PDA

View Full Version : Woodson to be released

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Woodson's Packers career may be over

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130215/PKR0101/130215027/Woodson-s-Packers-career-may-over

woodbuck27
02-15-2013, 11:00 AM
This seems like a logical move.

Patler
02-15-2013, 11:19 AM
When an old and expensive veteran misses the better part of a season to injury, the team learns exactly what it will be like to play without him. It is then easy for them to evaluate how much better they can be with him and if his salary is worth it.

$10 million is a lot. Not surprising if he is released.

red
02-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Not surprising, but still dissapointing

hoosier
02-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Chuck earned every penny of his $50 or 60 million from 2006-13. Best FA signing since Reggie White, and certainly the most pleasant FA surprise in Packer history.

sharpe1027
02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
$10 million is a lot. Not surprising if he is released.

Yeah, if it was closer to $1 million than to $10 million, then they may have kept him (like they did with Driver).

RashanGary
02-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Well, the change has begun. Who's next?

woodbuck27
02-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Yeah, if it was closer to $1 million than to $10 million, then they may have kept him (like they did with Driver).

Keeping DD was for TT 'a rare' PR move with good reason.

Donald Driver is extremely popular with the fans and there was a bonus. DD was on top of his world and riding the wave of popularity after winnig Dancing With The Stars.

RashanGary
02-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Burnett playing SS seems like the more natural fit. A FS in the draft just became a bigger need than it already was. I've heard this is an excellent year for safeties, so maybe we're in luck.

Fosco33
02-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Do I have to change my avatar now??

In reality - 9m vs. cap is too much. I just hope he either retires or goes to the AFC. Loved his play and attitude!

Pack will miss the leadership.

woodbuck27
02-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Burnett playing SS seems like the more natural fit. A FS in the draft just became a bigger need than it already was. I've heard this is an excellent year for safeties, so maybe we're in luck.

2013 Free Agents @ Safety:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/15/3858582/2013-nfl-free-agents-safeties

Smeefers
02-15-2013, 01:03 PM
The article said he wanted to go play for another super bowl contender. Well jeez, good luck getting signed on if you're going to ask for 10 mil. The pay cut they were asking for must have been extremely significant if all he wants is another shot at the ring. If you ask me, Woodson for 4 mil would have been a steal, but I don't know if he was willing to take that kind of cut, but I think we would have paid somewhere around that.

This is perfect timing to let him go, everyone still feels good about how Driver left, Wood hasn't said anything negative and a lot of people saw this writing on the wall, so it's not a kick in the junk. Am I an asshole for thinking that way?

Best part is that this free's up some serious cash for Rodgers.

Well, I'll miss the guy. Wish him the best.

sharpe1027
02-15-2013, 01:10 PM
There is still a possibility that he resigns with us if he can't find a super bowl contender willing to pay him.

smuggler
02-15-2013, 01:14 PM
It probably wasn't just a matter of money. If they told him his snapcount would be reduced, he probably would prefer an outright release.

RashanGary
02-15-2013, 01:44 PM
2013 Free Agents @ Safety:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/15/3858582/2013-nfl-free-agents-safeties

We just cut a HOFer due to our need to keep the stars we have on the roster. I don't know if big money free agency makes a lot of sense considering the context surrounding the cutting of Woodson.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-15-2013, 02:56 PM
HOFer without a doubt and I would even go as far as to say one of the best players in packer history. I understand why he has to go, but doesn't change the fact that he will be missed. Fun player to watch play.

red
02-15-2013, 05:55 PM

Really?

I haven't seen any safety prospects that impress me at all

King Friday
02-15-2013, 06:44 PM
We just cut a HOFer due to our need to keep the stars we have on the roster. I don't know if big money free agency makes a lot of sense considering the context surrounding the cutting of Woodson.

We aren't in a horrible cap situation. $10M is obviously way too much for a guy who can't play 16 games anymore, has clearly lost a step in coverage, and who did not prove to be irreplaceable this season. We do now need another starting safety...and if you can find a guy who is younger and more capable than Woodson is now for $5-7M, I would consider it. Few safeties come into the league as rookies and make an immediate impact. With the window for titles wide open, Thompson should at least consider the capable FAs rather than count on drafting Woodson's replacement.

Byrd is a very solid player. He is probably worth $6-7M a year and is entering the prime of his career. No one knows who he is because he plays on a horrible team...but I find it hard not to think of him as impressive.

Joemailman
02-15-2013, 07:15 PM
It's hard to imagine Buffalo wouldn't franchise Byrd if they need to. Same thing with Dashon Goldson of SF.

pbmax
02-15-2013, 07:19 PM
At first I was
:shock:

But then I was
:smack:

And then I was
:talk:

Then fell into
:alc:

Before settling on
:tup:

But I will miss him. Freelancing aside, he was worth the risks and paid off the risk in signing him in spades. He worked with McCarthy and became a leader in the locker room. Very happy he played for the Packers. Can't see him getting $5 mil or above from another team, so the pay cut ask must have been steep.

Joemailman
02-15-2013, 07:38 PM
1,2,3 Whitehouse!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQQ-_dVUBsg

Farley Face
02-15-2013, 08:23 PM
It was noted in the press release today that the Packers did not approach Woodson about reducing his pay. It got me to wondering, have the Packers of the TT era ever asked a player to take a pay cut to stay on with the club? I can't recall a single instance where they did.

smuggler
02-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Pretty sure they did this with Driver either last year or the year before.

swede
02-15-2013, 10:13 PM
It was noted in the press release today that the Packers did not approach Woodson about reducing his pay. It got me to wondering, have the Packers of the TT era ever asked a player to take a pay cut to stay on with the club? I can't recall a single instance where they did.

That's a good observation. TT handles business in a certain way. Release the player straight up (Harris, Flynn, Barnett) or let the player have a good clear look at what other teams will pay them before negotiating a truly market-driven contract with no hard feelings (James Jones).

As Patler pointed out earlier, the Driver contract was an anomaly in the TT era.

To my untrained eye Woodson clearly slipped in 2011, and, when he finally returned in 2012, all the football intelligence in the world couldn't give his old legs enough of a head start to consistently get him where he needed to be on the football field.

The team will say the all the right things but they know that what he was is not the same as what he is.

King Friday
02-15-2013, 10:26 PM
To my untrained eye Woodson clearly slipped in 2011, and, when he finally returned in 2012, all the football intelligence in the world couldn't give his old legs enough of a head start to consistently get him where he needed to be on the football field.

I agree Swede.

He was awful grabby this year...and it will only get worse as his athleticism continues to decline. Add that to the recent injury history, and it probably would be the right time to release him regardless of his contract amount. He heads into 2013 much as Driver was heading into 2012...on the verge of falling off the cliff. It happens, unfortunately. I loved having him here while it lasted. He was a great player, and will be yet another Packer to be enshrined in Canton someday.

Guiness
02-15-2013, 11:36 PM

Agreed. Methinks he should devote himself full time to
http://www.twentyfourwines.com/
I think I'm going to swing by there. I wonder if he's around in the offseason?

pbmax
02-16-2013, 08:34 AM

Darren Sharper was asked to take a cut.

Smeefers
02-16-2013, 09:00 AM
AJ Hawk was cut and then resigned.

Pugger
02-16-2013, 11:34 AM
I suspect Woodson will be disappointed in the offers he will get from any of the top teams. He is the best FA we ever signed since Reggie. It will be great to have another wonderful Packer in the HOF. He is a shareholder so maybe he'll be invited to the BOD after he retires joining Paup and Johnnie Gray along with Murphy and Al Toon.

Teamcheez1
02-16-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm sure there have been plenty of players who have been asked to take pay cuts, but it has not been played out in public. I can see agents informally testing the waters with Packer management to see what their options are. The Packer way is not to bloviate abut contracts and players like the Jets and other organizations. It may seem cold, but that's the nature of this business.

Guiness
02-16-2013, 01:00 PM
I've seen a lot of the National media trying to guess where Woodson lands. None of them mention the Packers at all, which seems odd to me. They have to know he's been cut because of an exorbiante cap number, not because the Pack doesn't want him.

I'd guess there's still a chance he ends up in Green Bay this coming season. It's at least as likely as anywhere else, because I don't see any teams opening up the bank vault for him, they way they will if Baltimore lets Flacco hit the open market.

Bretsky
02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
If you read into TT's press release it sounds like a clear thank you and best wishes in your new home

George Cumby
02-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Sad to see him go, but it was time.

Tony Oday
02-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Cut an injury prone stud that lost two steps. Love the guy but he should get ready to coach.

Fritz
02-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Funny how the JSO ripped TT for hanging on to Driver a year too long, when one of their complaints about TT is that he's too cold and heartless.

KYPack
02-17-2013, 02:42 PM
There are articles on PFT today. Both the Raider and Panther beat writers say those clubs should sign CW.

Kiwon
02-17-2013, 03:42 PM
There are articles on PFT today. Both the Raider and Panther beat writers say those clubs should sign CW.

So what do you suppose Woodson wants more, money or a legit shot at a championship?

If it's the latter, I don't know if Oakland or Carolina would interest him.

George Cumby
02-18-2013, 07:53 PM
So what do you suppose Woodson wants more, money or a legit shot at a championship?

If it's the latter, I don't know if Oakland or Carolina would interest him.

I just don't see him signing with either club. Neither is good enough and I would imagine he still bears some animosity for the team which smeared him so badly.

Guiness
02-18-2013, 09:20 PM
He has stated he wants a shot at championship. I don't see him considering many teams that were not in playoffs this year. Trying to think of a non-playoff team that could be considered to have talent to go to the next level, and nothing much comes to mind. An NFC East team maybe, Giants, Eagles or Cowboys are all thought to have underperformed last year, so maybe them, but it's a slim maybe. If I was to pick another non-playoff team, maybe the Saints?

If Reed had decided to retire, I'd say Baltimore would be a good choice.

Pugger
02-19-2013, 08:03 AM
But will any of these playoff teams be willing to offer him the kind of coin he got from us last season? His presence in the locker room is great but his skills on the gridiron are not what they once were. I'm thinking Charles may get a rude awakening once FA begins.

Guiness
02-19-2013, 01:19 PM
But will any of these playoff teams be willing to offer him the kind of coin he got from us last season? His presence in the locker room is great but his skills on the gridiron are not what they once were. I'm thinking Charles may get a rude awakening once FA begins.

No, he won't get near what we gave him last year. Maybe half?

Trying to divinate what is going on, I think the Woodson situation is like the Jennings one, and the team didn't make an offer at all because they think they can get along without him.

Fritz
02-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Nate Burleson of the Lions made a public pitch for Woodson (and Reggie Bush) a couple days ago.

swede
02-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Nate Burleson of the Lions made a public pitch for Woodson (and Reggie Bush) a couple days ago.

Odd that he didn't make a public pitch for Jennings...;)

run pMc
02-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Everyone saw this coming, right?
No sane GM is going to keep an aging CB-turned-S with a ~$10M cap figure and a history of collarbone and shoulder injuries on the roster.

TT is releasing him now to give him a chance to sign elsewhere. He's a proud guy but his speed is gone; he's not a starter at Cb and wants to freelance/play hunches too much to be a reliable S. (I can still see Frank Gore outrunning him in the divisional playoff.) If they bring him back it's because none of the other safeties they have or draft can play, which is scary bad.

What kind of contract does TT offer him that is neither a slap in CW's face nor overpaying for an aging backup? Complain about Hawk and his contract, but he's a starter. I'm not convinced Woodson would be next season.

Fritz
02-22-2013, 06:47 AM
I think most people on the board understand and are fine with this move.

Now we'll see how TT drafts....many people are hoping for a safety in the first three rounds. Woodson will probably get an offer to play for a contender, and try for one more SB.