PDA

View Full Version : Finley, Williams & Hawk

Patler
02-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Assuming that Woodson is gone, only Finley, Williams and Hawk seem to be arguably overpaid for 2013:

Jermichael Finley- $8.75 million
Tramon Williams - $8.5 million cap hit
A.J. Hawk - $7.05 million

Interestingly, they are now #s 2, 3 and 4 on the highest cap hit list for the Packers in 2013. After those three, everyone else seems to be worth what they will be paid, give or take a little.

If TW of 2010 can return, he will be a bargain at 8.5.

Any further cap savings on the horizon?

Patler
02-15-2013, 01:58 PM
It just doesn't seem right that Finley is the 2nd highest paid player on the Packers, does it?

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-15-2013, 02:48 PM
I think the most logical person of the three would be Hawk. Clearing both Hawk and Woodson off the books, the 7 million carry over from 2012, and not re-signing Jennings will leave the team with enough money to sign Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji to contract extensions.

While both Finley and Williams are overpaid based off their 2012 performances, neither has that many years left on their deals. Finley has one year left on his deal and no other TE on the roster comes close to his athletic ability and playmaking potential in the passing game. Quarless coming back healthy would create a great one-two punch because of his blocking ability, but I don't think he has the same presence in the passing game. Williams only has two years left on his current deal and with another year removed from his shoulder injury we might see a version of TW closer to 2010 than 2011 or 12.

Hawk on the other hand has 3 or 4 years left on his deal that calls for about 7 million/year. He has never been one to create turnovers or apply significant pressure on the QB. That type of money should be reserved for impact players, not 29 yo average players. Between Bishop, Smith, and hopefully a decent draft pick you may see better MLB play at a much cheaper price.

Personally, while I think it is worth keeping Finley if the money is there, I would rather trade Finley and keep Jennings if I had the choice. But since Jennings seems all but gone I would hold on to Finley.

run pMc
02-15-2013, 03:45 PM
No way they cut TW; in a passing league you need all the good CBs you can keep. Remember having to trot out guys like Josh Gordy and Patrick Dendy?
It seems like Hawk is a target every year. He and Finley are definitely 50/50 -- I wonder if renegotiating with Finley to reduce his cap number by extending him a year would happen?

MadScientist
02-15-2013, 03:53 PM
The key is not just what they make, but who will replace them. Because of that I think there is an 80+% chance that Finley stays and a bit better than 50% on keeping Hawk, though hopefully with some renegotiation. He may not be great, but at least he was there, unlike all the other injured ILB's.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-15-2013, 04:02 PM
I have a salary cap question for you plater: Since the packers are carrying over 7 million from last season doesn't that mean that with everyone under contract they had 7 million left to spend? If so, shouldn't that mean that with Jennings off the books we should have been 15 million under the cap before the Woodson release? With Woodson released I was expecting the cap room to be about 25 mil but I'm hearing 16 to 17 mil now. What am I missing?

sharpe1027
02-15-2013, 04:12 PM
I have a salary cap question for you plater: Since the packers are carrying over 7 million from last season doesn't that mean that with everyone under contract they had 7 million left to spend? If so, shouldn't that mean that with Jennings off the books we should have been 15 million under the cap before the Woodson release? With Woodson released I was expecting the cap room to be about 25 mil but I'm hearing 16 to 17 mil now. What am I missing?

For one thing, the remaining players' salaries have probably increased from last year.

3irty1
02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
I think Hawk is safer than any of us want to believe.

red
02-15-2013, 05:52 PM

I agree

Plus you only save 2 or 2.5 million by cutting him

With woodson now gone, hawk is the leader of that defense. I don't see much else in terms of leadership on d.

Like it or not

And i'm not saying urlacher and hawk are in the same class, but i lived in the chicago agea in the early 00's. Every year bears fans wanted unlacher gone jus like many packer fans want hawk gone.

Hawk isn't flashy at all, which is all that seems to matter to most, but he' s not horrible either. And not that overpaid for a starting lvet leader at his position

King Friday
02-15-2013, 06:50 PM

I would agree. Hawk's not going anywhere, because by the time you pay for his replacement you don't gain any room against the cap. The guy is highly durable and while he doesn't make a lot of big plays, he is usually reliable to make the right play most of the time. Besides, this team needs MORE LBs, not fewer.

pbmax
02-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Williams is the closest call because his level of play fell during the year and its not obvious why, unless the Packers were fooling themselves by playing him versus the opposition's #1 WR every game.

Finley will be back because he came close to earning that salary at the end of the season. Hawk had his best year in 5 years and he isn't leaving after that, esp. with the 3rd string at ILB next to him.

Fritz
02-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Hawk just appears to be too slow and pedestrian. Am I wrong in that assessment?

HarveyWallbangers
02-16-2013, 11:33 AM
I think Hawk has been better than some think, but I think we go a different route. You can win with him, but he's not going to get any better. He's average. He's not going to get you beat but he won't make many plays. Assuming Bishop and Smith are recovering from their injuries, then I'd save the money on Hawk and use it elsewhere.

Tony Oday
02-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Hawk will improve this year when we add a stud DL along with Raji. Williams is a reaaly good CB sign him long term. Finley is a dime a dozen coming out of college now, dump him and his ego.

Pugger
02-16-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't see anything happening with any of these players until we get closer to the ends of their contracts.

Patler
02-16-2013, 12:17 PM

For one thing, the remaining players' salaries have probably increased from last year.

Sharpe already answered, so I will give a couple examples:

Player -- 2012 cap # --- 2013 cap #
Rodgers --- 8.5 --- 9.75
Finley--- 5.25 --- 8.75
Williams--- 7.4 --- 8.5
Picket --- 5.7 --- 6.7
Lang --- 2.0 --- 3.1

etc.

Patler
02-16-2013, 12:38 PM
I don't see Hawk being let go this year. He is steady and durable. Others around him go down, and he misses very little time. Bishop and Smith this year, Barnett and Jones in previous years all missed significant time. Hawk missed only a couple games in his career so far due to injury. While their saving this year would be a fair amount, he will be in greater jeopardy of being released next year as the dead money hit goes down for a greater net savings to their cap.

My guess is that they will find a way to sign a new contract with Finley, using his salary due this year as part of the guaranteed cash over 4 or 5 years.

Williams is the harder one for me to guess. It could come down to how he looks in TC, and whether or not they draft an up and comer this year. They might be content with Shields, House, Hayward and a rookie. If Williams loses his starting job, it's hard to justify his salary, but they might be willing to pay it for one more year while they sort out their backfield without Woodson.

pbmax
02-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Thompson has, in the past, shown that he is willing to let go of a player due concerns about his value despite having no obvious plan B. But he has also kept a few (KGB) in that spot.

There is no starting caliber ILB who can take Hawk's spot. Neither Bishop or Smith spent much time at Hawk's ILB spot in camp. And when Hawk missed a few games, it was Smith who took on his role and had decidedly mixed results. He was quicker and more decisive, but got overwhelmed a number of times. I don't think Haw's time is yet, but I would not be surprised to see his successor drafted this year.

Bretsky
02-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Assuming that Woodson is gone, only Finley, Williams and Hawk seem to be arguably overpaid for 2013:

Jermichael Finley- $8.75 million
Tramon Williams - $8.5 million cap hit
A.J. Hawk - $7.05 million

Interestingly, they are now #s 2, 3 and 4 on the highest cap hit list for the Packers in 2013. After those three, everyone else seems to be worth what they will be paid, give or take a little.

If TW of 2010 can return, he will be a bargain at 8.5.

Any further cap savings on the horizon?

I wonder if JMike's ego would allow for him to redo his deal making in a 4Yr in the 27-30MIL range ? They could restructure it in a way to eat cap space in the year they wanted. When I think of TE's I can't think of many that are more talented. Jimmy Graham, Gronk....maybe V Davis......but when TT signed him I think he expected more by now. I gott believe his deal is restructured

Hawk.....he's steady and average at best. Against better blockers he gets exposed more and he will never ever live up to what we'd hope out of a #5 pick in the draft. It would surprise me if TT let's him go cause there is just not a ton of savings by cutting ties. But IMO his next deal, if it's with us, will be for a much lesser amount than his last one. You can win with Hawk. He's just never going to propel his play where we win because of much he does. His talen is what you hope for in round 3-4....just not the #5 pick in the draft

Willaims....not sure what to think. The optimist in me still wonders if he is still banged up and needs to fully recover. I don't think we have the horses there to fully cut ties. I think we have to bring him into training camp. If he doesn't step up his game.....we could always play dirty ball......wait til the last cut down when much of the money is nearly dried up....bring him in.....and let him know if he cuts his wage to 5MIL for instance...we'll kep him...otherwise send him on his way when there will not be a lot of money for others to offer him riches.

The first two rounds will be very telling this year. IF we have sombody TT loves in either....they could be insurance for next year when TT exepects a couple of the above guys to walk. I suppose it could also be a sign for this year.....but I doubt he just lets one free.

Of the above....Hawk at 7MIL.....wants to make me puke the most. He IMO is the easiest guy to replace his level of play at that position.

I'll state the obvious here..which you know........but the above 3 have hit their second set of contract negotiations.....where many strike the bank

Matthews and probably Raji too will be passing these guys soon

gbgary
02-16-2013, 08:35 PM
I think all three will be here for a while. fin-record breaking year, hawk-leading tackler...again, tramon-solid, no one better to take his place. with a qb like rodgers you do what you can to be a contender every year because that window is fleeting. stay strong or get stronger but don't take steps backward.

Fritz
02-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Maybe draft an ILB with a higher pick and let him duke it out with Hawk.

And btw, I like "Plater" for Patler.

KYPack
02-17-2013, 02:46 PM

Yeah. Let's make that trade.

Patler
02-17-2013, 03:01 PM

Yeah. Let's make that trade.

Plater for Patler?
Nah, could be confused as an homage to Dan Plater, BYU wide receiver who played with Jim McMahon, and reportedly the individual for whom McMahon wore "Pluto" on his headband in the Super Bowl.

KYPack
02-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Plater for Patler?
Nah, could be confused as an homage to Dan Plater, BYU wide receiver who played with Jim McMahon, and reportedly the individual for whom McMahon wore "Pluto" on his headband in the Super Bowl.

& a 7th rnd pick in 2015.

swede
02-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Pu Pu Plater

http://www.kim-lai.com/images/PuPuPlatter_500px.gif

woodbuck27
02-18-2013, 02:02 PM
I think all three will be here for a while. fin-record breaking year, hawk-leading tackler...again, tramon-solid, no one better to take his place. with a qb like rodgers you do what you can to be a contender every year because that window is fleeting. stay strong or get stronger but don't take steps backward.

I believe your correct.

With DD and CW gone it seems unlikely that the chemistry of the locker room will take any more hits next season. JF, Hawk and TW all stay. Next season will be a year of assessment and I don't expect we'll get better unless TT hits a home run. ie Picks an impact player at RB

We must fill too much on the OL and DL to realisticaslly have alot of hope for 2013. Of course this assessment will be upgraded if the team doesn't have too much adversity ie injuries.

smuggler
02-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Pu Pu Platter owns

call_me_ishmael
02-18-2013, 07:00 PM
I think they'll all be back. I'm not happy about Hawk back. I have a theory Finley can't run like he used to be able to.

Smeefers
02-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Hawk.....he's steady and average at best. Against better blockers he gets exposed more and he will never ever live up to what we'd hope out of a #5 pick in the draft. It would surprise me if TT let's him go cause there is just not a ton of savings by cutting ties. But IMO his next deal, if it's with us, will be for a much lesser amount than his last one. You can win with Hawk. He's just never going to propel his play where we win because of much he does. His talen is what you hope for in round 3-4....just not the #5 pick in the draft

Of the above....Hawk at 7MIL.....wants to make me puke the most. He IMO is the easiest guy to replace his level of play at that position.

Do you honestly think you can find a guy in the 3rd or 4th round who is ready to be an instant starter and be a consistent leader on a defense from day 1, because Hawk was. Hawk has been the top 1 or 2 tackler on our D since he got here. I don't understand why being a consistent tackler is such an undervalued trait. We don't win because of what he does? He tackles the ball carrier. That directly leads to wins.

Now, just so I got this straight. You believe Hawk is easy to replace. You believe it's easy to find not only a defensive leader, leading tackler and a durable player, but also a player who is involved in many more sacks and turnovers for about the same price that you're paying Hawk. I don't believe that is realistic. Do you think when Desmond Bishop is up again that he'll only take 7 mil a year?

It's just getting so tiring defending this guy. Is he great? No. Is he bad? No. He's a C+, B- student. He gets paid what he's worth. Thompson just worked this deal out with the guy, he's not going to dump it a year into it.

George Cumby
02-18-2013, 08:08 PM
I think they'll all be back. I'm not happy about Hawk back. I have a theory Finley can't run like he used to be able to.

Theory, my ass. I think it's been proven empirically.

Collapse
02-19-2013, 02:47 AM
Do you honestly think you can find a guy in the 3rd or 4th round who is ready to be an instant starter and be a consistent leader on a defense from day 1, because Hawk was. Hawk has been the top 1 or 2 tackler on our D since he got here. I don't understand why being a consistent tackler is such an undervalued trait. We don't win because of what he does? He tackles the ball carrier. That directly leads to wins.

Now, just so I got this straight. You believe Hawk is easy to replace. You believe it's easy to find not only a defensive leader, leading tackler and a durable player, but also a player who is involved in many more sacks and turnovers for about the same price that you're paying Hawk. I don't believe that is realistic. Do you think when Desmond Bishop is up again that he'll only take 7 mil a year?

It's just getting so tiring defending this guy. Is he great? No. Is he bad? No. He's a C+, B- student. He gets paid what he's worth. Thompson just worked this deal out with the guy, he's not going to dump it a year into it.

What evidence do you have that he is a leader? I don't buy it, but if he is the leader then we need a new one.

In 10 games Jones had a slightly higher tackles per game average while also forcing a fumble. Something our defensive leader hasn't done since 2007. Think about that for a second. What exactly is so difficult to replace?

Iron Mike
02-19-2013, 07:16 AM
http://www.asseenontvus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/grater-plater.jpg

Grater plater?? Later, tater....

Pugger
02-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Twice in the last 4 seasons Hawk has been voted by his teammates to be a captain in the playoffs so this tells me he is one of the team leaders in the locker room.

http://packers.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers_playoff_captains

pbmax
02-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Speaking of TEs, Quarless is getting a pay increase:

Aaron Nagler ‏@Aaron_Nagler
Per @TomSilverstein, Andrew Quarless reached an escalator that took his pay from $575,000 to $1.323 million. He did not play a down in 2012.

Patler
02-19-2013, 11:27 AM
It would be interesting to know what the escalator required.

swede
02-19-2013, 12:08 PM

Especially since he spent the last year taking the escalator instead of the stairs.

Fritz
02-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Maybe his sister didn't tweet anything negative.

Fritz
02-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Or maybe it was tied to the Pope's resignation.

denverYooper
02-19-2013, 01:59 PM

I'd heard it was for time played over the first 3 seasons.

Patler
02-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Must have been a pretty low standard, he played only 23 of 48 regular season games.

Patler
02-19-2013, 03:27 PM
It is starting to come back to me now. There was uncertainty in 2010 over what the new CBA would provide for RFAs, FAs etc. In the uncapped year players completing their 4th years were not FAs but RFAs instead, and 2010 rookies were being asked to sign 4 year contracts, not knowing if they would or wouldn't be giving up their RFA year or not.

Apparently in response to that uncertainty, it was common in rookie contracts signed in 2010 for nearly automatic increases to the RFA tender amounts in the fourth seasons, depending on how much they played in years 1-3. The increase was more or less automatic if the new CBA ultimately agreed to retained RFA provisions similar to the old CBA (4th year=RFA, after 4th year=FA). So, instead of Quarless being an RFA this year, he gets an automatic increase to an RFA tender. His bump is to the lowest RFA tender, apparently because he has not played much. I suspect if he had played more, his bump would have been to one of the higher RFA tender amounts.

Brandon494
02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Lmao of course you gotta get your shot on Finley. Can we just release Hawk already and call it a day?

Patler
02-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Lmao of course you gotta get your shot on Finley. Can we just release Hawk already and call it a day?

Who? Me? What shot did I take at Finley?

I identified the 2nd, 3rd and 4th highest paid on the team, all of whom, coincidentally have been talked about in the news as being possible cap cuts. I asked if others thought any will be cut.

I have also said I expect the Packers to extend Finley.

HarveyWallbangers
02-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Patler is no friend of Hawk's.

Collapse
02-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Twice in the last 4 seasons Hawk has been voted by his teammates to be a captain in the playoffs so this tells me he is one of the team leaders in the locker room.

http://packers.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers_playoff_captains

If his leadership is such a virtue then why not all four years? Considering the uninspired play from the defense the last two years I find it to be a poor argument.
The excuses for him are dwindling so it's understandable. Last year this discussion would have included how good he is at relaying the calls and getting everyone lined up correctly.

Fritz
02-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Plater is no friend of Hawk's.

Corrected.

denverYooper
02-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Corrected.

LOL!

Pugger
02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
If his leadership is such a virtue then why not all four years? Considering the uninspired play from the defense the last two years I find it to be a poor argument.
The excuses for him are dwindling so it's understandable. Last year this discussion would have included how good he is at relaying the calls and getting everyone lined up correctly.

I said he was ONE of the leaders in the locker room. It is apparent Hawk is held in higher regard by his coaches and teammates than by many fans. I do hope we find an upgrade over him this spring! He's basically your average starting ILB but we need somebody a hell of lot more dynamic that him in here.

I did notice Woodson and Rodgers were voted each time. Woodson's leadership is going to be missed.

Patler
02-20-2013, 10:13 AM

The funny thing is, the only year that Hawk had primary responsibility for defensive signals was 2010, which was also the best year they have had defensively for quite a while. Players and coaches both credited his ability in that area frequently during that off-season. In 2011 and 2012 he has played less, and the coaches have given the headset to others who will be on the field more, including Jones this past year when he became a starter.

So, maybe there is something to his abilities as a defensive signal caller?????

Fritz
02-20-2013, 01:31 PM
The funny thing is, the only year that Hawk had primary responsibility for defensive signals was 2010, which was also the best year they have had defensively for quite a while. Players and coaches both credited his ability in that area frequently during that off-season. In 2011 and 2012 he has played less, and the coaches have given the headset to others who will be on the field more, including Jones this past year when he became a starter.

Does this mean that they ought to put the headset on Hawk on the sidelines and let him make the defensive calls???

Patler
02-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Does this mean that they ought to put the headset on Hawk on the sidelines and let him make the defensive calls???

No, but he might have a future as a DC.

It was said by Capers and by several players after 2010 that Hawk had two notable strengths - he was exceedingly calm no matter what the offense was doing, if defensive calls were late, etc. and that calm passed on to the other players; and he excelled at making any final adjustments as the offense shifted just prior to the snap. Much of that occurs after headset communication is disabled.

Fritz
02-21-2013, 06:23 AM
No, but he might have a future as a DC.

It was said by Capers and by several players after 2010 that Hawk had two notable strengths - he was exceedingly calm no matter what the offense was doing, if defensive calls were late, etc. and that calm passed on to the other players; and he excelled at making any final adjustments as the offense shifted just prior to the snap. Much of that occurs after headset communication is disabled.

I think I've been scarred by the SF game. I have nightmares of Kaepernick running away, away, away from everyone, and when handing off to Gore, the ILb's missing tackles.

And while Bishop may be tough, he can't cover very well and he's not all that fast. I keep thinking the team needs a couple of fast, fast, fast, tough ILB's. Maybe Manning is one.

My vision of the draft has been skewed by that game.

smuggler
02-21-2013, 01:47 PM

This, I hope, is not also true of TT.

Fritz
02-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Well, I doubt highly that it would be. That's why Ted has the job he has, and the rest of us are either internet posters or the Lions' GM.

Smeefers
02-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Now that I think of it Fritz, you probably had one helluva resume to send into the Lions a couple years ago after Millen got canned. How did you not get hired?

Fritz
02-22-2013, 07:48 AM
The Ford family does not believe in hiring a GM who has never held a position in an NFL team's front office or as a scout.

No, wait, that's not it. They did that with Millen.

Come to think of it, I could've done the job Millen did, for a lot less money.

I do wonder if the Lions will restructure Stafford's contract (they've already restructured two other contracts) so they can play the free agent sweepstakes game. I'd like to see them do that. For all the fear of Detroit as an up and coming team, they are one of the older teams in the NFL with very little cap room.

Patler
02-22-2013, 08:54 AM
I do wonder if the Lions will restructure Stafford's contract (they've already restructured two other contracts) so they can play the free agent sweepstakes game.

They might have to restructure Stafford's contract just to meet their rookie salary allocation.

rbaloha1
02-22-2013, 09:19 AM
I think I've been scarred by the SF game. I have nightmares of Kaepernick running away, away, away from everyone, and when handing off to Gore, the ILb's missing tackles.

And while Bishop may be tough, he can't cover very well and he's not all that fast. I keep thinking the team needs a couple of fast, fast, fast, tough ILB's. Maybe Manning is one.

Me too. Guess what offenses are going to try against the Packer D next year?

More speed and size is greatly needed. Manning needs to bulk up and could be one of the missing pieces.

sharpe1027
02-22-2013, 09:32 AM
The Ford family does not believe in hiring a GM who has never held a position in an NFL team's front office or as a scout.

No, wait, that's not it. They did that with Millen.

Come to think of it, I could've done the job Millen did, for a lot less money.

I do wonder if the Lions will restructure Stafford's contract (they've already restructured two other contracts) so they can play the free agent sweepstakes game. I'd like to see them do that. For all the fear of Detroit as an up and coming team, they are one of the older teams in the NFL with very little cap room.

If you had got the job, I bet there would be there would have been some favorable deals that came the Packer's way.

Fritz
02-22-2013, 09:56 AM
If you had got the job, I bet there would be there would have been some favorable deals that came the Packer's way.

Nothing I could do in that regard would look much different than most of the clownish moves made by that organization anyway!

Collapse
02-24-2013, 02:28 AM

Also had a consistent pass rush that year. Probably the best they've had since the last Super Bowl.

If hawk is that good with the radio then he'd have it on all three downs. Capers wouldn't have given it to the third guy on the depth chart that had no experience playing where he was.

Patler
02-24-2013, 05:11 AM
Also had a consistent pass rush that year. Probably the best they've had since the last Super Bowl.

If hawk is that good with the radio then he'd have it on all three downs. Capers wouldn't have given it to the third guy on the depth chart that had no experience playing where he was.

The problem is that he doesn't play well enough to be on the field for all three downs. If his playing ability was good enough to be on the field, I suspect he would have the headset.

What it really indicates is that the coaches do not value it all that highly, because they are willing to shuffle the responsibility around to whichever player, no matter how inexperienced he is, will be on the field the most at ILB.

pbmax
02-24-2013, 11:09 AM
The problem is that he doesn't play well enough to be on the field for all three downs. If his playing ability was good enough to be on the field, I suspect he would have the headset.

What it really indicates is that the coaches do not value it all that highly, because they are willing to shuffle the responsibility around to whichever player, no matter how inexperienced he is, will be on the field the most at ILB.

I think the controlling factor there is not experience but number of radios they can have. There are only two per side of the ball in a game, right? So its an ILB and safety in order to be sure there are always two people hearing the calls on every down as much as possible.

Patler
02-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I think the controlling factor there is not experience but number of radios they can have. There are only two per side of the ball in a game, right? So its an ILB and safety in order to be sure there are always two people hearing the calls on every down as much as possible.

...and they chose two who will be on the field for the most snaps. Hawk lost the headset when he became a two down linebacker. Brad Jones got it when he became the one who stayed on the field in the most situations.

pbmax
02-24-2013, 01:56 PM
...and they chose two who will be on the field for the most snaps. Hawk lost the headset when he became a two down linebacker. Brad Jones got it when he became the one who stayed on the field in the most situations.

Agree about the snaps. Its one of the reasons I think the praise of Hawk as calm and clear headed is fine, though essentially constitutes faint praise considering other things a LB could be doing.

I don't think he lost the radio is '10 though, did he? Maybe I missed it. I thought he lost in last year when he was hurt and then had to hand it over to Smith. Or was it Bishop who lost it last year to Smith?

Patler
02-24-2013, 03:30 PM
My recollection is that Hawk handled it mostly in 2010 after Barnett went out. It was during and after 2010 that he got the most praise. In 2011 both Hawk and Bishop had headsets, but Bishop was taking over, because he was on the filed more. This year it was Smith, then Jones who handled it. I think Burnett was the second one this year, wasn't he?

pbmax
02-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Yes on Burnett. Fuzzy on Bishop/Hawk switchover only because of his injuries. Smith did get the radio when both Hawk and Bishop went down in '11, but don't remember who took it back.

Smeefers
02-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Well, it looks like Finely said he wouldn't take a pay cut. He did say that he was open to restructuring his contract though, but he says that he hasn't been contact by the team. His Roster bonus of 3 mil takes effect on March 27th.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8998146/jermichael-finley-green-bay-packers-says-accept-pay-cut

Guiness
02-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Well, it looks like Finely said he wouldn't take a pay cut. He did say that he was open to restructuring his contract though, but he says that he hasn't been contact by the team. His Roster bonus of 3 mil takes effect on March 27th.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8998146/jermichael-finley-green-bay-packers-says-accept-pay-cut

I haven't got a text asking me to take a pay cut or to restructure my deal at this point -- not at all

I wonder how often the Packers restructure a contract by sending the player a text :-P

Tony Oday
02-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Bye Bye Finley. You cant get $8 million anywhere else and if someone does pay you they are, well, dumb.

woodbuck27
02-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Flat out !!

J. Finley has to restructure and give the PACKERS some salary cap relief or find a pay check with some other team. That man has to swollow his ego. He's making too much money compared to the rest of our team in terms of his returns. It's time to call his bluff as he's not worth the money he'll be paid if we retain him at the end of March.

Maybe TT can engineer a trade that involves JF but the bottom line is the hit his contract places on our CAP in terms of his production.

Smeefers
02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
I don't blame him for taking a hard line in the press. It's a negotiating tactic a lot of players use.

pbmax
02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Bye Bye Finley. You cant get $8 million anywhere else and if someone does pay you they are, well, dumb.

The speculation is that he just might be able to get that on the open market. Or come close. The TE Free Agent market is pretty slim. Its always a risk, but he stands a reasonable chance of getting paid well. The average of his deal might match this year's cap number, but he would get money upfront and in Year 1 that was comparable to his current situation.

RashanGary
02-28-2013, 02:12 PM
I thought Jones did a better job than Hawk taking on and shedding blocks. He also plays faster and better coverage. If Hawks big claim to fame is taking on blockers, I think Jones should have his spot.

Fritz
02-28-2013, 02:16 PM
I wonder how often the Packers restructure a contract by sending the player a text :-P

I heard that Ted broke up with Brent via text. Although it's also possible Ted will pass Jmike a note under the desk that says "Will you take a pay cut? _____Yes. _____No. ______Maybe so."

pbmax
03-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Finley's agent, noted Contortionist (foot in mouth specialty) Blake Baratz, says that he would not immediately hang up if a call came in requesting a pay cut.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/07/jermichael-finleys-agent-wont-rule-out-pay-cut/

MadScientist
03-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Not a real surprise to us, but a clear admission that Williams wasn't what he used to be due to the shoulder.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/07/tramon-williams-2011-shoulder-injury-still-hasnt-fully-healed/