PDA

View Full Version : An Article: NFL Preseason Pleases No One

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Monday, August 21, 2006

NFL Preseason Pleases No One

By Bob Ekstrom

Players hate it, but they hate everything about August. Coaches hate it — they're damned by the media if they play their starters and damned by fans if they don't. Major League Baseball hates it, since their summer monopoly is at an end.

It is the NFL's preseason, that time of year when wide receivers wear jerseys numbered into the 90s and that boorish season ticket-holding neighbor wants to befriend you in the hope of divesting himself of those two unwanted stubs in the front of this year's pack.

Last weekend ushered in the 2007 edition with a full schedule of exhibitions amid a growing voice of opposition. In the Hall of Fame game, a sobering neck injury to Eagles running back Bruce Perry had dropped players to their knees in prayer before the first week even got underway. And with the injury list claiming at least one marquee player, opponents have pushed the envelope to more boisterous levels than ever before as they play before a newly-elected commissioner in their audience.

NBC wasted no time. Five days after Roger Goodell's election, the network found an opportunity during its debut broadcast Sunday night to weigh in on the game with which it has yet to become reacquainted. Four NBC mouthpieces conducted a poll among themselves as to what changes they would institute if elected Commissioner.

Against the backdrop of Pro Bowl running back Clinton Portis in street clothes after partially dislocating his left shoulder earlier in the evening, Al Michaels espoused the network's — errrr, his — disdain for the four-game preseason, opting instead for two additional regular season games.

NBC may get high grades for ingenuity and a "nice try" from its peers at CBS, FOX, and ESPN, but not much more. After all, Commissioner-Elect Goodell now answers to all 32 people in this country who love preseason football. For those who own an NFL franchise, the economics are infallible: 10 gates for the payroll of eight.

Besides, owners will point out, they have steadily conceded on this issue through the decades. Four games have been added to the regular season schedule since 1960, while two exhibitions have been cut. Goodell should find the chore of asking Portis to play 20 games for 16 paychecks a bit less demanding than that of his predecessor, Pete Rozelle. In his first year as Commissioner, Rozelle extracted 18 games from the likes of Ray Nitschke, while paying him for only 12.

For his part, Portis managed to find the prize in the Cracker Jack with his realization that he will not have to play another exhibition this season. As he commented upon leaving Redskins Park Sunday night, "I don't know why myself or any other player of my caliber should be playing in the preseason."

Portis will be joined on the sidelines by teammates Chris Clemons and Kerry Carter, who were also lost in Sunday's contest. NFL.com reports that Clemons, a reserve linebacker, sprained a ligament in his left knee and will miss four to six weeks. Carter, a reserve running back who was looking at extended play time in the wake of Portis' injury, managed but one quarter in that role before tearing two ligaments in his right knee. He is lost for the season.

As is Chad Greenway, the Vikings' first-round draft pick, who sustained an undisclosed knee injury during a kickoff in the Monday night finale to Week 1. San Diego kick returner Darren Sproles figures to miss several weeks after breaking a fibula in the Chargers' first exhibition win. Nor is there any word yet on the return of Bears' safety Mike Brown after his first-game Achilles' tendon injury last Friday.

With only one practice week in the books, critics wonder what the remaining exhibition schedule may have in store. Memories strike fear as they await the sequel to 2005's Rex Grossman, 2004's Jon Jansen, or 2003's Michael Vick. For them, the September 7 regular season kickoff cannot come fast enough. Somehow, a Vinny Testaverde-like season-ending injury is more palatable on Opening Day than in the preseason.

Defenders will argue that the exhibition slate provides a needed period of assessment as big-league rosters are filled out; that injuries occurring in games that count are no less devastating than in games that do not; that the preseason absorbs IR time resulting from offseason surgeries and early season injuries that would otherwise displace regular season games. The latter is certainly the case with Portis, who may miss no regular season action at all.

Nonetheless, at 25% the length of its regular schedule, the NFL preseason is the relative longest of the four major sports. Major League Baseball, at about 20%, is a distant second, even with Grapefruit and Cactus League schedules riddled with split-squad games and 25-man rosters riddled with stars quick to pass up a long bus ride.

So, what should our new Commish do about the preseason once he assumes office?

Al Michaels' Regular Season in August would do wonders in NBC's battle with Desperate Housewives, but the rest of the country is still vacuuming their swimming pools and changing air conditioner filters. Perhaps the NFL could adopt a dual approach similar to MLB, whereby Portis and those of his "caliber" could play in one state where bus rides are optional, while the rank-and-file could fight among themselves for the practice squad openings in another.

Better yet, maybe what Roger Goodell really needs is for Ray Nitschke to come around one more time and tell everyone to just suck it up.

FritzDontBlitz
08-22-2006, 03:57 PM
mike ditka was on espn in the "open mike" segment he's in with michael irvin. "da coach" said preseason games are necessary to get returning players up to game speed in a live environment. ditka's reasoning was the only way players get in game shape is by doing the real thing: running, hitting, tackling, etc in order to test the muscles and make sure their bodies are ready for the regular season. he stated that players can run in a straight line and weight lift all they want, but if they skip preseason entirely they'll only end up getting injured by the 3rd regular season game due to lack of proper conditioning in a game environment. ditka concluded that the best way to protect the veterans from preseason injuries is to limit their participation to 2 quarters per game or less.

i agree wit da coach.

KYPack
08-22-2006, 04:17 PM
I think the league is heading in this direction.

They wanna have 18 regular season games & two pre-season.

The schedule is kind of sorting itself out that way now. In pre-season, most teams only play hard twice. The second and third games involve some play by both teams first teams. The first & last pre games are total throw-aways.

If they do (& they will) go to 18 games, there are all kinds of issues to work out:

-The league will extort more money from the Networks.

-Likewise, the player will want more money for the two extra games.

- Do you start the season in mid August or back the SB into the end of Feb?

There's lots of issues to work out.

It's gonna happen, it's only a question of when.

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 04:27 PM
"Do you start the season in mid August or back the SB into the end of Feb?" ... KYPack

Is there any doubt what Packer fans would vote for? :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! FAITH in 2006 !!

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't be so sure that it will happen anytime soon. Here's why:

1) The 16 game schedule works perfectly with the 32 team league.
2) I don't think the NFL is losing money on preseason games. Think about this: they pay street FAs very little to play these games--while the guys with the big contracts get paid for regular season games. Their costs are way down. Now, the NFL is such a cash cow that most teams sellout their preseason games. They might lose a little on TV rights, but part of it is recouped from the player costs (a player that makes $8M/year is going to get another $1M to play two more regular season games).
3) You stated that two games is all that is needed to get the starters ready for the regular season, but they still need a couple of weeks to evaluate the players at the bottom end of the roster.

KYPack
08-22-2006, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't be so sure that it will happen anytime soon. Here's why:

1) The 16 game schedule works perfectly with the 32 team league.
2) I don't think the NFL is losing money on preseason games. Think about this: they pay street FAs very little to play these games--while the guys with the big contracts get paid for regular season games. Their costs are way down. Now, the NFL is such a cash cow that most teams sellout their preseason games. They might lose a little on TV rights, but part of it is recouped from the player costs (a player that makes $8M/year is going to get another $1M to play two more regular season games).
3) You stated that two games is all that is needed to get the starters ready for the regular season, but they still need a couple of weeks to evaluate the players at the bottom end of the roster.

I actually agree with a lot of this, espec point 2.

I think 18 game season is a lock when the current TV deal begins to wind down. Say 09, 10. The owners will soak the networks for the extra games. if they moved now, there would be very little additional revenue.

As far as needing the games to cut the squad, I totally disagree. Don't feel like a big argument, but you can figure the keepers and cuts without two additional meaningless games.

Scott Campbell
08-22-2006, 06:43 PM
(a player that makes $8M/year is going to get another $1M to play two more regular season games).

I don't think that's how it works. They are paid 1/16th of their salary every week. With 2 more games they'd be paid 1/18th of their salary every week.

I'll await Patler's confirmation.

Scott Campbell
08-22-2006, 06:45 PM
As far as needing the games to cut the squad, I totally disagree. Don't feel like a big argument, but you can figure the keepers and cuts without two additional meaningless games.

I'm not sure about needing the games either. But the OTA's would become MUCH more important. And it might be nice to start camp a week earlier too.

Creepy
08-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Lets see the week starts this Sunday. Green hasn't played and we don't even know if he can take a hit. Gado is coming back after a mild strain, Hawk is catching on, but needs alittle more play.

You want to take it down to 3 I may agree, but less is dumb. Players are hurt in TC and come back late in pre-seasona and show what they got. Beyond the starters, who knows what you got. Ruvell Martin is gone, because he played littel in two agmes and it is the begining.

Teams are cutting players, but without any film who do you pick up? I know, anybody from the a conteneding team as all there cast offs would be better than yours. Poppinga is cut since White has played so well, or do you cut White and find out Poppinga isn't back yet?

Players will not play 18 games and receive smaller pay checks for those games. They will want more money because of the increase in games. I don't really like pre-season games because they mean nothing in the standings, but I do like seeing some of the new guys.

Without games 3 & 4, who do you start at safety, Culver or Manual? Tough decision, who does GB look at if only two pre-season games to maybe become the 3d safety?

The third pre-season game will have starters playing anywhere from a half to 3 quarters. The last pre-season game is to decide who you want to keep and who is on the final cut. At the same time other teams are looking at evrybody else to see if there is somebody they can grab.

For the starters and big money player these last two games mean nothing. To guys trying to make teams it may bethe last chance to play in the NFL. Lets give them a chance. Really think the Chiefs would have kept Gado after two games last year? May be another player out there that can help us, to inlcude kickers and WRs.