips the wrong switch by mistake.

mraynrand
02-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Up with People was a Dynasty until unrestricted free agency hit the entertainment industry.

pbmax
02-04-2013, 07:30 PM
There is only one way to make everyone happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOOs-MqDOI0

mraynrand
02-04-2013, 07:33 PM

so you are saying people are happy when they are asleep?

TravisWilliams23
02-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Whatever happened to bands performing at half-time? High school and college games have had bands perform since I can remember. The pros used to do that but I don't know when the NFL decided to "entertain" us viewers with what we now see. Why not have the winner of the Invitational Showcase perform for the country at half-time or what ever college is chosen? The way it is now, Half-time allows me to visit the toilet, reload on drinks and food and position myself in a recliner for the 2nd half. If there's some sort of wardrobe malfunction that shows a boob I can always find that replay on the internet at my convenience!

pbmax
02-04-2013, 08:10 PM
so you are saying people are happy when they are asleep?

That would work in its favor, yes. Maybe an All-Canada show. Anne Murray, Gordon, then to wake up the grandpas, Aldo Nova, Triumph, Brian Adams and Rush.

Guiness
02-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Wow King Friday - that's a pretty cool thinking way outside the box idea! And you're dead right that the show is more for the tv audience than those in the stadium. Red's Q is a good one, did they pipe in cheers? The amount of Ravens gear told me this was a football crowd as opposed to an 'event' crow and seemed a lot more enthused about Beyonce than I thought they'd be.

pbmax - great lineup idea! Didn't know you loved us all so much :rock:

Joemailman
02-04-2013, 10:57 PM
That would work in its favor, yes. Maybe an All-Canada show. Anne Murray, Gordon, then to wake up the grandpas, Aldo Nova, Triumph, Brian Adams and Rush.

No love for Neil Young?

Guiness
02-04-2013, 11:19 PM
No love for Neil Young?

Mostly I'm happy he didn't mention the more recent invasion from North of the border, by Nickelback and Bieber.

pbmax
02-05-2013, 08:15 AM
No love for Neil Young?

A sleepy audience is one thing. A weepy audience is another.

pbmax
02-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Mostly I'm happy he didn't mention the more recent invasion from North of the border, by Nickelback and Bieber.

Just so you know, no matter which of those two opens for them, I would go to the Rush Super Bowl.

rbaloha1
02-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Racist thread.

If Brittany or Cristina types were doing the halftime show this thread does not exist.

mmmdk
02-05-2013, 08:21 AM
No love for Neil Young?

Much love!

mmmdk
02-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Why not replace the halftime show with 36 minutes of "lights out"?

pbmax
02-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Racist thread.

If Brittany or Cristina types were doing the halftime show this thread does not exist.

Completely untrue. During Madonna's halftime show I wished I was offsite.

Upnorth
02-05-2013, 08:49 AM

I thought the same thing. Now let us never talk of them again.

MadScientist
02-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Looks like next year will be a chance to ditch the half-time crap. Maybe they will make it shorter as well so that people in the stands don't completely freeze.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/05/questions-raised-about-viability-of-halftime-show-in-nynj/

Cheesehead Craig
02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Racist thread.

Not sure where the hell that came from. Apparently it's just your bit here to try stir up people with stupid comments. Whatever gets you off I guess.

rbaloha1
02-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Not sure where the hell that came from. Apparently it's just your bit here to try stir up people with stupid comments. Whatever gets you off I guess.

It is obvious.

George Cumby
02-05-2013, 09:47 AM

That is so Godawfully cringe-inducing it is painful to watch.

Cheesehead Craig
02-05-2013, 09:55 AM
It is obvious.

Glad you admit it and agree with me.

rbaloha1
02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Glad you admit it and agree with me.

yea i agree about your racism.

George Cumby
02-05-2013, 11:19 AM

Really?

It's not about the 'artist', it's about the generally lame spectacle.

Cheesehead Craig
02-05-2013, 11:42 AM

Oh no! You called me a racist again! Whatever will I do? LOL

Keep barking little doggie.

swede
02-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Beyonce is one of the most singularly beautiful and talented women on the planet; does that make me racist? Obviously it does.

Brittany is trailer park material with money; does that make me seem mean. Yes.

That being said, at halftime my attentions are pretty much on taking a leak, grabbing a sandwich, and humming through the DVR to see if I missed any good commercials. I like King Friday's idea very, very much. I hate to see the show mess up the football.

woodbuck27
02-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Ligthtfoot = Terrific (absolutely so in his prime). Him and Brian Adams would do just fine.

Please...put a hold on Anne Murray and Triumph and one RUSH piece would take up most of the time alloted.

Ohh Aldo Nova ! An interesting nostalgic choice but:

Are you having a 'Fantasy', or maybe 'Foolin' Yourself.'

WARNING ! If you went with Aldo Nova you might end up with a 'Monkey on Your Back'.

mraynrand
02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
...one RUSH piece would take up most of the time alloted.

yes, but it would be...AWESOME!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0tSGdNrq1Po/TfHEsLfcHqI/AAAAAAAAAJo/EDBzuhsDlSE/s1600/2112_large-01.jpg

woodbuck27
02-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Take away her sex appeal and what did you see? Too much Beyonce?

Often ...... I was wondering where 'the real Beyonce' was, and thought that show was a good impression of 'a real house of mirrors'.

HowardRoark
02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Can we re-visit that Victoria's Secret idea?

pbmax
02-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Can we re-visit that Victoria's Secret idea?

Going to need a delay on that show. Kate Upton could fall out of her outfit at any moment and threaten America's youth with exposed flesh.

I would also hope there would be an online option with no delay at all.

rbaloha1
02-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Oh no! You called me a racist again! Whatever will I do? LOL

Keep barking little doggie.

woof woof

KYPack
02-05-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm glad CC started this thread.

I would have said something on this earlier, but I didn't want MTP starting that "old guy" bullshit with me again.

Dug the show, I was able to really get in touch with my inner perve with that stuff.

It was too goddamned long, they need to hit everybody with hot entertainment in some form, but get the derned show on the road.

Clapton or Brian Adams would be great with me.

MJZiggy
02-05-2013, 10:04 PM

I saw him in concert a couple of years ago. He's not dead. At least he wasn't then...

MJZiggy
02-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Racist thread.

If they sucked it sure as hell would. Unless the praise that Prince got in this thread was because of his great wardrobe? It was because he did a good job. Beyonce did not. Alicia did a good job. Beyonce stomped around on stage and posed instead of focusing on what really is a very good voice. She could have done a great job but instead chose to try to look sexy instead of sing.

Freak Out
02-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Rush would be great for us old rock guys...Clapton would kick ass. Let Clapton setup a halftime show like his Crossroads concerts...a bunch of kick-ass guitarists jamming for 20 minutes would do.

HowardRoark
02-06-2013, 12:08 AM

Is that Franco Harris playing the bass? I'm watching on phone, but it seems as though that woman doing the twist has too large of an ass to be doing that in public, much less on national television.

Beyonce has a larger ass too, but it seems to work well for her.

Fritz
02-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Beyonce is was hotter than up with people. Good god, they sucked. And I heard a report on NPR that despite their professed conservative values, many of them were gay. That Culliver in SF would be bothered and distracted by such a halftime show.

But then again Beyonce bothered and distracted me. Wow, did she ever.

It's weird, though, how this supposed All-American, family event features strip-club routines.

I say the NFL should just own up and bring in Holly Halston and Krystal Sommers next year for the halftime show.

pbmax
02-06-2013, 08:15 AM
They have to get Iron Butterfly back together before they are all gone. One song, if they trim it a little, they can get it down to 10 minutes.

pbmax
02-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Beyonce is was hotter than up with people. Good god, they sucked. And I heard a report on NPR that despite their professed conservative values, many of them were gay. That Culliver in SF would be bothered and distracted by such a halftime show.

But then again Beyonce bothered and distracted me. Wow, did she ever.

It's weird, though, how this supposed All-American, family event features strip-club routines.

I say the NFL should just own up and bring in Holly Halston and Krystal Sommers next year for the halftime show.

I am compelled to state for the record I have no idea who they are.

HowardRoark
02-06-2013, 09:46 AM
And I heard a report on NPR that despite their professed conservative values, many of them were gay. .

That video looks like a casting call for the Village People.

Guiness
02-06-2013, 11:08 AM

You think they might've been? Here's an excerpt from an interview with a former member.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/up-with-people-ushered-in-todays-super-bowl-halftime-show-189553341.html

Also -- surprise! -- the male cast members were disproportionately gay. "What kind of guy wants to prance around in a bodysuit on a stage?" says Eric Roos, a former Uppie who runs a cosmetics company in San Francisco called Nancy Boy Products. "It was a huge percentage of gay guys with the supposition that no one was gay."

Looking at the history of halftime shows there were some odd themes and acts. Disney ran three of them? 1983 was called KaleidoSUPERscope? 89 featured a new fangled computer generated 3-D Diet Coke commercial (complete with glasses) and a former Solid Gold dancer doing an Elvis impersonation! I watched that game...I have NO recollection of any of that :?

Patler
02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
I only remember a small portion of just one halftime show. It featured a rather unfortunate wardrobe malfunction. I found myself re-watching that one. Not so with any of the others.

mraynrand
02-06-2013, 12:55 PM
We always play football at halftime. I remember I was recording Superbowl XXXI, played football, watched the second half, and days later as I'm re-watching the tape the halftime show comes up and I'm thinking "What the fuck is this shit?" I think it was James Brown or something godawful like that. I think they should just roll out some monster trucks or do some sort of evel knievel jump at that half. Maybe light the jumper on fire for extra drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGGCVE2lKY

Patler
02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
How the heck that guy didn't kill or paralyze himself is beyond me.

HowardRoark
02-06-2013, 01:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI5RRrb39EA

mraynrand
02-06-2013, 01:12 PM
What about jumping the shark!

HowardRoark
02-06-2013, 01:12 PM
We always play football at halftime. I remember I was recording Superbowl XXXI, played football, watched the second half, and days later as I'm re-watching the tape the halftime show comes up and I'm thinking "What the fuck is this shit?" I think it was James Brown or something godawful like that. I think they should just roll out some monster trucks or do some sort of evel knievel jump at that half. Maybe light the jumper on fire for extra drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGGCVE2lKY

Kids can't bring cupcakes to school anymore, you really think motorcycle jumnping hasn't been banned too?

mraynrand
02-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Kids can't bring cupcakes to school anymore, you really think motorcycle jumnping hasn't been banned too?

that's too bad, because I used to jump my motorcycle over parked cars at high school all the time. When did they outlaw all that fun?

Freak Out
02-06-2013, 04:56 PM
This is what I rode to school on occasion....and took flight on more than a few times. :)

http://s1.yzimg.com/000e5ffqf5ckpr8c.640x480

woodbuck27
02-06-2013, 08:21 PM

Cool response and also ........... smart.

woodbuck27
02-06-2013, 08:22 PM
This is what I rode to school on occasion....and took flight on more than a few times. :)

Jaysuasssss...you musta been 'a Wild Child'.......a really Wild Child.

woodbuck27
02-06-2013, 08:26 PM
I saw him in concert a couple of years ago. He's not dead. At least he wasn't then...

If.... you didn't demand a refund he probably wasn't dead.

woodbuck27
02-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Rush would be great for us old rock guys...Clapton would kick ass. Let Clapton setup a halftime show like his Crossroads concerts...a bunch of kick-ass guitarists jamming for 20 minutes would do.

Clapton = the blues now.

Fritz
02-07-2013, 01:32 PM

They are ladies with big boobies and good oral skills.

mraynrand
02-07-2013, 02:56 PM

Nothing says cool like a dude on a motorcycle without his shirt on:

http://omgg.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/FAT_GUY_MOTORCYCLE.jpg

mraynrand
02-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Jaysuasssss...you musta been 'a Wild Child'.......a really Wild Child.

Wild child, full of grace,
Savior of the human race...

Zool
02-07-2013, 03:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9VTYHQ2.jpg

pbmax
02-07-2013, 03:11 PM
That is the national uniform of which country?

pbmax
02-07-2013, 03:12 PM

You are supposed to lean down over that bike's tank to be more aerodynamic. That guy is going to eat a lot of bugs.

red
02-07-2013, 06:22 PM
i got one

we take the top two terrorists "people who don't like the USA" and make them face off in the middle of the field until one kills the other.

at that point, a sniper, up on top of the stadium, takes out the winner

crowd goes nuts, everyone is happy

and we are all "entertained"

mraynrand
02-07-2013, 10:40 PM
i got one

we take the top two terrorists "people who don't like the USA" and make them face off in the middle of the field until one kills the other.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/27187994.jpg

Fritz
02-08-2013, 07:33 AM
i got one

And, like the Roman Empire, down the road we go.

George Cumby
02-08-2013, 08:24 AM

“...to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.”

swede
02-08-2013, 01:14 PM
“...to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.”

THAR SHE [this thread] BLOWS!

mraynrand
02-08-2013, 01:29 PM
THAR SHE [this thread] BLOWS!

are you not entertained?

Pugger
02-09-2013, 10:05 AM

Good God, you just ruined my appetite. :-P

woodbuck27
02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
i got one

GOD Bless America.