PDA

View Full Version : SI NFL DRAFT BIG BOARD...DRAFT IS COMING...YO RATS.....WHO DO YOU LIKE

Bretsky
02-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Bretsky needs to find the elite chose one from this year's draft......aka Odell Thurman....AJ Hawk..Michael Crabtree....Brooks Reed. The history is long; but bust ratios just might be a bit higher than the norm :))

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130206/2013-nfl-big-board-2/?sct=uk_t11_a0

The NFL's annual pre-draft dog-and-pony show kicked off in earnest in the days before Super Bowl XLVII, with the Senior Bowl highlighting a full slate of prospects.

We still will not get a glimpse at a lot of the draft's elite talent -- Luke Joeckel, Jarvis Jones, Chance Warmack, etc. -- until the Combine and then, for some, at individual team Pro Days. As such, the caveat presented with Big Board 1.0 holds true again here: The Top 40 will undergo several shake-ups between now and April.

There were some impressive (and not-so-impressive) performances during the Senior Bowl, though, that impacted our latest rankings, even though the top few names will look fairly familiar. You can see my rationale for a few key decisions.

And without further delay, Big Board 2.0:

Chris Burke's NFL Draft Big Board
1 Luke Joeckel
Texas A&M, junior
6-6, 310
OT
The gap between Joeckel and Central Michigan's Eric Fisher may have closed in some people's minds, but that says more about Fisher's outstanding Senior Bowl week than anything Joeckel did. Joeckel was up here for Big Board 1.0, and he may remain until the draft.

2 Chance Warmack
Alabama, senior
6-2, 322
OG
Warmack passed on a Senior Bowl invite, a smart decision since, quite frankly, there's little he could have done to help his cause further in Mobile. This will be an intriguing case come draft day -- teams don't often take guards early.

3 Jarvis Jones
Georgia, junior
6-2, 242
LB
This is me taking a bit of a mulligan. I had Jones four spots lower in Big Board 1.0 because of lingering medical concerns (spinal stenosis). Here's the thing, though: Jones explodes off game tapes. His upside outweighs the risk.

4 Damontre Moore
Texas A&M, junior
6-4, 250
DE
Not to oversimplify the issues, but for a team running a 3-4, I think Jones is a touch better fit; and in a 4-3, I'd give Moore an edge. Either way, you can't go wrong, and both Jones and Moore could be stars from Day One.

5 Eric Fisher
Central Michigan, senior
6-7, 305
OT

Fisher's one-spot drop is 100-percent related to Jones' bump, and not at all indicative of Fisher fading. In fact, it's just the opposite. During the NFL Network's Senior Bowl broadcast, Mike Mayock said Fisher was "by far" the best player that week.

6 Dee Milliner
Alabama, junior
6-1, 198
CB
If there's a knock on Milliner, it is that he needs to improve his man-to-man cover skills -- in a zone, he can be lights out. That's fine (and accurate), but he still strikes me as a potentially elite NFL corner.

7 Star Lotulelei
Utah, senior
6-3, 320
DT
The more film I've watched of Loutlelei, the more noticeable it has become just how much attention he garnered from opposing O-lines. If he eats up multiple blockers in the NFL, he'll be invaluable; if teams try to go one-on-one, he could dominate.

8 Bjoern Werner
Florida State, junior
6-4, 256
DE
As mentioned in Big Board 1.0, there does not appear to be a future for Werner as a 3-4 OLB (he's a 4-3 DE), so his value takes a little hit. My guess is that whichever team winds up taking him, however, quickly will come to love him.

9 Barkevious Mingo
LSU, junior
6-4, 240
DE
Mingo presents the type of case that can be tricky this time of year. There is some chatter that his lack of production has teams concerned. But is that concern real or a red herring? Mingo's athletic abilities will find him a home early.

10 Ezekiel Ansah
BYU, senior
6-5, 270
DE
And while we're on the topic of draft conundrums ... Ansah struggled through Senior Bowl week practice, then dominated the game. The former is troubling; the latter speaks to his tantalizing ceiling.

11 Keenan Allen
California, junior
6-3, 210
WR
Because Allen probably will not blow anyone away with his Combine 40 time, he may wind up sliding at the draft. And then within a year or two, fans will be upset that their team didn't take the productive wideout.

12 Jonathan Cooper
North Carolina, senior
6-3, 310
OG
Like with Joeckel and Fisher, the gap between Warmack and Cooper may not be all that vast. Where Warmack goes will set the stage for Cooper's draft prospects, but the North Carolina product should be a first-rounder.

13 Cordarrelle Patterson
Tennessee, junior
6-3, 205
WR
I'm hedging a bit on Patterson until we get to the Combine. His highlight reel from 2012 is thrilling, especially on plays in which he found himself in space. He's raw, though, so the progress he makes during pre-draft season will be key.

14 Alec Ogletree
Georgia, junior
6-3, 234
LB
I have a feeling Ogletree will be in the top 10 here by the end of the month. There is very little not to like in his game tape, and he figures to knock it out of the park at the upcoming Combine.

15 Sheldon Richardson
Missouri, junior
6-3, 295
DT
Richardson holds firm in this range. Truthfully, there might not be a ton of room to move up in a loaded class for interior linemen -- and there are a number of players on his heels, like Florida's Sharrif Floyd.

16 Dion Jordan
Oregon, senior
6-6, 243
DE
Jordan suffered an injured shoulder at the end of the season and had to skip the Senior Bowl because of the resulting surgery. That's too bad, because he would have had a real chance to solidify himself as a top-15 pick with a good showing.

17 Kenny Vaccaro
Texas, senior
6-1, 218
S
Vaccaro's late decision to bail on the Senior Bowl should have hurt him, especially as Jonathan Cyprien and Phillip Thomas (especially Cyprien) put up big weeks. Thomas, though, remains the clear top safety in this class -- and the excitement around others at his position proves how in demand he'll be.

18 Alex Okafor
Texas, senior
6-4, 261
DE
Hard to find too much fault in what Okafor did during Senior Bowl week -- he held his own against some top linemen, like Fisher, and occasionally grabbed the upper hand. Okafor did not skyrocket his stock upward, but he definitely did not hurt it either.

19 Lane Johnson
Oklahoma, senior
6-6, 302
OT
O the South's first touchdown play of the Senior Bowl, Johnson found himself matched up with SMU's Margus Hunt. By the time QB E.J. Manuel crossed the goal line, Hunt was barely even in the TV picture. Johnson is our biggest riser from 1.0 to 2.0, and he deserves that jump based on a spectacular Senior Bowl week.

20 Geno Smith
West Virginia, senior
6-3, 220
QB
On the one hand, Smith might receive a boost simply from the struggles quarterbacks endured during the Senior Bowl. But, by skipping those festivities, Smith missed a chance to really set himself apart.

Bretsky
02-06-2013, 08:19 PM
21 Sam Montgomery
LSU, junior
6-5, 260
DE
No reason to really move Montgomery yet, be it up or down. He and Mingo fed off each other throughout the 2012 season. Montgomery may be more of a D-line anchor -- he added 30 pounds prior to last season.

22 Shariff Floyd
Florida, junior
6-3, 203
DT
It will be hard for an NFL team to drop Floyd in at DE after he spent 2012 steadily improving after sliding to tackle. In Peter King's Monday Morning QB last week, ex-Chiefs GM Scott Pioli ranked Floyd third among the draft's juniors -- ahead of Werner and Jones, to name a couple.

23 Johnathan Hankins
Ohio State, junior
6-3, 320
DT
Hankins is more of a Lotulelei space-eater type than someone like Floyd, who can slide around the line. Because of that, I leapfrogged Floyd over Hankins for the time being. If Hankins proves he has reliable motor, he could climb.

24 Manti Te'o
Notre Dame, senior
6-2, 255
LB
When all is said and done, my hunch is that Te'o will wind up hearing his name called right around the mid-20s. But on the heels of his well-publicized catfishing debacle, he could tumble if he flops at the Combine.

25 Datone Jones
UCLA, senior
6-4, 280
DE
Why, hello there. Jones is right up with Lane Johnson in terms of players who helped themselves the most during Senior Bowl week -- he finished with a solid game (3 tackles, 0.5 sacks). His ability to get off the ball is consistently noticeable, even when he overruns plays.

26 D.J. Fluker
Alabama, senior
6-4, 355
OT
Fluker is quite the physical specimen at 6-4, 355, with an 87-inch wingspan. He sat out the Senior Bowl, however, with nagging groin and calf injuries, which will be enough to pique health concerns. He might be a stretch at left tackle.

27 Larry Warford
Kentucky, senior
6-3, 333
OG
Warford fell just outside the top 40 on Big Board 1.0 -- I was anxious to see if he looked better at Kentucky than he really was, because of the subpar talent around him. Answer: Nope. He's the real deal, as proven by a great Senior Bowl week.

28 Tavon Austin
West Virginia, senior
5-9, 175
WR
Austin's late withdrawal from the Senior Bowl will knock him down a couple pegs on some draft boards. His Combine numbers are likely to bring him back. Athletes like Austin simply do not grow on trees.

29 Zach Ertz
Stanford, junior
6-6, 252
TE
Just count the number of pass-rushing ends and OLBs on the Big Board, and you'll find therein the added importance of versatile tight ends. Ertz can pressure linebacking corps and safeties with his receiving abilities, but he's also capable of adding blocking protection against athletic edge defenders.

30 Xavier Rhodes
Florida State, junior
6-1, 217
CB
Until someone proves otherwise (and Johnthan Banks, for one, may do so), Rhodes sticks as the second-best corner in this draft, behind Milliner. The majority of teams could use another physical, aggressive cornerback like Rhodes.

31 Khaseem Greene
Rutgers, senior
6-0, 236
LB
It would have been nice to see Greene back a strong week of Senior Bowl practices with a standout game, but he had just one tackle. Still, Greene's background as a former safety makes him a nose-to-the-football player, and he looks the part of an NFL contributor.

32 Kevin Minter
LSU, junior
6-1, 245
LB
How much less did we hear about Minter during the college football season than about Te'o? And yet, it's entirely plausible that Minter becomes a better rookie and more impactful pro. He's a solid, reliable defender.

33 Johnthan Banks
Mississippi State, senior
6-1, 185
CB
The Super Bowl simply reiterated how few top-notch cornerbacks there are in the NFL right now. Offenses are winning the battle. A player like Banks, however, could help a team swing the pendulum. He certainly won't back down from receivers.

34 Matt Elam
Florida, junior
5-10, 202
S
If you've been paying attention, you've likely heard a lot about safety Jonathan Cyprien out of Senior Bowl week. For now, give an edge to Elam at that position because he has more experience against upper-echelon competition.

35 Barrett Jones
Alabama, senior
6-4, 305
C
Jones received an invite to the Senior Bowl, but instead opted to spend some time getting healthy before the Combine -- he said he played through a Lisfranc injury in the BCS title game. That health will be key for Jones in the coming weeks.

36 DeAndre Hopkins
Clemson, junior
6-1, 200
WR
Unless Hopkins bombs at the Combine or suffers some sort of injury, he will be of great interest both to those playoff teams in need of another weapon late in Round 1 and rebuilding squads shy of playmakers at the top of Round 2.

37 Matt Barkley
USC, senior
6-2, 230
QB
There was a little confusion last week as to whether or not Barkley would throw at the Combine -- USC's Twitter account said no, Barkley said maybe. If he does, the door is open for Barkley to really rise on draft day.

38 Eddie Lacy
Alabama, junior
6-1, 220
RB
Lacy and Giovani Bernard are neck and neck for the top RB spot here, though Round 1 may go by without a player from that position coming off the board. Lacy still has a slight edge here, because he's better built for the NFL grind.

39 Quinton Patton
Louisiana Tech, senior
6-0, 202
WR
Texas A&M fans are well aware of Patton's abilities -- he went for 233 yards and four TDs in a shootout loss to the Aggies back in October. Patton excelled all week at the Senior Bowl, too. The one negative: He measured at 6-0, two inches shy of where Louisiana Tech listed him.

40 Kyle Long
Oregon, senior
6-6, 304
OT
One play of Long's stood out, in particular, at the Senior Bowl. On a run wide left by Robbie Rouse, Long managed to pull way outside the hash marks to chop CB B.W. Webb and create a lane. The athletic Long missed full practices because he was sick, so the game was a nice showcase.

RashanGary
02-06-2013, 09:49 PM
I like Alec Ogletree. He has an all around game similar to Patrick Willis. He'd be a huge weapon for us inside, just increasing our speed and coverage ability in base defense. We would be able to play more base defense, the way SF does.

Bretsky
02-06-2013, 10:01 PM
I like Alec Ogletree. He has an all around game similar to Patrick Willis. He'd be a huge weapon for us inside, just increasing our speed and coverage ability in base defense. We would be able to play more base defense, the way SF does.

Gotta agree completely here; but I think he's long long gone before GB picks. I'd love to see it though.

Joemailman
02-06-2013, 10:07 PM
I agree with what the writer said though. I think Ogletree is the kind of guy who could blow up the Combine and get drafted well before the Packers pick. Kevin Minter maybe?

Bretsky
02-06-2013, 10:34 PM
That draft seems stacked with talent on the OL
I'm still intrigued by getting a top notch Center
Let the rest fight it out and I think we'd have a solid line

The Stanford RB Taylor is legit RB talent also....but heck, I've been saying Monte Ball is the best RB in Wisconsin for two years now so GET ER DONE TT

Guiness
02-07-2013, 12:48 AM

The Stanford RB Taylor is legit RB talent also....but heck, I've been saying Monte Ball is the best RB in Wisconsin for two years now so GET ER DONE TT

I guess it could make sense, but I'd hate like hell to spend our 1st round choice on the OL 3 of the last four years!

Interesting to see where the top QB is ranked...#20 on their board, yet I still see mocks with KC taking him first! I wonder if it's as much of a reach as SI is making it out to be.

rbaloha1
02-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Sounds good

rbaloha1
02-07-2013, 08:03 AM

This list sure has a lot of big o-linemen.

Where are the sumo wrestler d-linemen? I guess Jessie Williams of bama is more of round 2-3 type.

3irty1
02-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Jessie Williams reminds me of Justin Harrell as a prospect so I could see him finding his way into the first round after the combine. Only Williams is bigger, faster, stronger, won 2 titles, has a little injury stuff but no deal breakers, can fit anywhere on a 3-4 line, and has unlimited upside. I bet he's higher on Ted's board than most.

rbaloha1
02-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Jessie Williams reminds me of Justin Harrell as a prospect so I could see him finding his way into the first round after the combine. Only Williams is bigger, faster, stronger, won 2 titles, has a little injury stuff but no deal breakers, can fit anywhere on a 3-4 line, and has unlimited upside. I bet he's higher on Ted's board than most.

JW is certainly well known commodity.

The upside is certainly there.

Any other sumo wrestlers available early?

3irty1
02-07-2013, 09:08 AM
John Hankins (320), Ohio St. and John Jenkins(350+), Georgia will probably be first rounders. Both are very versatile and rangy enough to play all over a 3-4 line but Hankins is probably the better pure, 1-gap, pass-rusher and less situational of a player. Jenkins is similar to Ryan Pickett in terms of anchor and athleticism.

rbaloha1
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
John Hankins (320), Ohio St. and John Jenkins(350+), Georgia will probably be first rounders. Both are very versatile and rangy enough to play all over a 3-4 line but Hankins is probably the better pure, 1-gap, pass-rusher and less situational of a player. Jenkins is similar to Ryan Pickett in terms of anchor and athleticism.

Jenkins gets a lot of play.

Is he available at the Packers current slot or is he a trade-up guy?

3irty1
02-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Jenkins gets a lot of play.

Is he available at the Packers current slot or is he a trade-up guy?

I think Jenkins will be around, Hankins is probably less likely as he'll be appealing to every system for every team. Before the combine its hard to say but my early prediction is that there will probably be a run on DT's at the end of the 1st and beginning of the 2nd as there are a lot of guys who teams will have rated about the same. This happened last year when we traded up to get Worthy. So it's not unlikely at this point that either one would be an option. I just have a feeling though that TT will have Jesse Williams rated higher than these two. Seems like his kind of player.

rbaloha1
02-07-2013, 10:26 AM
I think Jenkins will be around, Hankins is probably less likely as he'll be appealing to every system for every team. Before the combine its hard to say but my early prediction is that there will probably be a run on DT's at the end of the 1st and beginning of the 2nd as there are a lot of guys who teams will have rated about the same. This happened last year when we traded up to get Worthy. So it's not unlikely at this point that either one would be an option. I just have a feeling though that TT will have Jesse Williams rated higher than these two. Seems like his kind of player.

It was interesting that TT moved up and settled for Worthy (later articles pointed out they wanted the kid from Temple I believe).

Now the Packers are stuck with an injured shrinking lineman.

A few sumo wrestlers would be nice.

3irty1
02-07-2013, 10:42 AM
It was interesting that TT moved up and settled for Worthy (later articles pointed out they wanted the kid from Temple I believe).

Now the Packers are stuck with an injured shrinking lineman.

A few sumo wrestlers would be nice.

Reyes was very much a Ted type pick. Most athletically gifted 5-tech in the draft last year. Mike Neal type of player.

pbmax
02-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Smart Football ‏@smartfootball
.@igglesblog FWIW, the Ravens this year won a Super Bowl running 4-3 Over and 4-3 Under fronts out of 3-4 personnel. http://youtu.be/cswGi6dEi3o

Its players, matchups and being sound. Not the scheme. I have confidence Thompson will draft the players, although probably not in the order anyone anticipates. I think the coaches can make them sound*. Question is can they stay healthy.

*I have concerns about the D coaches, but its not a tire fire. We have seen each unit spring leaks at different times. The DBs communication issues seemed just to be going away and they lose Collins and Woodson aged poorly last year. The infusion of talent made it see far more sound this year. The D line was sound for 2009 and 2010, so I expect they will be so again with talent and health. Linebackers are more of a mess and hard to sift through.

rbaloha1
02-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Smart Football ‏@smartfootball
.@igglesblog FWIW, the Ravens this year won a Super Bowl running 4-3 Over and 4-3 Under fronts out of 3-4 personnel. http://youtu.be/cswGi6dEi3o

Its players, matchups and being sound. Not the scheme. I have confidence Thompson will draft the players, although probably not in the order anyone anticipates. I think the coaches can make them sound*. Question is can they stay healthy.

*I have concerns about the D coaches, but its not a tire fire. We have seen each unit spring leaks at different times. The DBs communication issues seemed just to be going away and they lose Collins and Woodson aged poorly last year. The infusion of talent made it see far more sound this year. The D line was sound for 2009 and 2010, so I expect they will be so again with talent and health. Linebackers are more of a mess and hard to sift through.

Its harder to be sound with midgets.

Good overall stuff though.

run pMc
02-07-2013, 12:58 PM
who do I like?
I'll cop out: BPA

Draft is about 2 months away, and the mocks will change like crazy. On top of that, TT always picks somebody outta nowhere. I think TT will be actively moving around (trading picks).

Agree with rb that not drafting a DL midget would be helpful.

Would love to see more size & physical players on OL/DL, an athletic a**kicker to pair with Bishop at ILB, a rangy hitter at safety to pair with Burnett, and a WR to push Boykin/Ross for playing time (James Jones is a FA after 2013-14).
Am I asking for too much?

smuggler
02-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I think we should do as last year: target pick slots where the BPA also fits a position of need and make trades to reach those slots/players. Actually, I think if we aren't trading back, I hope we don't trade the 1st rounder.

Casey Heyward worked out well for us, and hopefully a few others will improve next year.

As for ILBs, I prefer Arthur Brown from Kansas State to Jenkins or Minter. I think Minter looks like the slowest of the three, and Brown is the most aggressive. That's good, because in most mocks, Jenkins and Minter seem to go before Brown.

Deputy Nutz
02-08-2013, 09:04 AM
This draft is going to be very hard to predict for the Packers. It's not that they have immediate holes they need to fill, but they have openings for a first round talent at almost very position. The have a hole at; rb, ol, wr, te, dl, lb, and s. fans can bitch but it is hard to argue if they take a player at either one of these positions, especially if they are the best player available.

Best running backs, are Ed Lacy, Geovanni Bernard, Monte Ball, and Stephan Taylor. Stephan Taylor is ranked in the top ten but all over the place, some rankings have him as high as three others have him as low as ten. For my rankings I rank these four as the top, and in that order. As with any running back if they show well at the combine they can jump over each other and move up the draft board. The interesting thing is that if you tier positions you can get one of these four guys late in the second round, or hoping and crossing your fingers late in the third round. The Running back position just doesn't hold its elite value as well as other offensive positions. Teams have been banking on later round running backs to make an impact than spending high picks at the position. Teams like the Patriots have made a living drafting late round running backs and getting production from them. The question I have is, is there a smaller gap in talent between late round and early round picks at the running back position? Or have teams built an offensive scheme that can utilize less talented players?

At offensive line the Packers have an unbalanced situation. They only have an elite player at right guard. The left tackle position is unsettled, and right tackle is a problem area because of Bulaga's health. EDS still hasn't proven he can be an adequate starter in this league, so the Packer could address their interior line with a player like Barrett Jones. Jones brings a ton of flexibility starting and excelling at every position on the offensive line. The Packers could grab him with their first round pick, or hope he falls deep into the second round, or move up and grab him. Most of all the Packers have some young talent on the roster, but right now it seems unskilled and shaky at best. The Packers most likely will address the offensive line in the mid rounds, but they could take a player early if they believe he can be elite at the next level.

The Packers are going to lose two of their receivers along with the possibility of cutting Finley to save cap money. Thompson could go with bigger tight ends that can improve the running game. Both Tyler Eifert, and Zachary Ertz could provide better blocking than Finley, but neither can be as effective as Finley when he is at the top of his game as a receiver. Finley was a special player, and still can be at his age, unless his knee injury has caused long lasting damage. His ethic and hands are also huge question marks. The packers love their packages, but they need one tight end that doesn't have to come off the field. At receiver tha Packer can wait till the second round and get the best receiver in the draft. It has always worked in the past. The Packers need to get a receiving threat to expose the middle off the field. Cobb is the only one that consistently works the middle. Jones and Nelson are strictly outside options and deep routes. If a guy like Quinton Patton from Louisiana Tech is there in the second round he could be an option. The Packer seem to shy away from bigger receivers in favor of receivers that demonstrate route running ability and the understanding of the game. Intelligence is a big plus for the Packers when drafting receivers.

I don't care what system you run on defense you can never have enough defensive linemen or defensive backs. The Packers have a very deep cornerback group, but need an impact safety that can play the run. Woodsons is old, and if he comes back it will be to hold over the position until younger players can develop. I don't see Charles Woodson playing in all 16 games of the regular season. Burnett is effective as a centerfielder but he misses too many tackles. Jennings is really small. McMillian is a fire plug, but his future is sketchy, he could be another Atari Bigby if he doesn't work the film room in the offseason and refine his technique. The Packers have guys on their roster that are ok, they are not "all world" but they can hold their own in 2013. There isn't a true strong safety in this class that is worth a first round pick at this point. The Packers could wait and take Robert Lester from Alabama in the 3rd-5th round area. The Packers don't play a true free/strong safety, they play two safeties a left and a right. First round options could be Vaccaro from Texas, and Reid from LSU. The Big Idea right now is to have bigger safeties to get 15 yard penalties for hitting receivers while they're in the air.

Again the Packers could go after some big nasty technique sloppy defensive tackle and wait three years to watch him mature or crap out of the league. My personal opinion is not to waste picks on fat defensive linemen. They are fat for a reason and they usually come into the NFL with shitty technique. The jury seems to be out on any slob that makes to the end of the first round. I personally would wait and take my chances later in the draft with guys that have intangibles but not the name. Packers need guys that can rush the passer. Athletes on the edges. There is no questioning Mathews abilities, but they need two or three more guys to threaten the passer and to create mismatches for Mathews. Kawaan Short demonstrated some ability at the Senior Bowl. Offensive linemen had some real issues with him. I either wish he was taller and could play end, or bigger to play nose. He is tweener for the 3-4. Maybe the Packers need to become more flexible with their defensive packages, I don't know but defenses should be built around the talent not trying to fit a square peg through a round hole.

The problem with Hawk is he has never performed like an elite talent. He has played like an overachieving third round pick. He had a nice run during the Super Bowl and the Packers rewarded him. He doesn't have a huge contract but it doesn't scream value. Hawk can be replaced no doubt, but how? How far up or down in the draft do the Packers have to go to get a viable playmaker at inside linebacker? Do the Packers swing for the fences for Teo and his girlfriends? His girlfriends make a lot noise to the press, but I heard they don't eat much. To me he is the only true inside linebacker that makes big plays. But in the National Championship game he was a step slow, couldn't read plays fast enough and then couldn't get off blocks. He looked like AJ Hawk with a tan. Fans are clamouring for a guy that can run, they had that in Barnett and the Packers got rid of him. Bottom line, very few linebackers can beat blocks and make a two yard tackle. Good defensive line play makes linebackers look like All-Pros. Ask Ray Lewis, he'll talk like a canary. I keep hearing the name Alec Ogletree. He is tweener not an inside linebacker and certainly not heavy enough to play the outside in a 3-4. Again he could be dynamic but he has to fit the system in Green Bay, the system refuses to fit the player.

The packer could go so many directions in the first couple of rounds it will fans with their jaws wide open. I say, stop listening to McGinn, he floats so much hot air it is pathetic. Sure every teams wants to be bigger and faster, but usually the teams that are win. San Fran is going to make some cap decisions, and Baltimore is going to be stuck in cap hell after signing Flacco. The Packers like all contenders need to get hot at the right time and without a doubt Baltimore is a well built franchise, but they got hot at the right time. San Fran was on a magic carpet ride. They should have never gotten out of Atlanta. The Packers currently have the pieces to win a Super Bowl and drafting the right players will only make this team stronger. But drafting a linebacker isn't going to put this team over the edge, they need to replenish some positions and add depth at others.

woodbuck27
02-08-2013, 10:21 AM
WOW ! Impressive !

An outstanding effort Deputy. Accurate insight at every position of need with a suggested solution in the draft....plus plus.

Great post. I'm trying to look closer at the drafting prospects now and will use this post as a springboard to checking out talent in the deeper rounds ie rounds 3-5.

Thank You Deputy.

PACKERS !

mraynrand
02-08-2013, 10:29 AM
This draft is going to be very hard to predict for the Packers......

Some times I wonder if you have a junk draw of this shit, because if you actually take the time to write this stuff you are one crazy asshole. I only say that because you are wasting this deep penetrating thought on us.

Deputy Nutz
02-08-2013, 10:41 AM
One student showed up for first hour. Showed a video on alternative energy sources.

We have a very active membership here. You nine posters deserve the best!

mraynrand
02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
One student showed up for first hour. Showed a video on alternative energy sources.

We have a very active membership here. You nine posters deserve the best!

That's eight, if you include Cleft Crusty

Joemailman
02-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Nutz pretty much echoes my feelings about Ogletree. A dynamic athlete, but at 6-3,234 is he a fit at ILB? He's built more like a big Safety, which is the position he used to play. It probably doesn't matter. He'll be one of the top performers at the Combine, and will probably get drafted earlier than he should, well before the Packers pick.

Some people like Minter, but I wonder if he's another Hawk. Solid but unexceptional.

mraynrand
02-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Nutz pretty much echoes my feelings about Ogletree. A dynamic athlete, but at 6-3,234 is he a fit at ILB? He's built more like a big Safety, which is the position he used to play. It probably doesn't matter. He'll be one of the top performers at the Combine, and will probably get drafted earlier than he should, well before the Packers pick. .

sounds like a guy the Bears might take*

*If they were still a 'defense first' team :lol:

Pugger
02-09-2013, 10:07 AM

I do too but there is no way in hell he's around when we are picking. :neutral:

Pugger
02-09-2013, 10:08 AM

I'd take Ball in the second round if he was still available.

Pugger
02-09-2013, 10:19 AM
This draft is going to be very hard to predict for the Packers. It's not that they have immediate holes they need to fill, but they have openings for a first round talent at almost very position. The have a hole at; rb, ol, wr, te, dl, lb, and s. fans can bitch but it is hard to argue if they take a player at either one of these positions, especially if they are the best player available.

Best running backs, are Ed Lacy, Geovanni Bernard, Monte Ball, and Stephan Taylor. Stephan Taylor is ranked in the top ten but all over the place, some rankings have him as high as three others have him as low as ten. For my rankings I rank these four as the top, and in that order. As with any running back if they show well at the combine they can jump over each other and move up the draft board. The interesting thing is that if you tier positions you can get one of these four guys late in the second round, or hoping and crossing your fingers late in the third round. The Running back position just doesn't hold its elite value as well as other offensive positions. Teams have been banking on later round running backs to make an impact than spending high picks at the position. Teams like the Patriots have made a living drafting late round running backs and getting production from them. The question I have is, is there a smaller gap in talent between late round and early round picks at the running back position? Or have teams built an offensive scheme that can utilize less talented players?

At offensive line the Packers have an unbalanced situation. They only have an elite player at right guard. The left tackle position is unsettled, and right tackle is a problem area because of Bulaga's health. EDS still hasn't proven he can be an adequate starter in this league, so the Packer could address their interior line with a player like Barrett Jones. Jones brings a ton of flexibility starting and excelling at every position on the offensive line. The Packers could grab him with their first round pick, or hope he falls deep into the second round, or move up and grab him. Most of all the Packers have some young talent on the roster, but right now it seems unskilled and shaky at best. The Packers most likely will address the offensive line in the mid rounds, but they could take a player early if they believe he can be elite at the next level.

The Packers are going to lose two of their receivers along with the possibility of cutting Finley to save cap money. Thompson could go with bigger tight ends that can improve the running game. Both Tyler Eifert, and Zachary Ertz could provide better blocking than Finley, but neither can be as effective as Finley when he is at the top of his game as a receiver. Finley was a special player, and still can be at his age, unless his knee injury has caused long lasting damage. His ethic and hands are also huge question marks. The packers love their packages, but they need one tight end that doesn't have to come off the field. At receiver tha Packer can wait till the second round and get the best receiver in the draft. It has always worked in the past. The Packers need to get a receiving threat to expose the middle off the field. Cobb is the only one that consistently works the middle. Jones and Nelson are strictly outside options and deep routes. If a guy like Quinton Patton from Louisiana Tech is there in the second round he could be an option. The Packer seem to shy away from bigger receivers in favor of receivers that demonstrate route running ability and the understanding of the game. Intelligence is a big plus for the Packers when drafting receivers.

I don't care what system you run on defense you can never have enough defensive linemen or defensive backs. The Packers have a very deep cornerback group, but need an impact safety that can play the run. Woodsons is old, and if he comes back it will be to hold over the position until younger players can develop. I don't see Charles Woodson playing in all 16 games of the regular season. Burnett is effective as a centerfielder but he misses too many tackles. Jennings is really small. McMillian is a fire plug, but his future is sketchy, he could be another Atari Bigby if he doesn't work the film room in the offseason and refine his technique. The Packers have guys on their roster that are ok, they are not "all world" but they can hold their own in 2013. There isn't a true strong safety in this class that is worth a first round pick at this point. The Packers could wait and take Robert Lester from Alabama in the 3rd-5th round area. The Packers don't play a true free/strong safety, they play two safeties a left and a right. First round options could be Vaccaro from Texas, and Reid from LSU. The Big Idea right now is to have bigger safeties to get 15 yard penalties for hitting receivers while they're in the air.

Again the Packers could go after some big nasty technique sloppy defensive tackle and wait three years to watch him mature or crap out of the league. My personal opinion is not to waste picks on fat defensive linemen. They are fat for a reason and they usually come into the NFL with shitty technique. The jury seems to be out on any slob that makes to the end of the first round. I personally would wait and take my chances later in the draft with guys that have intangibles but not the name. Packers need guys that can rush the passer. Athletes on the edges. There is no questioning Mathews abilities, but they need two or three more guys to threaten the passer and to create mismatches for Mathews. Kawaan Short demonstrated some ability at the Senior Bowl. Offensive linemen had some real issues with him. I either wish he was taller and could play end, or bigger to play nose. He is tweener for the 3-4. Maybe the Packers need to become more flexible with their defensive packages, I don't know but defenses should be built around the talent not trying to fit a square peg through a round hole.

The problem with Hawk is he has never performed like an elite talent. He has played like an overachieving third round pick. He had a nice run during the Super Bowl and the Packers rewarded him. He doesn't have a huge contract but it doesn't scream value. Hawk can be replaced no doubt, but how? How far up or down in the draft do the Packers have to go to get a viable playmaker at inside linebacker? Do the Packers swing for the fences for Teo and his girlfriends? His girlfriends make a lot noise to the press, but I heard they don't eat much. To me he is the only true inside linebacker that makes big plays. But in the National Championship game he was a step slow, couldn't read plays fast enough and then couldn't get off blocks. He looked like AJ Hawk with a tan. Fans are clamouring for a guy that can run, they had that in Barnett and the Packers got rid of him. Bottom line, very few linebackers can beat blocks and make a two yard tackle. Good defensive line play makes linebackers look like All-Pros. Ask Ray Lewis, he'll talk like a canary. I keep hearing the name Alec Ogletree. He is tweener not an inside linebacker and certainly not heavy enough to play the outside in a 3-4. Again he could be dynamic but he has to fit the system in Green Bay, the system refuses to fit the player.

The packer could go so many directions in the first couple of rounds it will fans with their jaws wide open. I say, stop listening to McGinn, he floats so much hot air it is pathetic. Sure every teams wants to be bigger and faster, but usually the teams that are win. San Fran is going to make some cap decisions, and Baltimore is going to be stuck in cap hell after signing Flacco. The Packers like all contenders need to get hot at the right time and without a doubt Baltimore is a well built franchise, but they got hot at the right time. San Fran was on a magic carpet ride. They should have never gotten out of Atlanta. The Packers currently have the pieces to win a Super Bowl and drafting the right players will only make this team stronger. But drafting a linebacker isn't going to put this team over the edge, they need to replenish some positions and add depth at others.

:lol:

Nice post. I agree, we are only a couple of players here and there away. And I give TT a lot of credit here. It isn't easy to consistently be in the hunt drafting near the end of each round year after year because of our continued success.

pbmax
02-09-2013, 10:25 AM

Call me crazy, but that sounds like trade down time. Any number of needs and no high picks. Rounds 2-4 here we come!

rbaloha1
02-09-2013, 12:37 PM
ESPN's Kiper and McShay differ about Packers' 26th overall pick in NFL draft
By Bob Wolfley of the Journal Sentinel Feb. 8, 2013

EMAIL PRINT |(59) COMMENTS
NFL draft analysts Mel Kiper and Todd McShay issued dual, dueling first-round mock drafts and differ about who the Packers’ will take at 26th overall.

Kiper picked Alabama running back Eddie Lacy, while McShay chose Georgia defensive tackle Johnathan Jenkins.

“I'll go a little bit out on a limb here, but I think by the time the NFL combine is over Lacy may be at the top of a number of draft boards at running back,” Kiper said. “And for a franchise that has lacked dynamic play at the position for way too long, Lacy could fill a need, allowing them to do more than simply "show" the run, but to gain some legitimate value out of it. Lacy has really good vision, balance and more shiftiness than many saw because the Bama O-line was so good at clearing a clean path. He has power to push the pile in short-yardage situations, and people will find he's an underrated catcher of the football. He's no lock here, but I like the fit at this early stage.”

McShay said: “The Packers would like to find a left tackle in the first round, but there are none available worth the pick in this scenario. They can also address their need at running back in the second or third round. Nose tackle is not a pressing need, but it's tough to find massive pluggers with some mobility like Jenkins. He and B.J. Raji would give Green Bay versatility along its defensive front, and Jenkins could bolster a run defense that ranked in the bottom third of the NFL in yards per carry allowed at 4.5.”

McShay said he had Lacy, Le’Veon Bell of Michigan State and Montee Ball of Wisconsin among those running backs graded out as second-round choices.

smuggler
02-09-2013, 02:57 PM
This guy might be a bit too much like Brandon Jackson for some of the other posters' liking, but he's not bad. If he's available in the mid-rounds, I'd be happy if we scooped him up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8jwc3NNSZ8

I'd rather have this guy, though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=cYI7gwHQ07g&NR=1

smuggler
02-09-2013, 03:49 PM
For a late-round flyer, I'd like us to consider this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cReVg_PmrU

Shamarko Thomas. He's got great pursuit to the ball.

swede
02-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Call me crazy, but that sounds like trade down time. Any number of needs and no high picks. Rounds 2-4 here we come!

I think you are on to something. After the fact in post draft analysis you will hear comments in the line of "The Packers had a first round grade on that guy so they traded up to get him in the second."

If this sort of thing is true, the year we got Jordy the Packers' first round guys were gone before the first round was over, obliviously, so it was time to get a couple of guys off of the round 2 and 3 lists. I know I haven't seen any reason to believe that a true first rounder will be falling to us at our pick this year.

It would be funny if "trade down" wins the Packerrats' Mock Draft this year.

Pugger
02-09-2013, 06:33 PM
This guy might be a bit too much like Brandon Jackson for some of the other posters' liking, but he's not bad. If he's available in the mid-rounds, I'd be happy if we scooped him up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8jwc3NNSZ8

I'd rather have this guy, though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=cYI7gwHQ07g&NR=1

I like they way Taylor blocks as well as the way he runs.

Barner is quick! :shock:

KYPack
02-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Damn Nutz, that is one King hell post you generated there.

I think TT goes BPA in some slotted areas.

S, LB, WR, RB have to looked at firstly.

That all means that TT will pick a QB, eh?

It amazes me that interior DLineman seem to have such a long hatching time.

Two of the major mocks do have us snaring Lacy.

One way or the other, I'd think an RB goes in one of our first 3 picks.

Deputy Nutz
02-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I think that Thompson likes two of the running backs on the roster, but wants a Another back to compete. Green showed a lot coming back from a torn acl, and there is a lot of promise with him. I can't see the Packers going first round for running back. Round two maybe, I think improving the offensive line will improve the running game more than drafting a running back.

Deputy Nutz
02-09-2013, 08:26 PM
It will be interesting to see what Thompson is going to do with Rodgers. Rodgers is going to command a 120 million dollars and that is going to hold the Packers to a very tight budget even to sign their own players. Thompson better draft his ass off the next couple of years otherwise the Packers will quickly fall back to the rest so the pack.

smuggler
02-09-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm not super high on Green, but I think that DuJuan Harris looks great and should be a decent player for us. I'd expect us to take a RB somewhere in the draft, but probably in rounds 4-6. It wouldn't hurt to get a power back who could compliment Harris. Maybe a RB/FB hybrid who can challenge Kuhn (and his contract number).

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that our #1 need is at nose tackle. If there's a viable 1st-round NT at 26, I think we'll take him. Our next picks, ideally, would be WR and C (though not necessarily in that order). Of course, on draft day anything is possible, so we might have a stud at some random position fall into our laps and be forced to take him.

Alternatively, here's a guy we might target in the third round at nose tackle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEJeUILylZQ

Guy makes a good play against Oday Aboushi (2nd-3rd round OL prospect) at around 7:50 in the video. He gets some penetration and isn't too slow considering his 340lb body.

The Shadow
02-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Watched some tape on Margus Hunt, the DE from SMU.
I liked what I saw. I know he is raw, but this kid looks like he could develop into something special.

smuggler
02-10-2013, 12:25 AM
I saw him lose contain a few times playing in a 4-3 during the senior bowl. I know, all-star game and all that, but still. He looks like he could put on about 20 more lbs easily with that frame.

packrulz
02-10-2013, 06:48 AM
At DE, the Packers have Worthy, Neal, Daniels, and C.J. Wilson, and Wilson probably had the best year out of all of them. Wilson is a good run stuffer, but I'd like to see more pass rush at DE, I like Sharrif Floyd, http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737102 , but he might be gone by the time TT picks. I think our RB's are promising, and much of the difficulty running the ball stems from a lack of push from the center, Barrett Jones can play all positions on the line, http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632207 , he had torn ligaments in his left foot but he had surgery and will be there when TT picks. I think Hawk is decent at ILB, but if Manti Te'o slips to the Pack I'd want TT to take him. I like the CB's in this draft, tall, fast, you like to draft those early, Johnthan Banks would be a nice pick. It depends on how the Pack feels about Finley, but they could save money by cutting him and drafting TE Zach Ertz, who can do it all. Picking at 26th I don't like the idea of trading down, lot's of juniors coming out early this year, I like this draft crop! I think some really good players will still be there when it's TT's turn, good RB's and LB's will still be there in the 2nd round, but the best DL, OL, & DB's will go in the 1st round. Looks like some QB's will go early too, causing other players to slip.

rbaloha1
02-10-2013, 08:25 AM
I saw him lose contain a few times playing in a 4-3 during the senior bowl. I know, all-star game and all that, but still. He looks like he could put on about 20 more lbs easily with that frame.

Easily could get to 300+. Its nice MH was coached by NFL coaches.

This is the type of prospect that starts moving up quickly in the first round. Hopefully more Watt like than Mamula like.

rbaloha1
02-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Combine Countdown: SMU's Hunt a different breed at DE
By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel Feb. 9, 2013

EMAIL PRINT |(35) COMMENTS
Green Bay — His very first day at this new sport, Margus Hunt was confused. Coaches at Southern Methodist had the 6-foot-8 Estonia native run a 40-yard dash and he wasn't sure how to line up.

Oh well. Hunt ran a 4.7 anyways and a football career began.

Possibly the most intriguing prospect at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis at the end of the month is this defensive end from SMU. Hunt originally landed in the states to hone his shot put and discus skills — he won gold medals in both events at the 2006 World Junior Championships. Hunt decided to play football while he was here and now he's a potential first-round pick.

“He came in and he didn’t know if a football was popped or stuffed,” said Bert Hill, SMU’s defensive line coach. “He started from square one.”

His impact on special teams was immediate. With the Mustangs, Hunt used his 82-inch wingspan to block 17 kicks. By his senior year, he was a force at defensive end. Last season, Hunt finished with 31 tackles (11.5 for loss), eight sacks and one interception. Because of his size and untapped potential, many 3-4 teams like the Packers will surely be tracking Hunt in Indy. He's this year's textbook boom-or-bust prospect.

Hill spent more than a decade with the Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins. There weren't any players built like this, he said.

“I was in the NFL for 13 years and I never saw a guy like him,” Hill said. “Not with his abilities that he has right now, no. I didn’t see a guy.”

Hunt paid his way to SMU to work out with the school’s track coach, Dave Wollman, who has a sterling reputation with throwers. As Hill explains, Hunt ran out of money and joined the football team to earn a scholarship and stay in the states. Hunt missed one full spring football season because he was competing in Europe and missed another spring to repair his shoulder.

Thus, Margus Hunt has played football for a grand total of four falls and two springs.

And that's part of the intrigue with the 6-foot-8, 275-pound end. Hill said Hunt’s explosion with a shot and a disc does, indeed, transfer to the football field.

“All he did was train for explosiveness, being a thrower,” Hill said. “That’s why he had so many blocked kicks. He can get his pads down low and really come off the football.”

Hunt’s progress was gradual for obvious reasons. Everything was new.

“His first year, he’d grab the blocker and then just look around the backfield, trying to find the runner,” Hill said. “He wasn’t really playing the man he was lined up on. I think that’s where he has really grown over the last few years. He can line up now on a guy and he knows by the angle the guy’s using to block him where the ball’s going to go. So he doesn’t need to see it. He can put his hands on a guy, get off of him and go make the tackle.”

For Hunt, it all culminated in a 43-10 bowl win over Fresno State. In the first half alone, he had two sacks, three tackles for loss, two forced fumbles and one safety.

Watch his complete performance here. Hunt took the game over.

Now it's on NFL teams to figure out if the Estonian can keep progressing in the pros.

“There are times when he’s unblockable,” Hill said. “Then there were times on film when it looked like he didn’t really know he was playing football. The lights came on for him about halfway through his senior year. The guy just started playing lights out. He kept his pads down. He kept his hands on people. He got off of them. And he made a lot of plays.”

Leading up to the Combine, we'll take a look at each position. Here are a few other defensive linemen worth monitoring:

DE Bjoern Werner (Florida State): The ACC Defensive Player of the Year finished with 13 sacks and 18 tackles for loss. German exchange student picked up the sport quickly and is now projected by many to be a top 5 pick.

DE Damontre Moore (Texas A&M): Showed a ton of burst in college with 12 1/2 sacks and 20 tackles for loss last season. The 6-foot-4, 255-pound pass rusher will probably put up good numbers at the Combine, too.

DE Ezekiel Ansah (BYU): Much like Margus Hunt, was a late bloomer. The Ghana native picked up football in 2010. Very green but impressed scouts at the Senior Bowl in Mobile. Had 62 tackles, 4 1/2 sacks last season.

DT Star Lotulelei (Utah): Athletic 6-3, 320-pounder is projected to go in the top 5. Faced multiple blockers all season, yet still finished with 11 tackles for loss and five sacks.

DT Sharrif Floyd (Florida): Started 11 games at DE with 46 tackles, 6.5 for loss, 1.5 sacks. Translates to tackle at 6-3, 303. Florida laid an egg in the Sugar Bowl against Louisville, but Floyd did sack Teddy Bridgewater twice.

pbmax
02-10-2013, 11:14 AM
rb, you need to stop posting entire articles off JSO. Mad has gotten communication before about reposting their material without consent.

Quote a small bit or paraphrase and then link to the article. Much safer.

Freak Out
02-10-2013, 11:54 AM
A 6 foot 8 inch 300 pound thrower from Estonia that plays DE...has Packers written all over him.

RashanGary
02-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Like Bretsky, I have a broner for Montee Ball. I think he's going to run faster and get drafted higher than he's projected now. He was a big guy coming in, and not in the greatest shape. Since coming to Wisconsin, he's made as much improvement as just about anyone. That shows a great work ethic and determination. His TD numbers show he has a nose for the endzone and a nose for those couple tough yards in short yardage. If he runs 4.50 or less, he should be a 1st round pick IMO. He played like one. Only problem is he ran behind Wisconsin's line. That makes him a tough projection on the next level. I could be way off.

mraynrand
02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Like Bretsky, I have a broner for Montee Ball. I think he's going to run faster and get drafted higher than he's projected now. He was a big guy coming in, and not in the greatest shape. Since coming to Wisconsin, he's made as much improvement as just about anyone. That shows a great work ethic and determination. His TD numbers show he has a nose for the endzone and a nose for those couple tough yards in short yardage. If he runs 4.50 or less, he should be a 1st round pick IMO. He played like one. Only problem is he ran behind Wisconsin's line. That makes him a tough projection on the next level. I could be way off.

If he's what you say he is, he won't get past the Steelers

rbaloha1
02-10-2013, 01:12 PM
If he's what you say he is, he won't get past the Steelers

Always skeptical of Wisconsin running backs from Dayne to Clay.

How is Ball different?

Bretsky
02-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Always skeptical of Wisconsin running backs from Dayne to Clay.

How is Ball different?

Ron Dayne....bless his sould...but the dude lacked ambition and used plenty of funny stuff in the offseason. He was terribly gifted thought but never had anyting as a receiver to blocker. He had to be in the perfect system to have a shot, and when you get to the NFL you can't just succeed off talent...the heart has to be there.

John Clay is a terrible comparison. He didn't improve one bit since his freshman year. Very gifted again, but offseasons for Clay involved no work and often pounds gained. Not a team player.

Ball, each off season, would go through some legit regiments to try to improve himself. Betweent his sophomore and junior season he had a Donald Driver like routine and came bach stronger and faster. Dude has a nack for the end zone and he's a legit blocker and receiver.

Bretsky
02-10-2013, 01:29 PM
I do think there is a shot Ball slips to us in round two based on how the drills go for him. I don't think he falls to us in round three though

Deputy Nutz
02-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Ball has improved his game each season. He is a dedicated football player. Clay was a classic underachiever from his senior year at Racine Park to the end of his college career. He came in to Wisconsin with much fan fair, but by the end of his junior year he was third on the depth chart and wasn't going to be a factor his senior year. Dayne was a classic running back for the college game. He ran in front of the best offensive line his junior and senior year and he could be a step slow behind the line of scrimmage and then get up to speed at the second level where he dominated linebackers and defensive backs. In the NFL the holes are smaller and close faster. Dayne had the vision of an Adrian Peterson, but just didn't have the reaction time to get through the hole fast enough. Like Bretsky said, Dayne wasn't nearly as dedicated enough at the next level to improve his game to be a competent starter in the NFL.

Ball is never going to be AP, but he is going to be good at the next level because he can block, and catch the ball out of the backfield and has a quick enough first step to get to the second level. He did have trouble his senior year with his vision and getting through the line of scrimmage. That could have been the product of an under performing offensive line, and a lack of organization across the offense.

woodbuck27
02-10-2013, 02:29 PM
It will be interesting to see what Thompson is going to do with Rodgers. Rodgers is going to command a 120 million dollars and that is going to hold the Packers to a very tight budget even to sign their own players. Thompson better draft his ass off the next couple of years otherwise the Packers will quickly fall back to the rest so the pack.

I don't mean to shock or otherwise surprize the membership but I see a concern.

Aaron Rodgers will cost the maximum to keep unless he makes the Packers a deal of himself. I'm watching this carefully. I believe it'll take alot of Green Bay Packer eggs to fill that basket. Then there's this mans ego and certain desire to write his name in NFL history. He won't be any different than our last QB and want to have a realistic shot at his second Super Bowl.

Next season will certainly be a telling one in terms of Aaron Rodgers legacy in Green Bay. It seems to me that he likes it neat or the pieces already in place.

GO PACKERS !

rbaloha1
02-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Ball has improved his game each season. He is a dedicated football player. Clay was a classic underachiever from his senior year at Racine Park to the end of his college career. He came in to Wisconsin with much fan fair, but by the end of his junior year he was third on the depth chart and wasn't going to be a factor his senior year. Dayne was a classic running back for the college game. He ran in front of the best offensive line his junior and senior year and he could be a step slow behind the line of scrimmage and then get up to speed at the second level where he dominated linebackers and defensive backs. In the NFL the holes are smaller and close faster. Dayne had the vision of an Adrian Peterson, but just didn't have the reaction time to get through the hole fast enough. Like Bretsky said, Dayne wasn't nearly as dedicated enough at the next level to improve his game to be a competent starter in the NFL.

Ball is never going to be AP, but he is going to be good at the next level because he can block, and catch the ball out of the backfield and has a quick enough first step to get to the second level. He did have trouble his senior year with his vision and getting through the line of scrimmage. That could have been the product of an under performing offensive line, and a lack of organization across the offense.

Nice stuff -- okay I am on board.

Did the off season incident affect Ball's performance?

RashanGary
02-10-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm a Matt Elam fan too. Collins ran a 4.38. For Elam to be great, I do think he'll have to be very fast. He's tough, like Collins, but not an animal like Pollard for Baltimore. They say he has excellent range. If he shows his speed at the combine, I think it would be great to have a FS who can cover sideline to sideline similar to the way Collins did. Expecting anyone to be as good as Collins is a stretch, but at this point I'd take 90% of Collins over anything we have, and that's by a long shot.

Joemailman
02-10-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm a Matt Elam fan too. Collins ran a 4.38. For Elam to be great, I do think he'll have to be very fast. He's tough, like Collins, but not an animal like Pollard for Baltimore. They say he has excellent range. If he shows his speed at the combine, I think it would be great to have a FS who can cover sideline to sideline similar to the way Collins did. Expecting anyone to be as good as Collins is a stretch, but at this point I'd take 90% of Collins over anything we have, and that's by a long shot.

I want to see what Jerron McMillian can do to upgrade his game next year. One thing I'm unsure of is his top end speed. He ran a 4.59 40 at the Combine, but a 4.35 at his Pro Day. Which is indicative of his speed? If he really has 4.35 speed, he could have quite a bit of upside with a little more experience.

rbaloha1
02-10-2013, 05:06 PM
I want to see what Jerron McMillian can do to upgrade his game next year. One thing I'm unsure of is his top end speed. He ran a 4.59 40 at the Combine, but a 4.35 at his Pro Day. Which is indicative of his speed? If he really has 4.35 speed, he could have quite a bit of upside with a little more experience.

JM is agressive but misses too many tackles.

Maybe once the game slows down for JM the packers d has an in the box safety.

denverYooper
02-11-2013, 09:58 AM
A 6 foot 8 inch 300 pound thrower from Estonia that plays DE...has Packers written all over him.

LOL!

Then all of the fans will kill him for a year while he draws a ridiculous number of penalties learning the ins and outs of pro OL play. We'll all be moaning about the questionable pick on a raw developmental prospect until the last quarter of 2014, when he goes on a tear to lead the Packers to SB 49.

pbmax
02-11-2013, 11:15 AM

I mostly agree, but from an eyeball standpoint, I saw more play at 4.59 speed than 4.35. Mostly it seemed to be change of direction as he looked for more comfortable going forward. But as he is young, some of that slowness might be reaction time and assignment identification.

Pugger
02-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Nice stuff -- okay I am on board.

Did the off season incident affect Ball's performance?

It wouldn't surprise me. It took him a couple of weeks to get it going.

Fritz
02-22-2013, 07:49 AM
So how good is Ball, really? Take off your Wisconsin Red-lensed glasses for a moment and describe the guy and how he looks to project in the NFL. I know very, very little about him - all I really know is that his name reminds me of Monte Hall from Let's Make a Deal, and a picture of Monte Hall carrying a football does not inspire confidence.

swede
02-22-2013, 07:57 AM
So how good is Ball, really? Take off your Wisconsin Red-lensed glasses for a moment and describe the guy and how he looks to project in the NFL. I know very, very little about him - all I really know is that his name reminds me of Monte Hall from Let's Make a Deal, and a picture of Monte Hall carrying a football does not inspire confidence.

He is a perfect back for our system. Ted hates perfect backs for our running system. Ted drafts backs for our throwing system.

He set some sort of college record...I forget what it was...something about touchdowns in a career. He worked hard in every offseason to carve his body into the right combination of quickness and strength to perform well on the field. He makes good cuts, finds holes, and has a great 2nd gear.

He'll be a name in the pro's. Watch the Bears take him.

Fritz
02-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Where is he projected to go? Is he perhaps a second round type?

If anyone in the NFC North takes him, it'll be the Leos.

swede
02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Where is he projected to go? Is he perhaps a second round type?

If anyone in the NFC North takes him, it'll be the Leos.

I've heard 2nd-4th. I think late 2nd.

Imagine how stoked the fan base will be when their team's 2nd-4th round selection has 83 college touchdowns to watch on the highlight reel.