PDA

View Full Version : TOUGH RESRICTED CALLS ON SHIELDS...EDS

Bretsky
02-16-2013, 08:55 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-face-a-tough-decision-on-sam-shields-5n8pq3n-191560581.html

pbmax
02-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Article raises an interesting point. Shields by past Packers standards (pre Thompson) is a pretty good size (5'-11", 184). But one of the scouts calls him small. Wonder if that plays into their thinking? It certainly didn't for Tramontana's contract.

But he has to get a second round tender if the Packers don't want someone else to negotiate his next contract. EDS might get the low one.

Guiness
02-16-2013, 10:32 PM
I think the most interesting is the effect the tender will have on future contract negotiations. A first round offer means his agent can argue that his value is higher. Oh. And his agent is Rosenhaus :mad:
Haven't heard that name in a while, and it still hasn't been long enough.

The article in confusing with the numbers though. It says a 1st round tender means 2,879,000, 2nd round is 2,023,000. Later, it says 2.4 million against the cap per player to offer the first, $1.6 million to offer the second. Why the $400K difference.

I'm surprised this tendering system didn't change with the last CBA. The fact that they get no compensation for losing a UDFA they tendered is silly. Any player that is tendered obviously has some value, so there should be some compensation, even if it's a 7th rounder.

pbmax
02-17-2013, 08:53 AM
And his agent is Rosenhaus :mad:
Haven't heard that name in a while, and it still hasn't been long enough.

Most teams find Rosenhaus easy to deal with in normal negotiations. He doesn't have a long string of holdouts like Parker or some others.

He gets to be a public pain when he swoops in to steal someone else's client and promises to move the player or renegotiate a contract (McKenzie).

Fritz
02-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Dammit, I need to get in touch with Shields's agent so I can pitch my "Sam's Shields" line of condoms.

I believe he'll get the second round tender. It makes sense.

As for Erectile Dysfunction-Smith, is he really the Packers' center of the future? For real do they think that? I feel like he's pretty average and I'd like to see the team draft a center in the second or third round.

Does EDS really call for a second round tender?

smuggler
02-17-2013, 06:55 PM
I vote first round tender for Shields and expose EDS to free agency, but try to sign him.