PDA

View Full Version : U^2: Under-the-Radar UFAs

smuggler
02-07-2013, 09:23 PM
While I'm not saying we should abandon our past management model, I feel like there are an unusual number of solid players that have reached free agency. Not superstars, but not scrap-heap reclamation projects, either.

The best strategy is to target the guys who have only the UFA-minimum 4 years under their belt. (I believe this is what we did with Pickett.)

Here are a few guys I'd like to suggest as under-the-radar solid position players:

DL: Desmond Bryant - Oakland Raiders - raw

I don't know what kind of contract this guy will be seeking, but he was a backup until this last season. He was a 2009 rookie free agent, so there's not a lot of pageantry surrounding him. He played very well once Seymour went down and he got playing time -- perhaps even outperforming the level Seymour set. He's got the ideal body and a 300 lb playing weight. Plus he's very intelligent. I hope we consider offering him a contract. Other than his play at the end of last season, he's unproven, and given that they're in a bind with regard to the cap, the Raiders are in no position to franchise him.

LB: Kaluka Maiava - Cleveland Browns - physically limited

Still young at 26, Maiava is an unspectacular, quality player. He played the outside for Cleveland last season when they ran the 4-3, but would play inside in the 3-4. I don't know if he would want to make that switch, or if the Browns want him to try. They will definitely not franchise him.

G: Geoff Schwartz - Minnesota Vikings - injury prone

He missed 2011 with a hip injury, and started the summer of 2012 with a sports hernia. The Vikings went with a different player as a starter in 2012 when the season began, though Schwartz did fill in and played about 300 snaps. He wants to be a starter, and it won't be for the Vikings, so he should be on the way out. He made $1.5 million in 2012, and probably wouldn't get much more on the open market. He might take another one year deal to try and prove he can play at his 2012 level for an entire season and stay healthy. The team that signs him will get a bargain if he can avoid the injury list.

RB: Mike Goodson - Oakland Raiders - physically limited

He's a good back, pretty good at everything but not stylish. The Raiders would be crazy to let him walk considering Darren McFadden's injury issues. However, they are in no position to franchise him, so he'll be seeing the open market. He had 35 carries for 221 yards, and 19 receptions for 195 yards. He's also a good blocking back.

What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions for value-level players that can be capable starters?

Bossman641
02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing them add Chris Ivory to the RB stable.

rbaloha1
02-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Pass

smuggler
02-07-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure on Ivory. He has an injury history himself, and that's been an issue with our team of late -- a big issue. He's a bruiser, though, and he's definitely talented. I just sort of suspect that his injury problem will never be resolved until he retires.

Derp

Thanks for the input.

Edit: Ivory is a RFA, so he's out. No way we'll spend cash and a pick.

Bretsky
02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Pass

Good thread idea; would love Ivory but he won't be cheap enough for TT likes at RB

Perhaps we should parley this thread into a predict which two bottom end FA's TT signs for Minumum wage give 250,000. Can anybody read into TT's mind to figure out who is this years one or two Anthony Hargroves ? HMMM

smuggler
02-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Well, this thread wasn't intended just for players that the Packers would sign, but the most underrated players who are UFAs. We probably won't be signing anyone who qualifies, because nobody is that underrated.

rbaloha1
02-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Find me sumo wrestlers.

Very familiar with Maiava -- good st player. Not the answer at ilb

3irty1
02-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Find me sumo wrestlers.

Very familiar with Maiava -- good st player. Not the answer at ilb

Sammie Lee Hill could hit free agency. He's pretty much what you want. 330 lbs of quality starting material, great athlete, 26 years old. He's lost in the shuffle at Detroit.

Joemailman
02-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Sammie Lee Hill could hit free agency. He's pretty much what you want. 330 lbs of quality starting material, great athlete, 26 years old. He's lost in the shuffle at Detroit.

That's a guy I wanted the Packers to draft going into the 2009 draft. He ended up being pick #115, and the Packers took T.J. Lang at #109. The Packers were a little short on picks that year because of the trade up to get Clay Matthews.

rbaloha1
02-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Sounds good -- maybe he learned some stuff from Suh.

What is Corey Williams status?

Joemailman
02-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Corey Williams is a UFA.

KYPack
02-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Corey Williams is a UFA.

Cory can't play in a 30 front to save his life.

He's a 3 tech in a 40 front and is probably done.

mraynrand
02-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Corey Williams is a UFA.

Uff da!

Fritz
02-08-2013, 10:47 AM

So of the two DL's - Hill and Bryant - are they nose tackles or ends? And which would be cheaper? And which is a better player?

Joemailman
02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
So of the two DL's - Hill and Bryant - are they nose tackles or ends? And which would be cheaper? And which is a better player?

Hill played DE his junior and senior years of college. I'm not sure how the Lions were using him. He was a 4th round pick, so he's never made real big money. Made 1.2 million with the Lions last year.

smuggler
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM

Bryant can't play nose. He's only 300. He'd probably be cheaper, I'd guess, since he has less sustained success.

3irty1
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Sounds good -- maybe he learned some stuff from Suh.

What is Corey Williams status?

Suh is a midget, you wouldn't want him.

Williams is a 1-gap guy like Worthy. I don't think he's the guy we're missing.

3irty1
02-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Hill played DE his junior and senior years of college. I'm not sure how the Lions were using him. He was a 4th round pick, so he's never made real big money. Made 1.2 million with the Lions last year.

He made a decent rookie impact but ever since they've stack up on the DL he's a situational run stuffer. IMO he'd be a great fit.

rbaloha1
02-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Suh is a midget, you wouldn't want him.

Williams is a 1-gap guy like Worthy. I don't think he's the guy we're missing.

Biggest midget I have ever stood next to.