PDA

View Full Version : HR Monitors

denverYooper
02-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Any workout Rats have a preferred HR monitor or particular brand they like? I have a $40 credit at amazon and I'm thinking about getting an HR monitor in the $50-100 range.

I'm currently considering one of the Polar FT4, RS100, or RS300X. I am leaning a bit toward the 300X because it can be expanded with footpod or GPS but I don't know... the prices on the FT4/RS100 are pretty friendly.

HowardRoark
02-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a question for Patial.

MadtownPacker
02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Im always concerned about Human Resources monitoring shit!!

SkinBasket
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
I prefer the IFRH.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/Index_finger.JPG

Also known as the index finger, right hand. It's free and it tells me all I need to know. Granted, what I need to know is if I'm dying or not, so the simplicity suits my needs.

denverYooper
02-11-2013, 12:23 PM
I prefer the IFRH.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/Index_finger.JPG

Also known as the index finger, right hand. It's free and it tells me all I need to know. Granted, what I need to know is if I'm dying or not, so the simplicity suits my needs.

I generally just get a 6 second neck pulse too and that gives me good estimate within 10 bpm. For the most part, that works ok but I'm looking to drop my 10K time this year and am looking for a bit finer resolution on my longer range training paces.

hoosier
02-11-2013, 01:06 PM
I opened this because I figured it was a thread about high school: homeroom and hall monitors. I haven't thought about hall monitors in eons. I bought a heart monitor years ago, used it for about a year (basically to see if I could get the same cardio from biking as from running) and, once I got the answer, I stopped using it altogether. So I guess you can tell that my answer would be "buy the one that goes for $39.99."

HowardRoark
02-11-2013, 01:54 PM
That reminds me; I need to get checked for colon cancer.

denverYooper
02-11-2013, 02:48 PM
I opened this because I figured it was a thread about high school: homeroom and hall monitors. I haven't thought about hall monitors in eons. I bought a heart monitor years ago, used it for about a year (basically to see if I could get the same cardio from biking as from running) and, once I got the answer, I stopped using it altogether. So I guess you can tell that my answer would be "buy the one that goes for $39.99."

That's where I'm going with it: something cheap to figure out whether or not I am going to use the extra data to tune my training further or not. Right now I pretty much alternate high intensity sprint/lift days with recovery run days.

mraynrand
02-11-2013, 04:09 PM
I thought you were looking into a High Resolution Monitor. Do they even make CRTs anymore?

George Cumby
02-11-2013, 04:20 PM
That's where I'm going with it: something cheap to figure out whether or not I am going to use the extra data to tune my training further or not. Right now I pretty much alternate high intensity sprint/lift days with recovery run days.

I think you are on the right track. My experience is that it's kind of fun initially, but then it gets to be a hassle. I just go by feel anymore.