PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Famers on Super Bowl Teams

Smidgeon
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I wanted to do some research looking at how many players on Super Bowl winning teams end up in the Hall of Fame, but it ended up being uninteresting statistics. There were a few that stuck out though.

For example, of all the HoFers, about 70% of them were either on a championship team or a losing team that appeared in the Super Bowl. And that every championship winning team had at least one HoFer on it, up until the 2001 Patriots...but Brady's still playing.

But the one that I was really interested in seeing was how many HoFers did a Super Bowl winning team have? So I counted the HoFers on each Super Bowl team up until 1995 (choosing that year since Favre will be a 1st ballot, and he still isn't eligible for the HoF). Turns out, there are an average of 6 HoFers per team. If I bring the minimum year up until after the Steelers dynasty, the number drops to about 4.5 per team (the Steelers and Packers are the only teams to have over 10 on their championship teams). Obviously there are exceptions as the Packers '96 team will only have 2 in the end and the 2001 Patriots may only have Brady.

But that then makes me curious about two questions:

1) If the '96 Packers got their 4-6 HoF players, besides White and Favre, who would they be?
2) Who on the Packers '10 team will end up in the Hall? If they also got 4-6, who would they be?

I know those are empty statistics since past averages don't guarantee future correlation, but I think it's interesting anyway.

MadScientist
02-05-2013, 05:00 PM
1) If forced to add a couple, I'd go with LeRoy Butler and maybe Kieth Jackson.

2) Rodgers and Mathews are on that path if they stay healthy. Woodson is a pretty good bet. Collins would have been on the path. There's nobody else who really stands out, but maybe Sitton, T-Will or Shields could put together a career that is worthy. Driver falls short IMO, but he's had the best career of anyone else on the 2010 team.

hoosier
02-05-2013, 08:02 PM
1996: White and Favre. Butler is the next closest but he won't make it. Next closest after Leroy, IMO, is Holmgren--but his complete failure as a GM rules that out.

2010: Rodgers and Matthews clearly have the potential to be shoo-ins, assuming they don't get hurt or turn up in a Ryan Braun-esque PED scandal. Woodson might not be a slam dunk because he had some wasted years with Oakland, but if you look at his longevity and his dominance from 2006-11 I think a good case can be made for him. The question is, will those six years be enough? After those three I don't see any players who come close. Jennings seems to be in decline at a relatively early age. Finley will never reach his potential. Maybe if McCarthy goes on to have a stellar coaching career, he just might be the fourth--but it seems unlikely that he could reach Chuck Noll/Tom Landry/Don Shula heights.

smuggler
02-07-2013, 04:35 PM
He had two ore three good years in Oakland as well. He was the #1 ranked CB in his rookie season, if memory serves.

Pugger
02-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Holmgren as a coach could make it in there. I don't know if his failure as a GM will hurt his chances or not. If TT can assemble another SB winning team what are his chances?

mraynrand
02-09-2013, 12:35 PM
1996: White and Favre. Butler is the next closest but he won't make it. Next closest after Leroy, IMO, is Holmgren--but his complete failure as a GM rules that out.

2010: Rodgers and Matthews clearly have the potential to be shoo-ins, assuming they don't get hurt or turn up in a Ryan Braun-esque PED scandal. Woodson might not be a slam dunk because he had some wasted years with Oakland, but if you look at his longevity and his dominance from 2006-11 I think a good case can be made for him. The question is, will those six years be enough? After those three I don't see any players who come close. Jennings seems to be in decline at a relatively early age. Finley will never reach his potential. Maybe if McCarthy goes on to have a stellar coaching career, he just might be the fourth--but it seems unlikely that he could reach Chuck Noll/Tom Landry/Don Shula heights.

If Holmgren had won the SB with Seattle, he would be in the HOF, no question. Now, it's unlikely. Stubby needs another championship and some longevity with consistent high % winning.

hoosier
02-09-2013, 08:37 PM
If Holmgren had won the SB with Seattle, he would be in the HOF, no question. Now, it's unlikely. Stubby needs another championship and some longevity with consistent high % winning.

Holmie in the HOF with a 2-1 SB record? I don't know....The more I think about it, the more it seems the 1997-98 loss to Denver would come back to haunt any HOF consideration for him: the team's lack of preparation is ultimately on him and his admitted brain fart on Denver's game winning drive created the image of a guy who had mentally checked out of the hotel a full year before he actually left town. He's certainly a well regarded coach, but is he better than Shanahan or Seifert? On what basis is he on a par with the modern era coaches who've been inducted: Levy, Noll, Landry, Walsh, Shula, Madden?

mraynrand
02-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Holmie in the HOF with a 2-1 SB record? I don't know....The more I think about it, the more it seems the 1997-98 loss to Denver would come back to haunt any HOF consideration for him: the team's lack of preparation is ultimately on him and his admitted brain fart on Denver's game winning drive created the image of a guy who had mentally checked out of the hotel a full year before he actually left town. He's certainly a well regarded coach, but is he better than Shanahan or Seifert? On what basis is he on a par with the modern era coaches who've been inducted: Levy, Noll, Landry, Walsh, Shula, Madden?

He would have been the only guy to win a superbowl title with two different franchises - that's why he would be a shoo-in with that win. Without it: His longevity as a HC isn't quite as long as some of the others, but Madden? Seriously? Holmgren compares somewhat favorably with Madden. Madden has 5 AFC championship losses (to Levy's four SB losses), and one superbowl win. Holmgren lost two superbowls, one to a better team - the Broncos, and one to a lesser team - the Steelers; plus he lost one NFC championship, the Divisional round twice, and I think three wild card losses. I don't know the exact number, but I think he had 10 divisional championships overall. Not bad for a short career. Actually, the short career might be a problem, but it didn't hurt Madden. Maybe holmy needs to do some Miller Lite commercials, announce some games (Boom!) and sell some video games!

I think Holmgren is vastly better than Siefert and probably a little better than Milhouse/Shanny