PDA

View Full Version : Redundancy in High-Round Picks

Fritz
02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
I am leery of using a first round pick on an offensive tackle, as some have suggested the Packers do. It's a what-if, but -and it could happen - what if Sherrod and Bulaga come back healthy for camp? If you take an o-tackle in round one, you've got two young starters - Newhouse and Bulaga - plus a very solid back up in Barclay, plus Sherrod, plus another first rounder? That seems like too many high-round picks - 3 - at one position.

I'm also slightly leery of spending your first rounder on a safety, unless you're sure that 1) McMillan is not the answer, and, 2) that the guy you're picking is physically head and shoulders above any safety you've got now.

I trust TT and BPA, but in terms of matching need to BPA I'd prefer a defensive lineman or an inside linebacker, or maybe (only maybe) a running back, if MM promises to actually use him.

Guiness
02-17-2013, 11:56 AM
I also shudder at the thought of a 3rd first round OT in four years, and doubly so because our starters for the playoff game were a UDFA and a 5th rounder, it's not like Rodgers jersey has been clean at the end of any game this past year.

Patler
02-17-2013, 12:25 PM
There were rumors last year that Lang was getting snaps at center.
As a rookie, Bulaga was well on his way to beating out Colledge as the starting LG, until an injury sidelined him.
Barclay was projected by some as a guard more than a tackle, and even as a center by some.
Who knows where Sherrod will fit in, if any place at all.

Another OT, if that is what TT wants, wouldn't bother me at all. If that is what it takes to put together a combination that can be as solid as the o-line of 10 years ago, so be it. I would really like to watch Rodgers drop back, have a clean pocket, and pick defenses apart play after play.

Pugger
02-18-2013, 11:45 AM
If we draft an O lineman I hope it is center. This is the one area there of real need IMO.

packrulz
02-18-2013, 12:40 PM
In my opinion, OLB, DE & RB have the best chance of paying immediate dividends in the first season. Offensive lineman usually take more time to develop, QB's and WR's are often busts, and NT/DT are unsung heroes who clog the middle. Likewise, DB's don't usually impact the first year, unless you're talking Nick Collins or Dion Sanders. I trust TT, but you have to hit on those first rounders, and it's a passing league, so you better snap up those top defensive players.

Spaulding
02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
If we draft an O lineman I hope it is center. This is the one area there of real need IMO.

Wouldn't mind seeing Barrett Jones in Green and Gold but some think that he may be a stretch as a late first rounder not to mention he's still recovering from injury.

Personally, I'd be more happy with BPA for defense given that seems to continue to be our Achilles heal and possibly going with Stankiewitch in the later rounds.

Pugger
02-18-2013, 02:14 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing Barrett Jones in Green and Gold but some think that he may be a stretch as a late first rounder not to mention he's still recovering from injury.

Personally, I'd be more happy with BPA for defense given that seems to continue to be our Achilles heal and possibly going with Stankiewitch in the later rounds.

Yes, BPA is the way we go but I think we should get a center somewhere in that draft.

Guiness
02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Yes, BPA is the way we go but I think we should get a center somewhere in that draft.

While I also think we need a center, I feel it's foolish to abandon the BPA at any point in the draft. There's too much potential for a late round gem, and any time you think differently, remind yourself where Driver was taken...or even Sitton.

One of the worst draft this franchise has seen in recent history was '99. Four picks spent on DBs as a response to Moss. One made an impact.

swede
02-18-2013, 05:29 PM
While I also think we need a center, I feel it's foolish to abandon the BPA at any point in the draft. There's too much potential for a late round gem, and any time you think differently, remind yourself where Driver was taken...or even Sitton.

One of the worst draft this franchise has seen in recent history was '99. Four picks spent on DBs as a response to Moss. One made an impact.

I assume you meant Mike McKenzie.

Fred Vinson also made a positive impact on the team, but in a more roundabout way. ;D

smuggler
02-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Somewhere in the draft or in UDFA we have to find a NT that can contribute (if not in 2013, then at least in 2014). If we don't we are in some pretty deep shit in 2014.

I think John Jenkins (Georgia) in the first or second or Brandon Williams (Missouri Southern) in the 3rd or 4th could probably fit that bill, but there are few guys like that in the draft.

A lot of people have us taking Jesse Williams from Alabama at 26 overall, but the dude cannot play NT in the pros. He's a 3-4 DE or a 3 tech DT in a 4-3.

Pugger
02-19-2013, 08:06 AM
I am leery of using a first round pick on an offensive tackle, as some have suggested the Packers do. It's a what-if, but -and it could happen - what if Sherrod and Bulaga come back healthy for camp? If you take an o-tackle in round one, you've got two young starters - Newhouse and Bulaga - plus a very solid back up in Barclay, plus Sherrod, plus another first rounder? That seems like too many high-round picks - 3 - at one position.

I'm also slightly leery of spending your first rounder on a safety, unless you're sure that 1) McMillan is not the answer, and, 2) that the guy you're picking is physically head and shoulders above any safety you've got now.

I trust TT and BPA, but in terms of matching need to BPA I'd prefer a defensive lineman or an inside linebacker, or maybe (only maybe) a running back, if MM promises to actually use him.

Plus a prospect in Datko! The position on the O line that should be addressed in the draft is C/G but not necessarily in the first.

I heard this is a good year for safeties in this draft class and we are still trying to replace Collins. :neutral:

3irty1
02-19-2013, 08:49 AM
The only way I can imagine the Packers drafting an offensive lineman in the 1st is if there is a guy like Barrett Jones, a starting center with the versatility to get you out of a game at any other position as well.

Fritz
02-20-2013, 06:50 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a center taken early on, but with two 1 picks already invested in the tackle spot, as well as two other guys who started last year, that's four tackles to choose from. I don't think the Packers have four safeties to choose from...

rbaloha1
02-20-2013, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a center taken early on, but with two 1 picks already invested in the tackle spot, as well as two other guys who started last year, that's four tackles to choose from. I don't think the Packers have four safeties to choose from...

Safeties to consider:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/john-cyprien?id=2539223

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/d.j.-swearinger?id=2539943

Pugger
02-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Swearinger might have that attitude we need on D...

Fritz
02-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Swearinger might have that attitude we need on D...

Frank Gore and Colin Kaepernick both ran right past Charles Woodson's great attitude.