PDA

View Full Version : Name The Starting Defensive Backfield 2013

pbmax
02-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Wood is gone and so is the #1 personnel reason to play nickel or some kind of Rover/Robber DB position. Shields and Hayward seem ascendant, House should be on the way up and Tramontana has had a somewhat (unexpectedly) uneven year after healing an injury.

At safety, Burnett looks entrenched but not a star, Doc Jennings can roam but not fill and McMillan looks for all the world the part except he can be slow to react and might not have top end speed. He looks like he's an in the box guy so far.

So who starts next year and pays the nickel and dime spots?

Base
CB-Shields
SS-Burnett
FS-Jennings
CB-House

I am getting more and more convinced that the talk of TWill not being completely over the shoulder nerve injury was legit prior to camp because his drop off seems to have no other logical explanation after starting out a house on fire. I think House is fantastic though and might surpass TWill even if he is healthy. That puts TWill in an awkward spot because neither of the three CBs mentioned so far play the slot well.

Nickel CB-Heyward

Simply no other choice.

Dime DB-Tramontana

McMillan will get snaps when facing run heavy teams when Capers wants to be prepared to cover a pass. He and Heyward will split Woodson's do everything responsibilities. Williams might get some snaps when facing a team with Packer like depth at skill positions like NE.

What They Need:
1. House and Williams to be healthy, but otherwise CB has rarely looked this good

2. Draft or find a safety. Nothing would put me more at ease than to replace one of the starting safeties, though I suspect Jennings will be more assignment sure and less beatable deep this year.

Fritz
02-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Wood is gone and so is the #1 personnel reason to play nickel or some kind of Rover/Robber DB position. Shields and Hayward seem ascendant, House should be on the way up and Tramontana has had a somewhat (unexpectedly) uneven year after healing an injury.

At safety, Burnett looks entrenched but not a star, Doc Jennings can roam but not fill and McMillan looks for all the world the part except he can be slow to react and might not have top end speed. He looks like he's an in the box guy so far.

So who starts next year and pays the nickel and dime spots?

Base
CB-Shields
SS-Burnett
FS-Jennings
CB-House

I am getting more and more convinced that the talk of TWill not being completely over the shoulder nerve injury was legit prior to camp because his drop off seems to have no other logical explanation after starting out a house on fire. I think House is fantastic though and might surpass TWill even if he is healthy. That puts TWill in an awkward spot because neither of the three CBs mentioned so far play the slot well.

Nickel CB-Heyward

Simply no other choice.

Dime DB-Tramontana

McMillan will get snaps when facing run heavy teams when Capers wants to be prepared to cover a pass. He and Heyward will split Woodson's do everything responsibilities. Williams might get some snaps when facing a team with Packer like depth at skill positions like NE.

What They Need:
1. House and Williams to be healthy, but otherwise CB has rarely looked this good

2. Draft or find a safety. Nothing would put me more at ease than to replace one of the starting safeties, though I suspect Jennings will be more assignment sure and less beatable deep this year.

McMillan is the mystery to me. Your post gets to this for me: I thought TT drafted him as Collins's replacement. I also know safeties often take about three years to develop (see: Collins, Nick, and Sharper, Darren). However I cannot tell if our seeming doubt about McMillan (lots of rat talk about needing a safety, including you, PB, I think) means we're being impatient or if he's lacking some key physical tool, like -as you suggest - speed.

Pugger
02-17-2013, 10:25 AM
I too hope we find someone other than Jennings back there - either FA or in the upcoming draft. It will be interesting to watch the DBs in the combine next week.

smuggler
02-17-2013, 06:59 PM
I don't think McMillian is a great FS prospect. I'd prefer him used closer to the line and let Burnett cover deep.

I'd prefer less of T.Williams and more of House in the base, and Heyward will continue in the slot.

RashanGary
02-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Tramon, Shields, Burnett (SS), Draft (FS)

Heyward nickle
House dime (with Tramon having to man the second slot position)

Teamcheez1
02-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Dime DB-Tramontana

Tramon Williams will not be paid $7.5M to be a dime CB. If they can't keep him on the field in the base or nickel, there is no sense in paying that kind of money. I think they need to keep him in case of injuries, etc., but I expect him to be on the field the majority of the time to justify that kind of salary.

ND72
02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Tramon looks like a man who has been paid a lot of money and now doesn't want to be hurt.

Guiness
02-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Tramon looks like a man who has been paid a lot of money and now doesn't want to be hurt.

If most of the thoughts in this thread are accurate...Tramon won't be with the team this coming year, not at that salary.

Patler
02-18-2013, 05:59 AM

I would modify that sentiment only slightly. Tramon looks like a man who has been paid a lot of money, was injured significantly, and now doesn't want to be hurt again. I don't think the money changed him, but I do think the injury did. I think it has made him timid in some situations.

pbmax
02-18-2013, 09:22 AM
I would modify that sentiment only slightly. Tramon looks like a man who has been paid a lot of money, was injured significantly, and now doesn't want to be hurt again. I don't think the money changed him, but I do think the injury did. I think it has made him timid in some situations.

I think it also altered his technique. The lack of physicality from a tackling standpoint was always a concern for him, but coverage wasn't. I think we will know early in camp, certainly by the exhibition games, whether he has recovered that portion of his game.

pbmax
02-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Tramon Williams will not be paid $7.5M to be a dime CB. If they can't keep him on the field in the base or nickel, there is no sense in paying that kind of money. I think they need to keep him in case of injuries, etc., but I expect him to be on the field the majority of the time to justify that kind of salary.

An excellent point. I think my lineup constitutes a small leap of faith, that House really cements himself as a starter, but he has already done that in camp last year.

But Williams will also need to continue to struggle. That remains to be seen. And its a fair question whether the Packers will endure Year 3 of his physical struggle at that price. I could see a negotiation in his future. I wonder what other teams think of him?

packrulz
02-18-2013, 09:46 AM
I think back to the games against the Giants, 49ers, and even Jacksonville, physical teams, and Tramon just didn't have the strength to disrupt the routes of their top receivers. I'm not saying he isn't a starter, but they can't count on him to match up against the top physical receivers in the league. I think he had some nerve damage, and it takes a long time for it to grow back and regain the strength. I like some of the big, strong DB's in the draft this year, even if they're not real fast, I like guys who can slug it out in the 5 yard rule.

denverYooper
02-18-2013, 11:47 AM
I think it also altered his technique. The lack of physicality from a tackling standpoint was always a concern for him, but coverage wasn't. I think we will know early in camp, certainly by the exhibition games, whether he has recovered that portion of his game.

Unfortunately, playing hurt likely reprogrammed his muscle memory. He took a lot of reps with that injury. Hopefully last year was him washing out the vestiges of it, though I would not make any kind of bet on it.

Guiness
02-18-2013, 01:06 PM

See: Ferguson, Robert
He was having a breakout season before he got cloth lined. Never seemed to regain that form.

Guiness
02-18-2013, 01:09 PM
I think back to the games against the Giants, 49ers, and even Jacksonville, physical teams, and Tramon just didn't have the strength to disrupt the routes of their top receivers. I'm not saying he isn't a starter, but they can't count on him to match up against the top physical receivers in the league. I think he had some nerve damage, and it takes a long time for it to grow back and regain the strength. I like some of the big, strong DB's in the draft this year, even if they're not real fast, I like guys who can slug it out in the 5 yard rule.

:-> at the 'five yard rule'
There is, of course, no rule with regards to this. I recall a discussion about this a while back (like, a few years ago) and it turned out there was no rule allowing contact beyond the LOS at all! It's more of an 'understanding' than a rule.

swede
02-18-2013, 02:38 PM
See: Ferguson, Robert
He was having a breakout season before he got cloth lined. Never seemed to regain that form.

Bretsky thinks next year might be the year for Robert. You wait.

ND72
02-18-2013, 10:34 PM
I was on the ferguson wagon also...I'll admit it

And I still think its damn cool that swede has me quoted. Might be the best thing I've ever said.

pbmax
02-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Bretsky thinks next year might be the year for Robert. You wait.

That is why he is so hard on him now. Robert broke his heart. :lol:

Plus there was the Chris Chambers aspect as well, making for an awkward love triangle.

packrulz
02-19-2013, 04:47 AM
:-> at the 'five yard rule'
There is, of course, no rule with regards to this. I recall a discussion about this a while back (like, a few years ago) and it turned out there was no rule allowing contact beyond the LOS at all! It's more of an 'understanding' than a rule.
A defensive player may not tackle or hold an opponent other than a runner. Otherwise, he may use his hands, arms, or body only:

(a) To defend or protect himself against an obstructing opponent.

Exception: An eligible receiver is considered to be an obstructing opponent ONLY to a point five yards beyond the line of scrimmage unless the player who receives the snap clearly demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball. Within this five-yard zone, a defensive player may chuck an eligible player in front of him. A defensive player is allowed to maintain continuous and unbroken contact within the five-yard zone until a point when the receiver is even with the defender. The defensive player cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an eligible receiver in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops. Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him.

packrulz
02-19-2013, 05:20 AM
There are some pretty good free agent safeties out there: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/47244/will-low-franchise-tag-mean-fewer-fa-safeties

mmmdk
02-19-2013, 02:20 PM
There are some pretty good free agent safeties out there: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/47244/will-low-franchise-tag-mean-fewer-fa-safeties

I like Byrd or Quin.