PDA

View Full Version : THE OFFICIAL CUT by MARCH 13th DUE TO SALRY CAP RAMIFICATIONS THREAD

Bretsky
02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Lots of Heads are going to Roll over the next month

Figured we should have a thread dedicated to the cuts and announcing new blood out there for our Free Agent Hunter TT to target.

By no means am I advocating spending big money on any of them

But I'd like to see us nab a couple mid tier guys to patch a couple holes so we're not forced to draft certain routes

Bretsky
02-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Chris Canty- DE for the Giants......GONE......I think he's been oft injured but he is a nice DE when healthy
Ahmad Bradshaw..........................GONG......He made Green Bay his bitch on one of our worst defensive plays ever.......nice RB but never healthy.

Bretsky
02-06-2013, 10:40 PM
P.S.....I know those were already announced.....but figured a thread on topic was worth it......cuz there will be MANY MANY MORE

Cheesehead Craig
02-06-2013, 11:26 PM
P.S.....I know those were already announced.....but figured a thread on topic was worth it......cuz there will be MANY MANY MORE

You are wise oh Bikini Girl one...

Patler
02-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Chris Canty- DE for the Giants......GONE......I think he's been oft injured but he is a nice DE when healthy
Ahmad Bradshaw..........................GONG......He made Green Bay his bitch on one of our worst defensive plays ever.......nice RB but never healthy.

The Packers were sniffing around Canty back in 2009. This is from back then:

Canty was prepared to leave the Giants complex and fly to Green Bay for a free-agent visit Sunday night -- if New York didn't hit the $7 million per year average that he was seeking. According to a league source I talked with, the Packers weren't scared off at all by the $7 million average salary and would have likely topped New York's offer. But Green Bay, which is switching to the 3-4 defense this year, wanted Canty to come to town and meet the coaching staff before negotiations began in earnest.

The Packers viewed Canty as the best 3-4 end available in free agency, but they traditionally move slow in free agency and weren't prepared to compete with the Giants' offer in negotiations over the phone. But early Friday morning, after the start of free agency, Canty was almost certain he was going to sign with Washington, only to see the Redskins take their deal off the table when they locked up Albert Haynesworth around 5 a.m. Canty had been offered $18 million guaranteed by the Redskins, and he wasn't eager to visit Green Bay if it involved the risk of potentially losing the Giants' deal in the process.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/27/signings/index.html#ixzz2KDcdhyGs

denverYooper
02-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Yeah Patler, I remember that.

He's the kind of guy that the Packers *might* bring in now if he sits on the market long enough to make the price right.

Although his price would have to dive pretty hard. His production last year was not far different from CJ Wilson.
Wilson - 274 def snaps - 2.5 sk, 16 tkl (5.8%)
Canty - 297 def snaps - 3.0 sk, 20 tkl (6.7%)

rbaloha1
02-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Canty is the type of length the Packers require.

The injury history is not worth the risk -- minimum only please.

George Cumby
02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Four years older and oft-injured? Not TT's style.

mraynrand
02-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Canty is the type of length the Packers require.

The injury history is not worth the risk -- minimum only please.

he's listed at 286 - that would bring down the DE weight average. What would McGinn say?

rbaloha1
02-07-2013, 11:25 AM
he's listed at 286 - that would bring down the DE weight average. What would McGinn say?

e-mail him

already alerted him about the knuckleheads on this board.

Guiness
02-07-2013, 11:59 AM
The Packers were sniffing around Canty back in 2009. This is from back then:

I remember that as well - apparently they were looking at him and Igor Olshansky who went to Dallas. We got neither, and drafted Raji and Wynn.

mraynrand
02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
e-mail him

already alerted him about the knuckleheads on this board.

rēs ipsa loquitur

Guiness
02-07-2013, 12:53 PM
rēs ipsa loquitur

lol. prima facie at minimum

Fritz
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Yeah Patler, I remember that.

He's the kind of guy that the Packers *might* bring in now if he sits on the market long enough to make the price right.

Although his price would have to dive pretty hard. His production last year was not far different from CJ Wilson.
Wilson - 274 def snaps - 2.5 sk, 16 tkl (5.8%)
Canty - 297 def snaps - 3.0 sk, 20 tkl (6.7%)

But Chris Canty was a big name that I recognize and remember; thus he is obviously a better player than 7th round pick CJ Wilson and thus the Packers must move heaven and earth to sign him. He'll solve all our DE problems! We'd instantly become SB favorites!

SkinBasket
02-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Ahmad Bradshaw..........................GONG

I didn't know Bradshaw was a Chinese name.

Zool
02-07-2013, 03:09 PM
I didn't know Bradshaw was a Chinese name.

Here I was thinking the cut players Gong Show style. If you get gonged, a big hook grabs you off the field.

Guiness
02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Here I was thinking the cut players Gong Show style. If you get gonged, a big hook grabs you off the field.

Even if you're in the middle of your Little Bo Peep skit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n63HrVEgpE0

In other news, I see Philly is going to pay Vick his $3million roster bonus while they try and figure out what to do with him.

Joemailman
02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Osi Umenyiora's contract voided. He becomes a free agent March 12. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/07/osi-umenyioras-officially-out-of-contract/

Bretsky
02-07-2013, 07:24 PM
But Chris Canty was a big name that I recognize and remember; thus he is obviously a better player than 7th round pick CJ Wilson and thus the Packers must move heaven and earth to sign him. He'll solve all our DE problems! We'd instantly become SB favorites!

Don't let the stats fool ya Fritz; when both are healthy Canty is still a better player than CJ Wilson

Bretsky
02-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Osi Umenyiora's contract voided. He becomes a free agent March 12. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/07/osi-umenyioras-officially-out-of-contract/

I figured that could occur; word out of NY is the Giants are really going to try to lock up who they consider to be their #1 WR as opposed to giving Victor Cruz a huge deal.
Kind of surprised by that. Cruz is very deserving of some healthy money but it appears they value him as a high end #2 and don't want to invest too much in two WR's

OSI......he'd be a guy to bring in at the lower end of the mid rangs on a two year deal. That would remind me of some of SF's recent signings

smuggler
02-07-2013, 10:54 PM
So, they value Nicks more than Cruz? That's interesting. I think Cruz is probably more talented.

Bretsky
02-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Agree; to me when I think of Nicks I think of an injury prone talented borderline #1 or high end #2.
When I think of Cruz I think of one of the best route runners in the NFL who is really dam hard to match up with cause of his shalke and bake moves and route running

mraynrand
02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Agree; to me when I think of Nicks I think of an injury prone talented borderline #1 or high end #2.
When I think of Cruz I think of one of the best route runners in the NFL who is really dam hard to match up with cause of his shalke and bake moves and route running

when I think of Cruz, I think of touchdown Tory Holt!

woodbuck27
02-10-2013, 03:26 PM
I figured that could occur; word out of NY is the Giants are really going to try to lock up who they consider to be their #1 WR as opposed to giving Victor Cruz a huge deal.
Kind of surprised by that. Cruz is very deserving of some healthy money but it appears they value him as a high end #2 and don't want to invest too much in two WR's

OSI......he'd be a guy to bring in at the lower end of the mid rangs on a two year deal. That would remind me of some of SF's recent signings

Nicks over Cruz !? Why?

I cannot agree with that as a correct decision. Victor Cruz simply took time to mature and IMO is the better WR.

Joemailman
02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
They are probably focusing on Nicks more because he will be a UFA when his contract ends. Cruz, because he signed a 3 year deal, will be a RFA. I would imagine they intend to keep both, but want to get Nicks wrapped up first.

Joemailman
02-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Nick Barnett and Safety George Wilson released by Buffalo. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000138134/article/buffalo-bills-release-nick-barnett-george-wilson

Anybody know much about Wilson?

smuggler
02-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Wilson is a decent safety in some metrics. He's over 30. He's probably the SS type mold, not the best in coverage, but can tackle and pursue in the running game. The Bills were not too pleased with his man-coverage and the fact that he'd lost a step. As recently as two years ago, he was rated as a top safety in the league.

He will definitely find a home, but I'm certain it won't be in Green Bay.

Fritz
02-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Wilson is a decent safety in some metrics. He's over 30. He's probably the SS type mold, not the best in coverage, but can tackle and pursue in the running game. The Bills were not too pleased with his man-coverage and the fact that he'd lost a step. As recently as two years ago, he was rated as a top safety in the league.

Well, he looks mean enough...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8iI2cMmY7nf6LTp_2MBYu58voUtgiN 6MwOpKIO7VrmX9fjJY7IQ

QBME
02-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Well, he looks mean enough...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8iI2cMmY7nf6LTp_2MBYu58voUtgiN 6MwOpKIO7VrmX9fjJY7IQ

LOL...I had forgotten about mean ol' George..

Iron Mike
02-12-2013, 07:37 AM

Do we get to see Jaye P. Morgan's bewbs???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq3oKdY67u8

KYPack
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
The Gong Show?

That's enough of that shit.

I got a vet UFA that might cross the GBP's radar screen. How about a veteran NT that is great at run stuffing? That's Roy Miller of TB. He's 6'2" 310, 25 years old and 4 years in the league. Real active, excellent run stuffer, no pass rush, but hey he's a space eater.

Tampa has until March 12 to sign him and is showing zero interest.

He fits TT's narrow profile for FA's, who knows, Miller might get a look.

MadScientist
02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
The Gong Show?

I got a vet UFA that might cross the GBP's radar screen. How about a veteran NT that is great at run stuffing? That's Roy Miller of TB. He's 6'2" 310, 25 years old and 4 years in the league. Real active, excellent run stuffer, no pass rush, but hey he's a space eater.

Oh, sure bring on-topic crap into a rambling thread.

If he is an active big NT, and only 25, why is TB showing no interest in keeping him? Actually reading up on it, I have a hunch that something will get done over the next month, unless Miller is way over-valuing himself. If he does hit the market, he's definitely worth a look as he sounds like a young Pickett (good run stuffer, nothing as a pass rusher).

Guiness
02-13-2013, 12:39 PM

If he is an active big NT, and only 25, why is TB showing no interest in keeping him? Actually reading up on it, I have a hunch that something will get done over the next month, unless Miller is way over-valuing himself. If he does hit the market, he's definitely worth a look as he sounds like a young Pickett (good run stuffer, nothing as a pass rusher).

Go look at the 'salary cap breakdown' thread. TB has made some horrible contract decisions, like having $29 million allocated to guards next season. And decision time is coming for Freeman, who's entering the last year of his rookie deal. They've got some issues there, and RM could be a casulty in the numbers game.

pbmax
02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Go look at the 'salary cap breakdown' thread. TB has made some horrible contract decisions, like having $29 million allocated to guards next season. And decision time is coming for Freeman, who's entering the last year of his rookie deal. They've got some issues there, and RM could be a casulty in the numbers game.

Also, he is the run stuffing component on a D that was good against the run and very poor versus the pass. They might need him (esp. if as PFT notes, depth isn't good behind him) but they may have other pressing priorities.

KYPack
02-13-2013, 05:34 PM

Yeah, young Pickett was exactly my thoughts, too.

He's a good hand in the middle, now.

Move Raji to an end, Pickett the same and/or spot him at NT?

It might work.

Joemailman
02-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Yeah, young Pickett was exactly my thoughts, too.

He's a good hand in the middle, now.

Move Raji to an end, Pickett the same and/or spot him at NT?

It might work.

At 310 lbs. can he anchor? I know he's a beast with the weights, but that's still 20-25 lbs. lighter than Pickett and Raji. Was he playing NT at TB, or 3-tech?

KYPack
02-13-2013, 08:51 PM
At 310 lbs. can he anchor? I know he's a beast with the weights, but that's still 20-25 lbs. lighter than Pickett and Raji. Was he playing NT at TB, or 3-tech?

Yeah, he's is a bit light. Tampa played him at NT, but they slanted him, covering the center at an angle. So he was a 0 tech but this kid is super active. You almost have to double him. The Bucs were the top team in the league against the run. I'm surprised he's still unsigned this late. They probably want to do Freeman's deal before signing Miller.

If he slips thru the cracks (it's happened before) maybe we can snag him.

smuggler
02-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Maybe so. There will be other suitors, so unless he makes coming to a contender a priority, he won't be coming to us. I hope we consider all the avenues, though.

woodbuck27
02-15-2013, 11:25 AM

How about this fella at safety:

Jairus Byrd:

** Byrd isn't one of the three players who made the Pro Bowl, but that doesn't mean he isn't the best available free agent. The 26-year-old turned in another excellent season in Buffalo and is rated as the best free agent safety by Pro Football Focus, and it isn't close. Byrd finished the season with 76tackles, four forced fumbles, five interceptions and five tackles for loss, proving he can play both the run and excel in coverage. He may not have the name recognition of others, but Byrd will be a big acquisition wherever he ends up.With the news that Charles Woodson may be gone. Is TT targeting a FA safety?

There are other decent options as Free Agents at this position:

** http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/15/3858582/2013-nfl-free-agents-safeties

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
02-15-2013, 11:30 AM
The Gong Show?

If TT looks at filling our need at safety and/or DT. He will take alot of pressure off his draft.

smuggler
02-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Byrd is probably too slow to play in our system. Even still, he has good cover skills and is more than comfortable around the LoS. However, it's all moot because some team running Cover-2 will pay him a ton of money to play safety and it won't be Green Bay.

ThunderDan
02-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Colts cut Dwight Freeney.

ThunderDan
02-16-2013, 12:34 PM
The Packers could have a reality show. Bring in a whole bunch of old vets and whoever wins gets a spot at training camp. The Cowboys did this a few years back with guys who didn't make it out of college.

We could have Shawn Merriman and Freeney battle it out for a spot in TC.

Guiness
02-16-2013, 12:56 PM
The Packers could have a reality show. Bring in a whole bunch of old vets and whoever wins gets a spot at training camp. The Cowboys did this a few years back with guys who didn't make it out of college.

We could have Shawn Merriman and Freeney battle it out for a spot in TC.

Is Freeney done, or was his cap number just too big, like Woodson? He was never a big guy with a bull move, so if he lost a step he'd lose a lot of effectiveness. Putting Freeney and Merriman in the same category is a hell of a drop off for Freeney.

ThunderDan
02-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Is Freeney done, or was his cap number just too big, like Woodson? He was never a big guy with a bull move, so if he lost a step he'd lose a lot of effectiveness. Putting Freeney and Merriman in the same category is a hell of a drop off for Freeney.

Article I read said that it was a combination of salary and that his sack totals have decreased each of the last 3 seasons.

smuggler
02-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Health + Cap, that's my thought. Even though the Colts have plenty of room, they still feel it's a waste on Freeney.

Joemailman
02-16-2013, 05:40 PM

Freeney is listed as having started 13 games this year, and had a total of 12 tackles, of which 5 were sacks. The Colts switched to the 3-4 this year, so he must have been unable to make the transition. Those are terrible numbers for an OLB in the 3-4.

Bretsky
02-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Freeney is listed as having started 13 games this year, and had a total of 12 tackles, of which 5 were sacks. The Colts switched to the 3-4 this year, so he must have been unable to make the transition. Those are terrible numbers for an OLB in the 3-4.

IMO Freeney has two to three yrs left as a situational pass rusher
Ideally he hooks up with a team running 4 3 D and he's productive rushing the passer fifteen or so downs per game

But IMO.....he's not going to break any banks and he'll probably be a smart signing with a contender as I'm sure he wants to go try and get another SB

Fritz
02-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Plus the Colts have the indomitable Lawrence Guy waiting in the wings.

I wish the Pack still had that guy. The light is probably going on for him just about . . . Now.

Bretsky
02-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Earth to Fritz....Lawrence Guy sux; always has :)

Bart Scott is done as a JET

Fritz
02-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Earth to Fritz....Lawrence Guy sux; always has :)

Bart Scott is done as a JET

Guy played in eight games, started two. Had twelve tackles, six assists, one sack.

That doesn't sound all that sucky to me.

rbaloha1
02-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Scott needs to be scrutinized.

Fritz
02-21-2013, 12:06 PM
For what?

denverYooper
02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
He's inscrutable.

Fritz
02-22-2013, 06:45 AM
Bretsky, no response from you after I posted Lawrence Guy's stats?

Really, you wouldn't prefer him in the fold to, say, Mikey Daniels?

Cheesehead Craig
02-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Michael Turner is likely to be released by the Falcons.

Quick, time for the "sign him ASAP" calls and "TT would never sign a 31 yr old RB FA" comments.

rbaloha1
02-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Michael Turner is likely to be released by the Falcons.

Quick, time for the "sign him ASAP" calls and "TT would never sign a 31 yr old RB FA" comments.

sign him ASAP

Fritz
02-22-2013, 10:01 AM
TT would never sign a 31 yr old RB FA.

Cheesehead Craig
02-22-2013, 11:01 AM
rb and fritz repped for playing along.

Bretsky
02-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Bretsky, no response from you after I posted Lawrence Guy's stats?

Really, you wouldn't prefer him in the fold to, say, Mikey Daniels?

I have never been high on Guy and with a bit of effort I could find a bunch of scabs with respectable stats in limited games :)

I'll take Daniels over Guy any day

I've been prety focues on my list of ringing endorsements for the 2013. That should probably serves as a good list of guys to avoid for GB

Bretsky
02-22-2013, 06:42 PM
pass on Turner; if ou are going with a vet FA RB Ahmad Bradshaw would be a better fit (although off injured) and S Jackson would be a consideration.

Our best RB in WI went to school right up the road from where I work

hoosier
02-22-2013, 08:22 PM
In 2011 (before he really stunk it up last year) Turner had an amazingly high percentage of negative runs, upwards of 20%, with a decent run-blocking line. Just imagine what he could accomplish with the Packers OL!!

Smeefers
02-23-2013, 08:14 AM
I'd love to have Steve Jackson on the team, but I'd also like to visit the playboy mansion on the weekends and we all know that's more likely than the packers picking up a highly touted free agent.

ThunderDan
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
I'd love to have Steve Jackson on the team, but I'd also like to visit the playboy mansion on the weekends and we all know that's more likely than the packers picking up a highly touted free agent.

Psst....Smeefers I really am Hugh. Stop by the mansion anytime and tell security, "Swordfish." They will let you right in and you can watch my 20 year old wife frolick in the pool with her friends topless.

pbmax
02-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Psst....Smeefers I really am Hugh. Stop by the mansion anytime and tell security, "Swordfish." They will let you right in and you can watch my 20 year old wife frolick in the pool with her friends topless.

And why are we finding out about this only now?

Smeefers
02-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Because his real name is Hugh Robertson. He lives in mansion with hundreds of rooms - An apartment building. Security is his wife at the door, and "she" is a 6 foot tall Hairy irish guy. They get their buddies together and go down to the apartment pool to hang out.

ThunderDan
02-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Because his real name is Hugh Robertson. He lives in mansion with hundreds of rooms - An apartment building. Security is his wife at the door, and "she" is a 6 foot tall Hairy irish guy. They get their buddies together and go down to the apartment pool to hang out.

The password his been changed. Sorry no topless women in the Grotto for you!

Fritz
02-25-2013, 02:44 PM
But all Smeefs get to do is watch them? He can click on a link and watch more than topless frolicking!

ThunderDan
02-26-2013, 07:40 PM
But all Smeefs get to do is watch them? He can click on a link and watch more than topless frolicking!

If he has game to bag one of them more power to him. Except now he isn't invited.

KYPack
02-26-2013, 09:33 PM
OK, back to work Ladies.

One of you sumbitches name a S & a ILB that will be a late salary squeeze FA that we can use.

I named a possible zero tech, you guys (& Pug + Zig) need to get us more possibles.

PLease?

MFERS?

pbmax
02-26-2013, 10:31 PM
I can name an ILB group that McGinn says might get trimmed or have someone's contract redone before the start of next season.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-salarycap-issues-could-affect-linebackers-6d8tk30-193176041.html

run pMc
02-27-2013, 03:23 PM
and here I was thinking "Wow -- Hef is a Packer fan!"

run pMc
02-27-2013, 03:29 PM
No to Michael Turner. Last year his YPC average dropped like <insert your own inappropriate metaphor here>.
No to Bradshaw. Good player, like him, but he's a little bit of a flake and can't stay healthy. GB already has James Starks.
I like Steven Jackson, but I don't know how much he has left in the tank.

I'd be surprised if TT signs any significant FA. I expect him to be preoccupied with the draft and with signing his own guys. I'd rather them find a way to sign Jennings than overpay for someone else's aging cuts.

denverYooper
02-27-2013, 04:19 PM
No to Michael Turner. Last year his YPC average dropped like <insert your own inappropriate metaphor here>.
No to Bradshaw. Good player, like him, but he's a little bit of a flake and can't stay healthy. GB already has James Starks.

I'd be surprised if TT signs any significant FA. I expect him to be preoccupied with the draft and with signing his own guys. I'd rather them find a way to sign Jennings than overpay for someone else's aging cuts.

<like Najeh Davenport in a closet>

pbmax
02-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Dan Connor is getting an ultimatum from the Cowboys according to PFT and its either pay cut or roster cut.

I know everything about him that his picture that accompanies the story can tell me. He seems to be a LB. Is he worth hoping he gets let go?

3irty1
02-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Dan Connor is getting an ultimatum from the Cowboys according to PFT and its either pay cut or roster cut.

I know everything about him that his picture that accompanies the story can tell me. He seems to be a LB. Is he worth hoping he gets let go?

Connor was a beast at Penn State and could certainly be a tone setter for a D. He's kind of slow though.

red
02-27-2013, 09:42 PM

i flew out there and said swordfish to the guy out front, then tried to walk in

got my ass kicked six ways to sunday

denverYooper
02-28-2013, 09:24 AM
i flew out there and said swordfish to the guy out front, then tried to walk in

got my ass kicked six ways to sunday

Jackie Treehorn draws a lot of water in this community, Lebowski. You don't draw shit.

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 12:43 PM

TT is a smart man. He will only franchise GJ if he suspects that he might go to a division rival and he has the pieces in place to make a real run next season. You don't rent what you already own. 'The smart money' would be on letting GJ ride off into the sunset.

As per renewing GJ's contract? Greg Jennings is looking after a long term last deal for his family and TT has better need of his CAP money than signing Greg Jennings for three or more seasons at $12 Million$ plus.

If TT doesn't 'only' offer correct money for actual value to our team for both Greg Jennings and Jermichael Finley. Then I'll take the stance that he's not being realistic in terms of these draft picks. I feel as a final analysis that these two players time has come and gone for our team. We need to see a true NO. 1 WR and TE on the Green Bay Packers.

Fosco33
03-01-2013, 04:57 PM
My wife used to work for playboy tv and has been to the mansion... it's not all that. Plus - do you really want sloppy grandpa seconds?

pbmax
03-01-2013, 07:00 PM
What kind of work did she do there Mr. Fosco? :D

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure if this is on this thread or elsewhere but in any case I found it interesting and useful in terms of understanding our teams Salary Cap situation as we presently are viewing it; in light of rumours of impending extentions to players like Rodgers, Matthews and Raji.

Tender or not, Francois wants to play for Packers

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130301/PKR0101/130301033/Tender-not-Francois-wants-play-Packers

GO PACKERS !

ThunderDan
03-04-2013, 03:25 PM

I hired her to write the articles.

sharpe1027
03-04-2013, 03:38 PM
do you really want sloppy grandpa seconds?

In a perfect world, there would be no need to compromise. In this world, sacrifices sometimes need to be made for the greater good.

Fritz
03-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Connor was a beast at Penn State and could certainly be a tone setter for a D. He's kind of slow though.

Just what this team needs to run down Colin Kaepernick...

Bretsky
03-04-2013, 08:29 PM

Who cares about the work; I don't even know Fosco but I'm seriously pissed at him for never inviting me to the Playboy Mansion !!! :)

pbmax
03-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Who cares about the work; I don't even know Fosco but I'm seriously pissed at him for never inviting me to the Playboy Mansion !!! :)

Think about it B. What if she was the photographer? Or in charge of backing up all the images? Videographer?

Save you the cost of the trip.

Guiness
03-04-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure if this is on this thread or elsewhere but in any case I found it interesting and useful in terms of understanding our teams Salary Cap situation as we presently are viewing it; in light of rumours of impending extentions to players like Rodgers, Matthews and Raji.

Tender or not, Francois wants to play for Packers

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130301/PKR0101/130301033/Tender-not-Francois-wants-play-Packers

GO PACKERS !

Another article that mentions Shields might get the low tender. I think they're off their meds. Shields played as well as any CB for a lot of last year, and will NOT be offered that tender. Especially when you factor in that he was a UDFA, and the Pack would get no compensation at all if he went elsewhere.

Fritz
03-05-2013, 05:28 AM
Another article that mentions Shields might get the low tender. I think they're off their meds. Shields played as well as any CB for a lot of last year, and will NOT be offered that tender. Especially when you factor in that he was a UDFA, and the Pack would get no compensation at all if he went elsewhere.

I agree, Guiness. This seemed to me the kind of article a casual fan would toss off - poorly informed, shoot from the hip. Sure, the dollars count when you're trying to renegotiate the contracts of the big dogs. But those dollars come from not playing in the FA market and by letting Jennings go, not by letting Sam Shields get away.

pbmax
03-05-2013, 07:17 AM
The Packers could view Shields as expendable with a healthy House, Hayward and rejuvenated Tramontana back there. But if I were them, I'd be more worried about Williams.

Guiness
03-05-2013, 07:46 AM
The Packers could view Shields as expendable with a healthy House, Hayward and rejuvenated Tramontana back there. But if I were them, I'd be more worried about Williams.

My money says that if Hayward and House look good enough, it's more likely Williams and his $8.5million doesn't make it out of TC than Shields.

Patler
03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
I agree with Guiness. In the back of my mind, I have a feeling that T.W.'s injury in 2011 was more career changing than we might think. Partly physical, partly psychological. He just doesn't look like the player we saw in 2010. Shields and House seem to be ascending players. T.W.'s time may have passed.

red
03-08-2013, 02:00 PM
ton of guys getting cut today

latest word is that the steelers are about to cut james harrison

Smeefers
03-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Oh! The Chargers just cut Atari Bigby! Time to pick up a real threat!

Joemailman
03-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Arizona releasing S Adrian Wilson. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Cardinals-releasing-S-Adrian-Wilson.html

KYPack
03-09-2013, 08:13 PM

I usually go along with our limited FA policy.

This year, there is a whole village of solid ball players out there .

T2 might scarf somebody up, given this availabilty factor.

pbmax
03-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Harrison was cut. There is an interesting debate about Boldin's status. First it was reported he refused a pay cut and was about to be released. Then he surfaced and said he was never asked for a paycut. Then the report was that the Ravens haven't decided whether he must take one or be released.

So Boldin may or may not be available by the time you read this next Tuesday. How is that for breaking news?

pbmax
03-09-2013, 08:27 PM
I usually go along with our limited FA policy.

This year, there is a whole village of solid ball players out there .

T2 might scarf somebody up, given this availabilty factor.

One of the theories is that with a tight cap and a lot of players, this will be a year for the mid-priced vet bargain shopping.

woodbuck27
03-10-2013, 01:51 PM

Here's more on the Pittsburg Steelers cutting OLB James Harrison and the strategies they've used to manage their CAP.

" Playing kick-the-can with the salary cap can lead to a disaster at some point. But the Steelers are able to get away with this institutionally for two main reasons.

One, they have a quarterback in Roethlisberger who is good enough to raise a team a level, from average to good or good to great.

Secondly, they have scouted and drafted well enough to have star players and also find contributors deep in drafts to replace players when they get too expensive." Fr. LINK below

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/10/steelers-more-willing-than-most-to-push-cap-space-into-future/

Comment woodbuck27:

Is this working for them now? IMO the Steelers must strike while the iron is hot. QB's like Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers 'only' allow their teams GM and HC a limited window of opportunity to realistically win now. Those GM's must provide a solid supporting cast for that HC and QB that matches with that limited window of time opportunity.

PACKERS !

Guiness
03-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Harrison was cut. There is an interesting debate about Boldin's status. First it was reported he refused a pay cut and was about to be released. Then he surfaced and said he was never asked for a paycut. Then the report was that the Ravens haven't decided whether he must take one or be released.

So Boldin may or may not be available by the time you read this next Tuesday. How is that for breaking news?

Reports now that Bolden's being asked to take a $2million pay cut.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/10/ravens-want-boldin-to-take-2-million-pay-cut/

Dumervil also potentially being let go if he doesn't agree to one (mmm, home of another $20million QB. I wonder if there's a link to upper-mid level players being unaffordable?). Might be a soft market for DEs, Dumervil, Freeney, Abraham, Avril and Osi all available!

OS PA
03-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Giants ink Cullen Jenkins - 3 years - $8 million
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149267/article/cullen-jenkins-signs-threeyear-contract-with-new-york-giants)

pbmax
03-10-2013, 07:06 PM
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149267/article/cullen-jenkins-signs-threeyear-contract-with-new-york-giants)

Oh good. I was afraid he was going to retire and Bretsky wouldn't be able to bring him up anymore.

Teamcheez1
03-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Waste of money. He was good five years ago.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Large man now available to clog field.

Sione Pouha (NT is a 3-4 hybrid) cut by Jets. He's 34 and missed 4 games last year, but he's 6' 3" and 325 (wikipedia). He will be placed in the bargain bin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/12/jets-will-release-sione-pouha/

denverYooper
03-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Large man now available to clog field.

Sione Pouha (NT is a 3-4 hybrid) cut by Jets. He's 34 and missed 4 games last year, but he's 6' 3" and 325 (wikipedia). He will be placed in the bargain bin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/12/jets-will-release-sione-pouha/

Last time they signed a castoff fatty from the Jets, things worked out pretty well.

pbmax
03-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Winfield released.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
RT @TomPelissero: BREAKING: #Vikings just released Antoine Winfield.

$13 mil a year Mike Wallace come on down!

hoosier
03-12-2013, 02:17 PM
I am thinking Wallace to the Vikes has all the makings of a much more expensive version of Bernard Berrian. He's not going to turn Christian Ponder into Roethlisburger, and 13 big ones is way too much to pay any wide receiver, including ones named Don Hutson, Jerry Rice, CJ and Larry Fitz. I dislike the Vikings as much as the next guy (ok, hate), but I don't exactly want to see them cripple their cap and remain non-competitive for the foreseeable future.

woodbuck27
03-12-2013, 02:46 PM
I am thinking Wallace to the Vikes has all the makings of a much more expensive version of Bernard Berrian. He's not going to turn Christian Ponder into Roethlisburger, and 13 big ones is way too much to pay any wide receiver, including ones named Don Hutson, Jerry Rice, CJ and Larry Fitz. I dislike the Vikings as much as the next guy (ok, hate), but I don't exactly want to see them cripple their cap and remain non-competitive for the foreseeable future.

If the Vikings ink Mike Wallace for in the neighborhood of $13 million$ per year....no even sign Mike Wallace. There next assignment is to find a QB that can get the ball to him.

I cannot see Mike Wallace in their future.

Smeefers
03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
If the Vikings ink Mike Wallace for in the neighborhood of $13 million$ per year....no even sign Mike Wallace. There next assignment is to find a QB that can get the ball to him.

I cannot see Mike Wallace in their future.

Yeah.. uh, I like, totally see Mike Wallace going to the Dolphins. No way he's going to the Vikings.