PDA

View Full Version : Nick Barnett

rbaloha1
02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Should the Packers giving Barnett another chance given the recent cut?

red
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Why?

Him getting dumped by one of the worst teams in the nfl just confirms that the decision for us to get rid of him was the right move

Hawk already beat out barnett one time, so why would we bring him in to replace hawk?

Joemailman
02-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Why?

Him getting dumped by one of the worst teams in the nfl just confirms that the decision for us to get rid of him was the right move

Hawk already beat out barnett one time, so why would we bring him in to replace hawk?

Barnett did not compete with Hawk. Hawk and Barnett played together until Barnett got hurt in 2010 and was replaced by Bishop. Barnett was released the following offseason. I don't thing Barnett is physical enough to play in a 3-4 defense, especially one that employs only 2 defensive linemen most of the time.

The Shadow
02-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Pass.
Never thought he was all that the first time around.

red
02-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Barnett did not compete with Hawk. Hawk and Barnett played together until Barnett got hurt in 2010 and was replaced by Bishop. Barnett was released the following offseason. I don't thing Barnett is physical enough to play in a 3-4 defense, especially one that employs only 2 defensive linemen most of the time.

it was a given that bishop was going to be a starter the next season, the question became which of the other two would be the other guy. hawk got a new contract, barnett was kicked to the curb.

so the packers wanted hawk and not barnett. so, like i said, why would they bring nick back to replace hawk

Guiness
02-11-2013, 11:27 PM
it was a given that bishop was going to be a starter the next season, the question became which of the other two would be the other guy. hawk got a new contract, barnett was kicked to the curb.

so the packers wanted hawk and not barnett. so, like i said, why would they bring nick back to replace hawk

I dunno. Does he weigh more? There's a line of thinking that's important...

Iron Mike
02-12-2013, 07:17 AM
<==mental image of Barnett chasing Gore/Kaepernick 50 yards towards the end zone and giving up the last 15 yards. Instant migraine.

rbaloha1
02-12-2013, 08:04 AM
I dunno. Does he weigh more? There's a line of thinking that's important...

Dude has bulked up a bit and yes it is important along with playing with a nasty attitude. Loved NB's feistiness and leadership.

IMO if he can pass a physical and signs at an extremely good cap friendly number -- sign um braddah.

pbmax
02-12-2013, 08:51 AM
memory fail. Barnett never made it to camp that year.

mraynrand
02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Barnett was a great athlete, and with that athleticism, he compensated for a lack of football instincts. Nick made a lot of false steps, getting himself out of position, thus requiring 'outstanding pursuit' to make the play that should have been made with the first read. I can't imagine that improving with loss of physical skills, but who knows? I haven't watched him play much. Perhaps he's improved his reads/instinct and can now play great inside. But then why would Buffalo release him? No thank you.

Patler
02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Should the Packers giving Barnett another chance given the recent cut?

Fair question, let's look at some of the facts involved:

- Barnett will be 32 before the start of training camp.
- He was a leader on D in Buffalo, making just $3.5 million for next year, yet they let him go.
- Buffalo officially listed him as "failed physical"

Those three factors alone argue for nothing more than a minimum wage contract for a "tryout" in TC; like they did with a few D-lineman last year.

But then, consider also the following:
- Bishop and Smith return next year.
- TT traded up to get Manning, who had sort of a lost rookie year, starting with significant illness in TC.
- they have cheaper alternatives for backups, guys with proven ST play (Jones, Francois, Lattimer, etc)
- GB could have kept Barnett and released either Hawk or Bishop two years ago, but opted for Hawk & Bishop.
- LB could be a target for draft day by GB.
- Barnett was no longer wanted by a team needing to improve on defense.

They should want better than him as a starter, and for backups they need guys who play Special teams and/or have upside potential. Barnett seems more like a guy to keep track of, who could be brought in and gotten up to speed quickly if there are a rash of injuries to linebackers during the season.

mraynrand
02-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Barnett seems more like a guy to keep track of, who could be brought in and gotten up to speed quickly when there are a rash of injuries to linebackers during the season.

fify. good post

pbmax
02-12-2013, 11:41 AM

- He was a leader on D in Buffalo, making just $3.5 million for next year, yet they let him go.

Those three factors alone argue for nothing more than a minimum wage contract for a "tryout" in TC; like they did with a few D-lineman last year.

- TT traded up to get Manning, who had sort of a lost rookie year, starting with significant illness in TC.
- they have cheaper alternatives for backups, guys with proven ST play (Jones, Francois, Lattimer, etc)
- GB could have kept Barnett and released either Hawk or Bishop two years ago, but opted for Hawk & Bishop.

They should want better than him as a starter, and for backups they need guys who play Special teams and/or have upside potential. Barnett seems more like a guy to keep track of, who could be brought in and gotten up to speed quickly if there are a rash of injuries to linebackers during the season.

This analysis does not take into account the fact that the dude clearly bulked up a bit.

Patler
02-12-2013, 12:13 PM

This analysis does not take into account the fact that the dude clearly bulked up a bit.

How does any increased bulk change any of the factors I listed?

- Does it make him younger?
- Does it change his salary or any of the other conditions resulting in his release by Buffalo?
- Does it change his physical condition at his exit exam which lead to a designation of "failed physical"?
- Does it change anything about the Packers needs and/or other possible starters?
- Does it change anything about the younger and/or cheaper alternatives available for backup/ST roles?
- Does it really change his suitability for a reserve role?
- With him, would it really change the Packers thinking for the draft?
- Does it change the fact that a bad defense let a relatively inexpensive team leader go?

Maybe it would have a minimal impact on a Hawk/Barnett comparison, but that's about it. I doubt it makes him fit their desires for a starter or their ideals for a reserve.

In my opinion, a few extra pounds doesn't change the Packers interest in him.

sharpe1027
02-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Exactly. The Packers clearly need more weight on the field so they can become more physical. Who currently weighs more, Hawk or Barnett?

Patler
02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Exactly. The Packers clearly need more weight on the field so they can become more physical. Who currently weighs more, Hawk or Barnett?

The Bills listed Barnett at 228 last year.

sharpe1027
02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
The Bills listed Barnett at 228 last year.

Then Hawk is clearly the more physical. ;)

smuggler
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Barnett's knee is lost in outer space somewhere. So, even if we wanted him injury notwithstanding, he can't play.

pbmax
02-12-2013, 01:01 PM
In my opinion, a few extra pounds doesn't change the Packers interest in him.

Easy Patler. I am not actually critiquing your breakdown of the issues involved.

I am tweaking rbaloha's current fascination with weight, toughness and Thompson's clearly treasonous disregard for large players to combat the twin Western menaces; San Francisco and Seattle.

Zool
02-12-2013, 01:03 PM
No thank you to NB. He was slow at reading plays before and he's slower now at reacting once he does finally figure out what's going on. No more dragging down running backs 8 yards down field for him.

KYPack
02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
I know.

I didn't care for Nick that much when he was with us in his prime.

Going into his 11th season and he fails his exit physical? Guys like that are against TT's religion.

Patler
02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Easy Patler. I am not actually critiquing your breakdown of the issues involved.

I am tweaking rbaloha's current fascination with weight, toughness and Thompson's clearly treasonous disregard for large players to combat the twin Western menaces; San Francisco and Seattle.

Ya, I kind of figured that after I submitted my reply, but I didn't have the heart to completely delete my reply. Typing is a big investment of time for me!! :smile:

Cheesehead Craig
02-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Good thread for some laughs. Signing Nick Barnett... *snicker*

rbaloha1
02-12-2013, 06:57 PM

I am more fascinated by the butt wiping brigade.

The weight issue is from Mcginn's article. If you have an issue with it e-mail BM and let him know you are part of the butt wiping brigade.

rbaloha1
02-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Good thread for some laughs. Signing Nick Barnett... *snicker*

Hopefully NB uses his samurai sword on your cheesehead.

rbaloha1
02-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Then Hawk is clearly the more physical. ;)

What is your weight? Bet you weigh more than Hawk.

red
02-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Hopefully NB uses his samurai sword on your cheesehead.

THATS ALL BARNETT HAD

he did his fancy celebration 3 or 4 times a year he he did something good, and thats all people will remember. not the other 95% of the time when he was taking shitty angles and bouncing off ball carriers.

just like atari bigby. people still think he could play based on his 2 big hits a year he had

its all about the flash

rbaloha1
02-12-2013, 07:11 PM
THATS ALL BARNETT HAD

he did his fancy celebration 3 or 4 times a year he he did something good, and thats all people will remember. not the other 95% of the time when he was taking shitty angles and bouncing off ball carriers.

just like atari bigby. people still think he could play based on his 2 big hits a year he had

its all about the flash

what did ray lewis have this past season?

MadtownPacker
02-12-2013, 07:22 PM
I am more fascinated by the butt wiping brigade.

The weight issue is from Mcginn's article. If you have an issue with it e-mail BM and let him know you are part of the butt wiping brigade.
Time to calm the fuck down friend.

Guiness
02-12-2013, 07:58 PM
THATS ALL BARNETT HAD

its all about the flash

My lasting memory of of him was a game vs the Vikings. Culpepper rolled out, and started to pull the ball down. NB was in coverage, and broke off. Culpepper pulled up, dumped the ball over NBs head to the now open receiver for a big gain.

I know that's not entirely fair, but left an imprint in my mind.

I wonder how much action he'll get? Much more than the vet minimum? Can't see there being much more market for him than there was for, say Benson last offseason.

mraynrand
02-12-2013, 08:35 PM
what did ray lewis have this past season?

A very good team around him.

I really hope you're not comparing Barnett favorably to Lewis

KYPack
02-12-2013, 09:21 PM
My lasting memory of of him was a game vs the Vikings. Culpepper rolled out, and started to pull the ball down. NB was in coverage, and broke off. Culpepper pulled up, dumped the ball over NBs head to the now open receiver for a big gain.

I know that's not entirely fair, but left an imprint in my mind.

I wonder how much action he'll get? Much more than the vet minimum? Can't see there being much more market for him than there was for, say Benson last offseason.
That's exactly who I thought of. NB is most like Benson. A servicable vet who needs to line up a situation.
He'll sign with somebody who needs a guy like him for a back-up role.
Vet min or a little bit more.

rbaloha1
02-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Time to calm the fuck down friend.

shove it you know where.

rbaloha1
02-12-2013, 09:54 PM
A very good team around him.

I really hope you're not comparing Barnett favorably to Lewis

its what the packers need LOL:flag:

sharpe1027
02-12-2013, 11:41 PM
What is your weight? Bet you weigh more than Hawk.

One eighty. I am not very physical and bet lost.

George Cumby
02-13-2013, 12:49 AM
shove it you know where.

Sheesh, I thought that wacky-tobaccy was supposed to chill folks out. :-D

rbaloha1
02-13-2013, 07:57 AM
One eighty. I am not very physical and bet lost.

my eye

rbaloha1
02-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Sheesh, I thought that wacky-tobaccy was supposed to chill folks out. :-D

nah -- may have othda kine stuff

Cheesehead Craig
02-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Yip Yip Yip Yip Yip Yip

Little doggie just keeps on barking to hear himself bark. Move along little doggie.

rbaloha1
02-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Little doggie just keeps on barking to hear himself bark. Move along little doggie.

Go jack off to Beyonce's super bowl halftime show...

MadtownPacker
02-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Well Im glad this thread took a turn for the better. :lol:

Joemailman
02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
shove it you know where.

Well Im glad this thread took a turn for the better. :lol:

You gonna take that from that pineapple juice-sipping Hawaiian?

sharpe1027
02-13-2013, 06:06 PM

Personally, I think it's more likely that he is posting from his mom's basement in Antigo, although he may be wearing a Hawaiian shirt... ;)

MadtownPacker
02-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Sorry Charlie but you Crackas have desensitized me to the point that I don't even notice insults that are lacking profanity.

KYPack
02-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Viva la raza.

red
02-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Viva la raza.

yeah, that could be mad

http://www.thewrestlingrevolution.com/images/wrestlers/eddieGuerrero2.jpg

woodbuck27
02-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Nick Barnett = retirement.