PDA

View Full Version : Chris Canty Possible Visit to Packers

pbmax
02-22-2013, 06:21 PM
First this:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Free agent DL Chris Canty is lining up visits w/ Packers and Jags for after the combine.

Then this:

tom silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein
Source confirms @MikeGarafolo's report about DE Chris Canty drawing interest from the #Packers. A visit "is possible after the combine."

Guiness
02-22-2013, 06:32 PM
There was some chatter about Canty on PR last time he was an UFA. Does anyone remember if the Packers had a look at him, or was it just pie in the sky talk?

He's really tall, 6'7". His 30 now, and his knees have to be a concern. From Wikipedia

On August 27, 2012, Canty was placed on the physically unable to perform list after it was determined he would need more time to recover from off-season knee surgery.
then
Canty suffered a sprained MCL during the December 23, 2012 game

Couple that guy's height with his weight (north of 300lbs) and once these problems start, they could easily become chronic.

Bretsky
02-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Canty wont' get a lot of dough cause he's been hurt too much, but I'll take him any day in our rotation for the right price

George Cumby
02-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Canty wont' get a lot of dough cause he's been hurt too much, but I'll take him any day in our rotation for the right price

+1

rbaloha1
02-22-2013, 08:19 PM

Ditto

denverYooper
02-22-2013, 08:37 PM

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the Packers feel that way too.

red
02-22-2013, 08:37 PM
sounds like he's coming in after the combine is over

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/22/chris-canty-set-for-visits-with-packers-and-jaguars/

Chris Canty set for visits with Packers and Jaguars
Posted by Josh Alper on February 22, 2013, 6:07 PM EST

Defensive lineman Chris Canty has gotten an offer from the Titans since his release from the Giants, but he’s not ready to stop looking for a new team to call his own.

Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports that Canty will visit with the Packers and Jaguars after the combine comes to a close. The Packers had a lot of interest in Canty when he was a free agent after the 2008 season, but he wound up signing with the Giants instead of waiting on an offer from Green Bay. Things are working a bit differently this time, which might be an advantage of being able to look for jobs while those waiting for free agency have to refrain — publicly, at least — from exploring new opportunities.

The Jaguars have defensive lineman Terrance Knighton and George Selvie heading toward free agency and need to do a better job at both rushing the passer and stopping the run next season. Canty can fit in a variety of roles up front and would likely play tackle for Jacksonville while filling an end spot if he wound up in Green Bay.

Because General Manager Dave Gettleman worked for the Giants, there was some thought the Panthers would also be interested in Canty. As of now, though, we only know that he’s heard from Carolina players.

Smeefers
02-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Canty would be a great addition. My only worry is him being injury prone. We have a defense full of guys who can't stay on the field. I hate paying another guy who only plays 8 games in a year. If you can get him for a fair market price though, I think it's a no brainer. I might even over pay a little bit to get him. We need that pass rush.

Patler
02-23-2013, 11:11 AM
There was some chatter about Canty on PR last time he was an UFA. Does anyone remember if the Packers had a look at him, or was it just pie in the sky talk?

When the Giants released him, I linked an article from when he signed with the Giants. The article said he was scheduled to fly to GB after the Giants visit, but cancelled when he visited the Giants and they made an immediate offer.

swede
02-23-2013, 02:57 PM
My magic 8 ball is not impressed. There is a bad knee thing going on with Canty that is probably not headed in the right direction given that the knee is attached to a 6'7" 300 some pounder on the wrong side of thirty. As usual with free agents you are not hiring who they were, you are hiring who you think they will be.

If your brother let's you buy his Madden game for a buck and then it has a big fricking scratch in it you know that a) you didn't get a good deal and b) your brother is STILL a jerk.

Edit: I was thinking that the above comment might have something to do with the Canty situation, but it may just be that I am still annoyed at my brother.

Guiness
02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
When the Giants released him, I linked an article from when he signed with the Giants. The article said he was scheduled to fly to GB after the Giants visit, but cancelled when he visited the Giants and they made an immediate offer.

So they did want to look at him, but never got the opportunity.

given that the knee is attached to a 6'7" 300 some pounder

That was my point above - and he's had problems with his knee(s?) twice recently. I couldn't find out if the surgery and the sprained MCL were on the same knee.

swede
02-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by swede
given that the knee is attached to a 6'7" 300 some pounder

That was my point above...

I've got to stop plagiarizing from a post in the same thread. Too easy to get caught.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery would you be willing to believe that theft is even sincerer?

Guiness
02-24-2013, 07:09 PM
I've got to stop plagiarizing from a post in the same thread. Too easy to get caught.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery would you be willing to believe that theft is even sincerer?

lol, at least wait until it's on a different page!

Joemailman
02-24-2013, 11:08 PM

My recollection is that Canty's agent wanted an offer on the table from the Packers before they would visit Green Bay. My sense was that they wanted it to use as leverage with the Giants. Canty was from New York and had played college ball at Virginia. He wanted to go to either Washington or New York. When Washington signed Albert Haynesworth, they were no longer interested in Canty, so Canty's agent wanted another offer from another team to use as leverage with the Giants. It's doubtful Canty had any real interest in going to Green Bay at the time. It might be a different story now, as he is in less demand than he was in 2009.

pbmax
02-25-2013, 08:35 AM
My recollection is that Canty's agent wanted an offer on the table from the Packers before they would visit Green Bay. My sense was that they wanted it to use as leverage with the Giants. Canty was from New York and had played college ball at Virginia. He wanted to go to either Washington or New York. When Washington signed Albert Haynesworth, they were no longer interested in Canty, so Canty's agent wanted another offer from another team to use as leverage with the Giants. It's doubtful Canty had any real interest in going to Green Bay at the time. It might be a different story now, as he is in less demand than he was in 2009.

That fits, because one of the problems T2 presents to agents and his pro personnel people is that he rarely telegraphs an offer prior to a visit. Its been specifically mentioned by agents and execs before. Its probably why the Packers seem to be the second or third stop, rather than the first.

sharpe1027
02-25-2013, 09:07 AM

That sounds right, and I am pretty sure there was a thread here that discussed it at the time. Great recall.

Fritz
02-25-2013, 02:48 PM
I like the idea from a fannish perspective - hey, I heard of that guy and I heard he wuz good! - but probably the posters mentioning the knee problems are correct. Maybe have a doc give him a look-see, and if he passes muster offer an incentive-laden contract?

MadScientist
02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Instead of has-been players, I like the sound of Ricky Jean-Francois better. Young backup blocked by stars on a very good defense. Sort of like the defensive line equivalent of Al Harris.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/packers-could-be-interested-in-ricky-jean-francois/
It would make a lot of sense for him to try a team that he could start, or at least get a lot of PT and has a chance for a SB. Since he was not a starter, he shouldn't break the bank.

Guiness
02-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Instead of has-been players, I like the sound of Ricky Jean-Francois better. Young backup blocked by stars on a very good defense. Sort of like the defensive line equivalent of Al Harris.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/packers-could-be-interested-in-ricky-jean-francois/
It would make a lot of sense for him to try a team that he could start, or at least get a lot of PT and has a chance for a SB. Since he was not a starter, he shouldn't break the bank.

Another guy that should be available is Roy Miller from Tampa Bay.

pittstang5
02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
If I recall correctly, Canty was a pretty good DE in the 3-4 defense that Dallas ran. When he went to the Giants, I scratched my head, wondering why he'd want to play for a 4-3 (I'm sure money had something to do with it as well). I think he fell off the face of the earth when he went to New York - maybe playing out of position, injuries, plus all the other DL studs New York has.

If he's 100% healthy, can't hurt to bring him in.

smuggler
02-26-2013, 06:42 PM
I'd rather have Cullen Jenkins back, tbh.

Pugger
02-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Evidently when J. Smith was out Jean-Francois didn't impress. :sad:

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Evidently when J. Smith was out Jean-Francois didn't impress. :sad:

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/01/the-green-bay-packers-show-interest-in-two-key-free-agents/

Realistically with the rumour of a new contract for Aaron Rodgers and other big players on the roster soon due more money. Where will more long term contract money come from in order to go after the likes of men for our DL like Chris Canty and Ricky Jean Francois?

I hope that TT does bring in a player from FA to take some pressure off his draft but player (s). I hope that TT and Aaron Rodgers are close.

The Shadow
03-01-2013, 07:28 PM
I would like to see DE Hunt in a Packers uniform.

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 07:39 PM
I would like to see DE Hunt in a Packers uniform.

Some serious upside and dedication in that man.

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 07:41 PM
(Chris) Canty to visit Packers on Wednesday

Mar. 1, 2013 5:56 PM,

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130301/PKR0101/130301052/Canty-visit-Packers-Wednesday

woodbuck27
03-01-2013, 07:59 PM
I'd rather have Cullen Jenkins back, tbh.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000146287/article/cullen-jenkins-reportedly-has-sixplus-suitors-in-line

Cullen Jenkins reportedly has six-plus suitors in line

By Marc Sessler ... Around the League Writer

Published: March 1, 2013 at 04:27 p.m

" Sources told Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Jenkins, outside of the Giants, has no less than six additional suitors lined up to take a look at the 32-year-old. Not one of those teams is the Green Bay Packers, according to Silverstein, but Green Bay does plan to visit with former Giants defensive tackle Chris Canty next Wednesday." Fr. LINK